Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Asked how big were his balls after subbing on Krul

1404988576836_wps_8_TOPSHOTS_Netherlands_coac.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Pro. F wrote: »
    Where are you getting this from? That's not how buyout clauses work at all. For example, every player in Spain has to have a buyout clause in their contract, it's a legal requirement. The clauses are nearly always set at some ridiculous figure so that they become meaningless and are ignored in transfer negotiations. The vast majority of transfers in Spain conclude with fees well below the buyout clause.

If a club thinks they're getting good value for the fee offered, then they will sell. They'll pay zero attention to the buyout clause if it's set too high.

It's still a figure they quote when trying to wrangle a few million more out of the English teams though.

Portuguese teams seem sticky enough to haggle down from the buyout clause

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It's still a figure they quote when trying to wrangle a few million more out of the English teams though.

Portuguese teams seem sticky enough to haggle down from the buyout clause

Maybe Portuguese teams are. I'd need to see plenty of evidence before I'd be convinced. It's certainly not true for buyout clauses in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Maybe Portuguese teams are. I'd need to see plenty of evidence before I'd be convinced. It's certainly not true for buyout clauses in general.

to be fair, it depends on the player and the buyout clause. Some are massively unrealistic, some offer something a bit closer to value.

If the buyout clause is €40million or lower, I would say the deal will generally be done at close to that, unless the contract is running down etc. However, I don't think it would take €1billion (reported buy out for Ronaldo) to get Real to sell him.

The buyout clause has to be agreed with the player, as far as I know, so it makes sense that in some cases the buyout clause should be somewhat realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Mario Gotze and Martinez were both bought by Bayern for their exact release clause.

Though Arsenal's cheeky 40,000,001 bid didn't get accepted though it was a pound more than Suarez's clause?

I also read a case where Liverpool bid for a player, bid the specified amount and the Chairman of the club, just didn't bothered signing off on the document!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Duncan Castles ‏@DuncanCastles 2m
    Will have some significant Manchester United news later. #MUFC

Au revoir Evra.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

So Evra has asked to leave, we'll need cover in left back position now so, and United can sign Sneijder for 16 million.

Don't know if we should tbh, he's a good player, 30 years old though, and it seems like every year he has been linked with us ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Fcuk Sneijder. We already have more no.10s than we know what to do with!

Mario Gotze and Martinez were both bought by Bayern for their exact release clause.

Though Arsenal's cheeky 40,000,001 bid didn't get accepted though it was a pound more than Suarez's clause?

I also read a case where Liverpool bid for a player, bid the specified amount and the Chairman of the club, just didn't bothered signing off on the document!

Liverpool got done the same way they did arsenal. The bids should have been accepted, but in both cases the selling clubs just said - take us to court if you want, fcuk you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

TheTownie wrote: »
    Au revoir Evra.

Surely wouldn't be Evra related? it's hardly a secret anymore.

• Advertisement

So Gotze and Martinez are another two players that went for their buyout clause and we could probably name a few more of we thought about it. That's still a miniscule number compared to the number of players who have buyout clauses.

Surely wouldn't be Evra related? it's hardly a secret anymore.

he is known for building up his tweets, and then delivering some well known underwhelming news. He loves the clickbait.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

he is known for building up his tweets, and then delivering some well known underwhelming news. He loves the clickbait.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's Evra.

to be fair, it depends on the player and the buyout clause. Some are massively unrealistic, some offer something a bit closer to value.

If the buyout clause is €40million or lower, I would say the deal will generally be done at close to that, unless the contract is running down etc. However, I don't think it would take €1billion (reported buy out for Ronaldo) to get Real to sell him.

The buyout clause has to be agreed with the player, as far as I know, so it makes sense that in some cases the buyout clause should be somewhat realistic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the insane inflation in recent years has caught the Spanish selling clubs off guard with how they've set their clauses. €40m was an impossible fee for a prospect just a few seasons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Can't say I'm disappointed to see Evra's departure, if it does come to pass.
    He seems like a nice fella, and was (at least for a time) obviously a great character in the dressing room.

The last couple of seasons however, have seen him decline dramatically as a defender.
    What is plain to see now however in the aftermath of Evra and Buttner leaving, is two fold. One, Shaw is going to be playing a lot of matches as a first choice left back, and two, we now need to get backup in for LB and RB. Persisting with Evans at LB, and Jones or Smalling at RB is something that cannot be allowed to continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Can't say I'm disappointed to see Evra's departure, if it does come to pass.
    He seems like a nice fella, and was (at least for a time) obviously a great character in the dressing room.

The last couple of seasons however, have seen him decline dramatically as a defender.
    What is plain to see now however in the aftermath of Evra and Buttner leaving, is two fold. One, Shaw is going to be playing a lot of matches as a first choice left back, and two, we now need to get backup in for LB and RB. Persisting with Evans at LB, and Jones or Smalling at RB is something that cannot be allowed to continue.

Varela and Janko are both available. They have to be given a shot at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The young lad Keane at CB can cover LB too, or am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Liverpool got done the same way they did arsenal. The bids should have been accepted, but in both cases the selling clubs just said - take us to court if you want, fcuk you.

I thought it was a case of Arsenal thinking there was a buyout clause and then looking ridiculous when there was no such thing in his contract. Otherwise when the bid was made Suarez would have automatically been able to speak to Arsenal regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The young lad Keane at CB can cover LB too, or am I wrong?

IIRC he played as RB before but not as LB.

I thought it was a case of Arsenal thinking there was a buyout clause and then looking ridiculous when there was no such thing in his contract. Otherwise when the bid was made Suarez would have automatically been able to speak to Arsenal regardless.

Liveprool owner admitted they simply bluffed arsenal on it - they met the clause, Liverpool just told them no anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wasn't the 40m+ bid clause only permitting Suarez to speak to other clubs and\or discuss new contract with Pool, and not automatic acceptance clause?

10541478_10152292716077746_903226084280564052_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Varela and Janko are both available. They have to be given a shot at some point.

I fully agree they need game time, but say Shaw is out, and we're playing Chelsea at the Bridge. Would you prefer to see Janko or the likes of Blind playing there.

I have no problem with young guys playing, it's part of United's style, but I would be happier to see it against Hull/Cardiff/West Brom calibre teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Where are you getting this from? That's not how buyout clauses work at all. For example, every player in Spain has to have a buyout clause in their contract, it's a legal requirement. The clauses are nearly always set at some ridiculous figure so that they become meaningless and are ignored in transfer negotiations. The vast majority of transfers in Spain conclude with fees well below the buyout clause.

If a club thinks they're getting good value for the fee offered, then they will sell. They'll pay zero attention to the buyout clause if it's set too high.

In the case where a highly sought after player is wanted, I can't remember a time where a Spanish club has not sat back and pointed to the buyout clause, in the case where the player hasn't handed in an official transfer request.

Yeah sure, if your buying average play B and the club don't see a future for him, of course its within their best interest to not hold out for the buyout in order to get a sale.

But in the case of highly sought after players, who generate interest and are hot properties, most clubs will point to the buyout clause.

If Blind hadn't been selected by Van Gaal he wouldn't have been mentioned once on this thread. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be interested if the price is right, but it's funny to see him talked about so much now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Duncan Castles is full of rubbish. He just posts up a link to some stupid site with a garbage article for clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

If Blind hadn't been selected by Van Gaal he wouldn't have been mentioned once on this thread. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be interested if the price is right, but it's funny to see him talked about so much now.

He's Dutch, simple as. We'll be linked to every Dutch player with a modicum of talent until the transfer window closes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Was i right in hearing Evra signed a one year extension at the end of the season gone? Or is he going on a free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Was i right in hearing Evra signed a one year extension at the end of the season gone? Or is he going on a free?

Utd activated an extra year on his contract (due to games played or something) that's why we're getting a fee for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Yeah he signed the one year extension, it was in his last contract that he would get the year extension. We'll get a few bob for Pat.

Agreed and don't see why we'd plough so much money into one position. Evra would have been a perfect backup if he stayed for a number of games per season. Blind would want to be a starter for any side he joins and although he's a versatile player, he's far more limited in midfield than at LB. I'd imagine one of the younger players will come through and be backup next season instead of Evra now or if Vermaelen is signed he could cover the position either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Despite his steep downward trajectory in quality the past few seasons, I'm going to miss Paddy something mighty.

This is my favourite video of him.

Legend.

I don't know if its so much to do with LVG, as much as maybe people seeing him for the first time?

Doubt many people here watch the Dutch league, I certainly don't and hadn't a clue who he was, like a fair few of that Dutch team.

But when you hit two crossfield balls like that in a game against Spain, your bound to sit up and take notice.

He's gone on to be pretty reliable and versatile during the tournament, but he's not someone exactly setting my pulse alight.

Very conservative in his play and would be a squad player at best imo. Definitely not sweating for LVG to get him or anything.

I think the only player that really stood out for me for Holland that I'd have an interest in would be taht CB alongside Vlaar, Djirw if thats how you spell it? I thought he was very impressive throughout.

Vlaar was the standout CB in the tournament for me, he was imprevious last night. 100% tackles won, 100% aerial duels won, 92% pass completion rate, thats mental.

But as an Aston Villa CB you have to assume he just upped his game for the occasion, or found some inspiration, and might slip back into his old mould once back with Villa.

Was interesting to read this morning various punters and journalists match reports outlining
    "Messi's first strike on goal led to Argentinas first penalty conversion, somewhat fortunate for Messi as the situation forbid Vlaar from putting the Argentinian back into his pocket"

not words I expected to read this morning, but pretty true.

what a shock, Castles' MASSIVE news was Evra to Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Man im going to miss Evra so much :(

• Advertisement

Both de Vrij and Vlaar have had a wonderful tournament. Especially Vlaar, who plys his trade at Villa and, to be honest, has been fairly muck in the premier league. It's rumoured that de Vrij to United is a done deal for 8m, to be signed after the WC ends, but I wonder will Vlaar follow him?

It's a very big step up for Vlaar, but for the right price? Aston Vila are up for sale as a club, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

TheDoc wrote: »
    I don't know if its so much to do with LVG, as much as maybe people seeing him for the first time?

Doubt many people here watch the Dutch league, I certainly don't and hadn't a clue who he was, like a fair few of that Dutch team.

But when you hit two crossfield balls like that in a game against Spain, your bound to sit up and take notice.

He's gone on to be pretty reliable and versatile during the tournament, but he's not someone exactly setting my pulse alight.

Very conservative in his play and would be a squad player at best imo. Definitely not sweating for LVG to get him or anything.

I think the only player that really stood out for me for Holland that I'd have an interest in would be taht CB alongside Vlaar, Djirw if thats how you spell it? I thought he was very impressive throughout.

Vlaar was the standout CB in the tournament for me, he was imprevious last night. 100% tackles won, 100% aerial duels won, 92% pass completion rate, thats mental.

But as an Aston Villa CB you have to assume he just upped his game for the occasion, or found some inspiration, and might slip back into his old mould once back with Villa.

Was interesting to read this morning various punters and journalists match reports outlining

not words I expected to read this morning, but pretty true.

Messi had the first shot on target from an early free kick. Also Vlaar didn't have him in his pocket he barely got the ball near the Dutch box. He was dropping back to midfield and getting closed down by two midfielders.

Headshot wrote: »
    Man im going to miss Evra so much :(

as i tweeted yesterday, I think it is a mistake to lose him.

Firstly as a good option at left back (i would make Shaw first choice).

Secondly, I would see it as a mistake to lose his experience and the respect he has built up at the club. We have lost Rio and Vidic this summer, and Giggs won't be playing anymore - that is a huge amount of leadership, experience and respect lost from the team, losing Evra too is a mistake.

We are very short of leaders at United now. RVP and.... Fletcher, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Both de Vrij and Vlaar have had a wonderful tournament. Especially Vlaar, who plys his trade at Villa and, to be honest, has been fairly muck in the premier league. It's rumoured that de Vrij to United is a done deal for 8m, to be signed after the WC ends, but I wonder will Vlaar follow him?

It's a very big step up for Vlaar, but for the right price? Aston Vila are up for sale as a club, too.

Has he been muck for Villa though a friend who follows Villa has been raving about him for awhile. Personally i haven't seen much of him to know how good he is. You would have to think at 29 and with Villa he hardly is good enough to come in as first choice for United. But he has 1 year left and if he could be got for 5 or 6 million i would be quite happy as a backup.

Can't say I've watched a lot of De Vrij in club football but been impressed with his ability to physically dominate strikers despite his age in the World Cup. Distribution has been good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Yeah he signed the one year extension, it was in his last contract that he would get the year extension. We'll get a few bob for Pat.

Im sick of seeing our players leave for next to nothing compared to what their worth but pat is pretty much worthless to us as a player so good move by us.
    I'm sure his personalty will be missed around the club though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

With Evra leaving, I've seen a lot of people suggesting that Evans can play left back or Vermaelen could potentially play left back as cover. Well that may be so, but I for one am sick of playing CB at LB or RB, we have to move as far away from that as possible. Hate Jones and Smalling at right back!!

Im sick of seeing our players leave for next to nothing compared to what their worth but pat is pretty much worthless to us as a player so good move by us.
    I'm sure his personalty will be missed around the club though.

Well considering we simply arn't producing any top quality talent from our youth setup, we are inevitably selling players that we have bought for big enough bucks.

And they are leaving because they are surplus to requirements, in otherwords not good enough.

We are rarely to never going to recoup fees on players, instances like Ronaldo are the very rare occasions where we flip profit on players. And it's very, VERY rare.

Galatasary owner stakes that Sneijder would be available for sale for £20m....

Brace yourselves, the Sneijdar talk is coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Been going on for two days already, a rather convenient leak of the clause I must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Wouldn't think Evans, Jones, Smalling or Vermaelen would be the sort of full backs the Czar of Alkmaar would want to ever really use.

That ship has long since sailed I'm afraid Wesley! He had his chance, bottled it and ended up wasting away in Turkey. Goodnight and God bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

image.png?w=739&c=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Anyone have any idea what date Sky and BT are announcing the TV fixtures, should be next couple of weeks but if anyone knows exactly that would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Especially Vlaar, who plys his trade at Villa and, to be honest, has been fairly muck in the premier league.

Don't know what Premier league you were watching but Vlaar has been consistently excellent for Villa, don't know how many times I read about him being Villas standout captain and performer amongst a bunch of kids.

I heard his name thrown about as an option before the world cup even started, he really had a great season last time out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement