Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Zico wrote: »
    WTF?:eek:

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Vidic deserved his transfer as much as Schmeichel did (and he went on to play for City ffs). Fact is his performances were dipping badly and I'm actually glad he left with his reputation at the club intact.

Just rememember that apart from being a great defender he never embarrassed the club, he never missed a drugs test, shagged someone else's wife, was banned for racism, bit anyone or used a birthday cake as an excuse to leave the club.

To get pissed off with him for moving on at this stage is just selfish.

I have nothing but thanks for him and I wish him all the best.

Didn't Vidic have to cover for Evra which affected the overall defense...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I'm sure he's a lovely lad, but it doesn't matter what he does with it.

__
    I've no argument with you, but...
    Did you not say that you weren't too bothered that Young is getting 30 or 40k more than Nani for example.
    Now, is it not conceivable to you that there may be a finite budget available to United for wages. If Ashley Young is taking up 30 or 40k more than he should be in that budget, that money is then unavailable to use as part of a salary for any prospective signing.

My post said it "could mean the difference". It could. It may not always be for that specific reason, but it pisses people off - they are entitled to be pissed off...

I'd be more pissed off at Rooney getting 30-40k more than he deserves tbh.

Rooney must be up there with the same wages as Yaya Toure. There is no comparison between the quality of the two players.

WTF?:eek:

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Vidic deserved his transfer as much as Schmeichel did (and he went on to play for City ffs). Fact is his performances were dipping badly and I'm actually glad he left with his reputation at the club intact.

Just rememember that apart from being a great defender he never embarrassed the club, he never missed a drugs test, shagged someone else's wife, was banned for racism, bit anyone or used a birthday cake as an excuse to leave the club.

To get pissed off with him for moving on at this stage is just selfish.

I have nothing but thanks for him and I wish him all the best.

I don't think it was the moving that irks people, I think it's how open he was with moving while he was captain at Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

How did Rio handle it poorly? He wanted to stay.

His constant talking on twitter. The way he acted on Twitter about the Moyes situation. That disgraceful to be honest i have no time for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I don't give a **** what he does with his money. He's an arsehole and dosn't deserve a cent. At least when Fletcher plays he's some use.

Ah here......

• Advertisement

Really? I would have thought it far more likely down to performances and diving, rather than wages. Personally I don't give a sh1t what we are paying, i'm annoyed that we are paying him at all!

Obviously i don't think his performances are good enough i would not like him at the club. What pissed me off most is what he is earning did i read it's double or nearly triple what Reus get's a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

adox wrote: »
    Ah here......

Leave it ou?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Holding another teams jersey while you're still the captain was shocking.

Except that never happened. He was pictured signing the contract, but there was never a photo if him holding or wearing a jersey.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    His constant talking on twitter. The way he acted on Twitter about the Moyes situation. That disgraceful to be honest i have no time for him.

And the story about Moyes showing him the video of Jagielkas technique and Rio disrespecting Moyes "...and what the **** has he ever won?"

Rio was one of the best English defenders in years, but I think you should always look to improve and Jagielka actually played better than him so he shouldn't have been such a diva about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And the story about Moyes showing him the video of Jagielkas technique and Rio disrespecting Moyes "...and what the **** has he ever won?"

Rio was one of the best English defenders in years, but I think you should always look to improve and Jagielka actually played better than him so he shouldn't have been such a diva about it.

Rio and Vidic were involved in that incident.

Rio bitched because of the way Moyes approached United.

Vidic LEFT because of the way Moyes approached United.

• Advertisement

Obviously i don't think his performances are good enough i would not like him at the club. What pissed me off most is what he is earning did i read it's double or nearly triple what Reus get's a week.

Quick calculation says it's double.

The PL is where the money is. Essien is on the same amount as Reus, Glen Johnson is on 20k more.

Dortmunds wages are low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

And Moyes is gone - thank f*** for that. No sympathy from me - I'd have give him a fong up the whole out the door instead of 5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

kstand wrote: »
    And Moyes is gone - thank f*** for that. No sympathy from me - I'd have give him a fong up the whole out the door instead of 5m.

To be fair we can't just pin all of last year on Moyes, his players have to take responsibility too!

And most of the transfers we've brought in (or considering) Moyes had already composed a pretty comprehensive report on what players would suit United. These documents were given to VG and ultimately he ticked off what players to go after before he comes in but still Moyes scouting ability is very good.

But no point dwelling on the Moyes thing anymore he's gone and VG is a well accomplished manager, I still think a lot of the players got away with half arseing play by offloading the blame on to the relatively inexperienced (at managing a champion league team) Moyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I don't think it was the moving that irks people, I think it's how open he was with moving while he was captain at Utd.

Schmeichel captained Utd in the '99 CL final, that still doesn't seem to irk anyone.

I think Vidic handled the situation as well as anyone could have expected. He didn't leak negative comments about the club or the new manager or try some daft cover story to justify his decision to move on, he gave the club plenty of time to get a replacement and the negotiations happened discreetly.

What did people expect him to do? Resign the captaincy, giving it to Rooney probably, and then declare he's leaving to the highest bidder because the new coach, on a 6 year contract, doesn't know what he's doing?

I'd have thought that in the modern age his conduct would be admired rather than criticised.

I despair of some fans.:rolleyes:

Rio and Vidic were involved in that incident.

Rio bitched because of the way Moyes approached United.

Vidic LEFT because of the way Moyes approached United.

Who told you Vidic left because of Moyes.

His wife wanted to leave for a nicer City.
    His injuries and lack of pace mean't Italy would suit him at his age.
    A big last pay day for him.
    He had won it all and didn't want to be involved in United building a new team.

I would think they are more likely reasons he left.

Schmeichel captained Utd in the '99 CL final, that still doesn't seem to irk anyone.

I think Vidic handled the situation as well as anyone could have expected. He didn't leak negative comments about the club or the new manager or try some daft cover story to justify his decision to move on, he gave the club plenty of time to get a replacement and the negotiations happened discreetly.

What did people expect him to do? Resign the captaincy, giving it to Rooney probably, and then declare he's leaving to the highest bidder because the new coach, on a 6 year contract, doesn't know what he's doing?

I'd have thought that in the modern age his conduct would be admired rather than criticised.

I despair of some fans.:rolleyes:

I will defend Vidic to the last but you can't say he handled it as well as expected. He took pictures in a Milan jersey while still captain of United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'd be more pissed off at Rooney getting 30-40k more than he deserves tbh.

Rooney must be up there with the same wages as Yaya Toure. There is no comparison between the quality of the two players.

Why in the name of god would you be pissed off at any player for the wage he gets. I'm not pissed at Young-I'm pissed at the club for giving him his wage. It's not his bloody fault he was offered it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

In what way was Vidic leaving United any different to Big Peter? Schmeichel announced he was leaving in November 98 during a period when United looked far from invisible, they had been dismantled twice by Arsenal in the space of a month and lots of questions being asked of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Really never got all the hate for Rooney. Wonderful player. Has done great things for United over the years.

So, an interesting one.

Are we judging Van Gaal on a league winning team (thus virtually writing off last season) with 60+ million pounds of investment or are we judging him on managing a team that finished 7th in the league?

• Advertisement

Who told you Vidic left because of Moyes.

His wife wanted to leave for a nicer City.
    His injuries and lack of pace mean't Italy would suit him at his age.
    A big last pay day for him.
    He had won it all and didn't want to be involved in United building a new team.

I would think they are more likely reasons he left.

Who told you those things?

I have just as much reason to believe the people who have told me otherwise as you do the people who have told you the things you believe.

I have read in a few places that he asked woodward if there was anything that could be done to stop the Inter move after Moyes was fired - so moyes has to have been the reason for leaving. I believe the people who said this (same people told me the Rio/Phil Jag story, the 'Fcuk Off Phil' story and others that people now take as fact, long before those stories hit the media).

Really never got all the hate for Rooney. Wonderful player. Has done great things for United over the years.

His goalscoring rate is unreal for a striker who spent one season as the main striker.

bullvine wrote: »
    In what way was Vidic leaving United any different to Big Peter? Schmeichel announced he was leaving in November 98 during a period when United looked far from invisible, they had been dismantled twice by Arsenal in the space of a month and lots of questions being asked of the team.
    Didn't Schmeichel say he was leaving because he could no longer cope with the rigours of football at the very top level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

So when do we expect the cull of players leaving to begin? After we make all our signings? Surely 5-6 pllayers will be sold considering we dont need as big a squad this year?

Who told you those things?

I have just as much reason to believe the people who have told me otherwise as you do the people who have told you the things you believe.

I have read in a few places that he asked woodward if there was anything that could be done to stop the Inter move after Moyes was fired - so moyes has to have been the reason for leaving. I believe the people who said this (same people told me the Rio/Phil Jag story, the 'Fcuk Off Phil' story and others that people now take as fact, long before those stories hit the media).

I never said anybody told me these things. It was well reported his wife wanted to leave for years. It makes sense while United are rebuilding for him to want a new challenge.

Also i highly doubt a professional footballer would ask months after he signed a contract if he could do something to stop it.

Again you believe what people say who are these people. You always post about these sources but never give anything to show you have any inside information.

For a 'world class' player who sees himself as a driving force... his control is poor, his short/creative passing is poor. His attitude to fitness has been generally questionable over the years, this past summer was the first one I can remember him turning up to United looking in decent shape.

I feel he is half the player he should have been. Partly the fault of United/Fergie, partly his fault too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

So, an interesting one.

Are we judging Van Gaal on a league winning team (thus virtually writing off last season) with 60+ million pounds of investment or are we judging him on managing a team that finished 7th in the league?

I'll judge him on how the team performs. We all wanted investment last year and all we got was Fellaini, which was never going to be sufficient. The team was capable of far more than 7th. That was the problem with Moyes. He couldn't use what he had effectively.

With LVG I'm not expecting a miracle this year. But what I want to see is a definite improvement in tactics and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I don't like any player who publically uses the "Give me more money or I'm off" routine. Obviously most players do this, especially the good ones and for me they can redeem themselves incrementally by playing well and not doing anything to embarrass the club.

In the last four years Rooney has too much in column A and fxck all in column B so as far as I'm concerned he can fxck off somewhere else.

I never said anybody told me these things. It was well reported his wife wanted to leave for years. It makes sense while United are rebuilding for him to want a new challenge.

Also i highly doubt a professional footballer would ask months after he signed a contract if he could do something to stop it.

Again you believe what people say who are these people. You always post about these sources but never give anything to show you have any inside information.

I don't have inside information. I have never said I have sources. I get information from people who do have sources, or speak to journo's like Daniel Taylor or Ducker or Ladyman.

• Advertisement

Didn't Schmeichel say he was leaving because he could no longer cope with the rigours of football at the very top level?

Thats if you believe him though, maybe it was so that he could just go and enjoy a couple of years in the sun before he retired?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

For a 'world class' player who sees himself as a driving force... his control is poor, his short/creative passing is poor. His attitude to fitness has been generally questionable over the years, this past summer was the first one I can remember him turning up to United looking in decent shape.

I feel he is half the player he should have been. Partly the fault of United/Fergie, partly his fault too.

Rooney's control and passing are better than RVP's and he scores just as many goals when he's the main striker. He also does more work than RVP on the pitch. So if Rooney isn't good enough to satisfy you, you must be raging with van Persie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

lots of short memories here lads, slagging off rio and vidic? Without question the best centre half pairing in the premier league era and probably Europe.

vidic is 32 and his best days are behind him, rio is 35 also best days behind him, but both absolute legends of the club. Vidic wanted to try a new league before he retired and even though clubs wanted him in England he never wanted to play for another English club. Fair play to him, moved to inter and they will have a good player on their hands. Rio the same, over 10 years service and one of the finest centre halfs ever to play for utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I will defend Vidic to the last but you can't say he handled it as well as expected. He took pictures in a Milan jersey while still captain of United.

I would love to see these pictures of Vidic wearing a Milan jersey at the time he signed the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Vidic and Ferdinand owe the club nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

That never happened did it?

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    That never happened did it?

Correct!

that never happened

Whether they owe the club anything or not, Rio acted very childishly on twitter regarding Moyes and indeed very unprofessionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

So what do we reckon lads, was this the worst United home shirt of the last two decades or so?

manchester-united-shirt-2009-129.jpg

Are the pre-season games being shown on MUTV?

• Advertisement

Whether they owe the club anything or not, Rio acted very childishly on twitter regarding Moyes and indeed very unprofessionally.

and giggs is a role model :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Are the pre-season games being shown on MUTV?

Yep, it's launching a HD version of the channel in time for the tour too.

Yep, it's launching a HD version of the channel in time for the tour too.

Excellent. Better re-sub then! Any idea what date the first match is?

bangkok wrote: »
    and giggs is a role model :p

I know you are probably only messing but just in case, I cant remember Giggs ever acting unprofessionally towards the club.:)

Excellent. Better re-sub then! Any idea what date the first match is?

L.A Galaxy - 23rd July
    A.S Roma - 26th July
    Inter Milan - 29th July
    Real Madrid - 2nd August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

So what do we reckon lads, was this the worst United home shirt of the last two decades or so?

manchester-united-shirt-2009-129.jpg
    That's one of my favourites! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I personally couldn't give a toss about Twitter or what anybody says on that useless thing.

I personally couldn't give a toss about Twitter or what anybody says on that useless thing.

Bit harsh on Rio.

Hardly relevant is it? The point is the public utterings he made about Moyes when he was on the verge of being sacked. The vehicle he used is irrelevant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

And Mitten is claiming that when Moyes was sacked, Mancini approached the club and asked to replace him :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement