Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

personal preference, and i'd actually hope a new CB comes in to take one of the spots regardless.

He's better than both, and much better than Smalling imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

De Gea
    Rafael--Smalling--Jones--Shaw
    XXXXXX
    Herrera
    Mata
    ---Rooney--RVP--Di Maria.

With Di Maria being given a floating role, similar to what he did for Mardrid on occassion last season. Not sure about the midfield though, I do know Herrera gets stuck in, but a midfield of him, Mata and even Vidal or De Jong could potentially be too open. Mata would need to get stuck in to the midfield battle too.

That's what I'd be worried about. I think if Di Maria comes in, we could see one of our bigger name players essentially frozen out. I don't know a whole lot about LVG admittedly, but I slightly worry for Juan Mata :(

Hummels, Vidal and Di Maria.

Feels like I'm playing Football Manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,338 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He's better than both, and much better than Smalling imo.
    Fine, it is hardly important to the current discussion.

FWIW, I believe both Jones and Smalling would/will surpass Evans if they are actually given a run at centre back.

glued wrote: »
    Di Maria's best position is as part of a midfield 3.
    He's done pretty fecking well for the rest of his career as a more traditional wide player, with the move central really only happening since Bale signed for Madrid, so I don't think it an issue.

dulux99 wrote: »
    That's what I'd be worried about. I think if Di Maria comes in, we could see one of our bigger name players essentially frozen out. I don't know a whole lot about LVG admittedly, but I slightly worry for Juan Mata :(

If we look to play 433, as in the formation I guess at, Mata could be in trouble regardless of Di Maria coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I've posted this formation before but I've updated now to see how I'd fit in Di Maria. Seems the best option to fit everyone in (and Rooney in his preferred position) if the dream happened and Vidal and Di Maria were signed.

dg2ck5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

De Gea
    Rafael--Smalling--Jones--Shaw
    XXXXXX
    Herrera
    Mata
    ---Rooney--RVP--Di Maria.

Again, Rooney is the one that doesn't fit.

I've posted this formation before but I've updated now to see how I'd fit in Di Maria. Seems the best option to fit everyone in (and Rooney in his preferred position) if the dream happened and Vidal and Di Maria were signed.

http://i60.tinypic.com/dg2ck5.jpg

Not a fan, no balance to that formation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

dg2ck5.jpg

Realistically, any decent team we come up against will beat us with that. No balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I'd say we could stick with the Diamond midfield formation

De Gea
    Rafael---Smalling---Jones---Shaw
    Carrick
    (or whichever defensive midfielder we sign)
    Herrera
    Di Maria/Vidal
    Mata

Rooney---RVP

That formation could easily be adapted to 3-5-2 to allow the full backs to double as wingers, with the defensive midfielder basicall acting like a 3rd centre half while Rafael/Shaw push forward.
    It also could be adapted to a 4-5-1 with Mata/Rooney covering the wings while RVP is the lone striker, but personally I think Mata would be wasted out wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Beautiful morning.

And may I wish the Orangemen all the best this week.

Again, Rooney is the one that doesn't fit.
    Indeed - I'd sell Rooney, but I do feel even LVG is going to shoehorn him into the side somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

He's done pretty fecking well for the rest of his career as a more traditional wide player, with the move central really only happening since Bale signed for Madrid, so I don't think it an issue.

Yep but only at Real Madrid did he first begin to play out wide. He started in a midfield three for Benfica.

He's a fine player and we really should go after him if he's available

Yep but only at Real Madrid did he first begin to play out wide. He started in a midfield three for Benfica.

He's a fine player and we really should go after him if he's available

You sure? My memory of him at the time he trasfered to Madrid was that he was an exciting winger.

A quick google now indicates he played on the wing for Benfica, and was described as a winger when Madrid signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Strong indication that Bayern and MAdrid are close to an agreement for Kroos. €25m the rumoured fee and the deal will be announced once the WC finishes and Kroos signs off.

Will be seriously annoyed if that comes to pass, €25m for him is outragously good business, and seriously bad business on our part if we were in with a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

OUt of interest did Januzaj get any WC playtime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

We probably were in for him and he probably chose real over us. Same goes with fabergas. This is the aftermath of last season. Can't blame him either moving to the European champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

TheDoc wrote: »

I think he played the third group match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Started last group game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Played an Hour against Korea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

You sure? My memory of him at the time he trasfered to Madrid was that he was an exciting winger.

A quick google now indicates he played on the wing for Benfica, and was described as a winger when Madrid signed him.

No he was in a midfield three with Ramires and Javi Garcia and they were fantastic together.

People called him a winger because he attacked so much but it's a lazy analysis of his play. For Madrid he often did actually play as a winger but even his best performances for Madrid have come as part of a midfield three.

Looks like Januzaj and Kagawa are the names getting marginalised from that formation.

dg2ck5.jpg

That lineup gives me a stirring in me pants,just to see those names! Never mind if the formation would actually work! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I did a quick mock-up of how I think our kits would look if we go with Adidas or Warrior.

n4HLoEZ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

That's brilliant Mikey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

.CO.UK?

YOU'VE CHANGED MIKEY, YOU'VE CHANGED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I'm tweeting that out ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I did a quick mock-up of how I think our kits would look if we go with Adidas or Warrior.

n4HLoEZ.jpg

That Adidas one actually looks class.

This certainly would be Ed's most best received sponsorship deal ever if it does turn out to be Adidas. I'd actually consider buying a United jersey again, if they work their magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

NeVeR wrote: »
    World Cup Sweeps Update

I think this is right :D.. but please correct it if it's wrong.

Most yellow cards in group stages €20 - Honduras -- LostBoy101
    1st Red Card €20 - Uruguay -- Gadge
    1st OG €20 - Croatia -- ninja900
    1st Peno €20 - Brazil -- markc1184
    Worst goal difference in group stages. €20 - Cameroon -- bennyl10

Guys can a few of you who participated in the sweep review this and let me know if it's correct.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Sky Sports News running with the Evra to Juventus offer on the yellow ticker now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I can understand the excitement of bring in new players, especially after the car crash of last season, however, I think it's equally as important to thin the squad of the deadwood, for a couple of reasons.

Lower the overall wages, prevent younger talent coming through not getting a chance to realise their potential.

If we're talking fringe players, we have;

Anderson
    Faillaini
    Valencia
    Zaha
    Hernandez
    Wilson
    Fletcher
    Nani
    Janujaz
    Henriquez
    Keane (both)
    Varela
    Lawrence
    Pereira
    Powell

Probably forgotten a few and I know I've mentioned a couple of the younger lads but some will turn 21 this year and really need to be kicking on.

I think we have a player who is potentially better than Di Maria in Januzaj for example, signing him could significantly stunt his chances of success at utd IMO.

I just feel that while it's always nice to be linked with world class attacking players like Sanchez, and Di Maria, in positions I think the club is already stacked, we should really be going for a world class CB (Hummels) and midfielder (Vidal), in the 2 positions of glaring weakness.

Summer business concluded with the signings of Shaw, Herrera, Hummels, and Vidal, with the addition of a world class Coach in LVG and a rejuvenated RVP would be absolutely fantastic business.

This post was probably typo-tactic as I'm on the phone :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If it came down to Vidal or Di Maria it has to be Vidal, unless we want to partner Ander with Carrick/Fellaini

Both would be out of this world, two world class players in positions we need. We still would need a CB though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

MagicIRL wrote: »
    .CO.UK?

YOU'VE CHANGED MIKEY, YOU'VE CHANGED.

I'm on both, just need to get some visibility on the UK site.

Fenix wrote: »
    I can understand the excitement of bring in new players, especially after the car crash of last season, however, I think it's equally as important to thin the squad of the deadwood, for a couple of reasons.

Lower the overall wages, prevent younger talent coming through not getting a chance to realise their potential.

If we're talking fringe players, we have;

Anderson
    Faillaini
    Valencia
    Zaha
    Hernandez
    Wilson
    Fletcher
    Nani
    Janujaz
    Henriquez
    Keane (both)
    Varela
    Lawrence
    Pereira
    Powell

Probably forgotten a few and I know I've mentioned a couple of the younger lads but some will turn 21 this year and really need to be kicking on.

I think we have a player who is potentially better than Di Maria in Januzaj for example, signing him could significantly stunt his chances of success at utd IMO.

I just feel that while it's always nice to be linked with world class attacking players like Sanchez, and Di Maria, in positions I think the club is already stacked, we should really be going for a world class CB (Hummels) and midfielder (Vidal), in the 2 positions of glaring weakness.

Summer business concluded with the signings of Shaw, Herrera, Hummels, and Vidal, with the addition of a world class Coach in LVG and a rejuvenated RVP would be absolutely fantastic business.

This post was probably typo-tactic as I'm on the phone :S

From that list I can see a good few going.

Anderson - Practically out the door just a matter of finding a buyer.
    Fellaini - Future in doubt, apparently not rated by LVG, his best position filled by better players

Valencia - Signed a new contract, likely not going anywhere
    Zaha - Probably getting culled.
    Hernandez - Wants to leave for first team football
    Wilson - Young and promising
    Fletcher - Can't see him getting the boot, despite not being able to offer a season of uninterrupted football.
    Nani - Future in doubt, forever linked with Juve
    Janujaz - Staying and promising

The rest are all young so will likely be loaned out..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

From that list I can see a good few going.

Anderson - Practically out the door just a matter of finding a buyer.
    Fellaini - Future in doubt, apparently not rated by LVG, his best position filled by better players

Valencia - Signed a new contract, likely not going anywhere
    Zaha - Probably getting culled.
    Hernandez - Wants to leave for first team football
    Wilson - Young and promising
    Fletcher - Can't see him getting the boot, despite not being able to offer a season of uninterrupted football.
    Nani - Future in doubt, forever linked with Juve
    Janujaz - Staying and promising

The rest are all young so will likely be loaned out..

I do feel SAF was getting a bit sentamental as he went on...Van Gaal will clear alot of those players out once he assesses then and finds them not up to standard. My guy says it'll happen at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

FutureGuy wrote: »
    My guy says it'll happen at Christmas.

Don't turn into bangkok, don't turn ito bangkok...

Bangkok is his guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MUFC have a strong interest in Hummels, Di Maria and Vidal. M.Hummels is a prime target. (@AndyMitten) #MUFC

SWEEEEETTTT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Andy Mitten on his latest playup update says United are definitely talked to both Juve and Dortmund for Vidal and Hummels......

zerks beat me by a minute!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I am not starting a big debate here but i think LVG might like a go at turning around Anderson's career. He had so much potential when younger and LVG maybe able to get him sort his lifestyle around. Personally i have giving him too many chances and he deserves to go but maybe LVG will try to get him to sort himself out.

What lvg will do with Anderson when he sees him

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

No he was in a midfield three with Ramires and Javi Garcia and they were fantastic together.

People called him a winger because he attacked so much but it's a lazy analysis of his play. For Madrid he often did actually play as a winger but even his best performances for Madrid have come as part of a midfield three.

Di Maria played as a winger for Benfica.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I want to believe we will sign them but after last season I still worry, I know we got shaw and Herrera but i still worry

If the interest in Di Maria is genuine, then it really has to mean Nani and Young are looking at the exit door.

Personally I'd prefer to go all out for Vidal and Hummels this summer, and then turn our attentions to Rues next summer, just in time for the all German Adidas kit reveal! Think he's a better player than Di Maria anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Last night after Hummels went off it showed the difference he makes. I would love Vidal but i would probably take Hummels over anybody right now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Haha. I just don't think LVG will sell anyone he hasn't been able to take a good look at. The US tour will give a decent indication of who's who but he'll cerrtainly give a few of those names a few months before making a decision.

Who's to say he can't work wonders on the likes of Ando or Cleverly. He's certainly the type of manager that likes to improve players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Fenix wrote: »
    If the interest in Di Maria is genuine, then it really has to mean Nani and Young are looking at the exit door.

Personally I'd prefer to go all out for Vidal and Hummels this summer, and then turn our attentions to Rues next summer, just in time for the all German Adidas kit reveal! Think he's a better player than Di Maria anyway!

Is it next summer will be our (assumed) Addidas kit?

Personally overall I think they make better kits

Yep, this is the last season with Nike.

Wonder if Beckham will be a part of any United/adidas reveal, I suspect he will be.

• Advertisement

Yea this is Nikes final year and they are definitely not renewing the deal, so whoever it is, it won't be Nike from 2015-16 on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement