Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sandraevra wrote: »
    don't, don't you worry.
    God dam you, I have that song in my head now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Can't see Hummels joining Utd this year.

Maybe next of the year after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

He closed his account he couldn't hack it :P delighted LVG is coming on Wednesday hopefully we tie up a few signings and get to see the team we missed so bad last year.

Unlikely, but imagine at his official unveiling the club pulls two new signings out of nowhere. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Reckon there will be some big news from United this week. Hopefully big signing(s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

LVG getting suit fitted today, wonder will suits be ordered for mr. scholes & Neville. have my doubts. will we hear news on this today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Is today his first day in Manchester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Reckon there will be some big news from United this week. Hopefully big signing(s)

What do you know?????!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

KH25 wrote: »
    Unlikely, but imagine at his official unveiling the club pulls two new signings out of nowhere. :D

I didnt mean signings by Wednesday :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Is the new kit available in stores today or only on the megastore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Kroos confirms he is signing for Real Madrid this week. That's a sickner anyways.

What do you know?????!!!!!

Me? I never know anything.;)

July 16th is the release day, so shouldn't be in the shops til then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Out on Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kroos to Madrid has hurt my feels. I'd have rather he stayed with Munich....

Schweinsteiger was immense last night, as usual. Such a beast of a CM.

Also the Hummels comments, made me lol immensely. He was carrying a knee injury, and was playing a high line. He was in ribbons after 70minutes into the game.

Germany are my tournament team, was absolutely chuffed, especially for Gotze who has had a rough time of it since moving to Bayern.

Hopefully transfers can get going now that WC over, LVG in place etc.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Kroos to Madrid has hurt my feels. I'd have rather he stayed with Munich....

Schweinsteiger was immense last night, as usual. Such a beast of a CM.

Also the Hummels comments, made me lol immensely. He was carrying a knee injury, and was playing a high line. He was in ribbons after 70minutes into the game.

Germany are my tournament team, was absolutely chuffed, especially for Gotze who has had a rough time of it since moving to Bayern.

Hopefully transfers can get going now that WC over, LVG in place etc.

The high line comment.... hopefully a high line isn't a general issue, and more down to fitness/injury, because I would expect LVGs general style to require a high line - the midfield can't press quickly if the defensive line is deep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

have a feeling we'll only get one or two squad players. Something from holland maybe but nowhere near the level of vidal.

i'd like to think the club pulled out of interest in kroos once they knew he wanted to go to madrid. He's immense.

My guess at signings:

De Vrij, De Jong and Depay.

Can see us then moving for Strootman in January/Summer.

I do think Vidal is a target, but I don't think that we will get it done. Same with Hummels and Reus. The three dutch lads above will be the fall back options on the big targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

who are we "signing" today

coach23 wrote: »

Probably a sponsor.

I didnt mean signings by Wednesday :pac:

A man can dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

My guess at signings:

Can see us then moving for Strootman in January/Summer.

I do think Vidal is a target, but I don't think that we will get it done. Same with Hummels and Reus. The three dutch lads above will be the fall back options on the big targets.

No way LvG will bring that many dutch players with him ... He did at Barcelona and thought it was a mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

My guess at signings:

If this ended up being the case, would united fans be happy? Wud mean a total outlay of about £100m but not one proven world class player signed plus vidic, evra, giggs,rio and surely 2 or 3 more players gone like Nani,Ando.

Im just not sure its money well spent in terms of first 11 quality.

If this ended up being the case, would united fans be happy? Wud mean a total outlay of about £100m but not one proven world class player signed plus vidic, evra, giggs,rio and surely 3 more players gone like Nani,Ando.

I would be annoyed and worried about the defence. We need a player like Hummels, imo. Not style wise - but someone with top level experience and command. We need a leader in defense, and I wouldnt see Smalling, Jones or Evans as that. De Vrij has been captain of his club for a while now though, at such a young age, which is promising for him. (just pointing it out).

De Jong and Depay though, happy enough yeah. I think De Jong and Herrera would represent a massive upgrade in CM quality for us, and with the hope of adding Strootman to it soon enough I'd be ok with it. Not over the moon, but I think it would be good enough.

A wing threat is needed, but not a massive priority imo - so Depay would be a good (cheapish) option here. Di Maria was an nice dream for a couple of days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If this ended up being the case, would united fans be happy? Wud mean a total outlay of about £100m but not one proven world class player signed plus vidic, evra, giggs,rio and surely 2 or 3 more players gone like Nani,Ando.

Honestly, if the budget is 100m and we need 5 first team players (as your scenario would entail), then it becomes even harder to find a balance between improving the first team and getting world class players.

Sure, we could splash out 65m on a big name like Cavaini, but then would we have had to get 4 more players with the remaining 35m?

I'd be happy enough myself; I would feel as if the first team was significantly stronger as a whole with those five added. I'd rather a bit of balance to create a strong first team than blow our cash on a WC player in one position who'd cover up the cracks elsewhere. Again. It would create a solid foundation on which to build next summer/Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

I for one woulnt be, think we desperatly need first team quality, while Shaw and Herrera are a good start I def think we will sign 2 more top players and maybe 1-2 youngish lads. Vidal and Hummels would be the dream and think LVG will go all out for Vidal so hopefully, would like us to sign an attacker as well (Di Maria perfect choice but no chance). Then get rid of the dead wood in the squad to leave 20-21 outfield players for LVG to work with.

Big news this week... told ya.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2691296/Manchester-United-seal-70m-year-kit-deal-Adidas-ending-13-seasons-Nike.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    Manchester United will confirm a record kit deal of around £70million-a-year with Adidas on Monday afternoon.
    The staggering figure is more than double the amount they currently pocket from current partner Nike.
    Sportsmail's Charles Sale and Matt Lawton first revealed in May that Adidas were favourites to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I would and wouldn't be happy (ah the fence).

On one hand I can see why Top players wouldn't want to come to us this year. When teams liek Barca, City, Chelsea, Real, Bayern all have Champions League football and we dont, its clear to see that why they would choose other teams to us. For that reason I realize we why a Vidal, a Kroos, a Hummells or a Di Maria would pick another big team over us.

That being said Id be happy if we got in a player like De Jong as a stop gap and buy 1 or 2 more players who have potential to be top stars in teh same vein as Herrera and Shaw.

KH25 wrote: »
    Genuinely can't wait to see next seasons jersey!

It will be chelseas/madrids jersey in red. I don't think adidas will go to any greater lengths for United than they do Madrid.

On the sponsorship deal, I'd love to see the detail of the deal (not that we ever will). I wonder does the yearly fee increase over time (the Nike one did) and if their are any clauses about it matching any bigger sponsorship deals they may sign with Madrid/Bayern between now and the end of the deal.

Also, will be intersting to see if we have segmented the clothing line as was rumoured months back - with a Japanese firm in line to sponsor/create a casual clothing line in a serparate deal to the kit deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

The high line comment.... hopefully a high line isn't a general issue, and more down to fitness/injury, because I would expect LVGs general style to require a high line - the midfield can't press quickly if the defensive line is deep.

Am I missing something here? Are we signing Hummels?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? Are we signing Hummels?

no - he is being linked with us. The high line germany were playing was used as one reason for his poor(ish) performance last night, so I commented as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I'd have your man Clasie before de Jong, appeared to have a bit about him and obviously with his age has a lot more potential for improvement.

Buying 'proven world class' is not a neccessity in my opinion, it's much better if you have someone identifying the players before they become 'proven world class'.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't sign another midfielder if Vidal is unattainable and we just wait for Strootman. A midfield 3 (assuming that is how we will play) of Carrick, Herrerra and Mata is how I think we would line out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Can't see Mata being played that far back, Kagawa more suited to a central role... apparently LVG rates him.

no - he is being linked with us. The high line germany were playing was used as one reason for his poor(ish) performance last night, so I commented as I did.

Maybe I read it bit wrongly.

Still I don't think he is realistic target at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Anyone know when our Savior takes the hot seat

Can't see Mata being played that far back, Kagawa more suited to a central role... apparently LVG rates him.

Well I'd see it as the top of the triangle, as an AM, not that far back really. Kagawa...ya I agree, at least someone of that ilk playing there regularly. Kagawas confidence needs a lift though.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Maybe I read it bit wrongly.

Still I don't think he is realistic target at all.

Andy Mitten reckons he is a big target of the club, who reckon he is gettable. FWIW.

ericzeking wrote: »
    I'd have your man Clasie before de Jong, appeared to have a bit about him and obviously with his age has a lot more potential for improvement.

Buying 'proven world class' is not a neccessity in my opinion, it's much better if you have someone identifying the players before they become 'proven world class'.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't sign another midfielder if Vidal is unattainable and we just wait for Strootman. A midfield 3 (assuming that is how we will play) of Carrick, Herrerra and Mata is how I think we would line out then.

Read a few dutch fans liken Classie to Cleverley. Also, I would reckon they are different players. De Jong would be a far better bet than Classie (imo) in midfield with Herrera and maybe Mata/Kagawa, from a balance point of view.

• Advertisement

Clasie reminds me of Cleverley only more developed. It will be interesting to see what LVG will do with Cleverley. He has potential alright. Whether he can utilise it is a completely different question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If we don't sign another midfielder it will be the same ****e as last season, regardless of who is on the sidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If we don't sign another midfielder it will be the same ****e as last season, regardless of who is on the sidelines.

Nah, I get that people want more and more signings but in te last couple of years Utd have signed Fellaini, Herrera, Mata, Kagawa ... which is more or less a midfield.

LVG will get much more out of them. To say that it all depends on the next signing implies that Moyes wasn't doing anything wrong.

Last season, it was mostly our clueless tactics that was the downfall.

You cannot compare Moyes and LVG and say they will get the same performances out of the team.

Do you think Moyes could have got the Holland team a kick away from a WC final?

LVG has been working with top players his whole career, not the likes of Leon Osman.

Not neccessarily, LVG managed to get quite a lot out of a limited enough looking Dutch side....who on this board would have entertained the notion of Nigel deJong playing for us 2 years ago? Not many I'd say.

Playing a clear defined brand of football, I think Carrick still has alot to offer in the deep lying role, with the addition of Herrerra then as a forward thinking all rounder and either Kagawa or Mata in the 10 position, I think it gives us a lot more scope than say Carrick & Cleverly with Rooney as a second striker/no 10.

Jaysus....that's a lot of assumption I am making...who knows what formation LVG will put out.....either way I trust him to do it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

gosplan wrote: »
    Utd have signed Fellaini, Herrera, Mata, Kagawa ... which is more or less a midfield.

You should be prosecuted under the Trade descriptions act for calling that a midfield.
    Last season, it was mostly our clueless tactics that was the downfall.

You cannot compare Moyes and LVG and say they will get the same performances out of the team.

Our downfall has been our midfield, Moyes tactics were just the catalyst. If we had a proper midfield I have no doubt we would have seen resultant better performances in other areas of the field and we would have been in better shape than 7th.

I have respect for LVG, but he cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear. If we try to play next season with the likes of Carrick and Cleverley then opposing teams will still rock up to Old Trafford with a grin on their faces knowing exactly what to do to stop United.

Herrera is a good start but completely unproven and he could easily need time to adapt, we simply need another central midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Just stuck 50 quid on United to win there first 5 league games at 5/1

Swansea home
    Sunderland away
    Burnley away
    QPR home
    Leicester away

Sky Sports News ✔ @SkySportsNews
    Sky Sources: Edinson Cavani asks agent to investigate potential move to Premier League. #SSN

This one is like Sneijder deal, will be linked forever.

You should be prosecuted under the Trade descriptions act for calling that a midfield.

Our downfall has been our midfield, Moyes tactics were just the catalyst. If we had a proper midfield I have no doubt we would have seen resultant better performances in other areas of the field and we would have been in better shape than 7th.

I have respect for LVG, but he cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear. If we try to play next season with the likes of Carrick and Cleverley then opposing teams will still rock up to Old Trafford with a grin on their faces knowing exactly what to do to stop United.

Herrera is a good start but completely unproven and he could easily need time to adapt, we simply need another central midfielder.

Ya I guess you're right, see what you mean.

but with better tactics and another proven midfielder we should be good enough.
    With the midfield we have now plus new tactics, we will struggle a bit but will be in far better shape than last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

coach23 wrote: »

Sean Goss. Done deal.

BsQnlIwCcAAy7s2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Looks like this is the signing today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2691296/Manchester-United-seal-70m-year-kit-deal-Adidas-ending-13-seasons-Nike.html

I know, I know. A Daily Fail link :(

Read that the deal is the same as the bottom 8 premier league team's ticket sales combined each year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement