Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepping for the Himalayas

Options
  • 13-06-2014 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I'm trekking in the Himalayas for a few days in the autumn. It will be 3000 metres max I think (trying to get a context I believe Everest is 8000m, carrantuohill 1000m). Having being very fit up to 1 year ago, before I started a new, sedentary job (zero movement barely from 9 to 5, I drive there cannot cycle) - I feel a tad nervous. I hate the gym - I walk /do 10,000 steps daily (monitoring!) but nothing too intense and at weekends I do a trek or hike on one day. Not sure what to do/focus on. Personal trainer? Couch to 5k? Kettlebells/muscle gain?? I've so little time in the evenings (home late from work daily) - I really can't rely on scheduled classes. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Sounds to me like you'll be fine? 3000m isn't too high. Unless you're planning on doing the trek really fast or are going for long hours without rest you won't need specific training beyond the hiking you're already doing. Also, if you're doing an organised trek chances are you'll be paced to suit the slowest tourist gringo so they won't push you hard. Myself and the missus were out there ten years ago, did the Annapurna Sanctuary ourselves, I was reasonably fit, she had no fitness at all and still made it to 4000m odd and back a day inside the recommended time with no real problems at all.

Enjoy it, the Himalayas are unbeliveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Simple things like always walking where possible, using stairs instead of lift, parking far away from work or shops etc will help you get in some extra activity during ordinary days.

Will you have porters on your trip? Find out what you will need to carry each day and get used to hiking/walking with that much. Also make sure you have tried and tested all your gear. Don't try getting used some new pack or something just before you you go.

Also try to do as much of your walking on terrain that is similar to what you will face. If you aren't used to uneven/rocky terrain then your calves/ankles will take a pounding.

Try to get in 2 days of training together as much as possible - successive days will be a big step up from single day workouts. Some cross training like swimming or any other sport will benefit. Don't try anything too crazy like cross-fit or kettlebells in an intensive boot camp style program. You don't want to do yourself an injury. If you do add something new to the regime, do it well ahead of time so that any niggles you get will be gone.

3000m shouldn't be too high. Most fit people can tackle Kilimanjaro, which is just under 6000m, so 3000 should be doable.

Any time you are walking, walk as fast as you can - it will help build up some fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pinkmonkey045

a148pro wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you'll be fine? 3000m isn't too high. Unless you're planning on doing the trek really fast or are going for long hours without rest you won't need specific training beyond the hiking you're already doing. Also, if you're doing an organised trek chances are you'll be paced to suit the slowest tourist gringo so they won't push you hard. Myself and the missus were out there ten years ago, did the Annapurna Sanctuary ourselves, I was reasonably fit, she had no fitness at all and still made it to 4000m odd and back a day inside the recommended time with no real problems at all.

Thank you both! I'm a bit more reassured. Yeah there's porters for luggage so I mighty just need a few extra to carry me :)

Plus you've had a good long sleep before replying to this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Youd amazed how fast your body adapts to back to back days of exercise. You'll be fine. Sounds like a great trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Get a couple of long steep descents in.
    I've always suffered brutal pain in my quad muscles after a day out in Kerry or other places with long steep descents, where in Wicklow, the descents are more gentle and you're not stepping down repeatedly for several hundred metres.

Get a couple of long steep descents in.
    I've always suffered brutal pain in my quad muscles after a day out in Kerry or other places with long steep descents, where in Wicklow, the descents are more gentle and you're not stepping down repeatedly for several hundred metres.

This is good advice, there's different muscles involved. Try Slieve Donard in the Mournes.

How many days was the 4000m done in?? I'm intrigued!
    Did you experience altitude impact at all? I'm
    Presuming there's none at 3000m (from what I've read!). thanks!

I think it was in about 7 - 8 days return from Pokhara, got a bus up to some turn in the road and then just walked. Was during the civil war / unrest so there were very few tourists around, was a cool time to visit, albeit you felt sorry for the locals.

I don't remember any negative effect from the altitude, beyond vomiting post one angel delight type dessert, and waking up to a shuddering noise during the night convincing myself it was a bear banging the door of our lodge (it was actually a small earthquake!).

You will definitely find it harder to exercise at 3000 meters plus, some even notice it earlier, but you're unlikely to get alcohol sickness below 3000 and realistically below 4000. We didn't sleep above 3000 I don't think.

In Bolivia we went from 2000m to 5000m by road and then climbed a 5600m peak. I took diamox the day before (self prescribed) but the missus didn't and we were both grand. Slept at 4400m a day or two later and had one of the best sleeps of my life! I usually struggle to sleep on a ski holiday, particularly in any high resort!

I think it was in about 7 - 8 days return from Pokhara, got a bus up to some turn in the road and then just walked. Was during the civil war / unrest so there were very few tourists around, was a cool time to visit, albeit you felt sorry for the locals.

I don't remember any negative effect from the altitude, beyond vomiting post one angel delight type dessert, and waking up to a shuddering noise during the night convincing myself it was a bear banging the door of our lodge (it was actually a small earthquake!).

You will definitely find it harder to exercise at 3000 meters plus, some even notice it earlier, but you're unlikely to get alcohol sickness below 3000 and realistically below 4000. We didn't sleep above 3000 I don't think.

In Bolivia we went from 2000m to 5000m by road and then climbed a 5600m peak. I took diamox the day before (self prescribed) but the missus didn't and we were both grand. Slept at 4400m a day or two later and had one of the best sleeps of my life! I usually struggle to sleep on a ski holiday, particularly in any high resort!

Ha! I will stay off the angel delights!!

This is a 5 day total. For the trek -3 up 2 down... Last question.......(before I let you go!!!!) SHOES. I have hiking boots (the just-above-ankle-ones which I have only worn a few times) and I will bring runners in case of rubbing hell or anything..,., am I mad? Should I be getting some proper advice from great outdoors or somewhere?! I think I'll be grand but am far too laid back in general..,! Please warn me if alarm
    Bells should be going off in my head. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That can happen at any altitude! :)

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    That can happen at any altitude! :)

Lol! On my skitrips I certainly get alcohol sickness!

pinkmonkey you absolutely need hiking boots and they should be comfortable. The point of them is that go above the ankle thus preventing you from going over on an ankle and spraining it. Runners are not a good idea for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

You've probably gone at this stage so this might be too late.

Wear your existing boots everywhere - even at home - make sure they're completely broken in. If they don't have GoreTex in them, treat them with some waterproofing wax/whatever. Bring Compeed for any blisters that might arise. Bring spare laces.

Depending on the loop you're doing, Mountain/Altitude Sickness might or might not be an issue. It can kick in anywhere above 2500m and at any time to anyone. There are no hard and fast rules other than in my limited experience, it seems to be younger, fitter people who suffer more. I'm middle-aged and not-thin and an ex-smoker, I was grand and eschewed Diamox (even above 5000m). The symptoms can range from constant mild headache (just chug back Aspirin or equiv) to severe headache (chug back more Aspirin/whatever), stomach upset, sleep disturbance. One solution is to drink loads - and I mean loads - 5 litres a day would be good. Try to eat as much as you can stomach. Bring medication for diarrhoea. But the likelihood is that you won't suffer it at all :) Just be aware and bring precautions.

You should be prepared to carry a well-fitting pack which can hold change of clothes and probably 3 or 4 litres of water + snack. You drink a lot up there and will sweat and exhale most of it out. Bring iodine drops to purify water and something to mask the taste (e.g. Rubex, Berocca) because you won't always have access to bottled water.

Bring a camera, something not too heavy because the higher you go, the heavier it'll seem. Bring batteries, loads of them. Bring a phone, you might get coverage the odd time and texts home are always fun. Bring walking poles for the descents. Bring a hat. Bring a bandana. Bring sun screen. Bring wipes for personal hygiene, showers are much sought after and in short supply up there.

Putting it all into context, the last time I was up there was 4 years ago - I received a call on a Friday morning and I was gone the next Thursday so absolutely NO prep other than my regular spin regime in the gym. No mountain prep at all. I was grand, I picked up a lot of fitness on the trail.

The place is amazing, I'm jealous.

Advertisement