Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Bentley A.K.A the next golden balls has retired at 29.

• 13-06-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭

Never came near to fulfilling his potential. Well he's gone now, do you care? Is it good riddance, he always seemed like a guy who didn't particularly like the game. Discuss.

No denying the kid had talent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

He scored a shed load of points for me one year in fantasy football, while playing for Blackburn. Always liked him as a result....... well not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

disappeared up his own arse and was never seen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Worst future superstar ever. Also seemed to be a bit of a knob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

mike65 wrote: »
    Worst future superstar ever. Also seemed to be a bit of a knob

Francis Jeffers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Meh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Why is this only making news now? He was on off the ball about 3 weeks ago talking about why he packed it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Heard him on newstalk a while ago and on ssn today. He doesn't come across too well IMO.
    He got a ridiculous 6 year contract at Spurs and got every penny of it. He's presumably set up for life so he has no reason to keep playing when he has no love for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

What a waste. He had those two magnificent seasons at Blackburn and the world looked to be at his feet. After getting that 6 year contract at £50k a week when he moved to Spurs, he probably thought he was set for life.

Just watching that video now. Had forgotton about Rio's cock up. What the fcuk was Ferdinand doing heading the ball backwards when the goalie was very likely to come off his line in that situation. Defending at its very worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Yeah, seemed like he massively underdelivered on his potential alright, for any number of reasons - a lack of love for the game being a key.

Another way of looking at it is that, for two years, he was one of only two flair players in a blackburn team set up and well-organised to let him shine, then promptly played out of his skin. Given his career before and after, it seems fair too look on his Blackburn run as a purple patch for a player who just wasn't that special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Had an abundant of talent but wasted it! I really thought he had the potential to be the next Beckham, only problem was he was more concerned about the money and fame of it while in fairness to Beckham he was a worker and put in a lot of effort off the pitch. Read an article about Bentley recently where when he was with England he would disobey managers orders, order fast food in, and mock the manager to his face. Any player who acts like this when given a brilliant opportunity to represent their country doesn't deserve to do well. Shame he wasted his chance, but only himself to blame!

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Had an abundant of talent but wasted it! I really thought he had the potential to be the next Beckham, only problem was he was more concerned about the money and fame of it while in fairness to Beckham he was a worker and put in a lot of effort off the pitch. Read an article about Bentley recently where when he was with England he would disobey managers orders, order fast food in, and mock the manager to his face. Any player who acts like this when given a brilliant opportunity to represent their country doesn't deserve to do well. Shame he wasted his chance, but only himself to blame!

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

buyer95 wrote: »
    Link?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2634265/Jimmy-Bullard-got-better-coaching-non-League-Fabio-Postman-Pat-Capello-England.html

Article by Jimmy Bullard, has a lot about his "partner in crime" Mr Bentley, may be the DailyMail but I have seen it on other websites but this is the main article written by Bullard. He thinks it's funny by the sounds of it but comes across like two kids wasted their chance to represent their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

15.6m from the Spurs contract....

Wow........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

An immature messer by all accounts, good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2634265/Jimmy-Bullard-got-better-coaching-non-League-Fabio-Postman-Pat-Capello-England.html

Article by Jimmy Bullard, has a lot about his "partner in crime" Mr Bentley, may be the DailyMail but I have seen it on other websites but this is the main article written by Bullard. He thinks it's funny by the sounds of it but comes across like two kids wasted their chance to represent their country.

I feel sick reading that.

Disgraceful.

Attitudes like that are why England are light years behind their rivals in almost every aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

"Bents."

**** off Bullard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He should have stayed at Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Couldn't help but get an awful bang of Soccer AM from reading that Jimmy Bullard article.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Francis Jeffers

Liam miller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

That article makes me dislike Bullard. A lot.

I have a soft spot for Bentley being a Blackburn fan. Played unbelievably well for us.

Was naive to sign for Tottenham when Aaron Lennon was already in his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He had two good seasons, got his move to Spurs and then I'd imagine he thought he'd made it (massive fee usually = very large contract) and wasn't arsed pushing on. His career before and since would suggest that those two seasons were an outlier, but he'll be one of those players cited as someone who didn't live up to their potential in years to come.

As for Bullard, this reputation he has for being a funnyman and a decent guy drives me mad. It's very easy to see exactly what he was sacked for at Hull with a quick Google.

What a waste. He had those two magnificent seasons at Blackburn and the world looked to be at his feet. After getting that 6 year contract at £50k a week when he moved to Spurs, he probably thought he was set for life.

He should never have to work again if he so chooses. As such, I'd say he IS set for life.

Chopra comes across as a real swell guy from that article too. When the gangster showed up for him he tried to get one of his team mates in trouble instead of him. Despicable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,532 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sky really missed a trick, could have given both of them their own tv show - Bantz with Bents & Bully

Someone could have then nuked the studio during the first taping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'll always remember him for this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2331555/Bentley-hat-trick-stuns-United.html

He was a top player for Blackburn for those two seasons (06-07, 07-08) and we got a 15 million fee for him so no Rovers supporter could complain. Just a pity it ended so badly.

Here's a random quiz question. He was the first English player to score at the redeveloped Wembley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Jesus,I always assumed Bullard was a wanker (most people described as being a 'character' invariably are) but the arrogance and plain stupidity displayed in that article is astounding.Any semi-decent human being would be ashamed of the antics he seems very proud to boast about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jimmy Bullard not being a nice bloke comes as no surprise whatsoever.

To be fair to Bentley, if he really isn't that into football, he has done himself wonders.

The amount of money the chap has earned for doing very little, and he owes us pretty much nothing since it's just another job to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

"I never felt particularly loved and he just seemed harsh and stand-offish."

Roaring "Postman Pat" at Capello, one of the most successful coaches in history will do that to you.

Bentley doesn't come across wonderfully either in that article

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Bullard sounds like the kind of bloke who thinks he's the life and soul of every party, when in reality everyone thinks he's a complete berk. Even he admits himself that no-one for the most part found his postman pat jibes funny.

People forget that although he was out of favour for most of his spell at Totenham, Harry started picking him in the 2nd half of the season that they qualified for the champions league, he played a big part in that, starting the final 15 games. But after he tipped the bucket of water over Harry's head, Redknapp never forgave him and he never played for him again

That being said he is no angel. He is a self confessed gambling addict, he has smashed a sports car into an inanimate object while drunk.Been snapped loads falling out of pubs and clubs at all hours, been charged for drink driving, been banned from driving for speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I thought Bullard's article was brilliant, absolutely hilarious.
    I’d walk past Capello and say ‘Postman Pat’ out of the corner of my mouth, but Bentley took it to another level when he would walk straight up to the boss and scream ‘Postman Pat!’ in his face before adding ‘And his black and white cat!’ for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

People forget that although he was out of favour for most of his spell at Totenham, Harry started picking him in the 2nd half of the season that they qualified for the champions league, he played a big part in that, starting the final 15 games. But after he tipped the bucket of water over Harry's head, Redknapp never forgave him and he never played for him again

Surprised Harry held a grudge over that incident tbh, maybe it was the straw that broke the camels back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wasted talen for sure, but he's a very rich young man, so I'm guessing he will enjoy his life for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

NIMAN wrote: »
    Wasted talen for sure, but he's a very rich young man, so I'm guessing he will enjoy his life for a while.
    I bet he'll be broke within 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I always remember a feature on Bentley on Football Focus and they even highlighted that he had the same initials as Beckham so was a worthy successor :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

had to laugh at him on newstalk recently talking rubbish about how life is too short for people to be doing something they dont love anymore.

Idealistic views from a man who has that luxury and can sit on his fortune made from the game he no longer loves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

http://balls.ie/gaa/58503-david-bentley-will-be-doing-some-gaa-training-this-week/

Came across this today. Didn't DJ Carey and Henry Sheflin wipe the floor with the Sunderland squad in fitness tests when Keane was manager?

After getting that 6 year contract at £50k a week when he moved to Spurs, he probably thought he was set for life.

Isn't he?

I think good luck to him. Hardly his fault the wages in the game are obscene and they allow players to cash in. It was hardly some trick on his part, he fulfilled his contract, if this annoyed Spurs they should think of a more performance based structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

adaminho wrote: »
    http://balls.ie/gaa/58503-david-bentley-will-be-doing-some-gaa-training-this-week/

Came across this today. Didn't DJ Carey and Henry Sheflin wipe the floor with the Sunderland squad in fitness tests when Keane was manager?

Scored 3 points ( 2 from free's ) in a challenge match for Crossmaglen last night . Can see him being a dead ball expert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

adaminho wrote: »

No, they certainly didn't.

tastyt wrote: »
    No, they certainly didn't.

You sure, I'm pretty sure I read this at the time?

TheNap wrote: »
    Scored 3 points ( 2 from free's ) in a challenge match for Crossmaglen last night . Can see him being a dead ball expert

That's not a bad start tbf!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TheNap wrote: »

Bentley.png

It's on TV3 in The Toughest Trade in a couple of weeks.It's a show about GAA players swapping places with other codes.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/leftfield/exspurs-star-david-bentley-fires-three-points-on-crossmaglen-rangers-debut-31004777.html

I wonder how Jackie Tyrell gets on at baseball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

You sure, I'm pretty sure I read this at the time?

I think dj Carey was about 37/38 and retired when Keane was at Sunderland so if a retired amateur beat elite professional athletes on a fitness test it would be comical

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

As far as I can remember, DJ did something at Newcastle, where they said he was as fit as any Newcastle player at the time (turn of the millenium). Kilkenny had some link with Arsenal for a while also.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

zerks wrote: »
    Bentley.png

It's on TV3 in The Toughest Trade in a couple of weeks.It's a show about GAA players swapping places with other codes.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/leftfield/exspurs-star-david-bentley-fires-three-points-on-crossmaglen-rangers-debut-31004777.html

I wonder how Jackie Tyrell gets on at baseball.

What's Hugh Grant doing there :pac:

Advertisement