Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I wonder if di Maria would be a replacement for Rooney, who would be sold.

Keep Hernandez and we have Wilson. Vidal is a goalscorer as is Mata and di Maria too who is an assist wizard.

De Gea
    Rafael---Hummels--Evans---Shaw
    Defensive midfielder

Vidal
    Herrera---
    ----di Maria
    Mata

RVP

Vidal and Herrera would be the work horses. Yes, lots of assumptions in the line up and formation which would be a 4-3-3, just a bit more fluid.

Rooney doesn't fit in unless the formation is a 4-3-1-2. Of course mt team and formation makes a lot of assumptions. There would be a lot of movement wit

Kroos was not wanted by LVG as Herrera more suited according to http://www.squawka.com/news/trust-van-gaal-why-man-united-were-right-to-sign-ander-herrera-instead-of-bayerns-toni-kroos/134210

Looking forward to the tour and seeing Herrera play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Don't turn into bangkok, don't turn ito bangkok...
    Bangkok is his guy

Oh sh!t sorry, I meant "gut" not "guy".

Epic spelling error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

One of Vidal, Di Maria and Hummels would be fantastic

Can you imagine if we signed all 3 with no CL football

2365388-4179374941-10_fu.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Oh sh!t sorry, I meant "gut" not "guy".

Epic spelling error.

Phew thank god for that
    you'd me worried

please tell us all these players we're not signing again............ ;)
    you said kroos, vidal, di maria and hummels didn't ye???

and who's our guy that was flying the day we signed herrera and shaw, he was due to fly today, is he up in the air??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Toni Kroos was immense last night, and for only 25 million... That's peanuts for quality like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,482 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

From reading shirt sale numbers, losing United is a massive blow to Nikes market share.

AC Milan adidas 350k
    Inter Milan Nike 425k
    Juventus Nike 480k
    Arsenal Nike (going to Puma) 800k
    Liverpool Warrior 810k
    Bayern Munich adidas 880k
    Chelsea adidas 910k
    Barcelona Nike 1150k
    R.Madrid adidas 1400k
    Man United Nike (going to adidas) 1400k

So, between losing Arsenal and United this summer and next summer they are losing 2.2million jersey sales, which is more than the total of their remaining share of the top 10. A big loss. Adidas will have (just going on the top 10) near 5million sales in comparison to Nikes 2.05million.

Obviously Nike could use the money saved to go after some other teams. Liverpool's deal is new enough, Arsenal just moved from them to Puma, not a hope in hell they could get Bayern. Real Madrid and Chelsea the two targets, though I think Madrids deal runs to 2020, no idea about Chelseas deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Toni Kroos was immense last night, and for only 25 million... That's peanuts for quality like that
    He's worth more than Vidal, yet we'll pay 60 plus presumably for him. Different circumstances and the fact that we need a player like Vidal more in our team are big counters, but it's still madness.

He's worth more than Vidal, yet we'll pay 60 plus presumably for him. Different circumstances and the fact that we need a player like Vidal more in our team are big counters, but it's still madness.
    He'll cost less than Herrera, mind boggling we have seemingly picked Herrara over him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Obviously Nike could use the money saved to go after some other teams. Liverpool's deal is new enough, Arsenal just moved from them to Puma, not a hope in hell they could get Bayern. Real Madrid and Chelsea the two targets, though I think Madrids deal runs to 2020, no idea about Chelseas deal.

Chelseas deal runs to 2023

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Beautiful morning.

And may I wish the Orangemen all the best this week.

Its not the twelfth yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

He's not worth more than Vidal. Kroos has one year left on his contract, that's why he's so cheap. Vidal's contract runs until 2017, that's why he'll cost a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

He'll cost less than Herrera, mind boggling we have seemingly picked Herrara over him.

In the Iron Tulip we believe
    All hail the czar of Aalkmaar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Kroos prob never wanted to go to Utd anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Would be absolutely stocked to see Hummels in our defence. Really, REALLY like him, and his newly refined hair and moustache.

Hummels, Vidal, Di MAria, Shaw, Herrera would represent the biggest influx of talent in one summer that my relatively young 26 year old memory can recall.

surely it couldn't....SURELY....SCHURLLE!

Louis van Gaal wants a squad of 20 players he can trust. There will be departures. (@AndyMitten) #MUFC

The axe shall be wielded!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

I could be wrong but could the Nike pullout be related to the fact that they are the provider of the NFL gear and that cost a small fortune in 2012? And thats only going to increase from the 1.1 billion current deal?

Just an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Unless a player is a huge fan then when Madrid or Barca come calling they will chose them over United.

xtal191 wrote: »

It's the only explanation at this stage.

He is far superior to Vidal and Herrera, albeit slightly different, you simply wouldn't pass up on him for that price, actually, any price.

He is easily operating as one of the best midfielders in the world, the scary thing "easily". He's not even explosive or eye catching, but he is noticably controlling more and more games as he is getting older.

Scary that his peak years are arguably ahead of him.

Must just be he wants to go to Madrid, because I'm sure if we were interested we would have offered a significant signing on fee. In a case like this, probably similar to RVP, I'd imagine there was a cool couple of million provided as a singing on bonus.

Their is a serious amount of deadwood and with no Europe it is the perfect time to shift some of it. Clear off the deadwood and give some youngsters more games and build back the squad next season for the Champions League.

I'm actually stupidly excited, aside form the fact Germany have always been my tournament team and I was euphoric last night, coupled with Kroos being amazing, and me and the Da landing a fortune with Klose becoming all time goalscorer, all this transfer talk and players exiting just has me excited.

For anyone wanting laughs btw, MUFC twitter wished a happy birthday to Young, shockingly 29 today, and the comments are to be expected.
    Can we please refrain from giving him a cake so he can **** off elsewhere?

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »

He is far superior to Vidal and Herrera, albeit slightly different, you simply wouldn't pass up on him for that price, actually, any price.

He is easily operating as one of the best midfielders in the world, the scary thing "easily". He's not even explosive or eye catching, but he is noticably controlling more and more games as he is getting older.

Must just be he wants to go to Madrid, because I'm sure if we were interested we would have offered a significant signing on fee. In a case like this, probably similar to RVP, I'd imagine there was a cool couple of million provided as a singing on bonus.

If you think Kroos is far superior to Vidal you have not seen Vidal play. He may be operating as one of the best midfielders in the world but Vidal is the best and it's not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I reckon we would of had a good chance had United CL football to offer.

He is off to Madrid to win trophies in domestic and in Europe.

Can't blame him for that.

That's why I never bought this cooling off business in the way media portrayed.

It was a case of we can't offer CL football so hard luck and onto next option.

I love Kroos as much as any non United player but if we get Vidal it will make up for 80% of the disappointment.

He is far superior to Vidal

Nope. It's like comparing Keane to Scholes. Totally different.

Vidal has everything in his locker. Kroos doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

I reckon we would of had a good chance had United CL football to offer.

He is off to Madrid to win trophies in domestic and in Europe.

Can't blame him for that.

That's why I never bought this cooling off business in the way media portrayed.

It was a case of we can't offer CL football so hard luck and onto next option.

I love Kroos as much as any non United player but if we get Vidal it will make up for 80% of the disappointment.

LVG apparantly didnt want the deal to happen, he has worked with Kroos in the past and there could be lingering issues there, I would think thats the main reason for pulling the plug, wouldnt read into it too much

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

xtal191 wrote: »

His brother Felix said they talked about Manchester United.

"Yes, we have already spoken about it as Manchester United is my favourite club since I was a child," he explained to Sky Deutschland
    "Still I will not advise him (Toni Kroos) about anything in this respect.
    "He is very capable of making the decision on his own.
    "And there are definitely worse situations than to decide whether to stay on or leave a club like Bayern Munich."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9196845/transfer-news-felix-kroos-says-his-brother-toni-has-talked-about-man-united

Felix Kroos has good taste, it would be interesting if it was like Herrera and United had the deal basically done with Kroos ages ago and we get a surprise.
    There has been conflicting reports about Kroos - one is LVG didn't want him, the other is LVG contacted him in a bid to sign him.
    Though I think it will be Madrid but then Spanish papers are not the most reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think Vidal would be a better option for what United need right but there isn't a lot Kroos doesn't have in his locker.

Johner wrote: »
    I think Vidal would be a better option for what United need right but there isn't a lot Kroos doesn't have in his locker.

there are criticisms of his defensive contribution, tackling and positioning. Brilliant with the ball, not so hot without it. Not big issues for me (he does enough imo) but I have seen that criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Johner wrote: »

He doesn't have many tattoo's and a fancy haircut like Vidal.

If we signed Vidal, Carvalho, and a decent CB I'd get an erection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The axe shall be wielded!

Good, smaller numbers with higher quality is what's needed. Also leaves room for players like Wilson to develop at United.

Getting fees in and wages off the books should help with recruiting quality this and in future summers.

(if true,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

there are criticisms of his defensive contribution, tackling and positioning. Brilliant with the ball, not so hot without it. Not big issues for me (he does enough imo) but I have seen that criticism.

That's why I think Van Gaal would prefer Vidal over Kroos, I do think Kroos is good at getting back, tackling etc and is a very complete midfielder but Vidal definitely has the edge on him in the defensive side of the game. I think Vidal is just exactly what United need right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

joe316 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but could the Nike pullout be related to the fact that they are the provider of the NFL gear and that cost a small fortune in 2012? And thats only going to increase from the 1.1 billion current deal?

Just an opinion.

In this scene, Nike is the bank. And Man U is the guy outside the bank.

I've openly admitted not to have much exposure to Vidal. Definitely being impressed with his forays for Chile in the WC, but too small a sample size for me to compare, considering how much I watch Kroos.

I'll bow to more majority knowledge, it does appear from reading here Vidal is up there in the top 3 alongside Kroos, and sure getting one of them sounds like a pretty big deal.

My worry would be that guys with aggression, energy and steel come around fairly frequently, guys with precision passing and just an ease of play like Kroos is not.

Is it too easy to compare Vidal to Keane, like what exactly is he, in terms of what he does? When I see people say beast and phrases like that, I get the impression he is like some sort of DM or something. I watched him against Chile and saw a pretty good engine, not exactly drizzled with finese, but more a verocious high tempo'd midfielder.

Again might be disengenious since I havn't watched him play for Juve much at all last season.

He's not worth more than Vidal. Kroos has one year left on his contract, that's why he's so cheap. Vidal's contract runs until 2017, that's why he'll cost a fortune.
    Did you bother looking at my comment? I said different circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Their is a serious amount of deadwood and with no Europe it is the perfect time to shift some of it. Clear off the deadwood and give some youngsters more games and build back the squad next season for the Champions League.

Agree with this actually.

We dont need to have a huge squad next season anyway.

Lets get some money from poor players and lets save up some wages also.

win win.

Cleverley, Welbeck and Young(although im about 60:40 on it) deserve a crack, but the likes of Anderson and Valencia deserve to be gone now at this stage.

Did you bother looking at my comment? I said different circumstances.

Of course i looked at your comment, did you look at mine? i thought i was being quite clear.

• Advertisement

It's a viable critiscm alright, but at the same time he operates in a German team alongside Schweinsteiger and Khedira who do that work, and for Bayern alongside Schweinsteiger and MArtinez, more recently Lahm, who do that work.

I don't think the issue is he "cant" do it, he did it plenty last night, it's more a case he doesn't need too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

"Seeing Paul Pogba play is like watching an interested girl you decided against asking out at school...turn into a Victoria's Secret model"

andy mitten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

bangkok wrote: »
    "Seeing Paul Pogba play is like watching an interested girl you decided against asking out at school...turn into a Victoria's Secret model"

andy mitten

We did 'ask her out' though and she said no. She wanted someone who would treat her like a goddess and lavish her with gifts and praise to keep her interested and we didn't think she was worth it.

Of course i looked at your comment, did you look at mine? i thought i was being quite clear.
    You were, but it either mean's you didn't look at my comment or cannot understand what I was saying.

Different circumstances:

- Vidal never openly stated he wanted to leave, Kroos did - not in a direct way but yeah.

- The contract issue. This was the obvious thing.

- United are willing to pay more as they are not in CL

These will all effect their price on the market. There are probably other things to mention but I'm hungover on holidays and my head's all over the place.

andy mitten

Yeah but you lost interest because she said she wasn't having sex until marriage .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

How did you think Khedira got on last night? I thought he was very good, I actually think he has done quite well during this World Cup in his couple of games..

Could be a good option, reasonable price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

andy mitten

Dont dip your dick in crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Thecon21 wrote: »
    How did you think Khedira got on last night? I thought he was very good, I actually think he has done quite well during this World Cup in his couple of games..

Could be a good option, reasonable price too.

class player, one of the best in the world in that position, a beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Khedira is looking good because he was so rested coming in to the WC imo. Great player, but not as good as his WC suggests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Khedira is looking good because he was so rested coming in to the WC imo. Great player, but not as good as his WC suggests.

He was equally class if not even more so at the last WC. He's a savage player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Dont dip your dick in crazy.

It can be the best sex you ever had though, just don't always expect to wake up with said dick still attached

keane2097 wrote: »
    He was equally class if not even more so at the last WC. He's a savage player.

At the last WC he was 4 years younger. I maintain he's a great player, but his WC performance this time around has been boosted by his lack of gametime at Madrid this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

At the last WC he was 4 years younger. I maintain he's a great player, but his WC performance this time around has been boosted by his lack of gametime at Madrid this season.

How does a lack of game time from injury boost him?

How does a lack of game time from injury boost him?

He has been rested whether his feet have been in casts or not.

Not having that

The same line was being used as a defence for Nani not three weeks ago in how he was poisonous for Portugal. Can't have it both ways.

He had a serious injury and was a WC doubt, and has ended up being excellent throughout.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement