Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Zico wrote: »
    Did you see any of the match today?

The only person occupied by Fellaini was Brian Kerr and his hair fetish.

He was useless as Plan A, B (..& C if there was one) for Belgium today.

To be fair that's one match and he played CM along side Witsel, I'm talking about his Everton days when he did cause disruption in the opposition box...

I'm not saying either that he is an option from the start but there are those games where he could be useful when needs be.

Edit.... Just to be clear, I don't want to see him next nor near our CM in any capacity next season, I'm talking only sub to mix it up when it calls for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Will people ever start realising it's Cleverley and not Cleverly is the real important question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I think one of the main problems with Fellini in this World Cup was that he didn't have a clearly defined role and position. He just floated around the pitch.

To get the most out of him, you have either play him off the striker or sitting in front of a back four for the entire game.

Otherwise he isn't much use. And I think that's the crux of it; united won't play him up top, and we don't play so defensive as to need a deep lying CM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Rio got asked at halftime during Belgium/USA game what was Fell's best position he replied behind the striker. (Rooney,Mata,Kags,Adnan) all well ahead of him for that position.

We are well stacked in that position. I think it's best for Fell himself that he seeks a transfer from United to get on with his career instead of sitting on the bench with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Will people ever start realising it's Cleverley and not Cleverly is the real important question.

88046_grammar-nazi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Just on this point, every now and then there is a time when plan a and b are not getting the job done so why not keep him around (not ideally financially I admit) for situations such as the above, as you said it worked well for Everton and let's face it he is good at occupying the opposition CB when needs be....

It's an option is all I'm saying and I think last season proved he will not be our answer to a midfield enforcer... But in a 'get in the faces of the CB' capacity he has that in him

If Plan A doesn't work, plan B should be a change in formation or personnel. Somewhere around the letter 'X' should hoofball up to Fellaini become an option.

He hasn't the ability to play for us so he'll more than likely moved on.

If Plan A doesn't work, plan B should be a change in formation or personnel. Somewhere around the letter 'X' should hoofball up to Fellaini become an option.

He hasn't the ability to play for us so he'll more than likely moved on.

Yeah maybe, still.... It's an option.....

He just gives us that something different up there and there are situations that call for that...

But I do agree that him starting or even being first option to change a game would be down the list,far down the list but an option. One the less

I have an obvious inclination to see Holland continue to do well at this World Cup. But then my other side is saying, ffs Holland lose the fecking game and let The Iron Tulip get home to Old Trafford ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I want Van Gaal to come back and be 'Manchester United and World Cup winning manager'. And I want Van Persie to be 'Manchester United's World Cup winning striker'.

• Advertisement

Keno wrote: »
    I want Van Gaal to come back and be 'Manchester United and World Cup winning manager'. And I want Van Persie to be 'Manchester United's World Cup winning striker'.

Yes I see the appeal and the logic, I'm just seriously inpatient at this stage. I wish there was a tournament fast forward button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Where did you hear this? Are United in the running??

I got links of 2 Italian lads about it from Italy, saying we were one of the teams in with chance. Caught on to few United lads on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Fellaini has good speed and power for his size, good control and a good eye for short passing. Why then for United and now seemingly Belgium does he seem so static and out of sync with what his teammates are doing? I don't think he's a player you can quite tame would be my guess. When he has to be positionally aware he winds up being ultra conservative and not being able to assert himself on the game. He also seemingly instinctively leads with his elbows and given he's a lot taller than most players will clash with them a lot. He probably wants to avoid doing that as much now as it got him in a lot of card trouble before.

I still think he can be good for United if LVG lets him be the big nuisance dirty Van Bommel type player though. Let him loose to chase everything and he'd do a job imo. Though I still think Phil Jones is the man for the deep midfielder or 3rd defender role in the future so what do I know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

I'd rather Fellaini over Cleverley. At least Fellaini showed for the ball for us this season and had a presence. Cleverley is the optimum responsibility transference guy. Passes the ball to a lad that has no chance of retaining the ball, but it's ok...Cleverley made an accurate pass and didn't lose the ball...it was the other guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Liam O wrote: »
    Fellaini has good speed and power for his size, good control and a good eye for short passing. Why then for United and now seemingly Belgium does he seem so static and out of sync with what his teammates are doing? I don't think he's a player you can quite tame would be my guess. When he has to be positionally aware he winds up being ultra conservative and not being able to assert himself on the game. He also seemingly instinctively leads with his elbows and given he's a lot taller than most players will clash with them a lot. He probably wants to avoid doing that as much now as it got him in a lot of card trouble before.

I still think he can be good for United if LVG lets him be the big nuisance dirty Van Bommel type player though. Let him loose to chase everything and he'd do a job imo. Though I still think Phil Jones is the man for the deep midfielder or 3rd defender role in the future so what do I know?
    :confused: Fellaini is as slow as a snail. Joke of a footballer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

MD1990 wrote: »
    :confused: Fellaini is as slow as a snail. Joke of a footballer imo.

These type of statements make you look completely stupid. He had a bad season, as did a lot of the squad. Fellaini is a very good player, stood out at Everton and hasn't been near as bad as some people like to make out in the WC. He isn't being picked in that squad for no reason.

• Advertisement

I wish people would give Fellaini a second season at United before they judge/condemn him. You'd swear he was one of the only players to have a bad season at Man Utd last year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

I'd rather Fellaini over Cleverley. At least Fellaini showed for the ball for us this season and had a presence. Cleverley is the optimum responsibility transference guy. Passes the ball to a lad that has no chance of retaining the ball, but it's ok...Cleverley made an accurate pass and didn't lose the ball...it was the other guy!

Exactly my opinion of Carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cleverly, Welbeck, Young and especially Fellaini deserve at least 1 more season.

If they cant do it this season though then they can get the fcuk out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,715 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sacramento wrote: »
    I wish people would give Fellaini a second season at United before they judge/condemn him. You'd swear he was one of the only players to have a bad season at Man Utd last year..

Alot of people including myself said on day one he wasnt good enough for utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Alot of people including myself said on day one he wasnt good enough for utd.

Well we'll see this season I'm sure. As Kew says, he deserves another season to prove himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,715 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Well we'll see this season I'm sure. As Kew says, he deserves another season to prove himself.

But what does he have to prove? I dont get that argument. He shouldnt of been at the club in the first place and shows last season and this WC how technical inept he is. He was a rushed buy from an awful manager. We need a DM that can pass and have a bit of pace, we dont need a hacker or someone to lump balls up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Sell him now and we'll get very little for him. He's a better player than he has showed in the last year.
    Better to give him another season, working with van gaal. If he fails, sell him next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

But what does he have to prove? I dont get that argument. He shouldnt of been at the club in the first place and shows last season and this WC how technical inept he is. He was a rushed buy from an awful manager. We need a DM that can pass and have a bit of pace, we dont need a hacker or someone to lump balls up too.

I agree. As I said earlier he showed his best form at Everton up front. We aren't a hoofball team. His first touch is very poor and he puts in stupid tackles and elbows. I had hoped that Moyes could get more out of him considering how he had worked with him before but he couldnt. We've now seen 2 managers who couldn't get him to perform well enough to merit playing for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

It seems that Juve are seriously keen on Luis Nani, and have been for quite some time now. F*** knows why! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    It seems that Juve are seriously keen on Luis Nani, and have been for quite some time now. F*** knows why! :pac:

I heard that Antonio Conte is a huge Michael Jackson fan and collects everything resembling the former king of pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Need an injury free Hargreaves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

ElChe32 wrote: »
    I heard that Antonio Conte is a huge Michael Jackson fan and collects everything resembling the former king of pop.

Now that's a "bad" joke........... Ok I'll leave :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I keep wondering why.

They already had a talented but wildly inconsistent winger a few years back in Milos Krasic.

Don't know why they'd want to buy another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Hococop wrote: »

You've ruined a very good thing.

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    You've ruined a very good thing.

I know and I apologise :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Hococop wrote: »

Ah dont be so hard on yourself, what you might call a bad joke, others might find hilarious.

It's not Black or White......

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Ah dont be so hard on yourself, what you might call a bad joke, others might find hilarious.

It's not Black or White......

And you don't wanna be startin somethin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

IrishIrish wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of him at all, I just think the criticism of him is ridiculous at times. People looking for reasons non stop to give out about him.

I genuinely believe that Fellaini is pound for pound the worst player I have ever seen.

That is not hyperbole. We're talking about a £28m player.

He looks like some fella who has been plucked from the local pub and stuck into the Manchester United team.

He really is that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Has Vidal indicated that he wants to leave Juve at all then? Speaking of Juve, they have probably the best midfield three partnership in Europe at the moment: Pogba, Vidal and Pirlo. Surprised they haven't made much of an impact in the CL.

I keep wondering why.

They already had a talented but wildly inconsistent winger a few years back in Milos Krasic.

Don't know why they'd want to buy another.
    Nani and Krasic are as different of players as you can get in that position. It's like comparing Nani to Valencia, very different.

Well he has to prove he can cut it at Untied. Prove he had more about him then what we saw last season.
    I don't think it's fair to call Moyes an awful manager, it didn't work out for him but I definitely don't think he's awful. He has a track record of buying very good players.

I think Fellaini could play the DM role effectively, you don't need to be able to play amazing long balls to play it well. I think he has it in him. Just my opinion. If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up and admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Maybe they intend to play him consistently on the right wing and give him more than 2 games in a row to find his form. That way he could be a brilliant signing for them.

If on the other hand they fcuk him in at left wing and drop him after a bad couple of games then he will be a terrible signing.

I genuinely believe that Fellaini is pound for pound the worst player I have ever seen.

That is not hyperbole.

Actually, that's the very definition of hyperbole perfectly demonstrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

"Sell them all"

Superthread mantra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Actually, that's the very definition of hyperbole perfectly demonstrated.

I disagree.

If you asked me to name the worst player pound for pound I've ever seen, I'd cite Fellaini.

He is shocking.

I disagree.

If you asked me to name the worst player pound for pound I've ever seen, I'd cite Fellaini.

He is shocking.

He's not even Man Utd's worst signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

I disagree.

He is shocking.

FFS he obviously isn't. He just played 90 mins in the quarter final of the world cup. Wasn't particularly great in the game but a long way away from the worst player on the team.

It's obvious you don't like him. But he's not a shocking player. Maybe not at the standard high enough to play for United but still not a shocking player, as he has shown for Everton when he destroyed the apparently superior united players on more than one occasion.

10521751_890428067640673_193951347_n.jpg?oh=0fdbda31af8bcc7027bde5015d4bd1da&oe=53BA5005&__gda__=1404703258_509924199721bebdc761d465f811111d

as its twitter it could be complete nonsense, but that would change that vidal deal and again its all speculation with that deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

2XlB6g6.gif?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

He's not even Man Utd's worst signing.

Who was worse?:eek:

Wtf does pound for pound even mean in football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

I disagree.

He is shocking.

Pound for pound.....it has to be Mark "who ate all the pies" Bosnich
    A real heavyweight disaster signing

Zico wrote: »
    Who was worse?:eek:

Just off the top of my head I'll name three. Taibi, Kleberson, Djemba Djemba Djemba Djemba etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Well he has to prove he can cut it at Untied. Prove he had more about him then what we saw last season.
    I don't think it's fair to call Moyes an awful manager, it didn't work out for him but I definitely don't think he's awful. He has a track record of buying very good players.

I think Fellaini could play the DM role effectively, you don't need to be able to play amazing long balls to play it well. I think he has it in him. Just my opinion. If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up and admit it.

If someone said to you, I have a player who plays DM. Hes tall, strong, good with his chest and head but has a tendency to use his elbows dangerously when jostling, isn't mobile, isn't energetic, doesn't read the game particularly well.

Is that a player you would say to yourself could play DM effectively in this day and age where a big part of a DM's role is to break up counter attacks and track runners?

Fellaini is not that player. Never has been, never will be.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement