Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

duffman13 wrote: »
    This is nonsense, the aim this season has to be getting back into champions league. The current squad right now could achieve this possibly. Two or three more then top 4 is a minimum with a possible tilt at the title. Nobody is saying we shouldn't AIM for the title but expecting it is arrogant considering our current situation.

For the first time in a few years I am really excited about a new season and seeing us play a good brand of football. Part of this excitement is the unknown and also slightly lower expectations than we had under Fergie. Nobody is accepting mediocrity but rather our current reality!

The aim every season should be to win every competition we are in anything else is a failure aim high if you dont win so be it but dont go into a competition saying ah sure top four is grand.

What about Fa cup what round would you be happy to go out in that ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If Arsenal sign a top class striker and midfielder then they will go close for the title imo.

Unless big signings are made i can't see us challenging for the title. Now Vidal or Hummels would change things but at the moment out central defence and central midfield is not good enough to win the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Liverpool went from 7th to challenging for the league so no reason Utd can't. However that was after a season of the managers way of playing transferring over to the players and new signings bedding in. Sometimes this can take a while.

No ****... You'll need bigger sample size for this to possible.

After last season I just want 4th as a minimum and the FA Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

brinty wrote: »
    you're mixing your Nevilles up

I'm not, Gary wasn't happy that Moyes got the boot and blamed the players, hence the United need 7-8 players.

Edit: Seen the tweets he never said 7-8 players.

The aim every season should be to win every competition we are in anything else is a failure aim high if you dont win so be it but dont go into a competition saying ah sure top four is grand.

So what we tell LVG if he doesn't win the league next season he has failed? GEt a bit of a reality check Arsenal, City and Chelsea are ahead of us getting 4th next season would be acceptable imo.

Make a few decent signings, filter out the deadwood and next summer with Champions league and LVG we could attract world class players. I would be happy with 4th this season and a title challenge next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Are you consistently going to make assumptions? So we have been a failure every year since the beginning of time going by your standards. I didn't say top 4 was grand, do you think the current group right now could win the league? Not aim or want to win it but actually win it?

FA Cup we will be In with a shout depending on the draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Nuts102 wrote: »
    The only player left from the 07/08 final is Rooney say's it all really.

That match was over 6 years ago
    squads turnover in those time frames

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

My issue with what you said this morning is that we should accept the new reality that 4th place is what we can hope for.

I fully accept we should not EXPECT to win the title, and being honest I would take 4th place and decent cup runs right now, to built towards the following seasons.

However, I don't agree that 4th place is all we can realistically hope for. With the right coaching and tactics I certainly don't believe Liverpool and Arsenal are far better off than us - especially if we make a further 2 or 3 key signings. City and Chelsea may be far better than us on paper, but I don't agree that Arsenal or Liverpool are. The performance difference last season was down to a number of factors, and I don't think our players simply being crap is either the biggest reason or the even all that true. There are quality problems in the squad, which I hope United and LVG are going to address this summer (or go a long way towards doing), but I don't think the task is as massive as you seem to suggest.

We have a few things going for us this season coming:

1. No CL football - less games, more time to prepare and rest, benifitted Liverpool a lot last season, imo.
    2. A far better manager. More tactically astute and authoritive in style - we won't be 'trying to make things difficult' for Newcastle, at home.
    3. Our new manager may not lose the dressing room by October, making the season and ongoing disaster.

Other issues like our left back actually defending, our midfield being able to control and pass the ball (especially if we sign another player to play beside Herrera). Maybe better integration or performances from Mata and RVP. An improvement from Januzaj.

It is not going to be an easy season - as I said earlier I think the top four/five are going to be very tight this season, it will be a big battle.

It simply boils down to the fact I think saying the reality of United is now 4th is a successful season is bollix. It would be an acceptable one, right now, but not a successful one.

I wish you'd just said this in the first instance, because it makes for interesting discussion.

Firstly I'd say that this:
    I fully accept we should not EXPECT to win the title, and being honest I would take 4th place and decent cup runs right now, to built towards the following seasons.

Is what I was actually saying. So we're not a million miles from being in agreement.

Some people appear to have taken it up as something akin to "United will never be a top team agains so stop acting like it", which is absolutely not what I was getting at. When I said "new reality", I wasn't suggesting that henceforth United will be the new Arsenal, I was saying that right now 4th wouldn't be a bad outcome, and indeed is probably a realistic target. That's all.

I think we can all agree that 4th is better than 7th. It would be a good stepping stone to getting back to winning ways after what is the biggest shake-up and worst season most of us have seen. As it stands, we are not guaranteed to be involved in a title battle, as we were used to for 20 odd years under SAF. That's what I meant by the "new reality", that fans should adjust their expectations (not hopes) accordingly, for their own sake if they want to enjoy the coming season.

I agree that there are things going for United this season, but I also think that a title win is completely unrealistic this year and that by expecting Van Gaal to pull that off, you're likely to end up hating him by the time next May rolls around. Because he probably won't pull that off. That doesn't mean he won't do it next year, or the one after though.

What I'd like to see is what we didn't see under Moyes, a team that is constantly gelling and improving over the season, with an obvious plan in place. A hungry team that wants to win and believes it can. Back in the Champions League with the foundations laid for World Domination in the years after. That will be a good season as far as I'm concerned and it doesn't necessitate a title challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I'm not, Gary wasn't happy that Moyes got the boot and blamed the players, hence the United need 7-8 players.

Edit: Seen the tweets he never said 7-8 players.

Man, I still shake my head in disbelief and astonishment that David Moyes got the United Job, what dafuq were they thinking?

I treat last season like that season of Dallas when Bobby Ewing reappeared from the shower and it was all just a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I think Vidal and Hummels would definitely catapult us back in to title contention. I don't really like slating David Moyes, but I genuinely think he had a terrible effect on the team last year, and I sincerely doubt the players's hearts were ever really in it, under him. I think that will change under LvG, and with another good midfielder and a top centre back, I think we're definitely in with a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Fellaini has been poor but in fairness he is much better than Fletcher, Anderson or Cleverley and Carrick was poor last season. Hopefully next season he will come good i don't believe he is as bad as he looked this season. He actually looks short on confidence hopefully LVG can get the best out of him.

I can't understand people calling for him to be sold when out other options are very very very poor.

Fletcher is a far better player than Fellaini.

On a cost relative to quality basis, Fellaini is one of the worst players I've ever seen. Not quite in the David Luiz bracket, but on similar lines.

I read on Twitter that MUTV will only be going HD on sky and not on UPC.

I'm on UPC myself. Was hoping the pre season games would be in HD.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Where did i say i am basing my opinion of Cleverley from last season. Go back look at my posts from years ago i thought McCarthy outshone him at Wigan and he was a more complete player. Barring the first 6 games of the season a few years ago he has never shown himself more than anything more than a mid table player. In those 6 games Anderson was the better player and driving force of the midfield.

All Cleverley does is drop deep get to ball pass it back to the cb and run away from the ball leaving the defence deeper and having to hoof the ball because they are closed down quicker. He can't pass forward, he can;t run forward, he doesn't assist and he doesn't score goals. He is one of the most limited midfielders i have seen at United if he wasn;t English or came through the academy he would be with someone like Stoke.

No you are right, the opinions isn't just on last season sorry about that.

The summary and criticism of his style of play only applies to last season though. Before Moyes got hold of him he was more effective and ambitious in his play. He was very good linking with Carrick and the attack the season before and there was little wrong with his style of play.

Not getting forward, not passing it forward and dropping deep to the centre backs before running away is contrary to what he did before Moyes.

His fitness and physical strength have repeatedly let him down though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Wouldn't mind Puma taking up the kits next year, Arsenal ones are very nice.

bullvine wrote: »
    Man, I still shake my head in disbelief and astonishment that David Moyes got the United Job, what dafuq were they thinking?

I treat last season like that season of Dallas when Bobby Ewing reappeared from the shower and it was all just a dream.

Fergie power got him the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind Puma taking up the kits next year, Arsenal ones are very nice.

The " Big Boned " people here are against the idea /( . )\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If Arsenal sign a top class striker and midfielder then they will go close for the title imo.

Unless big signings are made i can't see us challenging for the title. Now Vidal or Hummels would change things but at the moment out central defence and central midfield is not good enough to win the league.

This happens every year.

Their midfield as normal will get decimated with injuries, Wenger won't have signed sufficent cover for his midfielder and strikers, and they will fall off when it comes to the business end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Imo Gary Neville has lost some of his appeal since he's got involved with the England squad.

He was far more forthright when he'd loyalty to no one (he had some bias towards utd but we didn't care)

Same thing happened to Liam Brady as well to be fair. Gary's popularity as a pundit is falling rapidly these days.

Can't criticise anyone other than English players and retain credibility as an impartial pundit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

1. United should always be battling at the top.
    2. 4th place is a minimum target, not a success.

There's a start.

4th place with the squad we have, especially our backline is optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

4th place at least, and a trophy (League Cup/FA Cup) would be a great season given we just finsihed 7th and won nothing.

Build our way back up gradually. LvG's style of play will not click with players in the space of 4(?) weeks of pre-season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

4th place with the squad we have, especially our backline is optimistic.

No its not.

We can do this all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sky bet:
    TRANSFER ODDS Manchester United look like they are closing in on signing Argentina World Cup star Angel Di Maria. The Real Madrid man is now to join the Old Trafford club.

I'll wait until he's in a United jersey before taking that bet.

zerks wrote: »
    Sky bet:

I'll wait until he's in a United jersey before taking that bet.

Funny feeling he could be this years Snjeider.

Also, Pogba has been photographed in London. Must be stopping off before heading up Manchester! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sky bet always do that crap.

Suarez finally gone from the PL. Hopefully Liverpool won't be able to sustain top 4 again without him.

Compare our backline to that of any of the top 4... and we could out at a major disadvantage. Our midfield needs another top class player to even compete with the likes of City and Chelsea.

I understand that we should abide by our own high standards, but we should accept that we don't really have the foundations/resources to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

RasTa wrote: »
    Sky bet always do that crap.

Suarez finally gone from the PL. Hopefully Liverpool won't be able to sustain top 4 again without him.

Especially since they seem to be focusing on Wilfried Bony as his replacement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭weisses

I think Januzaj could have a good impact this season with LvG as manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Asked about United's interest during the World Cup Cavani said: "In football you never know. Anything can happen.

"One day you're in one team and they next day you can be in another."

The 27-year-old is unhappy at having to play second fiddle to Zlatan Ibrahimovic in Paris and would reportedly want assurances that he wouldn't find himself in a similar situation with Robin van Persie or Wayne Rooney.

And French paper Le10Sport believes that situation could be avoided in part with PSG keen to take Rooney back in part-exchange.

I know it's from The Express so most likely bollix..........speaking of bollix,The Star is running with Wellbeck to Madrid as a replacement for Morata.

Would really like Di Maria but for the money he would cost you could get a top class cb and cm which is far more important.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    I know it's from The Express so most likely bollix..........speaking of bollix,The Star is running with Wellbeck to Madrid as a replacement for Morata.

What does he think he would be doing at United he would be third fiddle behind RVP and Rooney.

Suarez gone...
    Liverpool are suddenly a lot less likely to challenge for top 4
    last season he was the difference for them as they beat the teams in the botom half where the always dropped points in previous years
    there signings haven't been exceptional as yet its like tottenham with the bale money last season..
    Everton haven't strengthened
    now lets focus on toppling the other 3

Sturridge without him doesn't look all that menacing. He did the squareroot of FA at the World Cup.

Stolen from facebook.

Liverpool have gone from SAS to LOL (Lallana, Origi, Lambert) :pac:

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Stolen from facebook.

MAGIC ;)

Stolen from facebook.

Of course, they're also SHÍT (Sterling, Henderson, Ibe, Toure) :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Cue the usual lads from the pool thread to try and take some anger out here.

Well lets get it started ill go with the great one

"United are finished"

Pre-emptive giffage.

aggr.gif

Pre-emptive giffage.

not enough Kendrick or Upton in that Magic...
    there's rules around here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Liverpool's forward line will certainly be lacking bite next season.

xk.gif

Anna is all mine. MINE. You can have J-Law, but not Anna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

tumblr_m6m84xs1Mn1rz30yho1_r1_250.gif

Kate's reaction to the departure of the little biting racist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

xk.gif

Anna is all mine. MINE. You can have J-Law, but not Anna.

jennifer-lawrence-6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Lads, the GIFS, seriously.....

Much better Magic
    I fogot those rules also extend to J-law.
    how did i forget that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Meh, keep all previously posted.... Sorry Corvo. :pac:

giphy.gif

Corvo wrote: »
    Lads, the GIFS, seriously.....

Great aren't they

Imagine a front 3 of Kendrick J-law and Upton....
    Thats one hell of a set of strikers..
    any combination of them would make a great pair up front....

Sign em up Czar....

he could show them his massive balls then ;)

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Meh, keep all previously posted....

Your barred ....
    oh the humanity...
    won't someone think of the children...
    too much led in her arse...
    I'd prefer Welbeck or Fellaini up front

Whatever about gifs, jaysus lads, Anna Kendrick. My God Almighty.

Whatever about gifs, jaysus lads, Anna Kendrick. My God Almighty.

What are you trying to say...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement