Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One month ban from Horseracing forum

Options
  • 13-06-2014 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭

I'm probably wasting my time doing this, but nevertheless, I'd like to put it on record that I received a one month ban from the Horseracing forum for posting about the World Cup in what is supposed to be an "Off-topic" thread. The thread in question was not overrun with posters. There were only about 3 or 4 regular horseracing Boardsies posting, and the total number of posts probably amounted to between 20 and 30.
    I have no interest in "applying" to join the Soccer Forum, and I have zero inclination in interacting with the people who frequent that forum.
    If an off-topic thread is allowed in a particular forum, then surely the arbitrary nature of what can and cannot be discussed (as laid down by a particular mod) renders the whole raison d'etre of the concept of an off-topic thread wholly redundant, as long as the thread in question does not contain defamatory or offensive content?

As I said, I'm probably wasting my time here, but the ridiculous way in which a mod may decree what can and cannot be contained in an off-topic thread does no favour to Boards, and in many ways renders it amateurish and pedantic in the extreme.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hi Harry,

Beasty, quite clearly posted in the thread that World Cup talk was off limits and people didnt obey his request, so much so that he had to post his warning a couple of times.

FYI, the Soccer Forum is now open for anybody to go and discuss the World Cup and thats the way we want it. An off topic thread is usually setup for that, off topic chat, geenral discussion but when you're talking about the World Cup and we've a specific forum where it can be discussed, all the Soccer chat should go their accordingly, same as if you guys started talking about any other subject broadly, that had a forum on Boards.

Thats the reason for having forums so the caht specific to each forum can take place there.

Now to the ban, Beasty posted up the following,
    Beasty wrote: »
    For anyone that's wodering, yes I'e started issuing cards over the continued ignoring of my in-thread warnings about World Cup talk. Sanctions will start to escalate particularly where posters come into the forum to discuss soccer and very little that has much to do with Horse Racing

This was to stop World Cup chat and it wasnt his first warning, you yourself got a yellow card minutes before Beastys warning went up to stop talking about the World Cup but you came back after Beastys above warning, questioning the decision before you were banned :
    Off-topic thread. Why have one at all?
    I wonder if I start chatting about croquet, would I also receive a warning?

As a result, I'm upholding the original ban.

At this time you may request an Admin review of this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I didn't for a minute expect my ban to be overturned. I just wanted to put it on the record, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Understood, you've got the feedback thread to whcih I see you've posted in.

Do you want me to mark this resolved or would you like an Admin to review the decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

There's no need Gav. Thanks anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement