Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

I genuinely believe that Fellaini is pound for pound the worst player I have ever seen.

That is not hyperbole. We're talking about a £28m player.

He looks like some fella who has been plucked from the local pub and stuck into the Manchester United team.

He really is that bad.

Worst United signing ever, no. Pound for pound worst signing, still no. Djemba-Djemba cost 3.5m. Even if it's a relatively low fee, it's still equivalent to United spending 3.5m on me so I would consider that the pound for pound worst signing rather than a player who has shown his worth in the premier league already. Djemba-Djemba was absolute poison. Kleberson wasn't far behind either.

TheTownie wrote: »
    If someone said to you, I have a player who plays DM. Hes tall, strong, good with his chest and head but has a tendency to use his elbows dangerously when jostling, isn't mobile, isn't energetic, doesn't read the game particularly well.

Is that a player you would say to yourself could play DM effectively in this day and age where a big part of a DM's role is to break up counter attacks and track runners?

Fellaini is not that player. Never has been, never will be.

Listen I get that a good few on here think he isn't up to it but I think he is. I've said I'll admit to it if I'm wrong so all you have to do wait until I'm wrong, since you're so sure I will be, then watch me hold my hands up and admit it.

Then we'll all be able to go back to eating Mega Meanies while drinking Score cola. It'll be lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Karel Poborsky was a poor signing as well. Does anyone remember how much we paid for him?

On the subject of Fellaini, I don't think he is a central midfielder. He's most useful further forward and in the box, where he can knock headers down to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

RvP=Offside, Pound for Pound worst striker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Sacramento wrote: »
    He's not even Man Utd's worst signing.

People don't seem to understand the meaning of "pound for pound". Eric Djemba Djemba cost £3.5m. Marouane Fellaini cost £28m. My view is that on a cost versus quality basis, Fellaini is the worst player I've ever seen. I'm not saying that he's necessarily worse than Ralph Milne or Eric Djemba Djemba in terms of quality alone but "pound for pound" he is the worst I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Just off the top of my head I'll name three. Taibi, Kleberson, Djemba Djemba Djemba Djemba etc..

They were all bargains compared to Fellaini, we didn't pay an extra £3m above an already inflated price for any of them in a panic on the last day of the transfer window.

The club will lose the cost of the those players and then some if Fellaini is offloaded this summer.

There's never been a signing like Fellaini at Utd and it's highly unlikely there will be again. Not his fault but he is the worst signing in Utd's history.

RichFTW wrote: »
    Worst United signing ever, no. Pound for pound worst signing, still no. Djemba-Djemba cost 3.5m. Even if it's a relatively low fee, it's still equivalent to United spending 3.5m on me so I would consider that the pound for pound worst signing rather than a player who has shown his worth in the premier league already. Djemba-Djemba was absolute poison. Kleberson wasn't far behind either.

The point is that if you've a few contenders for worst signing ever and one cost at least eight times as much as the others, it's pretty clear who your "winner" is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Listen I get that a good few on here think he isn't up to it but I think he is. I've said I'll admit to it if I'm wrong so all you have to do wait until I'm wrong, since you're so sure I will be, then watch me hold my hands up and admit it.

Then we'll all be able to go back to eating Mega Meanies while drinking Score cola. It'll be lovely.

I'll probably have forgotten we had this conversation by then :(

Anyway mightn't get that far if reports have a kernel of truth in them. Fellaini may receive the 'Riquelme conversation' from Van Gaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Judging by the Dutch performance tonight next season will be "boring boring man United"

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Liam O wrote: »
    Wtf does pound for pound even mean in football?

It means taking account of the players' cost.

Djemba Djemba cost £3.5m and was terrible. Marouane Fellaini cost £28m and is terrible.

Who's a worse signing - The terrible player who cost us £3.5m or the terrible player who cost us eight times as much?

Bosnich was free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Judging by the Dutch performance tonight next season will be "boring boring man United"

That's why it'd be stupid to judge it on one performance.

sigmundv wrote: »
    Karel Poborsky was a poor signing as well. Does anyone remember how much we paid for him?

On the subject of Fellaini, I don't think he is a central midfielder. He's most useful further forward and in the box, where he can knock headers down to others.

£3.5m for Poborsky.

Remember the "Pob Lob" in Euro '96?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

How the **** can we compare players pound for pound?
    Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Judging the Dutch by the last 5 minutes United will have a lot of attacks down the right wing next season.

Edit: There will also be a lot of opposition players stretchered off.

Remember the "Pob Lob" in Euro '96?
    I do! He played well that tournament, but never did much for us. He only played 32 matches for us, scoring 5 goals.

Ridiculous.

It's not "pound lb"...it's "pound sterling".

How difficult a concept is it that a bad £28m signing is worse than a bad £3.5m signing?

What is ridiculous about that?

It means taking account of the players' cost.

Djemba Djemba cost £3.5m and was terrible. Marouane Fellaini cost £28m and is terrible.

Who's a worse signing - The terrible player who cost us £3.5m or the terrible player who cost us eight times as much?

Bosnich was free.

So was djemba 25 million times not as bad?

Not at all. This is not a boring match and is by far the best of the four quarter-finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Ridiculous.

Simple business economics. I'm sure the glazers rate players on a per pound basis and wasting £27m on Fellani would have been one of the reasons that Moyes was booted out.

The players might be equally bad but the value for money rating is completely different and therefore a much bigger waste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Not at all. This is not a boring match and is by far the best of the four quarter-finals.

first one i havent fell asleep to and you have to give it to costa rica theyre ****ing organised on defense

It's not "pound lb"...it's "pound sterling".

How difficult a concept is it that a bad £28m signing is worse than a bad £3.5m signing?

What is ridiculous about that?

Ya I got that, cheers.

There is about a million different reasons why a fee is different.

You can't simply say ya he cost more therefore he is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

The point is that if you've a few contenders for worst signing ever and one cost at least eight times as much as the others, it's pretty clear who your "winner" is.

My point though is that he was so bad, it would be like United spending 3.5m on someone they randomly took off the street thus making it the worst signing regardless of what Fellaini cost. 3.5m on someone who shouldn't have been a footballer is worse than 28m on a player who had proved he could be competitive in the premier league. Even if the transfer was about 8m too much.

Also Fellaini has only played one season for United in a year where most of the players were poor.

So was djemba 25 million times not as bad?

Oh dear...

If Player A cost £7m and Player B cost £28m, which of the following statements is true?

- Player B cost 21 million times as much as Player A.

- Player B cost four times as much as Player A.

Ya I got that, cheers.

There is about a million different reasons why a fee is different.

Eh, yes you can!

Imagine you were the manager of Manchester United. You sign two players, one on a free transfer and one for £50m. Both turn out to be disastrous signings. Which signing is worse?

I would genuinely challenge anyone to name a worse "pound for pound" United signing than Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

jackie-chan-meme_thumb7.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lads have youse calculated inflation into this? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

The argument you are failing to see is the difference between a worse player or a worse signing.

Djemba Djemba might be a slightly worse player than Fellani but fellani cost 8 times more therefore Fellani is clearly the worse signing. To have the same value for money, Fellani would need to be 8 times better than Djemba Djemba.

Of course there are inflationary increases to consider but there is still enough to say that Fellani was a worse signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I feel dumber for reading the last couple of pages.

I blame Headshot.

adox wrote: »
    This is a good point. What is £3.5m or £8m in 2013 prices?

• Advertisement

zarquon wrote: »
    The argument you are failing to see is the difference between a worse player or a worse signing.

Djemba Djemba might be a slightly worse player than Fellani but fellani cost 8 times more therefore Fellani is clearly the worse signing. To have the same value for money, Fellani would need to be 8 times better than Djemba Djemba.

Of course there are inflationary increases to consider but there is still enough to say that Fellani was a worse signing.

:pac:

This is a good point. What is £3.5m or £8m in 2013 prices?

There's an article that adjusts the figures:

https://betting.betfair.com/betting/oddly-enough/the-10-biggest-manchester-united-transfer-flops-151113-629.html

It claims that Poborsky's £3.5m is equivalent to £13.3m in today's terms (from a football perspective - Actual inflation clearly isn't that high).

There's net spend to consider too.

I thought that was a Liverpool thing.. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 beaverfever

Hope to God we get Vidal and not Carvalho. Hummels would be amazing as well but not very likely so Lovren would be my 1st preference after him

****'s sake, Robin is caught offside again and again tonight. This is what we have slated Chicha for.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Oh God!

Oh God!

There's an article that adjusts the figures:

https://betting.betfair.com/betting/oddly-enough/the-10-biggest-manchester-united-transfer-flops-151113-629.html

It claims that Poborsky's £3.5m is equivalent to £13.3m in today's terms (from a football perspective - Actual inflation clearly isn't that high).

Oh holy mother of jesus and all the saints

God. Holy mother of Jesus and all the saints. Plus the micky of the holy ghost. Please nooooooooooooooooo!

• Advertisement

Have we forgot about interest rates as well?

What about the oppurtunity cost of the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Back pages tomorrow are going with vidal to united for 50m + nani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The lot of ye tonight :pac:

keyboard_bash1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Back pages tomorrow are going with vidal to united for 50m + nani.

euro or pounds?

Van gaal. Subbing on a striker for a defender.

Wouldn't see moyes doing that.

What a sexy old man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I remember coming in here to discuss united...

what the **** happened the last day or two ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Hococop wrote: »
    euro or pounds?

Pounds

Have we forgot about interest rates as well?

What about the oppurtunity cost of the money?

There's a statue down in Ballinspittle doing handstands, please stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

LVG...I love this man.

• Advertisement

Krul :confused::eek::eek::eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement