Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bangkok wrote: »
    yes because spain have better players playing... ie iniesta xavi silva etc. Portugal have nobody really

Ireland had nobody but Trappatoni ignored Coleman and McCarthy for a long time. Its not as black and white as you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

beno619 wrote: »
    This.

I've noticed most of the larger nations have stuck with experience rather than possible form/young players.

Exactly, and Spain and Portugal suffered badly. Holland had a mix of youth and experience and it paid off.
    Going with your biggest names instead of a well balanced 'team' can backfire. England do it all the time and suffer because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Seaneh wrote: »
    France being the obvious exception, they've picked kids like Sakho, Varane, Pogba and Griezmann in key areas.

kids sakho and greizemann?? 24 and 23 I would consider a kid a young 17 year old Michael owen or an 18 year old ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

beno619 wrote: »
    Khedira is the most limited player in the German and Real Madrid squads I'd hope we wouldn't go near him especially at the sums being quoted for him.

We have enough limited players in our squad as it is.We don't need another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Being the most limited player in the German international team isn't that much of a slight on the man. Carrick is done and shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, he had a good season about 2 years ago, but when he returned from injury last season he was terrible again. Time to get rid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

We definitely need a right full too, it's crazy that for the last 2 seasons we have being playing right wingers and centre backs as cover for Rafael ..... definitely need a signing for proper cover. Need a centre mid and a centre back oh and a decent winger too............. With LVG reputation regarding attention to detail...... hard to believe he's not working on signings in the background..... anyways 1st July is the kick off day for transfers....

secman

zerks wrote: »
    We have enough limited players in our squad as it is.We don't need another.

Some would consider Khedira limited. Some would consider Mertesacker a limited player. Still, both started for the best team in the world yesterday. They played well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Every great team needs a few 'limited' players if that's what you want to call someone like Khedira...it aint just a matter of putting 11 star names on a team sheet, I'd bet there will still be a few of the more unfashionable United players still getting regular games next season quite simply because they fit LVGs idea of a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Some would consider Khedira limited. Some would consider Mertesacker a limited player. Still, both started for very arguably the best team in the world yesterday. They played well too.

FYP :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

LVG has a rep for trusting and using youth players, so been wondering who (if any) could benifit from this.

Sam Johnstone is very highly rated in nets - he won't be taking DDGs place, but he could be taking Lindegaards. Lindegaard has terrible distribution, so I can see him being cast aside, LVG rates distribution very high on his keeper check list. I think Amos could be a good backup for us either, but I can see him leaving for first team football.

In defence I would think Michael Keane, Saidy Janko and Varella are the ones with the best/any chance of getting some sort of look in this season. In the case of Janko and Varella, mainly cause they are the only other right backs at the club near the first team, bar Rafael. Both rated highly at the club - Janko was used more so as a Valencia (of old) type winger (powerful, direct) last season but I personally believe that was likely just to try to improve his attacking game rather than retraining to a new position. Keane has a chance if we only sign 1 CB, given the injury records. Has come on massively in the last two seasons, and could be a good backup. Reads the game very well and gets stuck in. Was extremely impressed with him vs Chelsea a couple of seasons ago, and he has done very well on loan.

Ben Pearson - central midfielder, kinda like Paul Scholes in a way, who he is compared to a lot. Small, loves a tackle and good on the ball. Nowhere near as good as Paul Scholes was, and a little bit old to make great strides imo, but another that is highly rated. Not affriad of getting stuck in. I have read many comparisons to Scholes, but I would say he is more similar to the player Nicky Butt would have been at his best. I think the Scholes stuff comes more so from stature and being born in Oldham rather than ability.

Wilson - cracking talent, and I can see LVG giving him a look. Quick feet, deadly instincts, quality finisher. Needs to grow, but that will come with time.

Periera is another that often gets lauded on MUTV, but i don't see it myself. He is an AMC with good skills, but I have never seen him dominate a game, always seems on the edge of it. He has the skills, but i don't know if he has the attitude or potential.

We then also have Powell and Zaha - I have no idea what is going to happen with either. I reckon they will go on tour, and a decision will be made after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Powell is an interesting decision to be made. Came on the wave of a lot of hype, has done well on loan and scored a lot of goals. But looks like he was playing more as a striker/ 10 then as a CM.

Anyone been actively keeping tabs on him? I catch the highlights every now and again, but we made a lot of effort to get him, just wondering if it was effort wasted.

Zaha unless he makes a miraculous turnaround in attitude can pretty much stay away to be frank. I'll never understand people being given the chance to play a big club, squandering it. Just goes to show that horrible attitude that exists in teen footballers. Saw it all the time at Irish level.

LVG has a rep for trusting and using youth players, so been wondering who (if any) could benifit from this.

Sam Johnstone is very highly rated in nets - he won't be taking DDGs place, but he could be taking Lindegaards. Lindegaard has terrible distribution, so I can see him being cast aside, LVG rates distribution very high on his keeper check list. I think Amos could be a good backup for us either, but I can see him leaving for first team football.

In defence I would think Michael Keane, Saidy Janko and Varella are the ones with the best/any chance of getting some sort of look in this season. In the case of Janko and Varella, mainly cause they are the only other right backs at the club near the first team, bar Rafael. Both rated highly at the club - Janko was used more so as a Valencia (of old) type winger (powerful, direct) last season but I personally believe that was likely just to try to improve his attacking game rather than retraining to a new position. Keane has a chance if we only sign 1 CB, given the injury records. Has come on massively in the last two seasons, and could be a good backup. Reads the game very well and gets stuck in. Was extremely impressed with him vs Chelsea a couple of seasons ago, and he has done very well on loan.

Ben Pearson - central midfielder, kinda like Paul Scholes in a way, who he is compared to a lot. Small, loves a tackle and good on the ball. Nowhere near as good as Paul Scholes was, and a little bit old to make great strides imo, but another that is highly rated. Not affriad of getting stuck in. I have read many comparisons to Scholes, but I would say he is more similar to the player Nicky Butt would have been at his best. I think the Scholes stuff comes more so from stature and being born in Oldham rather than ability.

Wilson - cracking talent, and I can see LVG giving him a look. Quick feet, deadly instincts, quality finisher. Needs to grow, but that will come with time.

Periera is another that often gets lauded on MUTV, but i don't see it myself. He is an AMC with good skills, but I have never seen him dominate a game, always seems on the edge of it. He has the skills, but i don't know if he has the attitude or potential.

We then also have Powell and Zaha - I have no idea what is going to happen with either. I reckon they will go on tour, and a decision will be made after that.

Janko would be better on the wing than young, zaga and Valencia in my opinion. Lawrence, Pearson and Wilson could all do with a season on loan, but all 3 could ultimately make it at united.
    Powell is very talented, but plays in a position that we are well stocked in. Maybe he can convert to a deeper role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Janko would be better on the wing than young, zaga and Valencia in my opinion. Lawrence, Pearson and Wilson could all do with a season on loan, but all 3 could ultimately make it at united.
    Powell is very talented, but plays in a position that we are well stocked in. Maybe he can convert to a deeper role?

Completely disagree re Janko.

He looks an ok winger at U21 level, and mainly that is because he is a lot more powerful than the full backs he is up against, so just goes through them. He shows little skill and his strength would not be the same asset against PL defenders as it would U21 defenders.

I think Lawerence might be on his way already, certainly heard rumours around his debut that he would be leaving.

Would agree with loans for Pearson and Wilson, but I reckon Wilson is more likely to be kept around than Pearson. Rated very highly and I think United/Giggs/LVG will want to keep a very close eye on his training and development.

Completely disagree re Janko.

He looks an ok winger at U21 level, and mainly that is because he is a lot more powerful than the full backs he is up against, so just goes through them. He shows little skill and his strength would not be the same asset against PL defenders as it would U21 defenders.

I think Lawerence might be on his way already, certainly heard rumours around his debut that he would be leaving.

Would agree with loans for Pearson and Wilson, but I reckon Wilson is more likely to be kept around than Pearson. Rated very highly and I think United/Giggs/LVG will want to keep a very close eye on his training and development.

Not saying janko is world class, just better than zaha, young and Valencia ;) and there is a lot of time to improve, especially with the benefit of being with the first team.
    Re: Wilson, could well be kept at the club if Chico leaves.
    An interesting summer ahead. Still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Not saying janko is world class, just better than zaha, young and Valencia ;) and there is a lot of time to improve, especially with the benefit of being with the first team.

Zaha, Young and Valencia are far superior players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Zaha should be given a chance this pre season , He's definitely got some ability in there ,a decent pre season and maybe a good loan and he could be back competing for a place in 15/16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

ericzeking wrote: »
    Every great team needs a few 'limited' players if that's what you want to call someone like Khedira...it aint just a matter of putting 11 star names on a team sheet, I'd bet there will still be a few of the more unfashionable United players still getting regular games next season quite simply because they fit LVGs idea of a team.

But there are players who do a similar job while being more technically proficient , it's criminal the lack of ability in our midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I believe he starts for Belgium with Vertonghen moved out to Lb.

Belgium starting XI vs Algeria: Courtois; Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Kompany, Vertonghen; Witsel, Dembele, De Bruyne; Hazard, Chadli, Lukaku.

Daniel Van Buyten is in the Belgium starting team over Vermaelen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No Fellaini!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

bullvine wrote: »
    No Fellaini!

or januzaj :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Both on the bench

or januzaj :mad:

And rightly so, didnt deserve to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

beakerjoe wrote: »

I think they were mental to select him "I'll only declare for belgium if they pick me for the world cup" fupp off so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Janko's best position is rb. If Utd want to give him a bit of first team action it should be at rb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Was hoping a good world cup would bring Fellaini's confidence back that looks unlikely now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Strange that Chadli is in. Had an awful season tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was hoping it would be easier to sell him but once again its unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Was hoping a good world cup would bring Fellaini's confidence back that looks unlikely now.

They're just protecting him for the knockouts. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

ha why not? one of the best young players in the world

I think they were mental to select him "I'll only declare for belgium if they pick me for the world cup" fupp off so.

Reminded me of the rumours that Stevo Ireland was planning to make himself available for the Euros after we had made it in 2012. G'way ya big messer!

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    ha why not? one of the best young players in the world

Because he didnt help them get there. Hes taking the spot of someone else who helped them qualify too.

Because he didnt help them get there. Hes taking the spot of someone else who helped them qualify too.

He took Benteke's spot who is out injured though!

Would have brought another striker, seeing how they are short up front.

They replaced a centre forward with a winger? Makes perfect sense.

They used more than 23 players in the qualifiers, one of them deserved the spot over him.

I hope he doesn't kick a ball and ends up being this year's Walcott.

Would have brought another striker, seeing how they are short up front.

I'm not the most familiar with the Belgian players but who exactly would you have taken over him, I had a quick look myself there and I can't see anyone.

Wilmots himself said hes bringing him as a forward.

I don't buy the whole he didn't make a contribution to Qualifying therefore he shouldn't have went, it didn't stop Michael Owen in France 98.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pick who you think are the best players that are available at the time.

All this "pick the players who got you there" is sanctimonious nonsense.

No Fellaini in the Belgian starting 11...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They replaced a centre forward with a winger? Makes perfect sense.

They used more than 23 players in the qualifiers, one of them deserved the spot over him.

I hope he doesn't kick a ball and ends up being this year's Walcott.

It's not the first time, and won't be the last time that a player who didn't kick a ball in qualifying went to a tournament. There are other players in this world cup in the same boat (4 in Germanys squad). I don't know what you're getting so worked up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Personally I think it's a bit of a slight on his character if he made a principalled stand for years regarding who he wanted to represent and it wasn't Belgium that he is now at the world cup with them....nothing really to do with taking another guys place but that he succumbed to the bright shinyness of the World cup.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Re Januzaj, the amount of hype is crazy.

Yes he has shown potential but this "best young player in the world" stuff is bonkers.

The emails / texts doing the rounds last year re Januzaj / Sterling comparisons are spot on - There was all this hype about Januzaj but Raheem Sterling has done a lot more.

Januzaj is a good young player...nothing more. There's nothing to indicate that we've another Ronaldo on our hands. I'd bite another club's hand off for £42m (if that's the figure doing the rounds).

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Personally I think it's a bit of a slight on his character if he made a principalled stand for years regarding who he wanted to represent and it wasn't Belgium that he is now at the world cup with them....nothing really to do with taking another guys place but that he succumbed to the bright shinyness of the World cup.

He didn't succumb to anything of the sort. He was holding out in the hope that Kosovo would be recognised as a team by FIFA and could play for them. They still aren't and there is no guarantee that they will be in the future so he chose to play for Belgium.

It says more about his character that he was willing to wait for so long to play for a country that he would pretty much have no hope of getting to any major tournament with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Bless your heart.

So if Messi or Ronaldo out of sheer bad luck missed all the qualifiers for a tournament, you wouldn't pick them to go?

Yeah... sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Ah I see your ITK, who's your source ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Who in their right mind would turn down a chance to play at the World Cup?

Januzaj is 19!!, looked class in all the games last season that I watched with the exception of the Liverpool game, when he had a poor game. He stood out in a team playing terrible, so perhaps we over hype him a little but personally there's something with his style and technique that is unique, he also is great with both feet. I'm just glad we have him at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

10382820_10152245478802746_7326058913321285300_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Our centre back target Vermalen isn't starting. Instead, 36 year old Van Buyten is :pac:
    I don't think he's got a run of games for Bayern since the start of last season.

It's not the first time, and won't be the last time that a player who didn't kick a ball in qualifying went to a tournament. There are other players in this world cup in the same boat (4 in Germanys squad). I don't know what you're getting so worked up for.

It's the fact that he outright said he'd only declare for Belgium if he was called up for the world cup that I think is ridiculous. They should have let England have him, or Kosovo.

It's the fact that he outright said he'd only declare for Belgium if he was called up for the world cup that I think is ridiculous. They should have let England have him, or Kosovo.

Do you have a link to this story where he said he'd declare for belgium if he was called up for the world cup???

I was reading that the first day of Premier League matches has been leaked for next year and we have Villa on the first day. Does anyone know if its fake or true?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement