Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boiler.. inside or out?

• 13-06-2014 1:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

I need a new combi boiler. Probably going to get a condensing model oil fire bird/grant.

The house has been raided, they took the radiators, boiler, water cylinder in hot press, outside oil tank and back boiler pump (behind the open fire).

Shall I replace the outside boiler, or go with an inside one?

There is plenty of room inside, and I wonder why outside boilers are so popular, as heat MUST be lost to the outside, no?. In my old house, the warmest room was the utility, where the firebird was located. Is there a BiG price difference???

I need 15 rads (2500sq ft modern 4 bed house)
    A back boiler water pump
    Oil tank replaced
    Water cylinder
    New combi boiler (inside or outside?)

How much for supply, flush & fit??? All pipes are in place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

I'm a full time oil service eng.

Advantages and disadvantages on both.

I HATE indoor boilers when things go wrong.
    Having ro clean out a load of soot in a lovely white utility room.
    Oil leak that has gone under the tyles before it's discovered.
    When there's no problem their great, but in my job I see the ones with problems.

What area are you in and we might be able to recommend someone.

PS . ( I don't install )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

househero wrote: »
    I need a new combi boiler. Probably going to get a condensing model oil fire bird/grant.

The house has been raided, they took the radiators, boiler, water cylinder in hot press, outside oil tank and back boiler pump (behind the open fire).

Shall I replace the outside boiler, or go with an inside one?

There is plenty of room inside, and I wonder why outside boilers are so popular, as heat MUST be lost to the outside, no?. In my old house, the warmest room was the utility, where the firebird was located. Is there a BiG price difference???

I need 15 rads (2500sq ft modern 4 bed house)
    A back boiler water pump
    Oil tank replaced
    Water cylinder
    New combi boiler (inside or outside?)

How much for supply, flush & fit??? All pipes are in place.

You won't be needing a cylinder if your getting a combi boiler installed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

sullzz wrote: »
    You won't be needing a cylinder if your getting a combi boiler installed .

I did mean to write condensing boiler. But now that you mention it a combi may be worth the extra $.

I'm not sure if not having a cylinder is an option with a back boiler??? Doesn't the open fire back boiler hot water feed the cylinder for storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Yes you will require a cylinder with a back boiler.
    Grant do a wall hung outdoor condensing oil boiler also, if that suits better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Id only fit a oil boiler inside if id no other option. Hate them inside.

last time I priced combi oil were near double the price

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Would the wall hung boiler not be a bit small?

I'm going to start a new thread, I'd like your opinion on a indoor vs outdoor boiler running cost (efficiency)

As heat must be lost in running a heating appliance outside in Ireland.

I'm going to start a new thread, I'd like your opinion on a indoor vs outdoor boiler running cost (efficiency)

As heat must be lost in running a heating appliance outside in Ireland.

Please reply here...
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057230987/1/#post90859301

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Id only fit a oil boiler inside if id no other option. Hate them inside.

last time I priced combi oil were near double the price

Why do you hate them?

I find the noise oddly relaxing and in my old house the indoor firebird really kicked off some heat directly from the unit its self...i wouldn't want to spend hard earned $ heating outside.

Outdoor boilers look ugly, bulky and rusty quickly, instead of tidy and away under a counter top. Just my opinion. I'd like to compare the running costs and see if its worth the work of knocking a hole in my external wall for the chimney and rerouting the oil lines.

Why do you hate them?

I find the noise oddly relaxing and in my old house the indoor firebird really kicked off some heat directly from the unit its self...i wouldn't want to spend hard earned $ heating outside.

Outdoor boilers look ugly, bulky and rusty quickly, instead of tidy and away under a counter top. Just my opinion. I'd like to compare the running costs and see if its worth the work of knocking a hole in my external wall for the chimney and rerouting the oil lines.

All the replys you already got with opinions and reasons were from professional plumbers and installers.
    Outdoor running costs are minuscule, boilers are highly insulated and have frost protection thermostat.

I've posted my reasons previously.

As we've said, we see things when they go wrong. And always the customer commented " Why didn't we put it outside when building"
    There great when things don't go wrong.
    + they can be painted, normal lifespan 20+ years if there minded.

Don't get me wrong, most people do not have problems with indoor boilers, but we do see the ones with problems.

Bit like buying a car with only one air bag because you've never had a crash before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭anto3473

My thoughts are if you go for an inside boiler you are forever stuck with a machine in your kitchen, Want to get a wider fridge later? too bad... There is also the noise and risk of carbon monoxide, and the heat.. in winter it's nice but when you are just using it for hot water in the summer the boiler can make the kitchen annoyingly warmer.

If you go for outside you can put in an extra cabinet. it may be less efficient but if it were me I'd never again go for an inside boiler... then again my boiler has pissed me off so many times over the years I'm a bit biased, the guy that installed it and repaired it turned out was a total cowboy and made every possible screw up and some impossible ones too..

scudo2 wrote: »
    All the replys you already got with opinions and reasons were from professional plumbers and installers.
    Outdoor running costs are minuscule, boilers are highly insulated and have frost protection thermostat.

I've posted my reasons previously.

As we've said, we see things when they go wrong. And always the customer commented " Why didn't we put it outside when building"
    There great when things don't go wrong.
    + they can be painted, normal lifespan 20+ years if there minded.

Don't get me wrong, most people do not have problems with indoor boilers, but we do see the ones with problems.

Bit like buying a car with only one air bag because you've never had a crash before.

The pipes for the old boiler run outside so I was looking hard for a reason to move it inside, the utility is bigger than the kitchen in my old place, so room was never an issue. If the heat lost outside is negligible, then the new one will go outside too. As i understand oil messes, it did happen when i had an inside boiler, it wasnt anything to cry about though.

I still find it hard to believe that there is not a considerable amount of heat lost outside... maybe my old utility firebird just ran hot???it kicked off heat equivalent
    to at least one full sized Rad.

As you clearly know what your talking about, what condensing boiler would you recommend for 18 rads 2500sq ft C1 BER. And a ballpark cost for STD condensing or condensing combi? Might not be worth getting the combi. I saw tescodirect had some very good deals on... but not no more, maybe its seasonal.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I have seen a house in Ashbourne burn to the ground with an indoor oil boiler, with the family lucky to escape some years back.

I have seen and outside oil boiler also involved in a fire, the cabinet contained the fire, and restricted the air, not allowing it to get out of hand, the only damage other than to the appliance was a small scorch mark on the wall and concrete pad.

The pipes for the old boiler run outside so I was looking hard for a reason to move it inside, the utility is bigger than the kitchen in my old place, so room was never an issue. If the heat lost outside is negligible, then the new one will go outside too. As i understand oil messes, it did happen when i had an inside boiler, it wasnt anything to cry about though.

I still find it hard to believe that there is not a considerable amount of heat lost outside... maybe my old utility firebird just ran hot???it kicked off heat equivalent
    to at least one full sized Rad.

As you clearly know what your talking about, what condensing boiler would you recommend for 18 rads 2500sq ft C1 BER. And a ballpark cost for STD condensing or condensing combi? Might not be worth getting the combi. I saw tescodirect had some very good deals on... but not no more, maybe its seasonal.

Grant Vortex Boiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

As long as you insulate the pipes its minimal losses.

Your old indoor one probably had no insulation around it.

+1 Grant Vortex boiler. I have one for five years, outside, neat cabinet, no rust or deterioration at all inside, super efficient, low oil consumption, very happy indeed.

+1 Grant Vortex boiler. I have one for five years, outside, neat cabinet, no rust or deterioration at all inside, super efficient, low oil consumption, very happy indeed.

How much did it set you back if you dont mind me asking? (how bigs your house/what KW rating is the boiler) :)

How much did it set you back if you dont mind me asking? (how bigs your house/what KW rating is the boiler) :)

Apologies for the delay, it's a 15/26kw and the house is 140m², B3 BER

I bought the house new so don't know the cost of the boiler, sorry

Advertisement