Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*TY OFF-TOPIC THREAD* 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

What do you guys think about ringing places about work experience? Is it sort of unprofessional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Xgracie wrote: »
    What do you guys think about ringing places about work experience? Is it sort of unprofessional?

I'm really not sure. I heard it is better as it is harder for a manager to say no to an innocent teen looking to work in their company and much easier to decline by email/letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

Letters are better than emails as a letter has more impact so you're more likely to get a reply. The advantage of a phone call is it's harder for them to say no. I emailed several charity shops looking for a placement and they all replyed and said to ring.

I'm really not sure. I heard it is better as it is harder for a manager to say no to an innocent teen looking to work in their company and much easier to decline by email/letter

Yeah I think I'll email a few places tomorrow, what have I got to lose 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Pretty happy with all my teachers and my timetable, I'm trying metalwork next week hahaha, my tutor was kinda bad as I knew one person but ive just been talking to a few of the girls trying to act confident even though in the complete opposite hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

There is like 30 new people in my year :eek: :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

nanook5 wrote: »
    There is like 30 new people in my year :eek: :D

Haha do you go to a school that takes the rejects from the other schools?

Haha do you go to a school that takes the rejects from the other schools?

Basically it's all foreign students mainly Spanish who stay here for the year.There is some rejects I guess you could say haha or else their old school didn't do TY.

TY is basically compulsory in my school so no one skips really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

Start back tomorrow...watching Great British Bake-Off❤️

Basically it's all foreign students mainly Spanish who stay here for the year.There is some rejects I guess you could say haha or else their old school didn't do TY.

TY is basically compulsory in my school so no one skips really :)

Well Spanish students are different I suppose. In my school we have to apply and about 15 people didn't get it so half of them are moving school that's why I was wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Back tomorrow. :( Hope I'm in a decent class.
    Got my work experience sorted yesterday, though. ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

130 new first years in my place so I've heard. Only 108 when I started.

On the plus side, my bus is Leaving Cert free:D Just so happens that there is none, so we'll be a bit further to the back than we expected, and have a much more peaceful trip. Last year's bunch were headcases.

Also, our school's main woodwork teacher retired. He was our Year Head for first, second, and third year. Great teacher; the school won't be the same, he was great craic.

Also, rumours are emerging that our TY musical will be "Finian's Rainbow" or something. Never heard of it. But that's not to say that the original rumour of Hairspray has been dispelled just yet.

Just got work experience with a barrister based in the criminal court omg to say I'm delighted is a total understatement!!!!! :D

Just got work experience with a barrister based in the criminal court omg to say I'm delighted is a total understatement!!!!! :D

Very Good :D

Can I ask why does everyone here seem to be looking for work experience posts so early. Most TYs aren't even back at school. I'd say there's only about 5 people in my whole year who've even looked for work experience yet.

Can I ask why does everyone here seem to be looking for work experience posts so early. Most TYs aren't even back at school. I'd say there's only about 5 people in my whole year who've even looked for work experience yet.

Most places I've emailed have been full lol it just depends what you're looking for I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

There's no harm in doing it as early as you can. If you leave it to the last minute it will be harder to get work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dublinyeayea

Heyy :)! I was just wondering , are any of yee doing anything for results day? /what are yee doing?
    Just curious 😊
    I'm not sure if there's anything planned for my results day

Heyy :)! I was just wondering , are any of yee doing anything for results day? /what are yee doing?
    Just curious 😊

Discooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dublinyeayea

Discooooo

Oh a disco that seems nice , cuz where I live there used to be discos but now all the discos are for first years and below

• Advertisement

Just curious 😊

Not sure yet. Will have to give the local disco a miss because it has just gained a reputation for results night being (unfortunately) an alcohol-fuelled free-for-all.

Probably stare at results for an hour or two and think about what could have been.:D

+1 on the disco! Will more than likely end up at one dunno which yet tho

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

First day of TY is over :) hopefully I will enjoy the year but I have a feeling I am going to be bored by Christmas :( oh well- I'll just have to do loads of stuff outside school! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

+1 on disco here too.Looking forward to that to distract myself from thinking of results :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

@ComputerKing
    Literally everyone in my year had work experience organised and today was the first day back.

I'm not sure how the year is gonna be for me.
    Seems ok so far - but not too sure on the "doss" part, seems like we're gonna be doing a lot of work in all subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

It was mixed in our year.with work experience some people hadnt even started looking and some people had already gotten a few weeks.
    I dont think the year will be that much of a doss but I havent had a proper day in school yet so ill see after tomorrow :P

Falling asleep after 4 and waking up at 7 is always fun

In happier news we're going on a bonding trip to Delphi in like 2 weeks and the ploughing after that and we're doing a French exchange! And I'm gonna do the young scientist :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

Ahhh Thats were all of youse went now I see all the familiar names...:D

• Advertisement

First day done. Great to catch up with friends but besides that...meh.

Absolutely beautiful timetable. Maths, English and Irish only featuring 3 times a week each. Only problem is that we're stuck with a few mediocre teachers, which is understandable considering the large exam years this time round.

Looking forward to it

Advertisement