Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Metro has us making a 65m bid for James Rodriguez.

Well Ed, just saying if you still want to make that marquee signing everyone was harping on about............

And yes I know how unrealistic it is, but just imagine him doing that every week for United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Isn't he a #10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Isn't he a #10?

iirc hes supposed to be more of a winger than a no10 but i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I wouldn't say any player is unrealistic for Utd, especially when you consider what Rooney is on and the wages being wasted on Ashley Young. There's money there, which could be freed up for a big name.

There has been an understandable reluctance to get into a bidding war for players with the likes of Chelsea or City in the past, when there was no limit to what they could spend, but I think that's changed now, if FFP is properly enforced. Remember we outbid RM for Bale and who knows what would have happened if the club sectretary was left to do the negotiating instead of the intern from advertising sales.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Isn't he a #10?

Can and has played any of the attacking positions I believe, but get out of here with that ''no room for him nonsense'' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Any word on getting rid of some of the deadwood at United? Ashley Young etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Ando,Young & Nani are here for life :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Our head physio, Swire has retired from Manchester United. He is to be replaced by his assistance, Neil Hough.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Jul/manchester-united-head-physio-rob-swire-retires-and-is-replaced-by-neil-hough.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Any word on getting rid of some of the deadwood at United? Ashley Young etc....

I'd say that won't be decided till lvg is finished up with the dutch squad

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hococop wrote: »
    I'd say that won't be decided till lvg is finished up with the dutch squad

I think that LVG will take a look at as many players as possible on tour and then the clear out will begin and continue at Christmas.

We are not selling Ashley Young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Zico wrote: »
    Remember we outbid RM for Bale and who knows what would have happened if the club sectretary was left to do the negotiating instead of the intern from advertising sales.

I don't actually believe we would have paid €100m for Bale, and I wouldn't have expected the club to do so.

He is a player I would love us to have bought though.

I don't actually believe we would have paid €100m for Bale, and I wouldn't have expected the club to do so.

He is a player I would love us to have bought though.

Why wouldn't we have paid it if we made spurs the offer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

beno619 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't we have paid it if we made spurs the offer ?

I don't believe we made an offer of €100m to Spurs. If you have official evidence that we did then obviously I would be wrong, but I don't believe United would have officially made that bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

you're right re positions vs style (which i acknowledged in my last post tbf)

but the requirement for touch is informed by how they play the position too, try play it differently and you'll need more of this and less of that.

So is it that Rooney is playing the position wrong for the skills he has? He got 19 goals and 15 assists in a season where everybody else went to shít. I'd say he's using his skills in that position just fine and that the problems lie elsewhere.

I don't believe we made an offer of €100m to Spurs. If you have official evidence that we did then obviously I would be wrong, but I don't believe United would have officially made that bid.

No solid proof just the reports you've probably read as well, Moyes hinted that a bid was made as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

For people wondering about the tour to USA, here is the page about it: http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour-2014.aspx

Someone asked about kick-off times. These are:

LA Galaxy: 3:30 a.m.
    AS Roma: 9:10 p.m.
    Inter Milan: 12 p.m.
    Real Madrid: 9:05 p.m.

Prospective final if we finish top of this group: 1 a.m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Please someone take Fell off our hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Headshot wrote: »

He is so bad its not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

There's hope for us all lads. If Fellaini can be a pro footballer, anyone can.

Fellaini v Messi is a bit like Tom and Jerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Headshot wrote: »

I hate him, everything about him.. So unlikable, scraping down the back off messi leg, aw he's just horrid.. I really hope we get rid of him..

Hadn't been that awful today and none of his teammates have been much better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

I'd rather have Young on the left than Kagawa.

Anyone hear that Itv commentator saying when Fellaini heard Origi was called up to the Belgium squad, fellaini said he didnt know who he was ?!!

Bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

He is so bad its not even funny.

Unless you're an Everton fan of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I'd rather have Young on the left than Kagawa.

Kagawa can't play to any decent standard on the left wing.

Unless you're an Everton fan of course.

He'd be a good player for Everton tho !

Montroseee wrote: »
    Kagawa can't play to any decent standard on the left wing.

Neither can Ashley Young...........badum tish

"The big bushy head on him" brian kerr !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

Fellaini is a horrible player and really dirty too it's depressing to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anyone hear anything on Vidal?

I have heard he has made his mind up and we will see devlopment pretty soon

Anyone hear anything on Vidal?

I have heard he has made his mind up and we will see devlopment pretty soon

Where did you hear this? Are United in the running??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Fellaini is being scapegoated exactly as Cleverly was last season. He has not been that bad in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Was this posted before?

Ronaldo said he really misses Manchester United and English football, and some of the best years of his career were at United.
    But goes onto say his his life is in Spain and he is enjoying it there and part of his life is there, but then questions it with 'the future we never know'.
    But he is 'really really happy in the Spanish league at the moment.'

A very unreliable source says United are in (not so) secret talks to re-sign Ronaldo.
    http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/07/05/exclusive-man-united-in-secret-talks-to-re-sign-cristiano-ronaldo-in-sensational-70m-deal-as-real-madrid-target-james-rodriguez-as-replacement/
    They claim RM are prepared to sell Ronaldo back to United for £70 million, to fund the purchases of James Rodriguez and Radamel Falcao.

Rumours are United could turn attention to Carvalho instead of Vidal, Juventus it is claimed wants £45 million plus Nani, meaning Vidal would cost £53m to £55 million, which United are believed to see as too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Fellaini is being scapegoated exactly as Cleverly was last season. He has not been that bad in this game.

Far from the worst on the pitch. Hazard and Alderweireld are well ahead of him for that honour.

• Advertisement

Far from the worst on the pitch. Hazard and Alderweireld are well ahead of him for that honour.

Hazard has been shocking at this WC. Fellani has at least been decent.

Here's what I hate about Fellaini. He's a big tall lad, yet he can't win a bloody header or shield the ball properly.

"When you have a big mop of hair like that, you are more likely to get picked on"- Brian Kerr.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

That's an unfair comparison, Cleverly was absolutely dreadful last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

KH25 wrote: »
    Here's what I hate about Fellaini. He's a big tall lad, yet he can't win a bloody header or shield the ball properly.
    There's hope for us all lads. If Fellaini can be a pro footballer, anyone can.

If you want to criticize him would you not find something that is actually true to criticize him for?

• Advertisement

IrishIrish wrote: »
    If you want to criticize him would you not find something that is actually true to criticize him for?

Have you watched him all season? He's dire. He was grand for Everton up front when his job was to get in the way and make defenders uncomfortable. As a midfielder he's a dreadful player. Far, far below United standard.

As I type this now he'll probably get a goal.... :P

Have you watched him all season? He's dire. He was grand for Everton up front when his job was to get in the way and make defenders uncomfortable. As a midfielder he's a dreadful player. Far, far below United standard.

Yeh he's had a bad season, like 95% of the whole united squad. He's not dire, he's a very good player and been one of the best midfielders in the premier league over the past few years. I don't think he's united standard but that is a different argument. I didn't want him in the first place but I remember plenty of people on this thread wanting Fellaini for years before he actually arrived.

I think he is a nice squad player to have, although obviously expensive (Which wasn't his fault). As was mentioned earlier he is just being made a scapegoat for the past season. If he is still at united next season I'd expect him to be a much more effective player in a more settled and motivated team.

Yeh he's had a bad season, like 95% of the whole united squad. He's not dire, he's a very good player and been one of the best midfielders in the premier league over the past few years. I don't think he's united standard but that is a different argument. I didn't want him in the first place but I remember plenty of people on this thread wanting Fellaini for years before he actually arrived.

I think he is a nice squad player to have, although obviously expensive (Which wasn't his fault). As was mentioned earlier he is just being made a scapegoat for the past season. If he is still at united next season I'd expect him to be a much more effective player in a more settled and motivated team.

We are never going to agree on this. He is an awful midfielder. He was at his best for Everton playing up front. As a midfielder he leaves far too much to be desired.

We are never going to agree on this. He is an awful midfielder. He was at his best for Everton playing up front. As a midfielder he leaves far too much to be desired.

I'm not a big fan of him at all, I just think the criticism of him is ridiculous at times. People looking for reasons non stop to give out about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Wonder if we will make a move for vermaelen now that Belgium are out.
    Still think it's bizarre that we are linked with him.

I'm not a big fan of him at all, I just think the criticism of him is ridiculous at times. People looking for reasons non stop to give out about him.

Trust me, I would absolutely love to see him be a great player but I just don't think he has it in him to play for any top team. I will agree with you that sometimes people can be over the top about him, myself included. But he just isnt that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Just on this point, every now and then there is a time when plan a and b are not getting the job done so why not keep him around (not ideally financially I admit) for situations such as the above, as you said it worked well for Everton and let's face it he is good at occupying the opposition CB when needs be....

It's an option is all I'm saying and I think last season proved he will not be our answer to a midfield enforcer... But in a 'get in the faces of the CB' capacity he has that in him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Just on this point, every now and then there is a time when plan a and b are not getting the job done so why not keep him around (not ideally financially I admit) for situations such as the above, as you said it worked well for Everton and let's face it he is good at occupying the opposition CB when needs be....

It's an option is all I'm saying and I think last season proved he will not be our answer to a midfield enforcer... But in a 'get in the faces of the CB' capacity he has that in him

Did you see any of the match today?

The only person occupied by Fellaini was Brian Kerr and his hair fetish.

He was useless as Plan A, B (..& C if there was one) for Belgium today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Fellaini is worse than Cleverly. There, I've said it. At least Cleverly can pass the ball sideways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Cleverly scapegoated for last season? He didn't need to be scapegoated, he was just rubbish. For once I agree with the RTE panel when they said what does Fellaini do? I thought it was a United thing, but he's now shown on the world stage that it's just him. I thought Belgium were very disappointing today, Hazard was atrocious but since he doesn't play for United, I don't particularly care. I can't see what Fellani brings to United or Belgium and I'll be really surprised if he remains a United player in the long term.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement