Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Well it's been 9 months since I got my hair cut so I guess this is the sign I've been waiting for!

You have broken my heart, Mr Fellaini. You have broken my heart :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Just saw Fellaini without the afro. I'm hoping he's an anti-Samson and losing his hair will give him more power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I read somewhere the other day that VanGaal wants to have a 20 man squad this season. In some ways it seemed bizarre, in that we have a large squad already and there are supposed to be more players coming in. In some ways it makes sense, in that we have no Champions League football this year, and domestic cups are unpredictable. It might not be true, but it got me thinking about the squad we have. It's a big squad for the amount of football that's ahead, and very imbalanced IMO.

GK DeGea, Lindegaard, Amos RB Rafeal, Valencia LB Shaw CB Jones, Evans, Smalling, Keane

CMF Fellaini, Carrick, Cleverley, Fletcher, Anderson, Herrera WMF Young, Zaha, Nani, Januzaj

AMF Powell, Mata, Kagawa ST Welbeck, Van Persie, Rooney, Chico

That's currently 27 players for a campaign without Champions League. Way too many. Oddly though, we are still painfully short in some positions:
    One recognisable right back
    One recognisable left back
    Four centre halves, two of which are injury prone, one is a novice.
    Only one winger that has shown good form in the last two years.
    Six central midfielders. Four of them are very average, Carrick is coming to the end of his career, and one has never played for United.
    Also, we have a crop of promising youngsters like Wilson, Lawrence, Janko, Varela, that are almost ready for the senior squad.

There's a lot of talent in that group, but also a fair amount of poor players. Too many players for certain positions, not enough for other positions. I think this is Van Gaal's first major challenge at United; to balance out that squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Not to mention Henriquez and Wilson

Corvo wrote: »
    Not to mention Henriquez and Wilson

Mentioned Wilson, but forgot about Henriquez

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Re squad numbers.

The third keeper wouldn't be in that number.

Anderson, Lindegaard, Hernandez, Nani all likely to leave.

Powell, Keane and Zaha will be out on loan when a couple more signings arrive.

Wilson the only one of the younger lads mentioned are likely to be a regular squad member next season I would guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Hopefully Hernriquez gets a Premiership loan he is well thought of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We should buy an older experienced player to cover for Shaw, buying Rodriguez would just stunt one or both of their development

We should buy an older experienced player to cover for Shaw, buying Rodriguez would just stunt one or both of their development

Like i said unless he see's one of them as a winger it would be a waste of money both are future world class fullbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ricardo Rodriguez could play winger in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Rather than assuming Utd fans all think they will win the league now LVG is in charge, I thought it might be better to ask Utd fans how they think they will do this season?

I'm a Liverpool fan but I'm not trying to be mischevous. I have always liked LVG and the project he is undertaking at Utd is probably the most fascinating in the League this year. Naturally it'd be great if it all went horribly but I don't see that happening. So whats a good season for Utd in 2014/2015?

Fescue wrote: »
    Rather than assuming Utd fans all think they will win the league now LVG is in charge, I thought it might be better to ask Utd fans how they think they will do this season?

I'm a Liverpool fan but I'm not trying to be mischevous. I have always liked LVG and the project he is undertaking at Utd is probably the most fascinating in the League this year. Naturally it'd be great if it all went horribly but I don't see that happening. So whats a good season for Utd in 2014/2015?

Make some decent signings, get rid of the deadwood, finish 4th and next summer try bring in a few big name signings to win the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Back in the top 4 is the aim for now, there might be higher expectations if it starts off well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Top 4.

Pretty much the same as Liverpools I would imagine. This might be the first time in a long time the clubs will be direct rivals. Should make the games against each other a lot of fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

This season will be even more transformative than the last as many of the older, experienced players will be gone. We've made two good signings and I'm assuming we'll make a couple more. But in a season where we only need to be concentrating on domestic competitions I'd be expecting a top four finish and maybe a cup run. Don't think we'll get near winning the league as we're still in need a few more top class players. However I expect Van Gaal to have us playing beyond our ability, to be well organised and hopefully to see some of the younger players come through and have a good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Giggernaut

First time poster , long time voyeur. I thought Perez has looked decent all tournament, perhaps worth a punt if LVG has eyes for Strootman in January/Summer.http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/10/manchester-united-make-7million-transfer-offer-for-benfica-star-enzo-perez-4792991/ Good to be part of the mad house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Pretty much the same as Liverpools I would imagine. This might be the first time in a long time the clubs will be direct rivals. Should make the games against each other a lot of fun!

If they sell Suarez and Sturridge declines from last season, we won't have to worry about Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well I backed United at 13/2 last May each way so I am going for top 2. We are in a position similar to what Liverpool were last season with no European Football, so the players should be fresher towards the end of the season from having played less games than the current top 4 teams and the Europa league teams.

We are being linked with some great players, so the next thing is to sign some of them, the good thing is LVG seems to over ride the no CL problem and it seems to me the club are going all out to win the league next season.
    So it has to be top 2 if players of the quality of Vidal are signed.
    I don't think United will spend so much money simply for a top 4 finish, they will want to be challenging for the title in May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Depends on what LVG can do in a short space of time. The players are low on confidence but there is bundles of talent there. RVP, Mata, Rooney, DDG are all among the best in their positions in the world.

Liverpool showed last year that a team with obvious weaknesses (porous defence, no real squad depth etc) can have a tilt at title when a couple of players are red hot and the rest play well enough.

Realistically though, it has to be top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Serious lack of Jennifer Lawrence in here this evening.

Pogba's in London...

BsM8MmiIMAIEGGy.jpg

Pogba and Fabregas in midfield for Chelsea?

Aww, shít.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Well I backed United at 13/2 last May each way so I am going for top 2. We are in a position similar to what Liverpool were last season with no European Football, so the players should be fresher towards the end of the season from having played less games than the current top 4 teams and the Europa league teams.

We are being linked with some great players, so the next thing is to sign some of them, the good thing is LVG seems to over ride the no CL problem and it seems to me the club are going all out to win the league next season.
    So it has to be top 2 if players of the quality of Vidal are signed.
    I don't think United will spend so much money simply for a top 4 finish, they will want to be challenging for the title in May.

The most difficult thing facing Utd at the start of the season is shaking off that habit of losing matches in my opinion. So while Liverpool had a brilliant year in the league this year, really that was a carry over from their form during the second half of 2012/2013 where they only lost 3 games.

So I think turning that around is the first challenge. Obviously I think Utd have a good chance of doing that quickly with LVG but it's not easy in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Depends on what LVG can do in a short space of time. The players are low on confidence but there is bundles of talent there. RVP, Mata, Rooney, DDG are all among the best in their positions in the world.

Liverpool showed last year that a team with obvious weaknesses (porous defence, no real squad depth etc) can have a tilt at title when a couple of players are red hot and the rest play well enough.

Realistically though, it has to be top 4.
    For the others yes, but Rooney?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Giggernaut

J. Marston wrote: »
    Pogba's in London...

BsM8MmiIMAIEGGy.jpg

Aww, shít.

Balls,if he does move to Chelsea Juve will never sell Vidal, Juve would be mad to let both leave. Lets hope he's there sightseeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Billy86 wrote: »
    For the others yes, but Rooney?

I'd still say yes. Scored 1 in 2 for the team that came 7th last year abd has been doing that consistently for a decade whilst assisting quite a few as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Cant believe we weren't in for Sanchez

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

xtal191 wrote: »

It's not really a priority position right now tbh. We need to save the cash for CB, CM and possibly another LB.

If we get in a few decent players finishing top 4 would be good.

If we get Vidal and Hummels i would expect to win the league and get a wildcard into the Champions League and win that also.

I'm sure we were interested but there were plenty of reports saying that our lack of Champions League football meant he wasn't interested.

Thanks, Moyes. Clown.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Pogba's in London...

BsM8MmiIMAIEGGy.jpg

Aww, shít.

Is that Arnold from Different Strokes over the other fella's left shoulder?

RIP Gary Coleman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Is that Arnold from Different Strokes over the other fella's left shoulder?

RIP Gary Coleman

That's one truly awful looking jacket all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'd still say yes. Scored 1 in 2 for the team that came 7th last year abd has been doing that consistently for a decade whilst assisting quite a few as well.
    He is a good player it painfully overrated in my opinion, never reached his potential since he just wasn't committed enough (which really grates with me, admitedly).

He scores at a good rate but his overall game is just lacking something to put him in the top tier, and he seems to become a little less explosive every year, which is what made him stand out in the first place. His touch and passing can leave a lot to be desired at times, and he seems to increasingly struggle against good (not even the best, but just good) opposition.

Last year his brace against Spurs and consolation goal against City in the 4-1 loss were his only goals against top 8-10 teams I think it was and his only two CL goals came against a very poor Leverkusen tean, for example. The year before he had a brace in the 3-2 win over City which was of course huge, but his only other goal against top half opposition was Chelsea in the FA Cup.

Maybe Louis will stick a rocket up his ar*e but otherwise he just doesn't seem bothered far too often for me, and increasingly so, and he really isn't talented enough to have that mentality (or that wage packet). At both #9 and #10 I can think of numerous players better than him at this point in time. He did fit quite well with Kanaka and Mata towards the end of last season though, so I guess there is some hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Udinese Sanchez was a lot better player than he is now. He's a good player thou but utd dont need him what so ever

The most difficult thing facing Utd at the start of the season is shaking off that habit of losing matches in my opinion. So while Liverpool had a brilliant year in the league this year, really that was a carry over from their form during the second half of 2012/2013 where they only lost 3 games.

So I think turning that around is the first challenge. Obviously I think Utd have a good chance of doing that quickly with LVG but it's not easy in my opinion.

Not worried about that. On the contrary, you get the feeling there is a real positive vibe from the fans and club going into this season. Really looking forward to it.
    I'd expect to be back in the top 4 next season, could do very well in the cup competitions.
    If we got a couple of world class players in, I think we could very well win the title back. fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Pretty jealous of Arsenal right now. Terrific signing. They have Sanchez on the wing we have Valencia/Nani. Huge gulf in class.

Just hoping the Di Maria rumours are true - no matter how far fetched they seem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'll be sick if Pogba joins Chelsea. Not only will he improve them even more, it means Vidal is almost certainly staying in Turin.

Ugh and Sanchez to Arsenal. I leave the phone at home for 2 hours....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hang on a minute, isn't The Equalisers office in London! You're up FutureGuy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'll be sick if Pogba joins Chelsea. Not only will he improve them even more, it means Vidal is almost certainly staying in Turin.

Ugh and Sanchez to Arsenal. I leave the phone at home for 2 hours....

I'd venture that if Pogba is in London, he's as likely to be meeting United representatives as guys from Chelsea.

Not worried about that. On the contrary, you get the feeling there is a real positive vibe from the fans and club going into this season. Really looking forward to it.
    I'd expect to be back in the top 4 next season, could do very well in the cup competitions.
    If we got a couple of world class players in, I think we could very well win the title back. fingers crossed.

Getting world class players in is easier said than done. They are few and far between.

• Advertisement

Getting world class players in is easier said than done. They are few and far between.

That's why I said "if". Always tough to get them in. But we have the money, so there's a good chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

We finished 7th with moyes aka anti football in charge things are gonna massively improve irregardless

That's why I said "if". Always tough to get them in. But we have the money, so there's a good chance.

Did Utd pass on Kroos and Fabregas or was their more to it? I would have thought both would have been ideal?

We need a star signing like the other clubs.

Chelsea = Fabregas.
    Arsenal = Sanchez.
    Liverpool = Lambert.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

There is not a snowballs chance in hell of us signing Pogba again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

**** Pogba, don't want him here again.

Sanchez is an unbelievable signing for Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Billy86 wrote: »
    He is a good player it painfully overrated in my opinion, never reached his potential since he just wasn't committed enough (which really grates with me, admitedly).

He scores at a good rate but his overall game is just lacking something to put him in the top tier, and he seems to become a little less explosive every year, which is what made him stand out in the first place. His touch and passing can leave a lot to be desired at times, and he seems to increasingly struggle against good (not even the best, but just good) opposition.

Last year his brace against Spurs and consolation goal against City in the 4-1 loss were his only goals against top 8-10 teams I think it was and his only two CL goals came against a very poor Leverkusen tean, for example. The year before he had a brace in the 3-2 win over City which was of course huge, but his only other goal against top half opposition was Chelsea in the FA Cup.

Maybe Louis will stick a rocket up his ar*e but otherwise he just doesn't seem bothered far too often for me, and increasingly so, and he really isn't talented enough to have that mentality (or that wage packet). At both #9 and #10 I can think of numerous players better than him at this point in time. He did fit quite well with Kanaka and Mata towards the end of last season though, so I guess there is some hope.

Is there a special forum where the Rooney critics get together to work out the best way to contort stats in order to criticise him? I've never read so many convoluted bullshít criticisms of a player's scoring record.

You only mention his scoring record against top half teams in the last two seasons because it fits the picture you want to paint. Go back one more season and he was banging them in against the top teams.

The talk about potential and explosiveness is unprovable waffle. The claims that he doesn't look bothered is laughable bollocks, he's usually one of the hardest working players on the pitch.

In terms of goal scoring, assisting and all around play Rooney is easily as good a CF as van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,370 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

We need a star signing like the other clubs.

Chelsea = Fabregas.
    Arsenal = Sanchez.
    Liverpool = Lambert.

What?
    The Kroos curtain will soon be pulled away and LVG will have his smug big balls moment :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Gutted, quality player :( Only 25 aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Julez wrote: »
    I thought it was Federico Macheda!

LVG "Where ish that bigsh, lumberingsh Buffoon, Fellaini? He needsh to get shold ASAPsh".

Fellaini: "No idea, boss. I am Federico Macehda and I would like to discuss about getting my contract renewed".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement