Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Arsenal could look for a part-exchange deal with Manchester United involving Tom Cleverley and Thomas Vermaelen. (Source: Daily Mirror)

This made me lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Nolars wrote: »
    Arsenal could look for a part-exchange deal with Manchester United involving Tom Cleverley and Thomas Vermaelen. (Source: Daily Mirror)

This made me lol

His continental Spanish style would be really appreciated at Arsenal tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Why are some outlets reporting Vermaelan deal done, at 100k a week.

What the ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

TheDoc wrote: »
    Why are some outlets reporting Vermaelan deal done, at 100k a week.

What the ****?

Probably had to go that mark to convince him to move now rather than wait for a lucrative Bosman next Summer.
    Stinks of us being desperate though, all our other CB options must have tee turned us down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

how much did we supposedly pay for vermaelan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

how much did we supposedly pay for vermaelan?

Rumoured around 10 million but who knows really, may be agreement with player but not with club yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

how do you all feel about vermaelen as a first signing if it happens? im unsure tbh was expecting a huge name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Silly holding off for a marquee signing, I'll be very disappointed if he's the only CB we sign this Summer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I wouldn't be, we need another body for centre back, but I want to see Evans, Jones and Smalling get a season to fight it out for the centre back spots properly.

I see Chris Woods on the USA bench, goalkeeping coach apparently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

kryogen wrote: »
    I wouldn't be, we need another body for centre back, but I want to see Evans, Jones and Smalling get a season to fight it out for the centre back spots properly.

I agree that we need bodies, lacking quality though imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

how do you all feel about vermaelen as a first signing if it happens? im unsure tbh was expecting a huge name

Not happy to be honest, we need a player like Hummels, not player who can't get a game for Arsenal,

I'd say it's the way this transfer window will go though, getting second rate players

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Not really getting all the hate for Vermaelen, he's a damn good player and easily Arsenal's best defender before long-term injuries and two inform CB's after his recovery kept him out of the team. If he stays fit then he's a solid addition to the squad. He's got a good head and lots of experience, I'd be happy to see the deal go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Can see him slipping into vidics shoes as a leader.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I get people want the marquee signings out first but there's going to have to be some squad signings as well (and even then I think Verm will fall between those two categories).

Who cares what order our signings are coming in once we're making them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I get people want the marquee signings out first but there's going to have to be some squad signings as well (and even then I think Verm will fall between those two categories).

Because maybe it is like last summer where we chased Fabregas and ended up with Fellaini. This summer we are going for Hummels and ending up with Vermalen. Maybe there won't be a better centre back bought; it is a worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I use to remember when you were cool, now you have joined the establishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Hahaha! Serves ya right TSC! Now that you're a mod, the n in shadowclan is on a line all to itself because of the bold font. Ya look like a fool! Mwhahahahaha!

Any improvement on the Vermaelen deal? It was the Telegraph that started this whole thing off, anything more concrete?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Hahaha! Serves ya right TSC! Now that you're a mod, the n in shadowclan is on a line all to itself because of the bold font. Ya look like a fool! Mwhahahahaha!

Any improvement on the Vermaelen deal? It was the Telegraph that started this whole thing off, anything more concrete?

Cross is backing the interest from United (not sure if he says it is as far along as the telegraph says), and I would rate Cross as very good with Arsenal stuff, he is close to a number of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Can see him slipping into vidics shoes as a leader.

Are you taking the piss?

You can see Thomas Vermaelen, captain of an Arsenal team with a shocking lack of leadership, stepping into the shoes of Nemanja Vidic?

Honestly I think the lack of signings is getting to people and they are trying to convince themselves that this is a signing we need.

He's a poor defender, he's a poor leader. On the bench for Arsenal, on the bench for Belgium. If we had Evra and Vermaelen in a back 4 we would be roasted week in week out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss?

You can see Thomas Vermaelen, captain of an Arsenal team with a shocking lack of leadership, stepping into the shoes of Nemanja Vidic?

Honestly I think the lack of signings is getting to people and they are trying to convince themselves that this is a signing we need.

He's a poor defender, he's a poor leader. On the bench for Arsenal, on the bench for Belgium. If we had Evra and Vermaelen in a back 4 we would be roasted week in week out.

I believe he starts for Belgium with Vertonghen moved out to Lb.

Because maybe it is like last summer where we chased Fabregas and ended up with Fellaini. This summer we are going for Hummels and ending up with Vermalen. Maybe there won't be a better centre back bought; it is a worry.

We're presuming that the sources are right that we're after both players, of course, but I've never truely bought into the Hummels story, and I also fear he's not a massively obtainable target. So maybe it is a bit similiar in a way; but at least we seem to be cutting our losses on the bigger name a bit quicker this year and trying to make moves quicker.

Honestly, I don't mind too much if Verm is our only CB option; we have other priorities (namely LB and 2x CMs) so if Verm is brought in on a lower cost, I'm happy enough with our CB options starting off.

Yes, yes, I know. Need to get that fixed, but didn't want to cause any confusion and wanted to give it a day or two so when it changes, people know who I am :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Yes, yes, I know. Need to get that fixed, but didn't want to cause any confusion and wanted to give it a day or two so when it changes, people know who I am :P

Surely all you need to do is add some spaces into your name no? You'll automatically appear more imperious. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Surely all you need to do is add some spaces into your name no? You'll automatically appear more imperious. :pac:

Few capital letters maybe? You can still sign in tho in lower case, I should know 😉

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the only reason this rumour is circulating is because Vermaelen started out at Ajax and LvG is Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Few capital letters maybe? You can still sign in tho in lower case, I should know 😉

With spaces and capitals we'll finally be able to settle all bets on what his name is.

I'm going with Teams Had Owclan.

I don't know what Owclan is, but I reckon it's probably some sort of illness or injury that sports people commonly suffered from in the 19th century.

Just going to get it reduced to the initials, since everyone just uses them anyway. :P Maybe throw in a new title to go with my avatar.

Anyway, some more news...(taken from Reddit)

The Guardian are reporting that Arsenal want Smalling and Cleverly.

El Confidencial report that the €35m for Khedeira would likely be accepted this time around, as Real Madrid look to sell and refresh in a couple of areas. The Spanish outlet explain that Manchester United were the last club to approach Real Madrid for Khedira.

Sport Wereld in Belgium have picked up a Marca claim about Adnan Januzaj. Real Madrid are sniffing around again and would be prepared to pay €42m. That's the kind of move which would kick off riots at Old Trafford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Honestly, I don't mind too much if Verm is our only CB option; we have other priorities (namely LB and 2x CMs) so if Verm is brought in on a lower cost, I'm happy enough with our CB options starting off

It would be an incredibly underwhelming signing though, because yet again it would be a signing that does not increase the quality of the team. We need players who are better than what we have, not more of the same.

Still, it would be a signing that can only be judged alongside any other signings. If the other signings do improve the quality of the team then I can handle a Vermaelan coming as well.

The reported wages concern me though. £100000 p/w? The last thing we need is another Ashley Young type squad player on big wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Vermaelen could be a very good signing, good footballer, left sided, has a goal in him, was previously high class but suffered a dip and some injuries...since Arsenal aren't exactly known for focussing on no nonsense defending or even protecting their back four...not to mention having a pretty suspect keeper situation for pretty much all of the time he's been with them, I'd suggest there is quite the possibility that we might see a completely different player at United if he were to sign.
    He'll also be dealing with coach and philosphy he knows well so he should fit in pretty seamlessly to the new regime.

Could be a shrewd piece of business imo.

I don't think there is much point blowing massive fees on Centre backs, I think it's time for Jones and Evans to step into the breach, they would be my pairing, let them flourish with some continuity and the confidence that they are first choice.
    We can moan all we want about the Jones/Evans/Smalling trio of 'young' centre backs but there are very few around with similar age and experience profiles who are readily available and are an immediate improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

ericzeking wrote: »
    Vermaelen could be a very good signing, good footballer, left sided, has a goal in him, was previously high class but suffered a dip and some injuries...since Arsenal aren't exactly known for focussing on no nonsense defending or even protecting their back four...not to mention having a pretty suspect keeper situation for pretty much all of the time he's been with them, I'd suggest there is quite the possibility that we might see a completely different player at United if he were to sign.
    He'll also be dealing with coach and philosphy he knows well so he should fit in pretty seamlessly to the new regime.

Could be a shrewd piece of business imo.
    I don't think there is much point blowing massive fees on Centre backs, I think it's time for Jones and Evans to step into the breach, they would be my pairing, let them flourish with some continuity and the confidence that they are first choice.
    We can moan all we want about the Jones/Evans/Smalling trio of 'young' centre backs but there are very few around with similar age and experience profiles who are readily available and are an immediate improvement.

I'd be kinda thinking the same thing also, a couple of proper CM and a quality left back and then maybe the CB wouldn't be exposed so much. Look not every signing can be world class and it would be foolish to think so but Vermaalen (is that right) would certainly fall into a good squad signing if its true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hummels with a good display yesterday, albeit against a rubbish Portgual frontline.

He just makes it look so easy and comfortable, and good on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the only reason this rumour is circulating is because Vermaelen started out at Ajax and LvG is Dutch.

I read it a few months ago somewhere, was told by a friend as well that he read it in one of the fanzine's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

One centre half, a left wing back, and a central midfielder. That's what I expect this summer. I no longer expect top names, though. I could see us signing Vermaelen, Blind and Khedira. It would be an improvement on last season, but not enough to challenge for the title.
    But if we then added Strootman in January, and maybe added another player or two next summer, we might be well placed for a shot at the title in 15/16.

DDG

Vermaelen
    Evans
    rafeal
    blind
    fellaini
    khedira
    ---mata
    kagawa
    rooney---
    RVP

Poor from Ogden.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10905079/Germanys-Mats-Hummels-admits-hed-like-to-play-for-Manchester-United-one-day.html

Headline
    Germany's Mats Hummels admits he'd like to play for Manchester United one day
    Actual quote
    “I never think about that or talk about it because it is something that isn’t important for me right now,” Hummels said. “Maybe it will be some day, but I don’t expect it to be like that this summer.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

One centre half, a left wing back, and a central midfielder. That's what I expect this summer. I no longer expect top names, though. I could see us signing Vermaelen, Blind and Khedira. It would be an improvement on last season, but not enough to challenge for the title.
    But if we then added Strootman in January, and maybe added another player or two next summer, we might be well placed for a shot at the title in 15/16.

DDG

Vermaelen
    Evans
    rafeal
    blind
    fellaini
    khedira
    ---mata
    kagawa
    rooney---
    RVP

Why in Gods name would you think we would get Blind and Khedira?

• Advertisement

Corvo wrote: »
    Why in Gods name would you think we would get Blind and Khedira?

Oh, sorry, I forgot that we're signing Hummels, Shaw, Vidal, Pogba and Robben.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Oh, sorry, I forgot that we're signing Hummels, Shaw, Vidal, Pogba and Robben.

Never said that either, but Khedira is laughable. I couldn't see us signing him at all - though I would like it obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Lucas Hood wrote: »

In fairness the sub editor writes the headline not the journalist

Corvo wrote: »
    Never said that either, but Khedira is laughable. I couldn't see us signing him at all - though I would like it obviously.

Maybe, maybe not. Swap him for Herrera or Carvalho if you like. The main point is that we won't be seeing the massive signings that some are still expecting.

Maybe, maybe not. Swap him for Herrera or Carvalho if you like. The main point is that we won't be seeing the massive signings that some are still expecting.

Have you even seen Carvalho play ball? If he's such a beast at CM he would've started against Germany.

• Advertisement

Have you even seen Carvalho play ball? If he's such a beast at CM he would've started against Germany.

I have seen him, yes. Looks a fine player. Much better than Meireles. Why he wasn't in the team is down to the manager, not me.

De Gea & Javi Martinez don't start for Spain does that mean they're not great?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    De Gea & Javi Martinez don't start for Spain does that mean they're not great?

not even an argument, spain are world champions with the best squad in the world, Portugal are very poor the fact the raul merilies starts midfield for them sums them up

bangkok wrote: »
    not even an argument, spain are world champions with the best squad in the world, Portugal are very poor the fact the raul merilies starts midfield for them sums them up

He wasn't comparing the teams. He was making a point that the best players don't always get selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

He wasn't comparing the teams. He was making a point that the best players don't always get selected.

yes because spain have better players playing... ie iniesta xavi silva etc. Portugal have nobody really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Portugal chose to play 3 players with a combined 191 caps at international in a game in a major tournament instead of a 22 year old with a handful of friendlies to his name.

Carvalho is a better player than both Veloso and Meireles, but their coach decided experience was more important for this game. That's his choice to make, but I think it's the wrong one.

I've expect Carvalho to start the next 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Khedira is the most limited player in the German and Real Madrid squads I'd hope we wouldn't go near him especially at the sums being quoted for him.

bangkok wrote: »
    yes because spain have better players playing... ie iniesta xavi silva etc. Portugal have nobody really

There's an argument that they might have done a lot better against Holland with a player like Martinez instead of one of the players you mentioned. Certainly would have done better with DDG!

The point is simply that Carvalho was easily good enough to get into that Portugal team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

There's an argument that they might have done a lot better against Holland with a player like Martinez instead of one of the players you mentioned. Certainly would have done better with DDG!

The point is simply that Carvalho was easily good enough to get into that Portugal team.

This.

I've noticed most of the larger nations have stuck with experience rather than possible form/young players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

beno619 wrote: »
    This.

I've noticed most of the larger nations have stuck with experience rather than possible form/young players.

France being the obvious exception, they've picked kids like Sakho, Varane, Pogba and Griezmann in key areas.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement