Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*TY OFF-TOPIC THREAD* 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

That's awful! :( they do the same in our school if you don't go on the end of year camping trip- which is utterly unfair, especially when you consider just how expensive TY is, meaning that by the time we reach May, many people are simply not going to be able to afford to pay €200 to go camping!

TY has been a major disappointment since Christmas- we have had the grand total of three workshops. We go on work experience after the midterm though so it works out that we only have three weeks in school from midterm to Easter! :D Apparently the few weeks after Easter are the best all year so hopefully things will pick up after that!

How has TY been for everyone else since Christmas?

Average enough - we had debating until the end of January but we unfortunately got knocked out :( it'll pick up though after midterm, going to UCD for a course the week after midterm and then I suppose we'll start planning our fashion show. We have a week of work experience in May and then a week in Cappanalea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

TY has been fairly boring for me since Christmas. There was much more going on before Christmas. A lot of the time lots of people are missing for various reasons so we don't do much.

I have work experience soon so that should be a nice break. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

ElmW13 wrote: »
    Average enough - we had debating until the end of January but we unfortunately got knocked out :( it'll pick up though after midterm, going to UCD for a course the week after midterm and then I suppose we'll start planning our fashion show. We have a week of work experience in May and then a week in Cappanalea

The fashion show is so much fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

That's awful! :( they do the same in our school if you don't go on the end of year camping trip- which is utterly unfair, especially when you consider just how expensive TY is, meaning that by the time we reach May, many people are simply not going to be able to afford to pay €200 to go camping!

How has TY been for everyone else since Christmas?

Since Christmas? Dismal to say the least. Went to one horrifying yet insightful workshop on road safety and that's about it. Certain degree of exclusion or even alienation of the students not going on the foreign trip... by the teachers, not the students actually going.

But still I maintain that it's a small price for me to pay, considering that September to Christmas 2014 was the best time I've had in my entire time in school, thanks to our school musical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I've been finding TY boring enough. Nothing special has happened apart from a couple of guest speakers here and there. It's been awhile since we've done anything outdoors and fun but looking at the timetable and from what i hear, the last term of school is the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Apart from our carlingford trip at the start of the year, TY has been fairly boring. I've been busy, but thats mainly because of a crapload of projects we need to do to get credits. There's a hike/go karting on tuesday, which should be good, except that only about 20 people who've been deemed to have 'pulled their weight' will be going. I know I'll end up hiking :(

We're also doing subject choices. How does it work in other schools. In mine, you give a list of preferences and then a timetable is made, and its constantly changed until it suits almost everyone. Do other schools go to so much trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

In our school we give a list of choices with our preferences and then they give us lines and you pick one subject from each line.What subjects do you think you'll pick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

I think accounting and art are definites for me, and then its a toss up between biology, business and geography, though I'm leaning towards biology so I have a good mix. I don't think my parents are too keen on me doing art, but I'll do it anyway :D I don't think that combination will have too much rote-learning (except biology) which suits me. What about you?

Eims14 wrote: »
    In our school we give a list of choices with our preferences and then they give us lines and you pick one subject from each line.What subjects do you think you'll pick?

French, Biology and Chemistry for definite and then maybe art, business, history or geography. I'm undecided really for the last one

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

We're doing work experience every Friday, and if you don't have work experience, you get a lie on, cause there's no insurance for us to be on the school property! :D I just missed the past week by doing work in BT2 which was amazing, but overall TY has been boring the past few weeks.
    Out of 140 of us, 74 are going on the UK trip to Alton Towers as its like 330 euros! We're also going to the ghaeltacht for two days in may which is 140 euros and then carlingford was the same.
    Ty is so expensive. Hate going home to my parents asking for tenner sand twenties for day trips nall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

I think we have to pick our subjects in April. I'm going to pick French, History, Physics and Economics (or Business possibly).

Our school really don't do overseas trips - we were meant to go to Paris in second year but that was cancelled. There was a French exchange last year but third years weren't allowed to go even though we had organised the connection with the other school. There's the German exchange but I think that's been cut.

Doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and French.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

French, Biology and Chemistry for definite and then maybe art, business, history or geography. I'm undecided really for the last one

I'm the exact same!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

It looks like Hamlet is our Shakespearean play for Leaving Cert. http://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Curriculum-and-Syllabus/Senior-Cycle-/Syllabuses-and-Guidelines/?pageNumber=4
    Overall the syllabus looks nice enough but I don't know many of the poets...

It looks like Hamlet is our Shakespearean play for Leaving Cert. http://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Curriculum-and-Syllabus/Senior-Cycle-/Syllabuses-and-Guidelines/?pageNumber=4
    Overall the syllabus looks nice enough but I don't know many of the poets...

They're not the worst, I know about two of the poets. Though, I'll know enough of them come the Leaving Cert :D

They're not the worst, I know about two of the poets. Though, I'll know enough of them come the Leaving Cert :D

True :D unfortunately :(
    When do ye have to have your subject choice forms back in? Mine has to be in by March 6th :(

True :D unfortunately :(
    When do ye have to have your subject choice forms back in? Mine has to be in by March 6th :(

We had to write down an idea of the subjects we were going to keep on last Tuesday - well have to do that another few times so they can work out time tablong for us to give everyone as many if their subjects as possible. Our years the biggest in the school and there's still a waiting list so it's gonna be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Anyone here at the YSI Speak Out in Mary I. today? :D

How's everybody's TY holding up?

Mine has slowed down a fair bit, and attendance is going down the toilet for roughly a third of my year (not including myself mind:D, I was told the other day I still had 100% attendance this year...in TY like.....TY of all things!). But we are still ticking along and always find something to do whether it's for the yearbook, or a project, or playing music or drama, or designing our TY hoodies.

A positive mentality seems to go a long way in TY

• Advertisement

Mine has slowed down a fair bit, and attendance is going down the toilet for roughly a third of my year (not including myself mind:D, I was told the other day I still had 100% attendance this year...in TY like.....TY of all things!). But we are still ticking along and always find something to do whether it's for the yearbook, or a project, or playing music or drama, or designing our TY hoodies.

We've started on our fashion show - started properly on Wednesday and in the last two days the committee have taken about 8 classes of meeting already and not done a whole lot to say the least.

The music teacher organised a "band" thingy, were learning to play Bohemian Rhapsody, it's good enough craic. It's average enough atm but it's hard to think its almost over

I just finished my last week of work experience today :( got an Easter egg though! :D

TY slowed down a lot (and I mean a LOT) for us between Christmas and the midterm but it picked back up again after that luckily! I was so glad I had loads to do outside school those few weeks though!

Favouritism is a major problem in our year with certain people being constantly chosen to help out at different events or help our year head organise different events. This is despite man of us going to the year head to complain about this :rolleyes:

I had perfect attendance from 1st- 3rd year...then I had to get sick in January and miss four days :(

Overall, TY is okay- there's definitely room for improvement in terms of how it is run and how it is structured, though. At this stage, I feel I am ready for fifth year and a bit of routine again- which I suppose is kind of the point of TY! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

Just got shortlisted for an EIL travel award, have a interview/activities day on sat. Anyone ever been before/ or going this Saturday?

Just got shortlisted for an EIL travel award, have a interview/activities day on sat. Anyone ever been before/ or going this Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

March has been pretty busy, with loads of presentations, Work experience, Workshops and finally first aid starting monday. :D I've been looking forward to it all year. :) Then after the easter holidays we have our trip to amsterdam and I am doing a sea survival and fire safety course. Then I think we just go outside and play soccer for the rest of the year :D

Favouritism is a major problem in our year with certain people being constantly chosen to help out at different events or help our year head organise different events.

Yes! This exactly! We have the exact same problem in our year...a closed circle of about 15 or 20 students always off doing something class behind the backs of the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Having a look at what some people here have done I feel like my TY was a waste, school gave us poor guidance, we lacked an abroad trip and usually just do normal classes and essays.

There's such a lack of resources online I'm amazed people find these competitions such as the EIL travel awards which I had never heard of.

Anyone else feel this way?

thetalker wrote: »
    "Having a look at what some people here have done I feel like my TY was a waste, school gave us poor guidance, we lacked an abroad trip and usually just do normal classes and essays.

There's such a lack of resources online I'm amazed people find these competitions such as the EIL travel awards which I had never heard of."
    End quote]

Reply: meganob
    My school is the exact same! Couldn't take not doing anything so took it upon myself to find stuff online. I found out about most of the stuff on a website called 'Tyireland.com' you should have a look but most comps are finished for the year! I only heard about it two months ago,busy ever since.
    Anyone else not get the subjects they wanted?
    About 35-40 in my TY year haven't got what they wanted! Is it the same for all schools or is it just mine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

meganob wrote: »
    thetalker wrote: »
    "Having a look at what some people here have done I feel like my TY was a waste, school gave us poor guidance, we lacked an abroad trip and usually just do normal classes and essays.

There's such a lack of resources online I'm amazed people find these competitions such as the EIL travel awards which I had never heard of."
    End quote]

Reply: meganob
    My school is the exact same! Couldn't take not doing anything so took it upon myself to find stuff online. I found out about most of the stuff on a website called 'Tyireland.com' you should have a look but most comps are finished for the year! I only heard about it two months ago,busy ever since.
    Anyone else not get the subjects they wanted?
    About 35-40 in my TY year haven't got what they wanted! Is it the same for all schools or is it just mine?

I think most people in our year got what they wanted. 35-40 people not getting the subjects they wanted is unacceptable, especially when it comes to this stage where it is the students future that can be affected. If something like this happened, I would consider changing school.

• Advertisement

We haven't picked our final subjects yet, we've put down the subjects we wanted and were going to get our lines next week and see how they work out. I picked French, biology, chemistry and geography. What did you guys pick?

Advertisement