Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC trying to boot from External USB HDD

Options
  • 13-06-2014 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭

After coming fresh out of Work Experience with I.T and learning how to change boot orders on rusty old XP computers, I'm not even sure how to do it on my own rig (it's brand new, still getting the hang of it), how tragic!

But I have to unplug my external HDD before I turn my PC on so that I don't get "error loading operating system" because my PC tries to boot off of the thing when it's plugged it and I don't want it to.

At first, I didnt realize what was going on. I clicked F11 and manually had to boot from the internal HD to get it going, but I shouldn't have to.

My question is; how do I stop it from trying to boot from the external (without needing to unhook it)

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You answered your own question,
    By changing the boot order in your BIOS

Depending on your system board, the BIOS will be different to others, so maybe if you post the brand/model someone here might be able to assist you further, or screen caps, photos etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

You probably need to go into your BIOS by hitting the F10 key at the welcome screen and changing the options in the boot menu to allow for the hard drive to boot first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I fixed it. I found the hard drive I needed to boot from. The BIOS just looked too scary at first, all graphical, but I managed. Thanks lads.

Advertisement