Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

De Jong would be an ideal signing to sit in front of the back 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I'll be very disapointed if United sign Nigel De Jong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I'll be very disapointed if United sign Nigel De Jong.

Why? I like him even when he was at City, he has energy and is hard as nails exactly what we need in front of our defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

keano25 wrote: »
    De Jong would be an ideal signing to sit in front of the back 2.

It's a trade off between DeJong and Carvalho, the former being cheaper and a short term addition, the latter being expensive but a long term acquisition.

Neither can do the job of Vidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I really can't see Vidal happening. I've yet to see even one reputable source, newspaper or reporter even mention it being a possibility.

dulux99 wrote: »
    I really can't see Vidal happening. I've yet to see even one reputable source, newspaper or reporter even mention it being a possibility.

Agreed unless Vidal is a 1. a United fan or 2. a Van Gaal fan I cant see us signing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's not going to happen. He will be as good as signed over the next few weeks according to reports. He's the new Kroos, Thiago, Sneijder when he was good etc.
    The same crap plays out every transfer window.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I strongly dislike De Jong as a person but, as a player, he'd be a good fit if we cannot get a better player. He'd do a great job in front of Jones/Smalling/Evans.

It's a stop gap for a few years.

De Jong would be a grand signing. Don't think he'd start every game, but he'd give us that bite that we've lacked in midfield for god knows how long, for the big games. Cheap, proven in the premiership, and already has a good relationship with the manager. Can't see peoples problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

New kit has grown on me a lot, very reminiscent in the old jersey from 2000/2001. Think the collar looks well, can't wait to see a few new signings in it!

extra_football_shirt_7614_1.jpg

14MUTD2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can't see peoples problem with it.

Nearly thirty and really dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Corvo wrote: »
    That's a lot better than I thought actually, prefer tighter fitting jerseys. Will still wait for the black third jersey though.

**** tight fitting jerseys :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ShaneU wrote: »

Not a problem with either, at the right price.

Fact is we don't have a player like him in the squad that we could play and trust, imo. LVG loves to have players for roles, and De Jong (or Carvalho) would cover a role we currently can't.

He was, imo, one of Citys best players when he was there, and I was surprised they sold him. As a squad option he would be a far better DM fit than Fellaini has proven to be. He is not the best in the world at it, but he is more than good enough.

Sounds like the type of lady I like :D

We've had some dirty bastards at United over the years, wouldn't be much new.

• Advertisement

29, in his prime, and a beast in front of an inexperienced back four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

TheDoc wrote: »
    **** tight fitting jerseys :(

*squeezes whole hip with one hand*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Plus I can see Van Gaal wanting to bring in De Jong. Taking over a new big job, huge changes to the squad, especially the back line and the midfield had been one of the weakest parts of the team, get his own man in there who he knows and trusts to give him that bit of protection when the players/new players and manager all settle in to the new system.

It makes huge sense from Van Gaals point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

James Ducker was asked on twitter why he didn't know Herrera was signing. He told Jon who asked that you win some you lose some.
    Jon then said he should be more like Indykaila, which Ducker replied 'do you want me to lose my job, Jon'.

He was asked yesterday when is United signing Vidal? The reply...

@DuckerTheTimes: @fantastlsco word last wk was that they were monitoring developments onVidal but had no move planned at that stage.Don't know more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its very bizarre.

Fair enough if he was fit (worth a chance)but you would think they would of learned from the Hargreaves fiasco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I presume its pending a fitness test, has to be tbh.

I suppose its a punt, with losing both Vidic and Rio in the same summer experience needs to attained somehow. I also assume it means the end of Hummels talk.

The money needs to be spent on midfield and one position at least needs to be filled there. Cannot wait to see what LVG does to this team, the man screams of 'winner'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

All the Vidal stuff

Anyone seen this fella?
    future-guy.jpg

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Anyone seen this fella?
    future-guy.jpg

Who's that supposed to be?

You're God-damned Right. We are not signing Vidal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Muniain extends contract with Bilbao, one player i would love to see bombing up the wing at OT.

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/liga-bbva/iker-muniain-amplia-contrato-con-athletic-club-hasta-2017-3350081

Ander Herrera @anderherrera8 · 16m
    Training finished,tomorrow more / entrenamiento terminado,mañana más

BrngyaNCAAAO2tj.jpg:large

Bit of an odd pic to take, like his profile pic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Looks like "Herrera Simulator 2014" is coming along nicely....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Bit of an odd pic to take, like his profile pic though.

Has to show off his shoes for Adidas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

He needs to get some hair on those legs, the little woman

No hair is for aerodynamics no doubt, makes him faster.

Wait and see Carricks new look next season after Ander takes him under his wing:pac:

• Advertisement

I still find it a bit surreal that we've signed an actual central midfielder, so early in the summer. Feels so strange.

I'm sure a few run ins with Lee Cattermole will get him going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I still find it a bit surreal that we've signed an actual central midfielder, so early in the summer. Feels so strange.

Be even more so when we sign another one or two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

No hair is for aerodynamics no doubt, makes him faster.

Wait and see Carricks new look next season after Ander takes him under his wing:pac:

The should give him some speed holes, makes him run faster too.

5786d1389980223-who-here-has-cla-without-sports-package-speedholes.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Vermaelen was injured or benched most of last season, the season before he made more defensive errors than any other outfield player and beat most keepers as well, I think only 4 keepers made more than him

£11 million for him? Surely we could do better. I'd take Lovren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I strongly dislike De Jong as a person but, as a player, he'd be a good fit if we cannot get a better player. He'd do a great job in front of Jones/Smalling/Evans.

It's a stop gap for a few years.

+1

Our only midfielder that can tackle has a debilatating illness.Fellaini is heading for the door.
    Carrick wouldn't tackle the residents of the Playboy Mansion.How many times have we seen players saunter past him and he merely lets them run at our defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Vermaelen to us has to be a load of ****e just so people can say 'oh look at how far they have fallen, signing injured Arsenal rejects'

The journalists running it have to have some sort of anti-united bias.

Im sure he would be a grand signing to have around, but surely there is better players his age/experience for that money or available.

I don't think there is any substance to it personally. I would have thought Vertonghan would be a more intriuiging signing then Vermaelan, if you are looking for a PL experienced CB with versaility to play on the left.

At this point I'd be annoyed it Hummels doesnt come, that moustache needs to grace OT ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think there's almost certainly substance to the Vermaelen rumours. Too much smoke and some from fairly reliable journalists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Vermaelen to us has to be a load of ****e just so people can say 'oh look at how far they have fallen, signing injured Arsenal rejects'

The journalists running it have to have some sort of anti-united bias.

Cue Vermaelen signing and LvG turning him into the best CB in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Blatter wrote: »
    I think there's almost certainly substance to the Vermaelen rumours. Too much smoke and some from fairly reliable journalists.

I'd agree with that. Van Gaal might see something in him that others might not. We know that he likes center half that are able to play out from the back or pick a pass which Vermaelen can do. Eradicate the mistakes and rein him in a bit and you could have a decent player.

For some reason, always had it in my mind that Wenger couldn't coach/find a center half. Until last season with Mertesacker and Koscielny, they seemed to be always struggling to find a pair that were semi-decent since Toure and Campbell. Cygan, Gallas (whilst excellent at times was prone to the odd brain freeze), Djorou, Senderos, Silvestre never really convinced. I mean he even signed Sol Campbell back at one stage when he left Notts County.

Then of course there's also the theory that maybe Wenger is getting us back for sending Silvestre down there.

Edit: also Hummels is a pipe dream. There's been little to know talk among the journo's that are supposedly ITK, only 'sources' from papers like the Mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Not for €50m, no!

Edit: Would love him for a more realistic price though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Di Maria yes please.I think he was the top assister in La Liga & CL last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Vermaelen would be interesting. He has had a rough couple of years but in the right environment I think has the potential to be useful. LVG will probably focus more on ball playing from the back which is something Rio and Vidic have been atrocious at for years now and something Smalling seems more and more uncomfortable with. Jones is good with the ball, wouldn't mind him being the DM or 3rd CB at all, disappointed after his masterclass against Ronaldo in 2012 that Moyes didn't try him out there a bit more last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I am very excited by Van Gaal, hes a proven winner but hes far from perfect(Who is?), hes made some mad decisions in the past like persisting with Rudd Hesp at Barca and when playing Ireland taking of Overmars who was running a muck and replacing him with Hasselbaink.

Should be some crack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Di Maria won't go from having a major role in winning the Champions League to not playing in it. Bit of a reality check needed for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Di Maria won't leave Real Madrid. To be honest, I don't think Ronaldo would let the club sell him. He was extremely upset when Ozil left. Di Maria was exceptional last season, without him Ronaldo wouldn't have scored as many goals. Ancellotti played a big part too, putting Di Maria in a midfield trio of himself, Alonso and Modric. It worked extremely well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Liam O wrote: »
    something Rio and Vidic have been atrocious at for years now and something Smalling seems more and more uncomfortable with.

Its hard to look good bringing the ball out from defence when you don't have a midfielder worth a **** in front of you to either get in position for a pass or at least make space to run into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Its hard to look good bringing the ball out from defence when you don't have a midfielder worth a **** in front of you to either get in position for a pass or at least make space to run into.

Ah come on, there's excuses for lumping the ball forward, if there's one thing Carrick has always done it's support the CBs. Just in recent seasons Rio and Vidic have decided in pretty much every big game to be long ball merchants which really cost the team the year of Agueroooo. I couldn't believe what I was watching in that game against City and subsequent big games they've played together since.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement