Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Last season was a shocker for him, just like many others. He was asked to play a different role. We seen him high up the pitch putting pressure on players.

Carrick is someone to sit back and keep us ticking over.

12/13 he was incredible, like Scholes tbh. I've always been a fan of Carrick. But if I was judging him on last season alone I'd think he should be shipped out.

I don't think it's coincidental that the last few years in a period where our midfield was been woeful... that one of the constants in that midfield was Carrick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

I don't think it's coincidental that the last few years in a period where our midfield was been woeful... that one of the constants in that midfield was Carrick.

Yeah...nothing to do with the fact we had a 40 year old, a crock and a mid table standard midfielder to aid him no?

Yeah...nothing to do with the fact we had a 40 year old, a crock and a mid table standard midfielder to aid him no?

Almost all of the aforementioned played better than him... says enough I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I for one, always thought Carrick was the most overrated player at United for years. ToiletFusion summed it up perfectly saying he is useless under any sort of pressure. He panics, and passes backwards.

We could bring in a far superior player than him and it could change the way we play completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

He could do a job that's true, but I just feel we should be looking for players who can offer more than that...

This exactly. Carrick is grand, he can do certain things to a decent standard, and he is probably the best of a bad bunch in what we have had for the past few years, but he doesn't do enough for me and I think he is really holding us back at times.

In an attacking sense, he plays with absolutely no urgency, slows the play down far too much. His passing range is pretty limited, you'd never really see him playing a difficult through ball, the odd long ball over the top is successful but not often enough for how often he tries them. He never passes and moves either, any time he ever makes a forward pass that is it, he stands admiring it and never looks for the return.

Defensively he doesn't do a great deal either. Has a great positional sense for blocking off avenues and slowing opposition down at times, but that is the full extent of what he does there. Rarely makes any possession winning tackles and isn't reliable for tracking runners at all.

He offers no where near enough to be considered a defensive midfielder, he provides very little in terms of an attacking/creative force, and is good but unspectacular at the little things in the middle, and for me that is not enough for a Man United midfielder.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I for one hope Herrara is the beginning of the end for Carrick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

bangkok wrote: »
    what positions might they be? he is actually the perfect player for Utd

I'd much rather see a top quality centre half and a combative midfielder being bought first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nuts102 wrote: »
    He can run with the ball, he can pass it forward, he can assist and he can score.
    To be fair, since 2010 Khedira at club level as 9 goals and 10 assists in 144 games (.0625 and .0694 per game), while Cleverley as 7 goals and 6 assists in 99 games (.0707 and 0606 per game). Keep in mind also that playing at Madrid in La Liga offers a big advantage for Khedira here as opposed to playing at Man Utd/Wigan in the Premiership for Cleverley.

Not saying Cleverley is particularly good here, but I get the feeling some people are attributing abilities to Khedira that he doesnt really have. He is a hard working player who can cover round well and fill a role for teams who need that (much like pre illness Fletcher, who I liked a lot), but he is not some dynamic attacking midfield treat or really anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The days of traditional 2 man midfields are gone.

Football doesn't work like that. There's always something that is supposed to be a thing of the past until fans happen to see a high profile team using it and then it's back to being a thing of the present.

A few years ago you would have been telling me that the days of 3 centre-backs were gone. Now they're back to being an accepted formation, just because more high profile teams have been using them.

All of the standard formations work in any given season, once you have suitable players. And there are always suitable players.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Go back a few years before that when we won a three league titles and got to how many CL finals who was in CM then?

People are wither very quick to forget or just don't understand the game.

Of all the midfielders we have right now, Carrick should be the last one to be replaced (barring new signings). The reason? He's better than them all. So when we have better players than him at the club i'll be ok about him leaving but will recognise just what a great purchase he was.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Khedira is another one of these CMs who does lots of good things but is weak at the basic possession stuff that goes unnoticed. He needs to be in a three man CM and then he does a reasonable, but much over-hyped, job. There are a lot of better CMs who could be bought and probably for less money.
    Bingo, he is a Flamini or Fletcher, nothing more and nothing less. That is not a bad thing, but is also not what we should be looking for at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

keane2097 wrote: »
    That almost never happens!

Me talking out my hoop or admiting I'm wrong? One happens a lot more than the other! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Football doesn't work like that. There's always something that is supposed to be a thing of the past until fans happen to see a high profile team using it and then it's back to being a thing of the present.

A few years ago you would have been telling me that the days of 3 centre-backs were gone. Now they're back to being an accepted formation, just because more high profile teams have been using them.

All of the standard formations work in any given season, once you have suitable players. And there are always suitable players.

Holland are using this as a back up plan, Juventus are switching and Italy will be switching now too as it doesn't work long term.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Go back a few years before that when we won a three league titles and got to how many CL finals who was in CM then?

People are wither very quick to forget or just don't understand the game.

Of all the midfielders we have right now, Carrick should be the last one to be replaced (barring new signings). The reason? He's better than them all. So when we have better players than him at the club i'll be ok about him leaving but will recognise just what a great purchase he was.

We had Scholes then

Holland are using this as a back up plan, Juventus are switching and Italy will be switching now too as it doesn't work long term.

There are a lot more teams than Holland, Juventus and Italy who have been using 3 CBs. Edit: Also, there's no guarantee that Juve and and Italy will switch and the idea that a WC semi-finalist would have used 3 CBs (whether back-up plan or not) would have been dismissed out of hand by the majority on this forum two seasons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Don't think you can say it doesn't work long term, I mean they've played it all tournament without a team finding a weakness in it.

As with all formations, they're merely adaptable and transformative depending on where the ball is these days. If anything the days of rigid formations are gone.

Almost all of the aforementioned played better than him... says enough I'd say
    OK, you have stopped making sense now.
    Defensively he doesn't do a great deal either. Has a great positional sense for blocking off avenues and slowing opposition down at times, but that is the full extent of what he does there. Rarely makes any possession winning tackles and isn't reliable for tracking runners at all.
    Actually he tends to track runners quite well for the most part, and "possession winning tackles" are one of the most overrated attributes in the modern game for the most part. Ferdinand rarely made those tackles either, especially for a CB, yet he is possibly the best defender to ever play for Man Utd. Especially in the modern game with a lot of diving and fouls being called much easier, in dangerous positions it is usually a better idea to slow opposition attacks down, stifle them and force errors than to try and play physically and slide around the place, lunging in all over the sop.

As for people looking for someone to play the ball forward from very deep positions (which Carrick tended to take up under Ferguson, allowing Evra/Rafael to move forward more often), David Luiz is quite handy at that...

Someone mentioned it earlier, tat Carrick was good bringing the ball forward for Spurs. Thin is, we have asked him to play a much different and more conservative role for most of is time here.

I've posted this formation before but I've updated now to see how I'd fit in Di Maria. Seems the best option to fit everyone in (and Rooney in his preferred position) if the dream happened and Vidal and Di Maria were signed.

dg2ck5.jpg

The problem with this formation for me is the lack of pace up front. I think all of the successful teams using a diamond have had at least one pacey player in the front three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is LvG not just playing a back three because Strootman is out injured? With Strootman wasn't he a 4-3-3 man?

Billy86 wrote: »
    OK, you have stopped making sense now.

Actually he tends to track runners quite well for the most part, and "possession winning tackles" are one of the most overrated attributes in the modern game for the most part. Ferdinand rarely made those tackles either, especially for a CB, yet he is possibly the best defender to ever play for Man Utd. Especially in the modern game with a lot of diving and fouls being called much easier, in dangerous positions it is usually a better idea to slow opposition attacks down, stifle them and force errors than to try and play physically and slide around the place, lunging in all over the sop.

As for people looking for someone to play the ball forward from very deep positions (which Carrick tended to take up under Ferguson, allowing Evra/Rafael to move forward more often), David Luiz is quite handy at that...

Someone mentioned it earlier, tat Carrick was good bringing the ball forward for Spurs. Thin is, we have asked him to play a much different and more conservative role for most of is time here.

Your point was that Carrick was poor because the quality of the players around him.

But the 40 year old Giggs played better than him, an ill Fletcher offered more than him also. Cleverly fair enough but Carrick had one unreal season, but the others he was average.

I personally don't think a club like United should be settling for average

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This is so true

Querioz convinced Fergie to move to a 3-5-2 formation so we could dominate even more games and score MORE goals. Ended up getting obliterated in the two games it was tried and ended up reverting back to 4-4-2.

4-4-2 has been simply put our identity for so long at United. Ferguson brought in a 4-5-1 then for away games in Europe, or tough domestic games that was around the time when the trend was being more compact and conceeding less, rather then score more.

A change from 4-4-2 would be a welcomed sight in a sense, just to witness something new.

I still think 4-2-3-1 has a great place in the game, and Moyes tried it a few times and it never paid off for him, but showed signs. However he stuck WAY too long with 4-4-2 with inept wingers and slow CM's that couldn't hack it.

"Most" teams are operating a three man midfield in terms of high level European competition. But that is not to say you HAVE to match them in the middle. With a three man midfield you tend to sacrifice width, and space in the fullback areas, and that can be exploited. But you do need two pretty fit and stamina heavy CM's to pull it off.

But Pro.F is spot on and we should all be wise to this now, there is always a new Flavour of the month, it was Tika Taka was dead, then it was grand, then it was dead again here in the Euros with Spain. There is more then one way to skin a cat, and if everyone played the same it would be rubbish.

I'm thankful that the horrible promoted team mantra has subsided, where teams like Stoke etc came up and played 4-5-1 and just stiffled games hoping to nick a goal, that has changed with teams coming up being more adventurous and realising you need to score goals to succeed.

I must admit though the German style really sits well with me. At its pomp its like a vintage United team viscerating through teams at pace and speed. I am not majorly a fan of the passing the ball to death across the opposition box, find it a bit boring, ala Barcalona in their pomp. While I appreciated what they were doing, it really turned me off watching La Liga in general, as they would just go through this monotonous passing feast and you'd be praying for a little spark.

If anything has been note worthy from LVG is how he can relay a new tactic to his players and have them understand it relatively quickly and succesfully. They were prodominantly 4-3-3 via qualifiers, but it looks like this 3-4-3 ( 3-5-1?) they have deployed has been tailored for the climate and environment they find themselves in and working well.

Be nice to have a manager who has a couple of options in terms of formation and can rock them out at will.

Your point was that Carrick was poor because the quality of the players around him.

But the 40 year old Giggs played better than him, an ill Fletcher offered more than him also. Cleverly fair enough but Carrick had one unreal season, but the others he was average.

I personally don't think a club like United should be settling for average
    Except none of them did, which is why I said you are not making sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is LvG not just playing a back three because Strootman is out injured? With Strootman wasn't he a 4-3-3 man?

While it was 4-3-3 for most of the qualifiers, it seems to be a case that the new three at the back was a formation that worked to the strengths of Robben, Sneijder and RVP, affording them less need to chase the ball and create more space for them to run into and break.

It's also less focused on pressing high up the pitch to reserve energy levels, and suck the opposition in to win the ball and spring a break with Robben etc.

That's my take on it, I think it might have happened if Strootman was there regardless, the indication during the friendlies was he needed to change something to adapt to the climate and environment and

MagicIRL wrote: »

Yeah I think so. But it doesn't change the fact that 3 CBs is back to being reasonably acceptable now, after a few years of being completely disregarded by fans in this part of the world. The reason it's now accepted as viable is not because the game has changed, it's because the formation has been more visible in the PL, CL and international tournaments.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Except none of them did, which is why I said you are not making sense.

Maybe that's a matter of opinion..

He contributed 0 assists last season, from a midfielder who was bought originally for his ability to thread through the killer pass... that's a pathetic return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's surely not that different with Strootman dropping in as a pseudo 3rd CB though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

TheDoc wrote: »
    Anytime I see that Jennifer Lawrence gif I lose total train of thought on what the conversation/topic is

50409-Jennifer-Lawrence-boobs-gif-S4B0.gif

So, Vidal or....something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

Can anybody tell me who would be the best "In the know" journalists on Twitter to follow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Danye wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me who would be the best "In the know" journalists on Twitter to follow?

Jennifer Lawrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Maybe that's a matter of opinion..

He contributed 0 assists last season, from a midfielder who was bought originally for his ability to thread through the killer pass... that's a pathetic return.

Last season is the worst measuring stick to use to judge a players worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I find Jennifer Lawrence to be an awful sap.

What ever happened our good old Kate Upton conversation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

:eek:

FutureGuy we need your powers to tell us we aren't signing J-Law. Stat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

LVG is quoted as saying he only switched formation because Strootman was missing, he is 4-3-3 manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Aren't we a bit light at left back then?

I think it has to mean another one is coming in. Daley Blind perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

:eek:

FutureGuy we need your powers to tell us we aren't signing J-Law. Stat!

She's not coming is she FutureGuy..c'mon deny it quickly
    while you're at it deny anna kendrick is signing too :p:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Degag wrote: »
    I think it has to mean another one is coming in. Daley Blind perhaps.

Wouldn't say no!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ESPN reporting that gala have leaked the fact Snedijer has a 20m release clause and that he would,like to play under LVG.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Lord TSC wrote: »
    ESPN reporting that gala have leaked the fact Snedijer has a 20m release clause and that he would,like to play under LVG.

Uggghhhh another summer, another Snedijer rumour. It's the never ending saga :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

J. Marston wrote: »
    50409-Jennifer-Lawrence-boobs-gif-S4B0.gif

So, Vidal or....something?

Well that's me in a daze for the evening.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Gala and Sneijder can FRO
    he teased us for long enough..had his chance and we got burnt several times..
    thanks but no thanks
    off LVG's oranje army i'd take Strootman, Blind, De Vrij and Robben(never going to happen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You have made a powerful enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

DID SOMEONE SAY KATE UPTON?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ElChe32 wrote: »

giphy.gif
    i would batter her backdoors in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Lads, just heard that Jennifer Lawrence is open to signing for Jennifer Lawrence for a knock down fee of Jennifer Lawrence.

ElChe32 wrote: »

giphy.gif

SEE, SEE, THIS IS WHAT I MEAN!

You've made a new best friend ElChe.

Lots not enough Anna Kendrick on the board...
    I'm useless with gifs...
    anyone that can help me out makes a friend for life..
    anyone makes fun of me is in trouble...
    In the words of Liam Neeson...I will find you and....agh who am i kidding this is an anonymous forum after all...

In other news, its looking like Paddy is on his way
    Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 4m
    Patrice Evra pretty close to Juventus move. He is asking #MUFC if he can go and club willing to let it happen, albeit reluctantly

brinty wrote: »
    Lots not enough Anna Kendrick on the board...
    I'm useless with gifs...
    anyone that can help me out makes a friend for life..
    anyone makes fun of me is in trouble...
    In the words of Liam Neeson...I will find you and....agh who am i kidding this is an anonymous forum after all...

She's saying "Hey brinty I ****ing love you so much and you might not be able to hear me but at least you can look at me talking." Then she laughs and says "No seriously call me".

anna-kendrick-o.gif

I stopped looking at that J-Law gif to do this for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

In other news, its looking like Paddy is on his way

Nani , Evra and £30m for Vidal :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ill be gutted to see Evra gone, such a great servant to the club. It will be a big miss the dressing room too

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85953492&postcount=9158

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Ill be gutted to see Evra gone, such a great servant to the club. It will be a big miss the dressing room too

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85953492&postcount=9158

I agree, he will be missed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91202519&postcount=6427

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement