Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birdman (Alejandro González Iñárritu)

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Caught it just before it left the cinemas, and I suspect in years to come the aspect Birdman will be solely remembered for will be its technical accomplishment, joining the relatively short list of 'one take' films, whose legacy surrounds what can be a bit of a gimmick. Separate to others such as Hitchcock's Rope, whose camera felt stagy and detached, the manner in which the camera wove and danced around the characters left me with a sense that perhaps the real main character in this ensemble film was the theatre itself.

With the exception of one or two scenes, the bulk of the action took place within and outside the walls of the St. James Theatre and I felt like the viewer was the building itself, drifting from person to person, observing the odd, maniacal humans agitating themselves in pursuit of a dream. And a dream it was: Michael Keaton's character may have been the most ostensibly insane person in the cast (at least, I think so), but the film felt like an angry assault on the world of theatre, or at least the version we like to think that exists, full of snobbery, pretension and a barely-concealed contempt for those acting in the 'lesser' arts. Lindsay Duncan and Edward Norton appeared themselves untethered from reality, as unhinged as Keaton's Riggan Thompson.

Generally, I enjoyed the film though; even if it was occasionally quirky to a fault, it had energy, wit and enough humour to make the time fly by. Definitely not to everyone's taste, and the aforementioned quirks might alienate, but it's not the most indigestible movie a person could see over the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

I thought this film was excellent. Stylish, well cut, decent performances, the film breaks out of any particular mold.

I think what I enjoyed the most was how aware of itself it was, Norton and Keaton playing up to their difficult actor types they've been labelled with throughout their careers. Slating superhero films and critics alike.

Not perfect, but a very brave and visually stunning film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Possibly the worst film I have ever seen in my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Glad you resurrected this long dead thread to tell us that. You make some interesting points there worthy of further debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

Which of the 12 other films you've seen was the best?

El Duda wrote: »
    Which of the 12 other films you've seen was the best?

Do you think you're funny or something?

Glad you resurrected this long dead thread to tell us that. You make some interesting points there worthy of further debate.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

What's the best film you've ever seen in your life?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Enough of the bickering, folks. Keep it friendly please.

/mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

mcgooch wrote: »

This, is a great question... at least top 3..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Wasn't for me. Had to turn it off after 15 minutes.

mcgooch wrote: »

Not that it in anyway affects this thread I'd say City of God or Carlito's Way

Advertisement