Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Just thought I'd throw my view of the whole Cleverly situation.

I think although he had a poor season not many of the lads at United can put their hands up and say they had a good year. The media abuse he got was over the top in my view.

The lad is still 24, not extremely young but has the bulk of his career left. Last year when we won the title people were saying Cleverly was a future England star and possible regular for the national team. I never thought he played outstanding but he showed capability and the media built up his hype.

Then he had a poor year and was used as a scapegoat for many poor results.

At the moment he isn't the finished product but I believe he will use the backlash he received this season to fire himself up. I truly believe he has the talent to be a very good midfielder. Hopefully if he isn't part of the plans he is just loaned out this season and not sold.

Just my opinion and I know many others would rather we sell him, but we'll just have to wait and see now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I doubt its real..looks nice though

mrb8qJ4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Adamocovic wrote: »

I think although he had a poor season not many of the lads at United can put their hands up and say they had a good year. The media abuse he got was over the top in my view.

The lad is still 24, not extremely young but has the bulk of his career left. Last year when we won the title people were saying Cleverly was a future England star and possible regular for the national team. I never thought he played outstanding but he showed capability and the media built up his hype.

At the moment he isn't the finished product but I believe he will use the backlash he received this season to fire himself up. I truly believe he has the talent to be a very good midfielder. Hopefully if he isn't part of the plans he is just loaned out this season and not sold.

Just my opinion and I know many others would rather we sell him, but we'll just have to wait and see now.

My opinion on Cleverley in the team last season:

bpNbkst.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ricardo Rodriguez can also play left midfield according to http://www.transfermarkt.com/ricardo-rodriguez/profil/spieler/86784

Interesting is he has dual nationality, Swiss and Spanish, get Vidal and we could have an all Spanish speaking midfield...presuming a 4-3-3 formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Albert Stuivenberg brought in as Assistant to VG. Spent a lot of time with Feyenoord youth system and Holland too. Rumours saying his priority in the position will be to try help the young lads moving in to the first team adapt.

No aul call back for poor Phil so, also speculation though that Phil and Woodward are to hold talks to see what the story is with him. I reckon he'll be asked to help with the Youth Academy in some way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That jersey doesn't look too bad. The last jersey I bought was the one similar to it a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

I doubt its real..looks nice though

mrb8qJ4.jpg

Van Gaal turning us orange now aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Van Gaal turning us orange now aswell?

It's the orange special edition for when we win the World Cup on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

It's the orange special edition for when we win the World Cup on Sunday
    If lvg guides holland to cup the thread is gonna derail lol not gonna happen though well highly unlikely seeingwho is in their way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

If Van Gaal wins the World Cup hopefully it won't turn out like the last wold cup winning manager who managed an English team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Guardian reporting a 7.9m fee for Debuchy to Arsenal. Why so cheap, seems way under priced. I like him too, would be good competition for Raff.

Sport Witness are reporting Vidal's agent is meeting with Juventus today to discuss the transfer of Vidal to United,
    They say Juve have been saying they won't sell but this is part of getting the best price for the player.
    Things might start moving again on this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

That orange shirt is the red jersey changed a little bit.

10487610_806557636045859_2283095213709653507_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

ShaneU wrote: »
    Shaw was a Buttner replacement ;)

Need two left backs though

Did Evra not just sign an extension last month? I know contracts mean nothing, but he could of left on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Did Evra not just sign an extension last month? I know contracts mean nothing, but he could of left on a free.

There was an extention clause in his contract that could be triggered after playing a certain number of games last season; seemingly United activated the extension clause, so an extra year was added to the original contact - a new deal was not agreed.

If Evra left, I can't see the logic behind signing Rodrigues - who we are rumoured to have bid for. Will cost a fair chunk and will go into direct competition with Shaw. Now, competition for places is good, but 50million on two left backs would be insane! I would have thought Blind a better target in this respect. Likely cheaper and can play LB, CB and CM. A very good cover option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Apparently LvG has the team training at half five.
    Louis van Gaal may be thousands of miles away in Brazil, but the Dutchman’s uncompromising approach is already being felt at Manchester United after the players were ordered to take part in an evening session on their second day of pre-season training.

While Van Gaal was preparing for Holland’s World Cup semi-final against Argentina in Sao Paulo tomorrow, the United squad have been given the choice between going home to rest for three hours after training on Tuesday afternoon or sleeping at Carrington before being put through a second workout starting at 5.30pm.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2683903/Louis-van-Gaal-orders-evening-training-Manchester-United-stars-second-day-pre-season.html#ixzz36rY0QowE
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Rodriguez would be cover for Shaw, but I think if he is signed, he could play in a midfield three - very good defensively combined with very good in attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Rodriguez could be the new john oshea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

To be honest from what i have seen from Rodriguez he is better than Shaw at this time and would have been a good signing. Maybe LVG see's Shaw as a Bale type who will excel on the wing if so than Rodriguez would be a very good signing. But for the fee he would cost it would make no sense to sign him as competition for Shaw.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    To be honest from what i have seen from Rodriguez he is better than Shaw at this time and would have been a good signing. Maybe LVG see's Shaw as a Bale type who will excel on the wing if so than Rodriguez would be a very good signing. But for the fee he would cost it would make no sense to sign him as competition for Shaw.

Just because Bale came from Southampton and he was originally a LB, and Shaw is coming from Southampton and plays LB, does not mean Shaw is like Bale in any way other those reasons.

Shaw is Left Back and there is no reason to think hes a left winger

In fairness to United/LVG - I have Shaw and Rodrigues as my left back options in football manager and it is working out well for me. Game on game off for the most part. Vidal and Strootman are also kicking ass as my midfield partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

sale-0003.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Just because Bale came from Southampton and he was originally a LB, and Shaw is coming from Southampton and plays LB, does not mean Shaw is like Bale in any way other those reasons.

Actually from the few times I've seen him play its hard not to make Bale comparisons he is very good at getting into forward positions and beating players with pure pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I never said he is like Bale i said it would only make sense signing Rodriguez if LVG wanted to turn Shaw into a left winger.

Also it has nothing to do with being from Southampton. Shaw is similar to Bale as in a young full back who is very good going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

His best football was in the early stages of the 2011 season and I'd go as far as to say he was playing outstanding football, back then no one would have entertained any discussion of selling him. Since Davies hacked him down in that Bolton game, he hasn't been quite the same player since. It was terrible timing for him to get injured as he was really building momentum.

Granted we were badly exposed at the back with him and Ando in the middle of the park, it didn't really matter because the team was playing some cracking attacking football.

The boy can play, I've no doubt in my mind and I don't want to see him sold, at least not yet. I want to see what LVG can do with him first. I suspect it's just a lack of confidence more than anything.

With a little hope, being completely ignored for the World Cup should give some lads a much needed kick up the backside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

zorro2566 wrote: »
    thats+not+ice+thats+the+day+no+fap+november+ended+_72cad7ce941ca4e3074b62c83ff6940f.jpg

Hi guys,

I'm not really up to speed with betting but I've noticed that Vidal's odds to Utd have been gradually shortening over the last few days on oddchecker.

Could mean nothing or...

It means nothing.

The odds fall as more people put money on the player to sign. But reducing the odds, the bookmaker has less chance of losing money as they start giving out less money to winners due to the lower odds.

Punters throw money on a player moving to X or Y based on rumours they read in the paper or on twitter.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    It means nothing.

The odds fall as more people put money on the player to sign. But reducing the odds, the bookmaker has less chance of losing money as they start giving out less money to winners due to the lower odds.

Punters throw money on a player moving to X or Y based on rumours they read in the paper or on twitter.

Pity. The corresponding odds on him staying put and moving to other clubs have drifted slightly. All connected I guess. Thanks though.

I can be an indication of something happening- like SAF's retirement or Moyes' sacking, but generally if it's been reported as a rumour for a while, odds varying slighty means nothing.

It's more unsual, for example, to see Eden hazard suddenly drop to sign with United after 0 rumours in the paper or on twitter, which would be worth looking at in my opinion.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I can be an indication of something happening- like SAF's retirement or Moyes' sacking, but generally if it's been reported as a rumour for a while, odds varying slighty means nothing.

It's more unsual, for example, to see Eden hazard suddenly drop to sign with United after 0 rumours in the paper or on twitter, which would be worth looking at in my opinion.

Now I know why I avoid twitter; my head would be wrecked from all the what ifs and guess who's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Any bet of any significance placed in these markets, will affect the odds. I guarantee, you walk in to Paddy Power and try to have 500 quid on Vidal signing for United, and the odds will be slashed and they'll offer you €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Betting markets with tiny limits, e.g. transfers, have no predictive power whatsoever. You would be as well to kill a chicken and have a look at its entrails for information about Vidal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Anything on what will be on the inside of the Utd badge this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Seen on reddit.
    A Nike spokeswoman said talks were ongoing, however, telling Press Association Sport in an email: "Manchester United are a great club and we remain in discussions with them.''

http://www.espnfc.com/league-name/story/1938930/headline

Hopefully more money to be had from all involved. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

jameshayes wrote: »

"Frosties. They're great!"

Anothr £10m in the bank thanks to Ed.

Are you telling me there's something written inside my jersey from 13/14? :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

user2011 wrote: »
    Seen on reddit.

http://www.espnfc.com/league-name/story/1938930/headline

Hopefully more money to be had from all involved. :)

We're going to get a megadeal from one of them. If Nike do decide to opt out, I really hope Adidas come on board. The thought of Warrior designing our kit is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Wonder if Germany get knocked out tonight if anything progresses with the Hummel rumours? Or if they are just finally put to bed. Think he would be an outstanding signing.

Personally I became frustrated over the last few seasons at how many games between them Vidic and Rio missed. Twould be great to have a settled defence again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Id like to see Puma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Wonder if Germany get knocked out tonight if anything progresses with the Hummel rumours? Or if they are just finally put to bed. Think he would be an outstanding signing.

If any team loses in the semis, they won't be coming home till the day before the final anyway as there is the third place play off to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We're going to get a megadeal from one of them. If Nike do decide to opt out, I really hope Adidas come on board. The thought of Warrior designing our kit is horrific.

My first thought when I seen the Liverpool third was :mad: they could do the same if they get it.

No doubt the Glazers will string them up for every last cent they can get which makes me think Warrior will be a bit behind were the Glazers want.

I'm up for Adidas to get it myself 10 years of Nike it was a good run, time for a change.

according to this: http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Jul/New-United-home-kit-press-release.aspx

The message 'Youth, Courage, Greatness' is printed on a label inside the jersey; but there is nothing mentioned about the crest.

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Id like to see Puma

Same here, love their stuff.

Have a pair of Puma runners I love, old now and cant buy them anymore, sad times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Id like to see Puma

for the larger gentleman, Puma are the ****ing bain of football jerseys.

Up there with the Roma Kappa jersey of years gone by, ****ing horrendous unless your a skeleton or ripped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

TheDoc wrote: »

Up there with the Roma Kappa jersey of years gone by, ****ing horrendous unless your a skeleton or ripped

you dont even need to be fat for them to fit badly. if your broad shouldered theyre terrible

Id take warrior before Puma and i ****ing hate warrior

TheDoc wrote: »

Thats me sorted ... Now to check into a gym on FB cause all my friends are dying to know when I work out

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement