Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was hoping Val would have a some what good WC, so maybe another club might want to buy him. Guess that wont be happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Val is done imo. Offers nothing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

The fact that we were league champions is a red herring.

Everton clearly had a head start on us finishing 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Val is done imo. Offers nothing at all

Rte sounded surprised he was poor. Must have not seen him since 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This DoF talk is even more stupid considering that LVG is pretty much one of them and Woodward would have to sign off and work on any deals too. How do people think it goes when Woodward talks to a player? "Oh don't mind me, you probably won't join us, we're not very good, I'll give you half of what Chelsea will, we'll probably only offer your club less than they'll accept for you anyway so it doesn't matter."

The only thing holding up deals I'd the WC. Shaw is signed as far as I'm concerned, there'll be a couple of Dutch young lads for midfield and a marquee winger I'd say. Hopefully Sanchez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Chatter on Twitter that De Gea has done his hip in and is out for the rest of the WC :(

What a pity, hopefully nothing too serious.

Casillas can keep the embarrassment going so, if Reina is not trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Reports elsewhere saying 10 days out for De Gea. See people quote DTGuardian on twitter. Saying deal for Schweinsteiger almost done. Dunno how old the tweet is because I'm on a windows phone and its **** so if someone else would research that and get back to me that'd be just swell.

Oh nvrmind . Its that fake account theyre referencing.

I know we need midfield players and player in the defense, but the wingers at United are rather woeful - exclude Januzaj.
    Young - basically won the lottery when he joined United. Sell
    Valencia - was good but now more famous for hitting defenders with the ball.
    Nani - good if he was not an injury waiting to happen everytime he plays.

Sell all three, go after Alexis Sanchez and Arjen Robben, and watch United rain down goals against the opposition.
    Robben at 30 looks like he has a lot of years left on the clock still, world class.

I think Fergie won the league in 2013, because the wingers did far more than they did the last season.
    Wingers that got worse combined with a midfield that got worse was our downfall combined with injuries to RVP and Rooney.

Some say the wingers area is not the most important area we need to fix but I think it is as bad as our midfield and parts of our defense.

Watching the Ecuador game, I don't think anyone was thinking how lucky we are to have Valencia in our team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

RobertKK wrote: »
    I know we need midfield players and player in the defense, but the wingers at United are rather woeful - exclude Januzaj.

Sell all three, go after Alexis Sanchez and Arjen Robben, and watch United rain down goals against the opposition.
    Robben at 30 looks like he has a lot of years left on the clock still, world class.

I think Fergie won the league in 2013, because the wingers did far more than they did the last season.
    Wingers that got worse combined with a midfield that got worse was our downfall combined with injuries to RVP and Rooney.

Some say the wingers area is not the most important area we need to fix but I think it is as bad as our midfield and parts of our defense.

Watching the Ecuador game, I don't think anyone was thinking how lucky we are to have Valencia in our team.

robben looked 40 when he was 24:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

Do you honestly think we could sign Robben. Not a hope he would leave Bayern when he is one of their star names and is guaranteed CL football every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Zico wrote: »
    Jesus, that's just an amazingly vague collection of words.

Ill make it simple for the crayola brigade.

Do you really think a senior business leader at a company worth over a billion dollars is incapable of hiring staff?

Personally id say a guy who is responsible for signing hundreds of millions worth of commercial deals can agree a 30m transfer and a few mill in wages.

Back to my original point. Having the ability to source key staff is core skill for business leaders. If Woodward cant do that he wouldnt be where he is today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Chatter on Twitter that De Gea has done his hip in and is out for the rest of the WC :(

All going well, Spain won't make it out of the group and De Gea will be well rested for the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Silly Pogba.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Silly Pogba.

Silly Pogba? He did well not to get up and floor Palacios.

Disgusting out of Palacios if anything, referee bottled it not giving him a red.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

VW 1 wrote: »

Disgusting out of Palacios if anything, referee bottled it not giving him a red.

Regardless, can't lash out like that. Both should have gone....

billyhead wrote: »
    Do you honestly think we could sign Robben. Not a hope he would leave Bayern when he is one of their star names and is guaranteed CL football every year

Very unlikely, but is a possibility. The only thing we have that is a positive is the manager, and he has plenty of time to sweet talk Arjen and while at it Daley Blind.
    I agree with you, LVG has his work cut out to get Robben, I am sure he would love to have him at United.
    Getting him is another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Robben himself said not a hope of him leaving Bayern just before the World Cup so I would be stunned beyond belief if he did leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Ill make it simple for the crayola brigade.

Do you really think a senior business leader at a company worth over a billion dollars is incapable of hiring staff?

Personally id say a guy who is responsible for signing hundreds of millions worth of commercial deals can agree a 30m transfer and a few mill in wages.

Back to my original point. Having the ability to source key staff is core skill for business leaders. If Woodward cant do that he wouldnt be where he is today.

Maybe you should go back to the crayons, because you seem to forget that senior business leaders at multi-billion dollar companies fail all the time. Just because a guy gets where he is today does not automatically mean he is a success or will be a success in his present role.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/twitter/10056570/Twitter-CEO-resigns-as-UK-boss-after-accounting-fiasco.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthof/2014/01/15/yahoo-coo-henrique-de-castro-leaving-report/

If David Moyes couldn't source key staff he wouldn't be where he is today. Right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

VW 1 wrote: »

Cant lash out regardless.

Edit: Karma for Palacios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Headshot wrote: »
    I was hoping Val would have a some what good WC, so maybe another club might want to buy him. Guess that wont be happening

This looks painfully familiar from Valencia.

Valencia.png?resize=495%2C450

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

Lads does anyone know when the New Jersey will be released???? Thought is was normally the first week in June.

Really?

I would have thought being successful is all that matters, regardless of how you get there.

If you have to paint a picture then you're doing it wrong.

Winners don't explain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

collie0708 wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know when the New Jersey will be released???? Thought is was normally the first week in June.

According to work its not out until July.

dahat wrote: »
    Robben himself said not a hope of him leaving Bayern just before the World Cup so I would be stunned beyond belief if he did leave.

Doesn't stop the rumours though, how true or fake they are.
    Manchester United have set their sights on raiding Bayern Munich and will try to lure Arjen Robben and Bastian Schweinsteiger.
    United have a long list of transfer targets as they attempt to get back into the Champions League and will test the German title winners' resolve with big-money offers for their stars.
    It is understood incoming United manager Louis van Gaal prefers Schweinsteiger to German team mate Toni Kroos and despite his denials, Robben could also be lured to Old Trafford after the World Cup.

with the claim Rooney could be forced out of United.
    And any switch would mean Wayne Rooney possibly being a peripheral player at United next season – and having to look elsewhere for regular football.

Rooney would be a very expensive fringe player.

statto25 wrote: »
    According to work its not out until July.

Do you work at black market stalls on Moore Street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He has a very expensive fringe :pac:

Really?

I would have thought being successful is all that matters, regardless of how you get there.

Winners don't explain.

Riiiight.....now that you ve put it like that I totally understand...............you're a goon.

Time for me to check out.

close season really brings out the worst Iin this thread.

Really?

Winners don't explain.

Riiiight.....now that you ve put it like that I totally understand...............you're a goon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭tosspot

Doesn't stop the rumours though, how true or fake they are.

with the claim Rooney could be forced out of United.

Rooney won't be a fringe player at United. I feel people are wrongly buying into the negative media surrounding him making him the scapegoat for United and England over the last few years. Against Italy, granted it wasn't a great game from him but he still came up with a quality assist. He's one of those players that can come up with something even on an off day.
    Personally I thought Baines, Johnson and Gerrard were all worse than him last night, yet he is the medias' scapegoat once again.
    Last year he was easily United's best player playing in a system without any real direction. Really looking forward to next season to see what LVG can do with himself, Kagawa and Nani. Expecting big seasons off all 3 of them with the new man in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Pjanic

Want

Another one to add to the 'envy other clubs midfield player' list, the world cup is a pain :p

I've no problem with this post at all. I'll admit to being a goon if it get's him off a yellow. No harm here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Pjanic

Want

Another one to add to the 'envy other clubs midfield player' list, the world cup is a pain :p

Better player than Strootman but a different kind of player. Would be a nice acquisition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Pjanic

Want

He's very good, just signed a new contract though. Boo-urns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

glued wrote: »
    Better player than Strootman but a different kind of player. Would be a nice acquisition

His manager will walk if the club sell him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I want all the best players at the WC Ted:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I want all the best players at the WC Ted:P
    now dougal these are realistic targets and they are very unrealistic targets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Do you work at black market stalls on Moore Street?

No I actually work for one of the "Good Sellers"! It's not out until the middle of July.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

BBC saying Southampton will announce their new manager today which should speed along the Shaw deal hopefully.

Telegraph saying we have agreed personal details with Vermealan (who she's name Inshould probably learn to spell if he is joining us).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Arsenal's injury prone, back-up centre half is our first signing?

Christ almighty.

Yeah about £10 million for Vermaelen is the rumour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I would have thought we would be in for a bigger name at CB. Vermaelen is decent but not much of an upgrade on what we have. Not bad cover though.

Personally I'd love to see jones/Smalling/Evans really make a name for themselves this year but I don't know if they can do it. Evans has been the best of the three and is quite reliable. The other 2 are hit and miss although they have never had a proper run at CB as Evans had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10902101/Arsenal-captain-Thomas-Vermaelen-agrees-deal-to-join-Manchester-United-this-summer.html
    Arsenal captain Thomas Vermaelen has agreed a deal in principle to join Manchester United this summer.
    United must now agree a fee with Arsenal after the World Cup, but Vermaelen hopes to move to Old Trafford and is preparing to leave the Emirates...

Painful, fecking painful. No better than the CBs we already have imo. Surprised this is being follow up on to be honest. It was flagged up in the fanzines a while back so I would have assumed he was a Moyes target - don't really understand the reasoning behind it.

I dont understand this bit at all, who fecking cares who is agent is?
    He shares the same agent as Robin van Persie and that is understood to have been key to United’s interest.

Could amount to nothing lads. We'll see. That said I'll just trust LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would not be totally shocked if true, but Arsenal will become our feeder club soon if this continues ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Eurghh, Vermaelen. Maybe LVG can turn him into a decent DM as I don't want him anywhere near a CB spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would not be totally shocked if true, but Arsenal will become our feeder club soon if this continues ;)

Could we not got take Ramsey from them instead then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Ugh. He's experienced I guess, I would take issue with him walking into the side. He should have to fight for a spot with Jones and Smalling.

beno619 wrote: »
    Ugh. He's experienced I guess, I would take issue with him walking into the side. He should have to fight for a spot with Jones and Smalling.

Nothing to suggest that won't be the case though. We do need cover at CB. I would have thought we'd go for a bigger name but he is a good player and if CM is properly addressed that will help out our defence massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

KH25 wrote: »
    Not bad cover though.

Is cover what we need? We have enough squad players as far as I am concerned.

If we were picking him up on a free transfer then grand, sign him up. But paying £10 million? I don't know about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

beno619 wrote: »

I’m surprised at this move, I don’t consider him an upgrade on any CB you have at the club. He’s very professional by all accounts, his attitude is good.
    But positionally he’s a liability – that’s the reason why he’s gone from Captain to third choice. He’s prone to being dragged out of position, often. He’s prone to costly individual errors – air swings etc.
    And he can be a little bit bullied by physical forwards, shied away from tackling lukaku for instance in the league game vs everton.
    Nice for him to be getting 100k a week though. But to be honest I don’t see him as being good enough. He’s trading our bench for yours and getting a payrise.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement