Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

New thread,no new players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

zerks wrote: »
    New thread,no new players.
    New sponsors though - woodward always comes through on that score!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The Official Manchester United Boards.ie Superthread partner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I am also in this thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Surely by the time this thread reaches its end,at least one player will be signed and about 20 new sponsorship deals will be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I'm basing my opinion on the information of Ducker, Ogden, Ladyman, Jackson, Andy Mitten, UWS, Red Issue and Delaney.

I know people in here are INCREDIBLY cynical of every single journalist and fanzine, but I personally believe the information I see from certain people (listed above) - I don't believe everyone, and in some cases I would question if those listed are being led by the nose by woodward on certain stories as he has been known to lie to the press in his briefings.

According to all/some of the above United were very very close to signing Kroos and Carvalho - but we pulled out of both deals (and didnt follow up last summers interest in Fabregas) following the appointment and decisions of LVG. THe summer plans we had have been ripped up - and given people pointed out part of the problem last summer was a CEO and Manager starting transfer work from scratch in the summer when everyone else was weeks or months into their work, I'm very worried about this summer because we have created the exact same situation again.

This is exactly what has me worried.

We don't have the excuse that there's noone of any quality available.
    We don't have the excuse that there's no value in the market.

But yet we're still not seen to be making any concrete moves since LvG has been appointed. I'd be very disappointed if our midfield business turned out to be Strootman and another potentially good Dutch midfielder that caught LvG's eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bullvine wrote: »
    Maybe the deals are done, waiting till after WC to announce them.
    Maybe some are part of the Dutch Squad and LVG doesn't want any attention!

Why is it better not to announce the deals? They are done, who benefits from not announcing them?

And the second post is illogical. If a player doesn't want attention then the best time to announce it is during the world cup where it will be quickly overshadowed by the next item of news.

Maybe speculation would affect a player if the deal was only at negotiation, but if its a done deal than that is not a factor. It makes zero sense to delay any announcement.

According to Mundo Deportivo,Fabergas' missus had a part to play in him moving to Chelsea.She wanted to stay in London.Even if we wanted him he wouldn't have joined us.

Dutch media are also pushing the Schweinsteiger to United story.

Surely by the time this thread reaches its end,at least one player will be signed and about 20 new sponsorship deals will be done.

Bookmarking this post as a reminder of a better time, a time when United fans still had a sliver of optimism flowing in their veins. Come August 31st we shall reflect on these times with a wistful smile, and a soft, choked sigh. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

OHHHHH LOIUS VAN GAAL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

According to Mundo Deportivo,Fabergas' missus had a part to play in him moving to Chelsea.She wanted to stay in London.Even if we wanted him he wouldn't have joined us.

Reckon De Telegraf is going to be the go to publication for speculation that is mostly on the money this summer, when it comes to United/LVG. They have lead the way since the beginning on LVG and United.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Bookmarking this post as a reminder of a better time, a time when United fans still had a sliver of optimism flowing in their veins. Come August 31st we shall reflect on these times with a wistful smile, and a soft, choked sigh. ;)

Onwards and upwards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Who are we signing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Do United have any scouts of worth in South America? Is there a reason why we're slow to recruit from there barring previous experiences with the likes of Kleberson

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Having gone through the Germans and the Dutch, I guess we're on to the Belgians now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I don't think there'll be many new signings anyway. We're not in Europe so we don't need as big as squad as last season.

The current squad are better than what Liverpool have so perhaps without the distraction of the CL and with a decent coach we can survive another unproductive transfer window. I'm really not hopeful of signing anyone this summer.

Zico wrote: »
    I don't think there'll be many new signings anyway. We're not in Europe so we don't need as big as squad as last season.

The current squad are better than what Liverpool have so perhaps without the distraction of the CL and with a decent coach we can survive another unproductive transfer window. I'm really not hopeful of signing anyone this summer.

:eek:

Quick, someone throw a rug or something over this post before they see it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Christ. A liver bird-shaped bat signal has just gone up in the sky.

Liverpool's squad is stronger than ours now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Iirc, last summer the talk was that the reason Fab wanted to leave Barca was because of his woman (and kid?) who lived in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just 1 month till end of world cup lads then things be A Ok.

Honestly its going be nuts if we sign big name and 10 times worse if dont.

WGS7vhh.gif

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I expect no new signings in the lifetime of this new thread. That's not even trying to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Do United have any scouts of worth in South America? Is there a reason why we're slow to recruit from there barring previous experiences with the likes of Kleberson

The main reason would be the work permit. We'd have to loan them out to a club in Belgium for 3 years in order to gain a work permit. Also, the weather would have a major factor for South American players. The majority end up in Portugal, make a name for themselves and then moved on.

DDG speaking about Van Gaal: "He's going to help us a lot because he's going to bring a different style of play," he added.

Do I detect a little dig at Moyes?

Macca07 wrote: »
    The main reason would be the work permit. We'd have to loan them out to a club in Belgium for 3 years in order to gain a work permit. Also, the weather would have a major factor for South American players. The majority end up in Portugal, make a name for themselves and then moved on.

City and Chelsea have bought well when it's come to South American players.

Luiz hilariously going for 50 million, Ramirez wanted by Real despite his poor form last season, Oscar was relatively inexpensive considering how highly rated he was. Paulinho and Fernandinho were pretty good signings too.

Just surprised we don't delve into that market these days. Focusing on English talent is grand if they're actually any good. Smalling, Jones, Cleverly don't really cut it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think as things stand right now that Liverpool do have a stronger first team squad than what Man U have.

But I also reckon that last season's points difference reflects the difference a good manager can make than the actual gulf in quality between the squads. If Ferguson had managed Man U last season I still think that a top four finish would not have been gotten, but I am pretty confident that Man U would have been scrapping for a CL spot until the latter stages of the season.

Now if Man U were going into this season with Moyes still in charge then I would be less wary of the current squad you guys have, but LVG is a different breed to Moyes and if he gets the players onboard quickly, well I think that even the current Man U squad without any new additions could prove to be a sterner test for more teams than they did last season.

The one thing that would worry me if I were a Man U supporter (and if I am honest it is what as a Liverpool supporter I would not be displeased to see happen) would be if LVG gets (or even imagines that he is getting) interference from Ferguson. I think he is a quality manager, but he is also quite a volatile man when rubbed the wrong way.

Will be very surprised though if Man U are not back in the chase for a CL slot come next May.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I expect no new signings in the lifetime of this new thread. That's not even trying to be funny.

I think you might be right. Have a very bad feeling about this summer.

I just get the feeling if we were really close to signing top players, there might be strong rumours of players leaving OT. But there aren't.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw two very average additions: Ron Vlaar and Jordi Clasie. Followed by a January bid for Strootman.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Kess73 wrote: »
    The one thing that would worry me if I were a Man U supporter (and if I am honest it is what as a Liverpool supporter I would not be displeased to see happen) would be if LVG gets (or even imagines that he is getting) interference from Ferguson.

I can't see that happening. LVG has a highly respected international pedigree and then he is known as a man you don't mess with. As a former Alpha dog himself, I think think SAF totally understands that and would totally respect LVG.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think as things stand right now that Liverpool do have a stronger first team squad than what Man U have.

But I also reckon that last season's points difference reflects the difference a good manager can make than the actual gulf in quality between the squads. If Ferguson had managed Man U last season I still think that a top four finish would not have been gotten, but I am pretty confident that Man U would have been scrapping for a CL spot until the latter stages of the season.

Now if Man U were going into this season with Moyes still in charge then I would be less wary of the current squad you guys have, but LVG is a different breed to Moyes and if he gets the players onboard quickly, well I think that even the current Man U squad without any new additions could prove to be a sterner test for more teams than they did last season.

The one thing that would worry me if I were a Man U supporter (and if I am honest it is what as a Liverpool supporter I would not be displeased to see happen) would be if LVG gets (or even imagines that he is getting) interference from Ferguson. I think he is a quality manager, but he is also quite a volatile man when rubbed the wrong way.

Will be very surprised though if Man U are not back in the chase for a CL slot come next May.

I think you undervalue the Fergie effect. Think we'd have been challenging but probably not won the league.

I don't really buy into the whole Fergie looking over his shoulder crap, Fergie had Bobby Charlton in the crowd, and I bet where ever you go you'll have some club legend still in the stands with sway. Moyes was a nice fella but he didn't have the tactical nous or the respect of the players. He inherited a title winning team, and they dropped like 6 places. Fergie would have had them much higher up the table.

Fergie was fairly volatile too in fairness so LVG might be just what we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

City and Chelsea have bought well when it's come to South American players.

Luiz hilariously going for 50 million, Ramirez wanted by Real despite his poor form last season, Oscar was relatively inexpensive considering how highly rated he was. Paulinho and Fernandinho were pretty good signings too.

Just surprised we don't delve into that market these days. Focusing on English talent is grand if they're actually any good. Smalling, Jones, Cleverly don't really cut it...

but we do go into that market....

we signed veron
    Anderson
    kleberson
    Fabio
    Rafael
    varela
    forlan
    tevez
    Valencia
    heinze

prob someone else I cannot think of and from that list how many have been a true success??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Can't see any new signings until after the world cup now to be fair. Seems like every player has been linked to us at one stage or another in the papers. I don't expect huge signings this summer maybe one top class player and a few unknown talents. Would like to see more of the youths pushed up in to the first team though, look how will Januzaj did given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

I think a few of us could be pleasantly surprised with Fellaini under LVG. He likes a physical presence in midfield and with the right coaching I think Fellaini could do a good job there.

• Advertisement

I think you undervalue the Fergie effect. Think we'd have been challenging but probably not won the league.

I don't really buy into the whole Fergie looking over his shoulder crap, Fergie had Bobby Charlton in the crowd, and I bet where ever you go you'll have some club legend still in the stands with sway. Moyes was a nice fella but he didn't have the tactical nous or the respect of the players. He inherited a title winning team, and they dropped like 6 places. Fergie would have had them much higher up the table.

Fergie was fairly volatile too in fairness so LVG might be just what we need.

LVG is extremely volatile!!

Quandary wrote: »
    I think a few of us could be pleasantly surprised with Fellaini under LVG. He likes a physical presence in midfield and with the right coaching I think Fellaini could do a good job there.

I'm not so sure. Despite his natural position, he's had his best success at Everton when playing further forward, and there's no room for him there in our side. That and his immobility would make me think he won't do a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. Despite his natural position, he's had his best success at Everton when playing further forward, and there's no room for him there in our side. That and his immobility would make me think he won't do a great job.

Let's see how he does the job for Belgium over the next few weeks. Hopefully he shows us some positive signs :)

Quandary wrote: »
    Let's see how he does the job for Belgium over the next few weeks. Hopefully he shows us some positive signs :)

I'm not giving up on him by any means, it's too soon to be writing him off but I just don't see LvG taking to him as a first choice option right now.

fellaini will never be good enough for united.

look at this brilliant play from adnan onto the head of a donkey..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5ELXboAwho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

FutureGuy wrote: »

Then we will post non stop till we get one more new thread.

Mission10days. 1000postsperday
    DDG speaking about Van Gaal: "He's going to help us a lot because he's going to bring a different style of play," he added.

Do I detect a little dig at Moyes?

Not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

bangkok wrote: »
    prob someone else I cannot think of

Rodrigo Possebon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

bangkok wrote: »
    fellaini will never be good enough for united.

look at this brilliant play from adnan onto the head of a donkey..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5ELXboAwho

Yeah, like how on earth did he not score that........?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Has this been posted before?

LOL. Do you speak Dutch? Because I have feeling none of that is what was being said. :cool:

that was an interview done about 4 years ago, van gaal even looks a lot younger in it, the subtitles are fake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

@DuckerTheTimes: #MUFC chasing Schweinsteiger. LvG also wants Strootman providing he recovers OK from knee injury http://t.co/CvxWNH8lVF

One of the most solid out there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

irishfeen wrote: »
    @DuckerTheTimes: #MUFC chasing Schweinsteiger. LvG also wants Strootman providing he recovers OK from knee injury http://t.co/CvxWNH8lVF

One of the most solid out their...

Full article http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4117376.ece

irishfeen wrote: »

One of the most solid out there..

I'm classing myself as ITK now because I posted about Strootman ages ago. That's how this thing works, isn't it?

MagicIRL, Manchester United F.C. In the Know of the Year 2014 Transfer Gossip In the Mix 2k14+2k15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Why would Bayern entertain letting him go. They obviously know something we don't.

I'm always worried when we sign a world class player from another big club. I always get the feeling that maybe they knew something we don't and are having a right laugh.

I still can't fathom Chelsea selling Mata. I fully appreciate that managers have certain ideas and require certain players with specific traits. But this is a guy who was easily the best in the league two years running, and has the creative spark that was so evidently missing in the Chelsea squad last season when it came into the final third.

I'm just waiting to see something go horribly wrong, like Mata has a closet cocaine addiction or something.

I'd be extremely happy with Schweinsteiger, big fan of his. Shoulda broke the bank for him after that World cup where was easily for me player of the tournament. Ozil was getting all the praise and attention, we should have got in there and tested Bayerns metal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement