Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I'm sorry in advance for posting this.

Sir Alex Ferguson on BBC 5live: "The club is working on bringing a familiar face back to OT next season."

People assume that it's Ronaldo.

It's probably Gary Neville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I think we have enough of the class of 92 around. And reading quotes from Paul Scholes lately, doesn't make me want them hanging around too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

René Meulensteen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Does anybody truly believe Fergie would be giving little teasers like that to the BBC?

Trust nothing this time of year, join me on the cynical side, where your hopes shall never be raised therefore never be crushed. Join me and my indestructible hopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

zorro2566 wrote: »
    BrE1Y7QCQAIWBEd.jpg:large

A few Irish lads there!

Some hairdo on Paul McGrath up the back. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Alistair Ferguson just retweeted this...

Mike Keegan ‏@mikekeeganbbc 6m
    They don't do kit launches like they used to at Old Trafford

We used to have one of them stereos bottom right.

Br8jjnVCQAA7Wb8.png:large

This is my era. Someone put me out of my misery, who's the bloke in between Gibson and Albiston?

Thats the two lads front row right for you whipper snappers!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    This is my era. Someone put me out of my misery, who's the bloke in between Gibson and Albiston?

At first glance I thought Peter Barnes?

And Gidman, not Gibson I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

It's going around like wild fire. F*cking social media. Impossible to trace the origin!!
    Pretty easy actually

https://twitter.com/Keith_Russell/status/486225732025454592

https://twitter.com/Keith_Russell/status/486226370209386498

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Deiseboy01 wrote: »

Crap, it's Peter Bodak I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Reuters reporting that Nike are pulling the plug on the kit deal, which means Adidas are due to step in.

Yay! Better jerseys!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Corvo wrote: »
    Reuters reporting that Nike are pulling the plug on the kit deal, which means Adidas are due to step in.

Yay! Better jerseys!!

I'd rather more money for more players. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can we get more money and better kits, please.

Can we get more money and better kits, please.

I think the new kit is pretty nice, apart from the big badge. The chevy logo is pretty nice...it's growing on me.

The button isn't great either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

That kit launch picture from the 1980s makes you realise that they dont make managers with ron atkinsons sense of style anymore. Cream suit, jewellery, sunglasses and a year round tan, what a man!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Crap, it's Peter Bodak I think

Thats some call. I would never have got that, never even heard of him.

Toak, yes Gidman. My bad, its been 30 yrs tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm sorry in advance for posting this.

Sir Alex Ferguson on BBC 5live: "The club is working on bringing a familiar face back to OT next season."

Scholes is coming out of retirement :pac:

Oh, the cheeky chappy! Oh well, at least it was a brief moment of excitement on an otherwise mundane Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Never heard of Peter Bodak either... my time started 85

Looks like Liverpool are getting 75m pounds for Suarez. What are Barca thinking. They badly need a defender to replace Puyol and a midfielder to replace Xavi.

Transfer fees are gone crazy. I remember years ago when Abrahmovic first came to Chelsea...SkySports News broke a story that an English club had bid 35m pounds for Nesta. That was HUGE money back then. They said only two clubs could afford that at the time...Man Utd and Chelsea. How times have changed. How long before we see 100m pounds being broken?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Manchester United's Nike kit deal set to end as sportswear giant questions 'commercial sense'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-uniteds-nike-kit-deal-3825680#ixzz36oslFXFX
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd take 4th right now, with a big improvement in the way we play. It's so important that we get back in the CL after last season

Chelsea and City will be the front two, Arsenal if they add 1 or 2 with Sanchez and don't have their annual injury crises I'd have them level or just a bit behind. Liverpool losing Suarez is great for us and their additions so far aren't worrying at all for me.

Looks like Liverpool are getting 75m pounds for Suarez. What are Barca thinking. They badly need a defender to replace Puyol and a midfielder to replace Xavi.

Transfer fees are gone crazy. I remember years ago when Abrahmovic first came to Chelsea...SkySports News broke a story that an English club had bid 35m pounds for Nesta. That was HUGE money back then. They said only two clubs could afford that at the time...Man Utd and Chelsea. How times have changed. How long before we see 100m pounds being broken?

Insane money for a player who is one rash moment from getting a year long ban IMO. But I don't mind too much; it means Barca have blown their load on one player and aren't competing with us for signings like Carvalho, Vidal, etc.
    And Liverpool look to be squandering the money on very average players.

A waste of money all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I expected the team to be either challenging for the league or on the cusp of it next season.

Plenty of talent, proper manager, nice set of opening fixtures for the initial bedding in period and no Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Suraez and barca deserve each other....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Headshot wrote: »

The way things are going at Barca I agree with this, so proud of their academy, yet they need to spend obseen amounts on a player that has no business on a football pitch if he cannot assure the opposition of safety outside the normal paramaters of what happens within the game....

They are heading down the 'galactico' route with Suarez and last year Neymar... Not saying they have not splashed the cash before those 2 but they did brag about their academy so much, these 2 contradict & I'm not a fan of this new direction....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

So are those Fergie quotes fake then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

One of the best clubs in the world with one of the best players in the world? I agree.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Augmerson wrote: »
    One of the best clubs in the world with one of the best players in the world? I agree.

They won't have him or Neymar available for ages though!

So are those Fergie quotes fake then?

Fake. I fell for it and posted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God they are like blood hounds at this stage.

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »

Suarez will be available very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ye it's no surprise them and real always go after and get the current best player in the world as Utd spurs and now Liverpool have realised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

An File wrote: »

Well nobody saw that Neymar injury coming but there is bound to be an appeal once Suarez joins Barca. There won't be a complete reprieve but I think a reduction in the ban is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

The way things are going at Barca I agree with this, so proud of their academy, yet they need to spend obseen amounts on a player that has no business on a football pitch if he cannot assure the opposition of safety outside the normal paramaters of what happens within the game....

They are heading down the 'galactico' route with Suarez and last year Neymar... Not saying they have not splashed the cash before those 2 but they did brag about their academy so much, these 2 contradict & I'm not a fan of this new direction....

It's not just Barca though, look at us. Have a tradition of bringing youth through yet we are spending 27m on a 18 year old left back. No big club can really afford to bring the youth through consistently in the modern game when their rivals can just go and buy the superstars that make the team instantly better.

Most fans are impatient and wouldn't wait for the youth players to make the mistakes necessary to progress with big clubs. Clubs like Southampton & West Ham have no choice but to play the younger players plus their fans have less expectations than a United, Barca, Real etc fan would so they can get away with doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not saying Cleverley would ever be as good as Schweinsteiger, but people often forget that he was a complete laughing stock until Louis changed him from a winger to a CM and made him revamp his game about five or six years back.

Do you want to elaborate on this? Because my recollection is that Schweinsteiger was anything but a laughing stock when he played on the wing.

At 21 he was on the wing for the Germany team that reached the semi-finals of the world cup, when exactly was he this laughing stock?

RichFTW wrote: »
    It's not just Barca though, look at us. Have a tradition of bringing youth through yet we are spending 27m on a 18 year old left back. No big club can really afford to bring the youth through consistently in the modern game when their rivals can just go and buy the superstars that make the team instantly better.

Most fans are impatient and wouldn't wait for the youth players to make the mistakes necessary to progress with big clubs. Clubs like Southampton & West Ham have no choice but to play the younger players plus their fans have less expectations than a United, Barca, Real etc fan would so they can get away with doing it.

But three or four years from now shaw will be in his early 20s and his value might well have increased
    Suarez is 28 in a few months. Four years from now he will be 32 and will only fetch a mere fraction of what barca are paying for him.
    Is that Suarez fee confirmed? I find I that to believe any club would pay that much for him. The mind boggles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

On the Indo website it's saying that the fee is around £63 million. Still far too much for a liability such as him but meh, whadda ya gonna do, just glad I won't have to look at his mush next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

But three or four years from now shaw will be in his early 20s and his value might well have increased
    Suarez is 28 in a few months. Four years from now he will be 32 and will only fetch a mere fraction of what barca are paying for him.
    Is that Suarez fee confirmed? I find I that to believe any club would pay that much for him. The mind boggles

Oh I'm delighted Shaw signed and I think he will be well worth the money. But I think if he came through the United academy, he wouldn't have got the chance to play regularly for 2 seasons in the premier league and wouldn't be the player he is now. United wouldn't be able to afford him possibly making game losing mistakes so they just go out and buy someone at his stage of development.

Suarez is an unbelievable player and is going to be even better with quality players around him. Look at what he could do playing with a slightly above average Liverpool team. In four years, Barca will have won a load of trophies with Suarez and won't care what he is worth then.

The money is crazy though. Footballers already get paid way too much and clubs are paying stupid amounts as well. Where does it end.

just glad I won't have to look at his mush next season.

I don't think there has been a more annoying face in the history of faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I don't think there has been a more annoying face in the history of faces.

I dunno man.

steven%20gerrard__04436.jpg

This one always screamed young offenders home to me, like "Tinhead" off Brookside. Its the beady eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fake rumour site: Caught Offside (CO) on Saturday went with Ronaldo to United citing it is to pay for the transfers of James Rodriguez and Falcao to Real Madrid.
    They claim with Ronaldo being 30 years old next year, this is the best chance for Real Madrid to cash in Ronaldo for a high price. His age and injuries being a concern for RM.
    The story by CO goes that Falcao had to take a scenic route if he wanted to play for Real Madrid as Atletico wouldn't sell directly to their city rival. I think they said the two transfers would cost a combined £120m to £130 million, I forget the exact figure they gave, and the sale of Ronaldo would help finance this.

I will believe it when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Don't forget Villa cost €40mn, Zlatan cost something like €50m PLUS Eto'o, and they see the around a combined €25mn on Henrique and Kerrison. If you are wondering who those two attacking players are, well... so is everyone, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ye it's no surprise them and real always go after and get the current best player in the world as Utd spurs and now Liverpool have realised.
    That's the advantage of having private TV deals, I guess. I still don't agree with it, even though Man Utd would financially benefit more than any other team in the world from doing so, if they chose to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Corvo wrote: »

Yay! Better jerseys!!

I wouldnt be surprised if its Warrior and not Adidas :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

xtal191 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be surprised if its Warrior and not Adidas :mad:
    Jaysus dont even say that ugh lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

@JanAageFjortoft

Local paper,„Wolfsburger Allgemeine“, is reporting that Man UTD have made a bid for 21 year old Swiss left-back, Ricardo Rodriguez

Quality player, Evra replacement?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ricardo Rodriguez!? :eek:

ricardo_rodriguez_bio_20130628.png

:pac:

ShaneU wrote: »
    @JanAageFjortoft

Local paper,„Wolfsburger Allgemeine“, is reporting that Man UTD have made a bid for 21 year old Swiss left-back, Ricardo Rodriguez

Quality player, Evra replacement?

Just spent the guts of 30m on an Evra replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Shaw was a Buttner replacement ;)

Need two left backs though

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    Need two left backs though

Can't see Evra going anywhere TBH.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement