Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

He was just in London, probably shopping and now everyone thinks he's signing for Chelsea? come off it lads.

And where is Chelsea?

London.

Proofs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea fans be like:
    excited-gif_zps074b56e8.gif

United fans be like:
    what-is-happening.gif

Ed be like:
    ed-woodward-manchester-united-executive-vice-chairman_3046697.jpg?20131205092906
    "Don't worry, I got this"

Just popped in to contribute to a burning issue...I think Fellaini has still got the afro but it has been tied back/braided!

On Pogba; If Chelsea manage to sign him, we and everyone else will be in a race for 2nd spot next season. I'm a bit sick thinking about it, I don't really care about the fact that Chelsea will be a magnificent beast if they sign him, it's that there's no way Juventus will off-load both he and Vidal in the same window.

So in that case, I hope to fúck if Pogba is on the move it's back to Old Trafford he comes. Hopefully he's only in London to catch 'The Lion King' and a Chicken Club Sandwich from 'Garfunkels'.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

He was just in London, probably shopping and now everyone thinks he's signing for Chelsea? come off it lads.

He's signing for Arsenal, quelle surprise!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Imagine it was QPR. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Why are fans happy with just getting into top 4?

Last season most fans said they'd be happy challenging for the league and coming up short behind City or Chelsea.

Last season wasn't a true reflection of the players so I think getting 4th with the investment in the team is really not good enough.

Cause I think most of us are in touch with reality. If we challenge for the title great but top 4 is 5 the goal this season. Also last year a lot people said top 4 was a minimum and this season Moyes should be mounting a serious challenge.

LVG is taking over a squad lacking confidence and talent in key areas. If he addresses these issues with Vidal and say Hummels then yes we could be there or there abouts at the end of the season. Don't however expect miracles, with the number of senior players moving on this is a bigger disruption than Fergies retiring. We've lost Rio, Vidic, Giggs and now probably Evra. That's a lot of winners and experience to replace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

His bro plays in England right? Maybe he's visiting him.....in London....not off to Chelsea.....just looking at big Ben and the Queens gaff....right guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

That cute hoor knows something, i can feel it......... did i do that right ?

Ok I was wrong, the 'Fro is gone, here's a pic tweeted with his barber...

24gn53n.jpg

Good luck with the System Of A Down tribute band Marouane!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

stankratz wrote: »
    Ok I was wrong, the 'Fro is gone, here's a pic tweeted with his barber...

Good luck with the System Of A Down tribute band Marouane!

Any excuse...... :D

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Any excuse...... :D

Why'd ya leave the keys upon the table!!!

wqsv3b.jpg

Ok, sorry lads, I'm done now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The afro makes him look like a bit of a clown to be honest. Always hated it. If it is gone then maybe he wont look so awkward on the ball. Would love him to come good this year and prove he is worth keeping on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Fellaini has been poor but in fairness he is much better than Fletcher, Anderson or Cleverley and Carrick was poor last season. Hopefully next season he will come good i don't believe he is as bad as he looked this season. He actually looks short on confidence hopefully LVG can get the best out of him.

I can't understand people calling for him to be sold when out other options are very very very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Yeah I'd much rather sell Cleverley, Anderson, and Carrick before Fellaini. Carrick is just old now. Ando is pointless. Cleverley has been ruined.

Fellaini under Van Gaal may be a good thing. Certainly cant get much money for him right now so keep him on at least one season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Am I too late for the system of a down references?
    The one time my awfully chosen user name has any relevance in this the only thread on boards I ever use

Not at all late Kombucha, come right in and i'll put the kettle on, you take sugar??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

One sideshow of this whole Suarez transfer matter is that Barcelona's interest in Marco Reus has cooled considerably (I note he is also injured but still)

Could something happen there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Corvo wrote: »
    One sideshow of this whole Suarez transfer matter is that Barcelona's interest in Marco Reus has cooled considerably (I note he is also injured but still)

I don't think he was going to move this summer, injured or not. IF there is a chance of him being available, we should make a bid. Fabulous footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

"Marco Reus does not understand why after negotiating with his agent for months, Barca spent so much on Suarez instead". [Mundo]

Looks like he was all set to leave Dortmund.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

is he not out with an ACL or something long term

he's young so maybe a target for next summer when he's proven his fitness and is still the same quality of player

LVG might look at taking him and Strootman in january/summer 15 once we're back in europe with more games and strengthen the squad numbers and quality up to that standard of competition

We've a limited number of games this season so best to concentrate on a small squad and focus on getting back into the Champions League for 15/16 and it allows LVG time to decide which of the current squad he hasn't already cut is of the standard to push on and win titles at home and in europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Fellaini has been poor but in fairness he is much better than Fletcher, Anderson or Cleverley and Carrick was poor last season. Hopefully next season he will come good i don't believe he is as bad as he looked this season. He actually looks short on confidence hopefully LVG can get the best out of him.

I can't understand people calling for him to be sold when out other options are very very very poor.
    GSPfan wrote: »
    Yeah I'd much rather sell Cleverley, Anderson, and Carrick before Fellaini. Carrick is just old now. Ando is pointless. Cleverley has been ruined.

Fellaini under Van Gaal may be a good thing. Certainly cant get much money for him right now so keep him on at least one season.
    As central midfielders, all those players are better than him bar possibly Anderson, even Fletcher with the illness. Fellaini simply is not a good centre midfielder, nor even a passable one, for a team looking to play the ball on the round. The thin he struggled with most last season was a sheer lack of talent in so many aspects to fit into a midfield that requires passing or basic control, and there is no coaching that..

Sky Italia saying that PSG are planning to hijack any deal we do for Di Maria.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Billy86 wrote: »
    As central midfielders, all those players are better than him bar possibly Anderson, even Fletcher with the illness. Fellaini simply is not a good centre midfielder, nor even a passable one, for a team looking to play the ball on the round. The thin he struggled with most last season was a sheer lack of talent in so many aspects to fit into a midfield that requires passing or basic control, and there is no coaching that..

Fellaini is better CM than this Fletcher and Cleverley. I think Fellaini's role as #10 for Everton and for disjointed ManUtd has clouded many people's view on him.

Before he played as #10, he was a CM and a good one too. I hope he gets his chances with LVG. At least he deserves it more than Cleverley and Anderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

brinty wrote: »
    We've a limited number of games this season so best to concentrate on a small squad and focus on getting back into the Champions League for 15/16 and it allows LVG time to decide which of the current squad he hasn't already cut is of the standard to push on and win titles at home and in europe.

I'd rather United concentrated on winning the league and not just qualifying for the CL. This is United ffs. We need to be challenging for the title in the run in or else our season is a failure.

I wont be able to take another season of Liverpool finishing higher than United. Balance needs to be restored to the universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

zerks wrote: »
    Sky Italia saying that PSG are planning to hijack any deal we do for Di Maria.

I kinda hope they do. I really don't think we need him at all, the attacking power at the club is more than sufficient for our needs next season.

In my opinion every penny we have should be invested into the midfield and defence, with those areas massively strengthened you will see the likes of Nani and Kagawa become far more productive negating the need for the likes of Di Maria. Then think about players like that next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This is United ffs.

This doesn't mean anything, unfortunately. The club has faded into relative mediocrity before - there is no divine and magical force driving the club to the top of the table. There was, but he's retired now.

I have no doubt that with the following and commercial success the club has, United will get back to winning ways, but I don't know why people think that a season of turgid football and a 7th place football would, could or should be followed immediately by a title challenge.

It's time to accept the new reality methinks. 4th would be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ed better set my weekend of to a flyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It's time to accept the new reality methinks.

A bollix defeatist attitude and one I would be disgusted to find shared by anyone at the club.

A bollix defeatist attitude and one I would be disgusted to find shared by anyone at the club.

We aren't at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Marco Reus has an ankle injury, not an ACL.
    Bid for him, bookies have Arsenal favourites to sign him, United as second favourites.

Reus is 20+ goals in league per season. United scored 20 less goals in the league last season while conceding the same number of goals as our title winning season in 2012.

We aren't at the club.

Whats your point? THat after decades of success we should take 1 crap season as a pointer to the real position of the club and be happy with anything better? Utter BS imo.

Everyone connected with the club, fans included, should be aiming for the top, it is failure to do or achieve otherwise.

Even looking at it from a pure business standpoint - only City and Chelsea can match us (or beat us) financially in England, so finishing below 3rd is unacceptable given the budget the team is ran on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭weisses

This doesn't mean anything, unfortunately. The club has faded into relative mediocrity before - there is no divine and magical force driving the club to the top of the table. There was, but he's retired now.

I have no doubt that with the following and commercial success the club has, United will get back to winning ways, but I don't know why people think that a season of turgid football and a 7th place football would, could or should be followed immediately by a title challenge.

What changed between the last title and last season to warrant that pessimistic outlook ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United are looking to win the league. Have no doubt, they are spending money with this as the target.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Ed better set my weekend of to a flyer.

TheDoc logs in this evening:

RiLUmzT.gif

Whats your point? THat after decades of success we should take 1 crap season as a pointer to the real position of the club and be happy with anything better? Utter BS imo.

Everyone connected with the club, fans included, should be aiming for the top, it is failure to do or achieve otherwise.

Even looking at it from a pure business standpoint - only City and Chelsea can match us (or beat us) financially in England, so finishing below 3rd is unacceptable given the budget the team is ran on.
    weisses wrote: »
    What changed between the last title and last season to warrant that pessimistic outlook ?

Lads, it's not a pessimistic or defeatist attitude - it's realistic. There is absolutely no chance that United will win the league this year and you're deluding yourselves if you think otherwise.

Nowhere did I say that United, or the fans, shouldn't always want to be at the top. I'd have thought that goes without saying.

After a raft of changes at the club, all the experience being stripped from the club, a new manager coming in, and the worst season of football in my lifetime of supporting United, how could you possibly say "Well we should be winning it this year"? You're setting yourselves up for disappointment.

I'd rather enjoy the coming season by setting realistic goals and expectations. Getting back into the CL and having a good solid season will be a good jumping off point for what is hopefully a new era at the club.

I'm sure we'll have plenty of time for similar discussions over the next nine months when you're raging over the squad failing to meet your expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Liverpool jumped from 7th to 2nd after years without a title challenge.
    United had an absolutely terrible season last year. They were champions the year prior.
    You're awfully pessimistic if you think anyone at United is making 4th their target this season.

"The new reality" is that if United have one terrible season in 20+, they'll never recover? Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

poo poo.

no to other teams wanting what we want.

I still believe in Ed though, honestly.:D

"The new reality" is that if United have one terrible season in 20+, they'll never recover? Nonsense.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Today feels like a good kind of day. Wonder how things will progress over the next week. I'm on holidays from work, the UFC is in town next Saturday and the World Cup final is on this weekend. :pac:

Jeez lads a few weeks ago i got torn assunder for sugersting we should be aiming to win the league
    now i'm getting torn assunder for not wanting to win it
    Yes we are Manchester United and winning the league should be the absolute minimum target for us. I'm not saying i'd be happy to get champions league, i won't be. A title challenge is a must but lets not forget other clubs can and will buy players to improve.

I'd be happy if LVG works with a small squad for this season and brings in more quality next summer to push on.

poo poo.

no to other teams wanting what we want.

I still believe in Ed though, honestly.:D

What do you know???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭weisses

Lads, it's not a pessimistic or defeatist attitude - it's realistic. There is absolutely no chance that United will win the league this year and you're deluding yourselves if you think otherwise.

then coming back to my original question ...

What changed between the last title and last season ?

What key players left ?

Personally I think the points gap between 1st and 5th will be quite small this season, so to get top four you need to be aiming at the title, imo. If you aren't in the hunt for the title in March, you'll be too far off 4th place too.

What key players left ?

I don't understand the question? Alex Ferguson left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

brinty wrote: »
    What do you know???

Dont like this Pogba talk at all brinty

What key players left ?

Rio, Vidic, Evra (all but certain), Giggs, Scholes.

Replaced by...

No one, No one, Shaw, No one, Herrera.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I kinda hope they do. I really don't think we need him at all, the attacking power at the club is more than sufficient for our needs next season.

In my opinion every penny we have should be invested into the midfield and defence, with those areas massively strengthened you will see the likes of Nani and Kagawa become far more productive negating the need for the likes of Di Maria. Then think about players like that next season.

I agree with the sentiment when it comes to attackers. Just pay the money for Hummels and a proven midfielder.

When it comes to Di Maria specifically he is a creative dynamic player who can play in midfield three if it's Van Gaals plan. So he would play a big part in solving one of the problems while also allowing other options in where he can play to a high level. He is the perfect example of a player United should want if a smaller squad with more quality is desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Liverpool jumped from 7th to 2nd after years without a title challenge.
    United had an absolutely terrible season last year. They were champions the year prior.
    You're awfully pessimistic if you think anyone at United is making 4th their target this season.

I kinda see his point. The squad has been in decline for years and you could say we were dragged over the line by the best manager maybe the world has ever seen. Thats not going to happen again . Now were trying to attract top signings to fix our mediocre squad without the lure of champions league football . I dont by any means thi k we should settle for fourth but it may be the best we can achieve when you look at other clubs squads compared to ours , its an abyss of quality difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I've never known an unsuccessful United (spoiled rotten I tell ya!) but I'd take top 4 right now if it was offered. There has been so many changes to the club in the last 365+ days that I can't justifiably say we will win or even challenge for the title in a significant way this season.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic or overly cautions, and I hope I am, but that's how I feel.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement