Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

The move by LVG to bring on Krul wasn't "genius" or it didn't show he had massive balls. It wasn't a spur of the moment thing, this was a planned move before the tournament I believe. It's logical...you have a GK who's **** at penalties, you sub him for someone who's less ****. If LVG believed Cillesen was poor at penalties than it would have been stupid NOT to sub him. I believe it was the GK coach who made this decision pre tournament.

All the talk about LVG reacting to a game and changing tactics to suit, how about getting the tactics right at the start, then you won't need to go a goal down....you can't win every game from behind. It's a bit like the defenders making last ditch tackles that make them look great. If you were in position you wouldn't need to make a last ditch tackle. Mourinho gets his tactics spot on from the beginning, doesn't give the other team a sniff. Costa Rica aren't world beaters and he could easily have lost.

We HAVE to be challenging for the title...this team won the league 2 years ago. Forget Moyes...he can't be judged on Moyes 7th place. The investment requires that he challenges for the league.

I have faith in LVG though.

You have to remember that the current holland team wouldn't be classes as world beaters either. There's quite a few average players in the team.
    Also, I think you do Costa Rica a disservice. They are a very well organised team and extremely difficult to break down. They already got the better of England, Italy and Uruguay.
    Van gaal set his team up the right way, because holland were unlucky not to win the game before it got anywhere near penalties. They hit the bar three times and navas played out of his skin.
    As for the Krul decision. It was probably planned before the game, but still took balls to make that substitution because it could have backfired. And if holland went out on penalties, everyone would have said that the other keeper had played well in the game and could have maybe saved a penalty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

You have to remember that the current holland team wouldn't be classes as world beaters either. There's quite a few average players in the team.
    Also, I think you do Costa Rica a disservice. They are a very well organised team and extremely difficult to break down. They already got the better of England, Italy and Uruguay.
    Van gaal set his team up the right way, because holland were unlucky not to win the game before it got anywhere near penalties. They hit the bar three times and navas played out of his skin.
    As for the Krul decision. It was probably planned before the game, but still took balls to make that substitution because it could have backfired. And if holland went out on penalties, everyone would have said that the other keeper had played well in the game and could have maybe saved a penalty.

Uruguay showed they were an average team without Suarez...England are poor, Italy poor also. Costa Rica played very well...but they didn't beat Greece in 90 mins either who are no great shakes.

I feel Wilmots subbing Hazard off for Chadli showed greater guts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think it's pretty obvious that it wasn't a spur of the moment "Eureka".

And that's what makes it better. Much better

You see, this had been planned. Meticulously. The formative stages before the World Cup began, and once they reached the knockouts, it was a possibility.

Krul looked supremely confident before each penalty and dived the right way each time without hesitation. They had their homework done.

With ALL that in mind, you still had to do it on the night. People were wondering why the Dutch were making their substitutions late on. And then he made that change.

It was a risk. The keeper had made some great saves and was fired up. Krul had spent the World Cup on the bench and was being asked to save penalties against a team who have shown what they can do from the spot already.

LVG did all that knowing that if it came off, he would be lauded. But if it did not come off, he would be solely to blame for the Dutch going out, that the media would have a field day and that he would come to United as the manager that make a stupid decision.

Did it phase him. Not one ****ing bit. He did his homework, her carried out his tactics and he won the game.

Krul said this morning that he knew it was possible that be may come on for penalties and LVG said he decided against telling the other keeper so as to keep his mind focused.

When the gk saw he was being subbed, seconds before his big moment in front of the world, what did he do? B!tch and moan? Threw his eyes up? No, he got on with it, and celebrated every penalty save that was made. It shows that the keeper is professional but it also shows the trust that the team has in LVG.

So, it wasn't spur of the moment. It's an indication that we have the right man for the job at United.

The move by LVG to bring on Krul wasn't "genius" or it didn't show he had massive balls. It wasn't a spur of the moment thing, this was a planned move before the tournament I believe. It's logical...you have a GK who's **** at penalties, you sub him for someone who's less ****. If LVG believed Cillesen was poor at penalties than it would have been stupid NOT to sub him. I believe it was the GK coach who made this decision pre tournament.

All the talk about LVG reacting to a game and changing tactics to suit, how about getting the tactics right at the start, then you won't need to go a goal down....you can't win every game from behind. It's a bit like the defenders making last ditch tackles that make them look great. If you were in position you wouldn't need to make a last ditch tackle. Mourinho gets his tactics spot on from the beginning, doesn't give the other team a sniff. Costa Rica aren't world beaters and he could easily have lost.

We HAVE to be challenging for the title...this team won the league 2 years ago. Forget Moyes...he can't be judged on Moyes 7th place. The investment requires that he challenges for the league.

I have faith in LVG though.

Uruguay showed they were an average team without Suarez...England are poor, Italy poor also. Costa Rica played very well...but they didn't beat Greece in 90 mins either who are no great shakes.

I feel Wilmots subbing Hazard off for Chadli showed greater guts.

It showed guts, but it was a stupid decision.

Greece are notoriously difficult team to play against. And I wouldn't class Italy as a poor team.
    Costa Rica were going to be a tough nut to crack. Holland did enough to get past them, despite being very limited in the centre of midfield. The loss of de Jong has been a major blow to them, but they still managed to outfight Mexico and Costa Rica.
    I would give the manager huge credit for that.

AND I put ten euro on holland before the World Cup at 33/1. Come on!!!!

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think it's pretty obvious that it wasn't a spur of the moment "Eureka".

And that's what makes it better. Much better

You see, this had been planned. Meticulously. The formative stages before the World Cup began, and once they reached the knockouts, it was a possibility.

Krul looked supremely confident before each penalty and dived the right way each time without hesitation. They had their homework done.

With ALL that in mind, you still had to do it on the night. People were wondering why the Dutch were making their substitutions late on. And then he made that change.

It was a risk. The keeper had made some great saves and was fired up. Krul had spent the World Cup on the bench and was being asked to save penalties against a team who have shown what they can do from the spot already.

LVG did all that knowing that if it came off, he would be lauded. But if it did not come off, he would be solely to blame for the Dutch going out, that the media would have a field day and that he would come to United as the manager that make a stupid decision.

Did it phase him. Not one ****ing bit. He did his homework, her carried out his tactics and he won the game.

Krul said this morning that he knew it was possible that be may come on for penalties and LVG said he decided against telling the other keeper so as to keep his mind focused.

When the gk saw he was being subbed, seconds before his big moment in front of the world, what did he do? B!tch and moan? Threw his eyes up? No, he got on with it, and celebrated every penalty save that was made. It shows that the keeper is professional but it also shows the trust that the team has in LVG.

So, it wasn't spur of the moment. It's an indication that we have the right man for the job at United.

I'd give more credit to the GK coach than LVG.

Perhaps the extra sub might have been better used trying to win the game in normal time rather than go to the lottery of a penalty shootout.

Cillesen has never saved a penalty I believe so why would you have faith in someone like that?

If the goalkeeper didn't know he was coming off...how will that now affect his performances from now, will his confidence be dented? He will know now if it's late in extra time he'll be subbed off again, will he lose focus?

Lucky to beat Australia and drew 0-0 v Costa Rica.

• Advertisement

I just feel that everyone is getting too excited..as if everything LVG touches turns to gold. He hasn't been a success everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Anyone know what date sky and bt will release the televised fixtures looking to get over to a game in november?

I just feel that everyone is getting too excited..as if everything LVG touches turns to gold. He hasn't been a success everywhere.

He's an outstanding manager with a brilliant record. He is our new manager. He is bringing a fairly limited Holland team into a semi-final against Argentina. He seems to have forced the club into silence in regards to transfers. It would appear that we are suddenly going to sort out our long standing midfield issues.

There's lots to be excited about. Cheer up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

yermandan wrote: »
    10447858_10152189744206121_4063377389663243533_n.jpg

I agree but the decision is to be commended.

However everyone's forgetting the fact that the Dutch penalties were all perfect whereas the Costa Rica ones were poor. One thing about the Dutch is they can hit an exact spot from 12 yards.

This Dutch team is limited in other ways though. Really the only tactic they have is 'get the ball to Robben'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Shhhh!

Part of the fun of getting overexcited about LVG is that it's driving "other" fans nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He's only managed 4 club sides and has won at least a league title with each one.

He's an outstanding manager with a brilliant record. He is our new manager. He is bringing a fairly limited Holland team into a semi-final against Argentina. He seems to have forced the club into silence in regards to transfers. It would appear that we are suddenly going to sort out our long standing midfield issues.

There's lots to be excited about. Cheer up.

I'm very excited!

Looking forward to the new season. I think we can challenge for the title. Worried about the striker situation, RVP can't go on forever. His level has to drop sometime. Wondering when that will happen. Talk of an 80m euro bid for Cavani this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I'm very excited!

Looking forward to the new season. I think we can challenge for the title. Worried about the striker situation, RVP can't go on forever. His level has to drop sometime. Wondering when that will happen. Talk of an 80m euro bid for Cavani this week.

I dont think our striking options are something to worry about should we see no activity in that area this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Zico wrote: »
    Shhhh!

Part of the fun of getting overexcited about LVG is that it's driving "other" fans nuts.

Ain't that the truth. I have read some of amount of incredible stupid & petty comments directed at us. Makes it all the more wonderful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Keno wrote: »
    I was doing some hard-nosed investigative work earlier (I tweeted Miguel Delaney do we have a chance at getting Vidal and he replied)

I know a few in here don't like him (I do anyway) but that's beside the point anyway because as FutureGuy would say....

We're not signing Vidal.

Been saying it for 2 seasons. The best realistic signing United could make. He's been the best (top 3 at the very least) CM in world football for the last 2 years imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Keno wrote: »
    I was doing some hard-nosed investigative work earlier (I tweeted Miguel Delaney do we have a chance at getting Vidal and he replied)

I know a few in here don't like him (I do anyway) but that's beside the point anyway because as FutureGuy would say....

We're not signing Vidal.

I'm praying every day for this transfer to happen....and I'm an atheist.....

I'm very excited!

RVP has a couple of good seasons left. We also have Rooney, Welbeck, Chico, Wilson, Lingard - just in case. And supporting attacking players of Mata, Kagawa, Nani, Januzaj, Powell, Young, Zaha and Valencia. Nothing to worry about there.

My own advice is to ignore the Cavani link. It's lazy journalism.
    IMO we're probably chasing 3/4 players, with the view to signing two of them.
    Cuadrado, Vidal, Carvalho, Vermealan are likely targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Blatter wrote: »

Sounds like a complicated transfer to get done. Juventus (quite rightly) have slapped a big price tag on the player. United want to shift some unwanted players (Nani, Evra) as part of the deal. If Juventus are open to that, there will be talks with those players about the length of their contracts and the wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Imagine Vidal and Strootman for next season.

I would freak out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Can I ask, who's going to be the back-up LB if Evra goes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

10525592_649095541847836_1569116651209071614_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Headshot wrote: »

I would freak out

tumblr_lh6weimfMc1qc47qq.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

People on here saying that Holland are a limited team , I dont see it that way at all . I think they've got some great players ( a lot of whom id love to see at utd ) . Also costa Rica are not the whipping boys people mistook them for previous to the tournament ,they reched the quarter finals and any team who underestimated them soon realised they were in a fvcking game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Costa Rica go out of the tournament at the quarter final stage without losing a game. Says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

dor843088 wrote: »
    Also costa Rica are not the whipping boys people mistook them for previous to the tournament ,they reched the quarter finals and any team who underestimated them soon realised they were in a fvcking game.

Only conceded two goals in total against Italy, Uruguay, England, Greece and Holland. Pretty impressive alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Can I ask, who's going to be the back-up LB if Evra goes?

Could see us getting Blind then. Can cover LB and play in CM.

Headshot wrote: »

I would freak out

[IMG][/img]eB9wic.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im liking the vibe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Personally I would not mind if Utd paid 50m sterling for Vidal or a player of similar quality because that is only paying the going rate for a top quality player...when you consider that Fellaini who would not stand out in the English Chsmpionship cost 27m,twice the price would be acceptable for a proper player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Looks like Sanchez to Arsenal could be done soon so Juve will still be in the market for a right winger

Player swaps are rare but if we could ship Evra and Nani off plus cash to get Vidal it should be done

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I must say I have no issue with people saying Fellaini isn't good enough for United, but saying he wouldn't stand out in the Championship is going way OTT.

I sometimes think people forget how good he was at Everton. If he doesn't make it at United, he'll certainly stay in a top league somewhere.

I'm very happy to keep him (unless we get a very good offer). He'll be a very good squad option but I don't think he'll stay. Herrera will be ahead of him as will whoever else we sign in CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

Could Fellaini play a role like de Jong plays in the Dutch squad ? ( before he got injured)

Personally I would not mind if Utd paid 50m sterling for Vidal or a player of similar quality because that is only paying the going rate for a top quality player...when you consider that Fellaini who would not stand out in the English Chsmpionship cost 27m,twice the price would be acceptable for a proper player!

Absolute rubbish. Fellaini would be the best player in the championship by a million miles without breaking a sweat once from August to May. He probably will be turfed out of United, and quickly come back to haunt us in a Newcastle or Spurs jersey.
    I think people get brainwashed by the British media witch hunt. He's not a terrible player FFS. He wouldn't be at United and played a quater final in the world cup if he was.
    And another thing, he was berated for his performance yesterday by everyone, but was nowhere near the worst player in the Belgian team. Hazard looked like he two left feet and hardly anyone criticised him.

The problem with him is that he doesn't fit into the United team, and probably never will. And that's not his fault. By all accounts he's a nice bloke who, like all professionals, wants to go as far as possible in the sport. United overpaid for him. That's not his fault. If Fergie has signed him a year before for 15M there wouldn't be half as many people having a go at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

weisses wrote: »
    Could Fellaini play a role like de Jong plays in the Dutch squad ? ( before he got injured)

Fellaini can't play football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Absolute rubbish. Fellaini would be the best player in the championship by a million miles without breaking a sweat once from August to May. He probably will be turfed out of United, and quickly come back to haunt us in a Newcastle or Spurs jersey.
    I think people get brainwashed by the British media witch hunt. He's not a terrible player FFS. He wouldn't be at United and played a quater final in the world cup if he was.
    And another thing, he was berated for his performance yesterday by everyone, but was nowhere near the worst player in the Belgian team. Hazard looked like he two left feet and hardly anyone criticised him.

The problem with him is that he doesn't fit into the United team, and probably never will. And that's not his fault. By all accounts he's a nice bloke who, like all professionals, wants to go as far as possible in the sport. United overpaid for him. That's not his fault. If Fergie has signed him a year before for 15M there wouldn't be half as many people having a go at him.

The title of your post is very apt. By all accounts Fellaini is a very limited player who would be effective for a team where their game plan is too hoof it up to him behind the striker trying to get knockdowns. He's a nice bloke? How many elbows have you seen him throw when games were heated, hes a dirty fecker and that's probably my most hated characteristic about him, well that and his big bushy head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I must say I have no issue with people saying Fellaini isn't good enough for United, but saying he wouldn't stand out in the Championship is going way OTT.

I sometimes think people forget how good he was at Everton. If he doesn't make it at United, he'll certainly stay in a top league somewhere.

I'm very happy to keep him (unless we get a very good offer). He'll be a very good squad option but I don't think he'll stay. Herrera will be ahead of him as will whoever else we sign in CM.

Well We are all entitled to our own opinions,v different type of player but Joey Barton who might have a screw loose but is a very skillfull player with great touch and vision was not a standout player in championship last year so doubt v much if Feillaini would be.

nuxxx wrote: »
    The title of your post is very apt. By all accounts Fellaini is a very limited player who would be effective for a team where their game plan is too hoof it up to him behind the striker trying to get knockdowns. He's a nice bloke? How many elbows have you seen him throw when games were heated, hes a dirty fecker and that's probably my most hated characteristic about him, well that and his big bushy head

You honestly think that's how he became a professional footballer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

You honestly think that's how he became a professional footballer?

I didn't say that, I said its his most effective position. In a CM role he is very average indeed, and sure there is plenty of average professional footballers, we have enough of them at United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

In lanzarote and wifi is terrible... What's been happening last 3 days on the transfer front lads? Any news or strong rumours Etc? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Fellaini can't play football.

And yet he cost nearly £30m.

He was the main guy at Everton and he suited their style of play. Also. he wasn't scrutinised after any bad performances.

He was dire for Utd and will be forever be linked with the Moyes era at the club. He needs to move on asap.

He has been woeful for Belgium too bar the game where he came on as a sub, scored and actually changed the game. Since that he's been very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

rarnes1 wrote: »
    And yet he cost nearly £30m.

He was the main guy at Everton and he suited their style of play. Also. he wasn't scrutinised after any bad performances.

He was dire for Utd and will be forever be linked with the Moyes era at the club. He needs to move on asap.

He has been woeful for Belgium too bar the game where he came on as a sub, scored and actually changed the game. Since that he's been very poor.

He's as far from a midfielder as you could find.

For a big club yes I certainly agree.

He's out of his depth.

Fairly random game against Arsenal, in his Everton days.
    He's no Vidal. But to say this guy is Championship level, or that he can't play football, is just lazy. And wrong.

I'll bow out of this debate now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

adox wrote: »
    Costa Rica go out of the tournament at the quarter final stage without losing a game. Says it all.

Italia 90. Ireland go out at the quarter final stage without winning a game. That was a mad one :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Italia 90. Ireland go out at the quarter final stage without winning a game. That was a mad one :pac:

amazing what you can do when back passes are allowed :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

RobertKK wrote: »
    I think most people liked who he [Moyes] wanted - Herrera, Kroos, got us Mata. Got Januzaj tied down.
    Moyes does seem a decent person and deserves credit for getting Januzaj into the first team fold, but I never could understand the rest of these types of praise he got beyond the "benefit of the doubt" treatment he received from the media through much of the season, especially with Herrera. We did sign Mata during his time here, but he had no clue how to use him and for the first few months seemed under the impression that he was a winger/WF, which really makes me question his input. As for Herrera, we were interested in him long before Moyes came around, as per a lot of accounts it was Moyes who pulled the plug on Herrera last deadline day so we could make sure we got Fellaini as he did not feel comfortable spending that much on a player he had not personally scouted.

The only two players we know for certain that Moyes was interested in were Fellaini and Baines, and that is kind of embarrassing as his petrified, small club mentality tactics. Also Fabreas and Thiago actually, but the approach used to get both of them was even more embarrassing (possibly a much or more the fault of Woodward on that front, to be fair).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Hi all, my first post in the soccer forum! :-p

Really exciting times for Man Utd fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

py2006 wrote: »
    Hi all, my first post in the soccer forum! :-p

Really exciting times for Man Utd fans.

Welcome to the party.:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement