Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

dor843088 wrote: »
    I kinda see his point. The squad has been in decline for years and you could say we were dragged over the line by the best manager maybe the world has ever seen. Thats not going to happen again . Now were trying to attract top signings to fix our mediocre squad without the lure of champions league football . I dont by any means thi k we should settle for fourth but it may be the best we can achieve when you look at other clubs squads compared to ours , its an abyss of quality difference.

we really didnt have a mediocre squad last season. Its a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

We're not winning a league with a backline that has Smalling, Jones and Rafael in it.

A bit of realism please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

I don't understand the question? Alex Ferguson left.

If I understand you correctly because of the departure of Ferguson United should settle for 4th despite bringing in a top coach and probably some good other signings ?

They win the title one year ... They are 7th the year after and all of a sudden they should settle for 4th ?

I don't see your logic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

hope im in right thread,

1.what do people think of the new united shirt, i think the logo is a bit big, would have liked to have had a classier car make but maybe im just a snob .

2. what do people think of the nike contract being finished end of next season , myself for one always hated nike kit , the rumour is adidas will take over, i love adidas design clothing , plus most of my favourite united kits were adidas.

please feel free to move if this is in wrong forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Dont like this Pogba talk at all brinty
    We need FutureGuy in here saying he's not signing for us and our guy on a plane ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Fellaini has been poor but in fairness he is much better than Fletcher, Anderson or Cleverley and Carrick was poor last season. Hopefully next season he will come good i don't believe he is as bad as he looked this season. He actually looks short on confidence hopefully LVG can get the best out of him.

I can't understand people calling for him to be sold when out other options are very very very poor.

We are not signing Vidal. I wish I was posting in jest. Pogba to Chelsea looks like a distinct possibility. Vidal will be a Juve player next year.

Rio, Vidic, Evra (all but certain), Giggs, Scholes.

Replaced by...

No one, No one, Shaw, No one, Herrera.

Where they gone already last season ?

Don't think so

And last time I checked the transfer window is still open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Would really love a United adidas shirt, have always preferred them, so hope that comes through with a sizeable increase in money to combat all the badger baiting Liverpool fans claiming we're just not as marketable anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We are not signing Vidal. I wish I was posting in jest. Pogba to Chelsea looks like a distinct possibility. Vidal will be a Juve player next year.

How does Pogba to Chelsea look a distinct possibility?

I`m not trying to be a smart arse or anything but all Ive seen is a photo of him in London. Is there other stuff I have missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

weisses wrote: »
    If I understand you correctly because of the departure of Ferguson United should settle for 4th despite bringing in a top coach and probably some good other signings ?

They win the title one year ... They are 7th the year after and all of a sudden they should settle for 4th ?

I don't see your logic

Right we'll leave it there so.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »

Future you need to tell us we're not signing Pogba???
    Its not going to happen is it...
    there's more chance i'll get with anna kendrick isn't there ;)

brinty wrote: »
    Future you need to tell us we're not signing Pogba???
    Its not going to happen is it...
    there's more chance i'll get with anna kendrick isn't there ;)

After what she was saying to you in the GIF the other day I'd say there's way more chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

hope im in right thread,

1.what do people think of the new united shirt, i think the logo is a bit big, would have liked to have had a classier car make but maybe im just a snob .

2. what do people think of the nike contract being finished end of next season , myself for one always hated nike kit , the rumour is adidas will take over, i love adidas design clothing , plus most of my favourite united kits were adidas.

please feel free to move if this is in wrong forum.

Classier car make???
    Who cares what make of car it is? If Dacia offer more money than Ferrari you go with Dacia.
    Anyway, Chevrolet make the Camaro, Impala etc. It's only this side of the Atlantic they peddle their sh*theaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Pogba visits London for a few days. The lad has family and friends living in England FFS. It doesn't mean he's signing for Chelsea. It doesn't mean he's signing for anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

TheDoc wrote: »
    Ed better set my weekend of to a flyer.

Whats happening ? .. I obviously missed something and can't seem to find whats going on..

Did we sign someone ? .. or about to sign someone ?

NeVeR wrote: »
    Whats happening ? .. I obviously missed something and can't seem to find whats going on..

I think it's because Pogba was in London yesterday and now people be goin' cray. ;) But maybe I missed something too.

After what she was saying to you in the GIF the other day I'd say there's way more chance!

I'm still recovering from that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Kew was giddy yesterday and he isnt telling us anything

Apparently Gary Neville said there won't be any revolution under LVG. Not unless we seven 7 or 8 players...
    He's really starting to annoy me, if true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

bumblebee-transformers-3-o.gif

Don't see Ferrari or Bentley doing this sh!t

But yeah get rid of the logo and the jersey is good to go :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

NTMK wrote: »
    Kew was giddy yesterday and he isnt telling us anything

Suspect he knows little but reads between the lines well from various media sources.
    Hopefully wrong......can't see why he wouldn't say if he or anyone else knew something solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

zerks wrote: »
    TheDoc logs in this evening:

RiLUmzT.gif

hahaha

WHATS HAPPENING THIS EVENING?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

adox wrote: »
    we really didnt have a mediocre squad last season. Its a myth.

We did though, a lot of mediocre players means a mediocre squad, and we have a lot of mediocre players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Apparently Gary Neville said there won't be any revolution under LVG. Not unless we seven 7 or 8 players...

He annoys me fullstop. I hate listening to him these days on Sky Sports.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't see your logic

In fairness, other clubs have strengthened in the year we weakened. Chelsea have already done great business and look to be doing more, City have done well over the last year, Arsenal are bringing in the right level of player. Those three will all easily still be in the top 4 next year. Pool, Spurs and Everton may all be there or there abouts, with at least 2 of them challenging for the 4th spot.

We're moving in the right direction, but it still seems arrogant to expect to leapfrog all 6 of those teams in a single year. We can hope so, and I'd personally hope that we'd be mounting a strong challenge for the title, but my minimum expectation would be to get Champions League football back and get rid of the "You cant get big players without CL football" stigma. We should easily be able to get past 2 of those 6. After that, I'd be happy, since it would show a significant improvement over where we were last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just implying I'd like a signing to set my weekend off,

I don't know anything, Kew is the prick tease around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Fellaini is better CM than this Fletcher and Cleverley. I think Fellaini's role as #10 for Everton and for disjointed ManUtd has clouded many people's view on him.

Before he played as #10, he was a CM and a good one too. I hope he gets his chances with LVG. At least he deserves it more than Cleverley and Anderson.
    I have to disagree on that, his best lay for Everton came as a #10 and there is no way you would see us play like that for a lot of reasons. His skillset is extremely limited beyond physicality and what little he does have does not fit CM (where he got games, and was horrific last season, and where he was brutal for Belgium in the WC until they forced him further up the pitch). Cleverley and Fletcher can complete a five yard pass with some con's stench, they have a first touch that does not require three full seconds before taking their second touch on even the most basic of balls, and their default tackle is not to literally clatter into whoever has the ball which is begging the ref for a foul/card against you. These are the absolute staples of Fellainis game and why he is just not a midfielder for any decent team. None of this is necessarily a compliment for post illness Fletcher or Cleverley on last season's form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just implying I'd like a signing to set my weekend off,

I don't know anything, Kew is the prick tease around here.

ah i see..

Ya i've seen him do this before..

i'll check back later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Headshot wrote: »

He's still in a sulk from the Moyes debacle and him getting the boot.

He's still in a sulk from the Moyes debacle and him getting the boot.

you're mixing your Nevilles up

• Advertisement

I don't see your logic

I think we had the best team/squad in Europe in 2008. But that team gradually broke down (as all teams do), with players aging, some leaving and being replaced by lower quality, others getting injury after injury. By 2012 the squad looked on its last legs to me. Yes, we continued our success, but eventually things were going to break down because of the gradual rot that had set in, and not buying in sufficient quality in certain areas.
    All it would take is one major jolt to send us sliding down the table. Fergie, Gill and Scholes leaving at the same time was quite a jolt.

Last season was a disaster. But I feel if we get one world class CM in along with a decent CB with experience, we can be challenging this year. We might not win it, but we'll be up there, and firmly on the way back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I'm expecting good news within the next couple of days about a player joining

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He's denying saying it.

Gary Neville ‏@GNev2 12m
    For clarity I never said or think United need to sign 7-9 players or that England had a good World Cup! Appreciate your understanding. Haha

Gary Neville ‏@GNev2 4m I actually think 3 more of the right quality would be a good summer. CB/ CM / Wide MDF.

He seems to think the same as everyone on here.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    In fairness, other clubs have strengthened in the year we weakened. Chelsea have already done great business and look to be doing more, City have done well over the last year, Arsenal are bringing in the right level of player. Those three will all easily still be in the top 4 next year. Pool, Spurs and Everton may all be there or there abouts, with at least 2 of them challenging for the 4th spot.

We're moving in the right direction, but it still seems arrogant to expect to leapfrog all 6 of those teams in a single year. We can hope so, and I'd personally hope that we'd be mounting a strong challenge for the title, but my minimum expectation would be to get Champions League football back and get rid of the "You cant get big players without CL football" stigma. We should easily be able to get past 2 of those 6. After that, I'd be happy, since it would show a significant improvement over where we were last year.

I just cannot understand why you can win the title one year and with little change to the squad end up 7th the following season other then then mentally not being up to it . I understand other teams did sign players but that doesn't explain a gap of 7 places imo

RvP was on fire the year ManU won the title to me that made the difference

The same players that won the title performed way below their capabilities the following season. So if the right coach with a few good signings get them to play to their normal standard again I don't see why they cannot go for the title again this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Headshot wrote: »

Love listening to him. His knowledge of the game is excellent.
    Gives a great insight into how them game is played from a technical point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

This doesn't mean anything, unfortunately. The club has faded into relative mediocrity before - there is no divine and magical force driving the club to the top of the table. There was, but he's retired now.

I have no doubt that with the following and commercial success the club has, United will get back to winning ways, but I don't know why people think that a season of turgid football and a 7th place football would, could or should be followed immediately by a title challenge.

It's time to accept the new reality methinks. 4th would be grand.

No way should any utd fan say fourth would be grand before a ball is kicked that means you would be happy for our two biggest rivals to finish above us thats David Moyes mentality thats what had us in seventh place last year.

Accept mediocrity thats what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Billy86 wrote: »
    I have to disagree on that, his best lay for Everton came as a #10 and there is no way you would see us play like that for a lot of reasons. His skillset is extremely limited beyond physicality and what little he does have does not fit CM (where he got games, and was horrific last season, and where he was brutal for Belgium in the WC until they forced him further up the pitch). Cleverley and Fletcher can complete a five yard pass with some con's stench, they have a first touch that does not require three full seconds before taking their second touch on even the most basic of balls, and their default tackle is not to literally clatter into whoever has the ball which is begging the ref for a foul/card against you. These are the absolute staples of Fellainis game and why he is just not a midfielder for any decent team. None of this is necessarily a compliment for post illness Fletcher or Cleverley on last season's form.

Fellaini played the majority of his career in a cm role and was very good. His best season came playing as number 10 no doubt. If you think he has got 50 odd caps for Belgium and been a regular in Everton's midfield for years despite being so poor i would say you have not watched him much besides last season.

Cleverley can't pass the ball forward as limited as they come.
    Fletcher while a decent player in the past can't play regularly anymore.

To suggest these players are a better cm at this point is just nonsense and your dislike for Fellaini is clouding your judgement.

Is he a great cm well i think he is better than we seen last season he didn't know his role and he was shot of confidence. But for one thing for sure Cleverley, Anderson, Fletcher and an aging Carrick should be out the door before him.

He is from a great midfielder and it is worrying to say he is our best cm at the club besides Herrera. That is not saying he is very good it is saying Cleverley and Fletcher are lower premier league class players.

No way should any utd fan say fourth would be grand before a ball is kicked that means you would be happy for our two biggest rivals to finish above us thats David Moyes mentality thats what had us in seventh place last year.

If you could PM me the link to the list of opinions I'm allowed to hold as a United fan that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

If Chelsea sign Pogba , Fabregas and Costa and Arsenal have signed Sanchez plus maybe Khedira I think I'll put my head back into the sand...

Will make Herrera and Shaw less inspiring , we really need a Hummels and or Marco Reus , a Vidal something really world class to compete with that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If you could PM me the link to the list of opinions I'm allowed to hold as a United fan that would be great.

1. United should always be battling at the top.
    2. 4th place is a minimum target, not a success.

There's a start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Cleverley can't pass the ball forward as limited as they come.

To suggest these players are a better cm at this point is just nonsense and your dislike for Fellaini is clouding your judgement.

Had to snip a lot of your post but you can't really tell another poster off about judging Fellaini on last season or allowing dislike cloud their view of a player when you do the same with Cleverley.

Watch him the two previous seasons and while he was no Xavier or iniesta he played a vastly different role and was more dynamic in his play than just standing needs Carrick and passing sideways like Moyes had him playing. He expressed his own frustration with it last season.

1. United should always be battling at the top.
    2. 4th place is a minimum target, not a success.

There's a start.

I'll work on it Mitch but I guess I'm just a bad fan. :pac:

I think we had the best team/squad in Europe in 2008. But that team gradually broke down (as all teams do), with players aging, some leaving and being replaced by lower quality, others getting injury after injury. By 2012 the squad looked on its last legs to me. Yes, we continued our success, but eventually things were going to break down because of the gradual rot that had set in, and not buying in sufficient quality in certain areas.
    All it would take is one major jolt to send us sliding down the table. Fergie, Gill and Scholes leaving at the same time was quite a jolt.

Last season was a disaster. But I feel if we get one world class CM in along with a decent CB with experience, we can be challenging this year. We might not win it, but we'll be up there, and firmly on the way back.

The only player left from the 07/08 final is Rooney say's it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Accept mediocrity thats what you get.

This is nonsense, the aim this season has to be getting back into champions league. The current squad right now could achieve this possibly. Two or three more then top 4 is a minimum with a possible tilt at the title. Nobody is saying we shouldn't AIM for the title but expecting it is arrogant considering our current situation.

For the first time in a few years I am really excited about a new season and seeing us play a good brand of football. Part of this excitement is the unknown and also slightly lower expectations than we had under Fergie. Nobody is accepting mediocrity but rather our current reality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

The only player left from the 07/08 final is Rooney say's it all really.

Not to be a pain, but.....

Carrick?
    Anderson?
    Nani?

Al Capwned wrote: »

Carrick?
    Anderson?
    Nani?

Evans

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Had to snip a lot of your post but you can't really tell another poster off about judging Fellaini on last season or allowing dislike cloud their view of a player when you do the same with Cleverley.

Watch him the two previous seasons and while he was no Xavier or iniesta he played a vastly different role and was more dynamic in his play than just standing needs Carrick and passing sideways like Moyes had him playing. He expressed his own frustration with it last season.

Where did i say i am basing my opinion of Cleverley from last season. Go back look at my posts from years ago i thought McCarthy outshone him at Wigan and he was a more complete player. Barring the first 6 games of the season a few years ago he has never shown himself more than anything more than a mid table player. In those 6 games Anderson was the better player and driving force of the midfield.

All Cleverley does is drop deep get to ball pass it back to the cb and run away from the ball leaving the defence deeper and having to hoof the ball because they are closed down quicker. He can't pass forward, he can;t run forward, he doesn't assist and he doesn't score goals. He is one of the most limited midfielders i have seen at United if he wasn;t English or came through the academy he would be with someone like Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'll work on it Mitch but I guess I'm just a bad fan. :pac:

My issue with what you said this morning is that we should accept the new reality that 4th place is what we can hope for.

I fully accept we should not EXPECT to win the title, and being honest I would take 4th place and decent cup runs right now, to built towards the following seasons.

However, I don't agree that 4th place is all we can realistically hope for. With the right coaching and tactics I certainly don't believe Liverpool and Arsenal are far better off than us - especially if we make a further 2 or 3 key signings. City and Chelsea may be far better than us on paper, but I don't agree that Arsenal or Liverpool are. The performance difference last season was down to a number of factors, and I don't think our players simply being crap is either the biggest reason or the even all that true. There are quality problems in the squad, which I hope United and LVG are going to address this summer (or go a long way towards doing), but I don't think the task is as massive as you seem to suggest.

We have a few things going for us this season coming:

1. No CL football - less games, more time to prepare and rest, benifitted Liverpool a lot last season, imo.
    2. A far better manager. More tactically astute and authoritive in style - we won't be 'trying to make things difficult' for Newcastle, at home.
    3. Our new manager may not lose the dressing room by October, making the season and ongoing disaster.

Other issues like our left back actually defending, our midfield being able to control and pass the ball (especially if we sign another player to play beside Herrera). Maybe better integration or performances from Mata and RVP. An improvement from Januzaj.

It is not going to be an easy season - as I said earlier I think the top four/five are going to be very tight this season, it will be a big battle.

It simply boils down to the fact I think saying the reality of United is now 4th is a successful season is bollix. It would be an acceptable one, right now, but not a successful one.

Al Capwned wrote: »

Carrick?
    Anderson?
    Nani?

That's what you get when you listen to things on twitter total brainfart. Maybe it was Rooney is the only player left from the team who started the final.

• Advertisement

Liverpool went from 7th to challenging for the league so no reason Utd can't. However that was after a season of the managers way of playing transferring over to the players and new signings bedding in. Sometimes this can take a while.

If you hit the ground running however who knows.

I'd expect Utd to be challenging again. City and particularly Chelsea imo are the ones to catch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement