Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday morning breakfast

Options
  • 13-06-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

We are heading to the Clifden area for a few days leaving Kildare early on Sunday morning.

Plan to be in Galway City about 9 O'Clock and I'd like to stop enroute somewhere nice for breakfast either on the way through Galway or out to Oughterard.

Looking for somewhere we can get a freshly cooked quality meal with a nice pot of coffee that's not too difficult to find or too much of a detour.
    The problem is that most places seem not to open for breakfast early on a Sunday.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Ursula Cisa

It depends on what road are you taking. Your can take the coast road or the main road. I use to leave in Clifden so I'm very familiar with the hole trip. So there isn't a nice place ether in Ogtherard or Maicullin. So I would advise to have your breakfast in Galway if you are going trough the main road. You could go the the Cafe in the Museum but not sure what time is open. I would I have advise Kai cafe if you where going late but on sundays they make brunch at 12. Not before that time. Other plase could be the G hotel new cafe place is right in the back but again not sure what time they open. Finally in Moicullin there is a coffee place I think is call Gables with is nice too but nothing special. Finally if you go thougr the coast road I higly sugest the art crafts village in Spedle, THere is a coffee place at the back rely nice own by a Newzeland guy. Really good. Not sure about the name. In Clifden go to Guys and have the chiken goujons. they are delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Finally if you go thougr the coast road I higly sugest the art crafts village in Spedle, THere is a coffee place at the back rely nice own by a Newzeland guy. Really good. Not sure about the name.

That's Builín Blasta - http://www.ceardlann.com/builin-blasta-menu/13-builin-blasta-menu/detail/132-menu-2#!cafe/c173r

The one behind the G-hotel is The G Counter. According to the Wellpark page for them, hours are Mon – Sat: 8:00 am – 6:30 pm only.

OP .. humm, .. nice and 9am on Sunday, and easy to find ...you're not asking for much! :) Your best bet for finding something open will be a hotel.

Maybe the Clayton: when the motorway / N6 ends go right at the roundabout, turn left at the next traffic lights and it's the hotel-looking building up the road on the right. (I have no idea what their breakfasts are like .. but I would expect they'll at least be open to do breakfast for guests.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Thanks for the replies folks.

Yes, finding somewhere is difficult. I don't want to drive all the way into the city and would like something better than Mother Hubbards!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I think feeneys in salthill might just be open it a guess. I'll try check and get back to you.

A quick Google tells me it's open Monday to Sunday 09.00 to 17.00 and I can personally recommend the breakfast :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

The Huntsman is open from 9.30am for breakfast on Sundays according to their website. It's just on the edge of town so not out of the way. Haven't had breakfast there myself, but their lunches and dinners are good.

• Advertisement

The Huntsman is open from 9.30am for breakfast on Sundays according to their website. It's just on the edge of town so not out of the way. Haven't had breakfast there myself, but their lunches and dinners are good.

That looks great, not a great detour and the menu looks good.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Gourmet tart in salthil is open Sunday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Rosahane wrote: »
    That looks great, not a great detour and the menu looks good.

Thanks for that.

I would go here aswell, handy and not hard to find. Come off the motorway via the slip road or first exit off the roundabout and you'll see The Galway Clinic on your left, next roundabout and 3 exit and straight in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shadowshadow

The Huntsman for sure. Great breakfast. Nice atmosphere too. Enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

On a Sunday morning a hotel is the best place for a good early breakfast.

Enjoy the trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like either the Kitchen in the museum or Kelly's for weekend breakfast.
    Kelly's chorizo and red pepper hash is very nice.

Thanks folks. Looks like it's going to he the Huntsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

someone else mentioned the Kitchen in the museum , I would agree that they do a lovely breakfast for €9.50 including tea or coffee , they get their sausages etc from Collerans butchers . i like a place that dont charge you extra for tea or coffee like McCambridges / Ard Bia/ Griffins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

JJpedro wrote: »
    i like a place that dont charge you extra for tea or coffee like McCambridges / Ard Bia/ Griffins.

These places do, or they don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Rosahane wrote: »
    Thanks folks. Looks like it's going to he the Huntsman.

The Trappers open early and do a good breakfast aswell if you havent eaten yet . Its in the tuam rd

I'm happy to say that The Huntsman is worthy of all the recommendations. Had a lovely, perfectly cooked breakfast with quality ingredients, lots of coffee, proper toast (not a sliced pan in sight), and homemade marmalade.
    Brilliant value as well - as the menu doesn't say that the breakfasts include coffee, toast etc..

Advertisement