Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It was shot at the end of the season I reckon, before everyone fecked off to the World Cup. Then the staff at Old Trafford went on holidays so Billy the intern was left to release the photo. Unfortunately for Billy, Moyes got the sack, Van Gaal came in, Herrera and Shaw were signed, Buttner left and Billy had to whip out the photoshop and make some amends.

He tried his very best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

MagicIRL wrote: »
    It was shot at the end of the season I reckon, before everyone fecked off to the World Cup. Then the staff at Old Trafford went on holidays so Billy the intern was left to release the photo. Unfortunately for Billy, Moyes got the sack, Van Gaal came in, Herrera and Shaw were signed, Buttner left and Billy had to whip out the photoshop and make some amends.

He tried his very best.
    I really did. :(

I even put James Corden in behind Fletcher as an Easter Egg and nobody noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I want two Herrera's playing in our midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

FutureGuy wrote: »
    OMG is that Vidal in the backgound at the back right????

Of course it isn't. Because we are not signing Vidal.

FFS! it's wrecking my head who that actually is now! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

FutureGuy wrote: »
    OMG is that Vidal in the backgound at the back right????

No, look closer.............:pac:

34265_66666_copy_copy_copy_copy_copy_copy_copy_copy_copy_copy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Smalling? Looks like his ear, and its someone in nike boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Smalling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ashley Young cropped out on the right,please let it be a sign.

Anyhow,twitter and Spanish media going nuts over Di Maria to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

zerks wrote: »

Now that would be a signing !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Don't see any transfer action whilst players are still actually involved in the WC.

Di Maria is a decent player, totally one footed but his stats are good (62 assists in 4 seasons in La Liga is very impressive actually). I would not say no. He is a marquee player too, just not as big as maybe some people want tbh.

• Advertisement

Its probably Cleverly, the useless fecker. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pretty rubbish photo to be fair..... also rubbish having Kagawa front and central, being so marginalized last two seasons. Makes it even more obvious its a ploy to sell kits in Asia.

Pretty disappointed with that.

If they want to target kit sales in Asia, then put him forefront to a poster targeted to the Asian market, via the Asian social media we have, or advertisements we will most likely take out.

**** like that really irks me. DDG should be in the middle flanked by RVP and Rooney.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Van Gaal's approach is a joy to behold after years of frustration.

He recognised midfield as a problem and has done something (Herrera). Plus he figured "who's the best?" and then targeted him (Vidal apparently).

Then we have the Hummels stories.

We are entering an exciting time in our history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Di Maria is obviously just a smokescreen for Ronaldo's return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Ashley Young cropped out on the right,please let it be a sign.

No they're not going nuts. It's a bs rumour in the junk papers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I worry about Vidal stories. I feel they are more like the Fabregas and Sneijder stories which are dragged on, inconsistent and get everyone stupidly excited, but then never come to fruition. And the journalists who have gotten a summer out of the stories then just blame someone like Woodward and rather than get annoyed by another summer saga the journalists have orchestrated, people get angry with the club who never confirmed or denied one way or other.

Compare to RVP, Mata or Herrera who came out of nowhere with only a few whispers, and the deal was done within a few days of the talk developing. And when the journalists talk about the stories, they All have the same stories, cause they have been briefed.

Hopefully, I am wrong. Would love Vidal. But doesn't feel like it's a proper probability yet for me. Just journalist linking us to a player they know fans want and who fit what the club need right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Who is that in the Sharp jersey in between Mata and Hernandez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Jaysis lads people love moaning about something its just a picture and I think the new Jersey is nice.

Vidal story just seems like a paper seller hopefully we are trying but the links are pretty weak right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You can see that that image is aimed at the Asian Market as if you go onto the club site its Carrick in the picture in the same pose as Kagawa.. The Photoshopping on both are awful!

Jersey looks alot better than the other images imo

beno619 wrote: »
    Jaysis lads people love moaning about something its just a picture and I think the new Jersey is nice.

Vidal story just seems like a paper seller hopefully we are trying but the links are pretty weak right now.

It's a marketing poster for a supposed big business for a pretty big deal that happens once a year.

It's ****ing terrible and embarrassing quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TheDoc wrote: »
    It's a marketing poster for a supposed big business for a pretty big deal that happens once a year.

Could be worse,have you seen the new Liverpool 3rd kit.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I worry about Vidal stories. I feel they are more like the Fabregas and Sneijder stories which are dragged on, inconsistent and get everyone stupidly excited, but then never come to fruition. And the journalists who have gotten a summer out of the stories then just blame someone like Woodward and rather than get annoyed by another summer saga the journalists have orchestrated, people get angry with the club who never confirmed or denied one way or other.

Compare to RVP, Mata or Herrera who came out of nowhere with only a few whispers, and the deal was done within a few days of the talk developing. And when the journalists talk about the stories, they All have the same stories, cause they have been briefed.

Hopefully, I am wrong. Would love Vidal. But doesn't feel like it's a proper probability yet for me. Just journalist linking us to a player they know fans want and who fit what the club need right now.

Most of the speculation is put out there by the players Agents I think ... Speculation could drive up the price and their fee

Who cares ? I'm just interested in seeing the new kit.

Have we not learned by now that the people in charge of social media and maintaining the website aren't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I'm bringing sexy back (yeah)...

10492049_10152286658082746_3644080931529139421_n.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The material on the shirt looks really thick or something.

It would look better if the white stripe was a lot thinner on the arms, or not there at all imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lord TSC wrote: »

Bingo!!! There's a saga every window with United. The Kroos one got nipped in the bud early so they have moved on to Vidal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think United's transfer business is done for this window. I'd say one of Ando or Cleverley alongside Herrera is the plan.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think United's transfer business is done for this window. I'd say one of Ando or Cleverley alongside Herrera is the plan.

If that were the case do you think ye will break back into the top 4 this year?

I'd be sceptical, but I suppose if LVG can get the best out of Mata/Kagawa/Rooney and RVP it wouldn't be impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Sarcasm?

• Advertisement

Could be worse,have you seen the new Liverpool 3rd kit.:pac:

I like it, have a thing for black+red stuff.

Mickeroo wrote: »

I'd be sceptical, but I suppose if LVG can get the best out of Mata/Kagawa/Rooney and RVP it wouldn't be impossible.

To be honest, I'm being part tongue-in-cheek in that post and FutureGuying it a bit. But I wouldn't be shocked if nothing else happened either and I'm preparing myself for that eventuality. There's already been ~£60m spent and when was the last time United spent more than that in a summer?

I wouldn't be too thrilled if it ended like this, I think a CB is needed and really another CM should be a priority. But, you'd have to think LVG will be able to get more out of the squad than Moyes did and hopefully Herrera and Shaw will have a positive impact.

I'd be hoping to see more from the likes of Mata and Kagawa this year along with, dare I say it, Fellaini.

I'm fascinated to see what LVG does with Cleverly, if anything.

Can't stop believing that buried in there somewhere, is the young spitely kid who was full of energy and adventure with some neat interchanging play.

He was fairly shackled last season to his detriment and then became a scapegoat alongside Fellaini for poor form.

Someone like LVG might find what he is good at and build on it. Tbh it's something Ferguson didn't do either.

I don't know what he is brilliant at, apart from having bags of energy, and a great aptitude for pressing opposition players quickly. He's small but hes tough.

There is a lot more required from him, but I think he just needs a confident boost and some refinement, so we can see what he is good at.

Anderson is done as far as I'm concerned.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The shorts look like a knee-high skirt. The fcuk?

Having said that, Juan pulls the look off with ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think a CB at the very least will be signed and perhaps a couple of the Dutch lads will follow Van Gaal.

Vidal is a very very remote chance imo.

If LVG does love Srootman as much as everyone believes then its not unthinkable that we won't sign another midfielder until he's fit again.

Cleverley, Ando, Carrick, Fletch, Powell ect will be different under LVG and I'd expect he would at least look to have a look at them in person.

I still believe there's enough quality in the squad now that LB and CM have been partially addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mickeroo wrote: »

Honestly, the window is developing exactly how I hoped so far.

Chelsea have strengthened but were always going to. City haven't yet, but don't need to. They'll be two of the four.

Arsenal haven't yet, but if they get Sanchez, they should be there too. They always are.

Liverpool, to me, look to be weakening; at he risk of drawing ire, I feel they are overspending on a level of talent a tier below a team going into the CL should be after. Losing Suarez and replacing him with Lalana, Ogiri and Lazar isn't good business IMO.

Spurs haven't bought anyone yet or at least anyone of note. Everton the same.

We have addressed two major weak areas so far and replaced our tactically inept manager. Maybe biased but I feel we have made the best moves to challenge for top 4 outside the traditional trio who would also be there (Chelsea, Arsenal and City).

I would be expecting top 4 and hoping for a strong challenge to the other top spots.

Can't stop believing that buried in there somewhere, is the young spitely kid who was full of energy and adventure with some neat interchanging play.

He was fairly shackled last season to his detriment and then became a scapegoat alongside Fellaini for poor form.

Someone like LVG might find what he is good at and build on it. Tbh it's something Ferguson didn't do either.

I don't know what he is brilliant at, apart from having bags of energy, and a great aptitude for pressing opposition players quickly. He's small but hes tough.

I've always thought the abuse Cleverley gets is way too harsh. I'm convinced he's a better player than what we've seen and he has some great attributes. Playing in such a poor side last year can't have helped him and the abuse he got would destroy anyone's confidence.

That said, him being capable of better doesn't mean being capable of holding down a first team spot for United. I think it's pretty unlikely he'll ever be good enough for that, but I think he could ultimately make a grand squad option with the right management and some decent performances to improve his confidence.

Van Gaal's approach is a joy to behold after years of frustration.

He recognised midfield as a problem and has done something (Herrera). Plus he figured "who's the best?" and then targeted him (Vidal apparently).

Then we have the Hummels stories.

We are entering an exciting time in our history.

Very unlikely that Hummels will leave Dortmund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

To be honest, I'm being part tongue-in-cheek in that post and FutureGuying it a bit. But I wouldn't be shocked if nothing else happened either and I'm preparing myself for that eventuality. There's already been ~£60m spent and when was the last time United spent more than that in a summer?

I wouldn't be too thrilled if it ended like this, I think a CB is needed and really another CM should be a priority. But, you'd have to think LVG will be able to get more out of the squad than Moyes did and hopefully Herrera and Shaw will have a positive impact.

I'd be hoping to see more from the likes of Mata and Kagawa this year along with, dare I say it, Fellaini.

Ya but previous years, we were effectively just adding onto a title winning side or a side that was always close.

We arent just topping up the team, we need reinvestment so will need to spend more than usual, plus add on another 10 million on each transfer for our desperation tax we are looking at about 150 million.

Already on 60 and still need to bring in 2 players at least, one could be vidal for 50+ and 20+ on a Cb.

The club easily has the money to spend that once off, and then back to 60/70 odd for the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've always thought the abuse Cleverley gets is way too harsh. I'm convinced he's a better player than what we've seen and he has some great attributes. Playing in such a poor side last year can't have helped him and the abuse he got would destroy anyone's confidence.

That said, him being capable of better doesn't mean being capable of holding down a first team spot for United. I think it's pretty unlikely he'll ever be good enough for that, but I think he could ultimately make a grand squad option with the right management and some decent performances to improve his confidence.

He has a decent finish but all too often he just plays a safe pass sideways or to a static winger. With a bit of coaching, he could definitely improve though.

Personally, I would love Fellaini and Cleverley to prove all the doubters wrong but something tells me they'll be in a West Brom or Stoke shirt by next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Very unlikely that Hummels will leave Dortmund.

I think any player will leave Dortmund for the right price. They are a selling club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ah I wanted Tom to be great, sadly he simply isnt good enough. He lacks the toughness and concentration to be a midfielder in a top side. When up against a good side he looks out of his depth and the only reason hes still around is because hes English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'd be amazed if we didn't sign more players.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The shorts could be mistaken for a pleated skirt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

thelad95 wrote: »
    Personally, I would love Fellaini and Cleverley to prove all the doubters wrong but something tells me they'll be in a West Brom or Stoke shirt by next summer.

Right, I'm calling it now. Fellaini for the 2015 Ballon d'Or. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Alistair Ferguson just retweeted this...

Mike Keegan ‏@mikekeeganbbc 6m
    They don't do kit launches like they used to at Old Trafford

We used to have one of them stereos bottom right.

Br8jjnVCQAA7Wb8.png:large

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Alistair Ferguson just retweeted this...

Br8jjnVCQAA7Wb8.png:large

All the Sharp sh*te in front of them! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Garry Birtles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

I remember seeing Cleverley and Welbeck as they were starting to break into the first team and I thought the interplay and understanding between the two of them was really exciting. Unfortunately, so far, we haven't seen either player develop to what their potential was suggesting. I have some hopes that LVG can utilise them more effectively than Fergie or Moyes.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see LVG attempt to convert one of our no.10 players into a deeper position. Mata, Kagawa, Rooney would be the possibilities IMO. Of the 3 of them, I could see Kagawa eventually working well as the most forward player of a midfield 3.

As it stands, Januzaj is playing wide for us but IMO his natural position is also a no.10. It's a shame to waste a naturally 2 footed player out wide. Could we maybe see LVG playing Januzaj in a deeper more central role?

The man is unconventional to say the least so nothing would surprise me but I am seriously excited to see how we play next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It looks like they've stumbled on a load of stolen goods. About sixty miles up the road :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement