Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

beno619 wrote: »
    Well im not sure mow many times you've watched him on training, but he was basically fist choice last season. Smalling and Jones have never has settled runs in the side for numerous reasons.

Who was first choice last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bannerman7 wrote: »
    Lots of rumours about players coming in, not much word about anyone leaving.
    Will it be a case of LVG wanting to have a look at the squad before he decides who will go ?
    If that's the case he wont have much time to move anyone on when he gets back from the WC.

Somewhat agree. With CL not happening, no need for a monstrous squad. Should use this opportunity to cut some of the deadwood from the squad, and then take onboard new signings next summer to bolster the squad back up number wise.

Ashley Young is high on my list of " please leave". Valencia is there abouts aswell.

Willing to give Cleverly a shot under Van Gaal who might be able to mould something. Carrick might be having some squeeky bum time. Chico wouldn't suprise me if he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Daley Blind was mentioned before the world cup as a possible choice at left back and that increased when LVG took over , he's worked with him etc...I haven't seen much of him before the Spain game but he looks a good player tbh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I think he's talking about players being sold.

Yeah, I guess no-one's made any offers yet. I don't think we're in a position where we need to be selling players either, unless they expressly want to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess no-one's made any offers yet. I don't think we're in a position where we need to be selling players either, unless they expressly want to leave.

We will see 2-3 leave at most I'd say maybe Bebe, Young, and possibly Buttner if we get a LB and the usual few reserve/youths being sold for a couple of million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tbh Valencia deserves to be out the door much quicker then Young if last season is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I don't buy into this "Ah we should trust van Gaal with the potential signing of Vermaelan, he's been around a while" train of thought.
    I am entitled to my own opinion, and just because I'm not a world-class football manager type person, doesn't mean that my opinion should be belittled or discounted.

I don't see how Vermaelan is good enough. I will judge the summers transfer policy in it's entirety, and I fully expect a top class CB, amongst others, to be brought in.

What top class CB would you suggest as a 'non world-class football manager type person'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can't see Buttner going anywhere.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Daley Blind was mentioned before the world cup as a possible choice at left back and that increased when LVG took over , he's worked with him etc...I haven't seen much of him before the Spain game but he looks a good player tbh..

Good player but he's very slow. He should be an option as he's versatile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Would not be totally shocked if true, but Arsenal will become our feeder club soon if this continues ;)

He is left footed, which is quite important to LVG. Good option, if the plan is to properly develop Smalling and Jones I am actually ok with it tbh. Not excited or anything, but....

• Advertisement

I think we can definitely get two very good center backs from Smalling, Evans and Jones.

bangkok wrote: »
    up until Friday nobody here even heard of Daley Blind, 3 days later people want him signed :)

He was mentioned at the end of the season as a possibility, certainly when LVG emerged as the most likely manager he was definitely mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Are United waiting until Aug 31st again to do their transfer business?

We'll tell you the answer at some point in the 2 and a half months before that date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

Vermaelan has denied the story linking him with united........... wonder does it have any substance to it at all...... take it at this stage that until LVG or woodward make the announcement ..it's BS.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

bangkok wrote: »
    eh vidic, rio macheda left and giggs retired

I was talking present tense not past tense. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

so anyway onto tonights game everyone should get a good look at Carvalho and the new and improved Nani and of course the best player in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

secman wrote: »
    Vermaelan has denied the story linking him with united........... wonder does it have any substance to it at all...... take it at this stage that until LVG or woodward make the announcement ..it's BS.

Secman

It's all started from the Daily Telegraph I think, then Independent.ie ran with it (Which is ironic, since that would mean it's not 'independent' at all, but anyway) and now we're here.

Football Journalism is the easier gig in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

You'll get nothing but denials from Vermaelan's camp anyway as any confirmation will essentially be admitting to being tapped up.

• Advertisement

Just looking through the squad there are actually only two players who are guaranteed to play in the first XI for van Gaal next season; van Persie and De Gea.

Surely we have to sign an experienced center half, a left back and two central midfielders. Ideally I'd like a right back too but its not a priority.

Kagawa and Nani will likely get more game time under van Gaal too. I'm not sure about Mata's role under van Gaal. Maybe he will play him more central.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

ApGwn0M.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

and carvalho not starting for portugal:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

We know how LvG likes one of his centre backs to be left footed. All of our current CBs are right footed i think. Maybe that's why Vermaelen is a target, also he can play LB pretty well too. He'd be a good acquisition without spending too much of our supposed budget. Like others have said, defence isn't in as much need of an upgrade as midfield anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

We know how LvG likes one of his centre backs to be left footed. All of our current CBs are right footed i think. Maybe that's why Vermaelen is a target, also he can play LB pretty well too. He'd be a good acquisition without spending too much of our supposed budget. Like others have said, defence isn't in as much need of an upgrade as midfield anyway.

Vermaelan's agent just denied the deal apparently

Koeman has been confirmed as Saints manager, hopefully we'll get some Shaw movement soon.
    Vermaelan's agent just denied the deal apparently

He would, he'd have to for reasons already specified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

Ronald Koeman announced as southampton manager maybe we can buy shaw now?

You'll get nothing but denials from Vermaelan's camp anyway as any confirmation will essentially be admitting to being tapped up.

Not necessarily, clubs can give permission to talk to players before a fee has been agreed between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

kryogen wrote: »
    Not necessarily, clubs can give permission to talk to players before a fee has been agreed between them.

That's true, there's been very little indication that's case in any of the reports I've seen though.

That's true, there's been very little indication that's case in any of the reports I've seen though.

Haven't seen any of the reports, just heard he has agreed a deal in principle to join and a fee still needs to be agreed upon. Not much to go off on that tbh but it wouldn't suggest anything under handed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Vermaelen wouldn't be the worst signing in world. He can cover left back better than anyone else we have and I'm including Evra and Buttner in that. I can see exactly why LVG might be interested in him.

IMO, we shouldn't be spending massive money on new centre halves. I honestly think under the right coaching, the lads we have will do fine next season, especially if we have a solid midfield unit in front of that defense.

If we signed Vermaelen along with 2 quality centre midfielders, a LB and a versatile winger I would be over the moon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Evans is left footed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

That Portugal jersey would make a nice United jersey. Nike make some great ones for the international teams, the club ones are bland as anything.
    The Netherlands away is another nice one.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Evans is left footed.

He's right footed, he is normally deployed on the left side of the CB positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Evans is left footed.

I was convinced this was the case till Google told me otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Kroos with a corner and a bullet of a header from hummels....

Just sayin like !

Evans is left footed.

I thought so too but apparently not!

I checked transfermarkt and other sources.

Evans is right footed, but has been deployed at left back and his left foot is pretty good. Not natural however

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You can see why I wanted Muller so much, in regards to Pepe, he was intelligent while Pepe was stupid.
    Pity he signed a new contract....

RobertKK wrote: »
    You can see why I wanted Muller so much, in regards to Pepe, he was intelligent while Pepe was stupid.
    Pity he signed a new contract....

7 goals in 7 world cup games! class.

I see Phil Neville is getting a lot of stick for his co-commentary on the England Vs Italy game. The BBC got 445 individual complaints from viewers about his dour style.

He had a few decent points to make, but boy he was boring to listen to.

At least he's taking it on the chin.
    Philip NevilleVerified account ‏@fizzer18

1st live co-comm last night-sometimes u have to take the criticism - it will only make me better- thanks for the feedback(ahhahaha)!

• Advertisement

Bebe would have been better than that Eder chap :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

Just sayin like !

Only going to further inflate their prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Bebe would have been better than that Eder chap :pac:

Prob would have done better than Nani to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Hummel's injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If United revert to 4-3-3 could Mata play as one of the central 3?

Example

De Gea

Rafael
    Evans
    Hummels
    Shaw

Mata
    Schweinstegger
    Strootman

Rooney
    RVP
    Kagawa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Just sayin like !

Nah we're "not interested" in players like that. Have a gander at the Spurs bench there and see if anyone fancies a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

If United revert to 4-3-3 could Mata play as one of the central 3?

You take formations far too literal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

does anyone else think rooney will be dropped under van gaal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

does anyone else think rooney will be dropped under van gaal?

I think he will be told that he sees himself and rvp as out and out strikers , that only 1 will be played at a time and rvp is his first choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I think he will be told that he sees himself and rvp as out and out strikers , that only 1 will be played at a time and rvp is his first choice
    yep I agree and I cant see rooney playing second fiddle to rvp and the cam role would have to go to mata he is beast

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement