Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master Degree and MBA module overlap

Options
  • 13-06-2014 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hello

Over the next few years I plan on doing a Masters Degree with the possibility of continuing to do an MBA.

Somebody recently tipped me off that if sometimes there is an overlap of modules between some the two types of courses.

For example, if I did a masters in something then continued to do an MBA, both in Smurfit, then there is the possibility that I would be exempt from a number of modules in the MBA as they would have been covered in the masters.

This would be beneficial as it would possibly reduce workload during the MBA (and fees too ?)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Of course if you do a business related masters course there's a high probability that there will be some overlap with an MBA course. Even if the module code/title isn't the same you'll have overlap.

Will they reduce your fees for the subsequent course? Probably not.
    Will you gain an exemption for the module in the second masters course you do? Perhaps. Talk to the course director(s).

You didn't really pose a question in your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Actually it won't reduce the workload, I'd imagine. While you wouldn't be able to repeat those courses, because they'd essentially be free credit if you've already covered anything, they also can't just use them towards the MBA, as you'll already have received a degree for completing it - the same 5 credits can't be used towards two different qualifications.

In all likelihood what would happen is you'd be prohibited from re-doing the courses you'd already done, and have to select extra courses to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Do the degree you want to do and don't be worrying about some other degree that you probably won't also do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Raphael wrote: »
    Actually it won't reduce the workload, I'd imagine. While you wouldn't be able to repeat those courses, because they'd essentially be free credit if you've already covered anything, they also can't just use them towards the MBA, as you'll already have received a degree for completing it - the same 5 credits can't be used towards two different qualifications.

In all likelihood what would happen is you'd be prohibited from re-doing the courses you'd already done, and have to select extra courses to replace them.

That's very interesting, thanks.
    Polar Ice wrote: »
    You didn't really pose a question in your post.

Oops, my question was about reducing workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Raphael wrote: »

With some courses it can. I have completed an MEM and you can get prior learning accreditation from overlapping modules meaning that essentially you get to bypass most of year 1 of the MBA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

OP just a general comment. As you don't give much information in your post I've made several points that you may have already considered.

Unless the first Masters is something very specific that will greatly improve your employment and earnings potential then you're better off going solely for the MBA, if your goal is to move into business leadership.

The cost of an MSc + MBA (in Smurfit) will be over 40K (30K MBA + 10-18K for most other Smurfit MSc's).
    On top of that if you intend on studying full time for both of these then that's a minimum of two further years with no real earnings.

So if or when the time comes you have funding of 40K+ and intend on studying full time, I'd be looking to do the best possible MBA you can get with that amount of funding. Rankings and reputation can be important when it comes to these, particularly if you want to reach executive level leadership in truly global companies (e.g. top 4-5 of big pharma).

It's somewhat different if you study part-time (as I did) but even then, it's very difficult to balance the two if you're already in a management role with the workload expectation that comes with it and especially difficult if you're required to travel for your role.

Finally, remember that a big selling point to students for the full time MBA (and note the full time Smurfit course is only one year) is the networking opportunities and immersing yourself in the content to really develop your character and challenge your ways of approaching problems, conflict resolution, strategic decision making etc. You won't get most of that if you don't need to show up for half the classes.

Summary: Focus on getting into a position to be one of the roughly 1/4 succesful candidates for the full time Smurfit MBA rather than ways to reduce workload. Also consider the opportunity cost of not working while pursuing these masters.

Advertisement