Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

TheTownie wrote: »
    Is there a reason people don't give Richard Arnold any credit for these commercial deals??

I'd imagine he plays a pretty big role given hes commercial director.

He deserves credit but Ed is the man who holds the ultimate responsibility at United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

RobertKK wrote: »
    Edinson Cavani rumoured to be looking for a move to the premier league.

I can see United signing him for one reason - to replace Rooney. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. United are current favourites to sign him.

No need for him really, it's spending a huge amount of money replacing a player in and around the same age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I can see United signing him for one reason - to replace Rooney. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. United are current favourites to sign him.

LVG could be taking a tac from Fergies book, address weak points in squad by singing MOAR STRIKERS!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It really is the only reason I'd see us approaching him. I don't see why if he's put out at PSG by playing second fiddle to Ibra and being played out of position, he'd be overly keen to join us and compete with Rooney AND RVP. And we know RVP isn't going anywhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Van Gaal excited by United challenge

Louis van Gaal is relishing the opportunity to manage Manchester United after leading the Netherlands to third place at this summer’s FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
    Despite guiding his side to a comfortable 3-0 win over the hosts on Saturday, the 62-year-old Dutchman is refusing to go on holiday and will have just two days off at home before officially taking charge of the Reds this week.

Van Gaal will spend time with his players at the Aon Training Complex before jetting off to California to begin the club’s Tour 2014, presented by Aon. While this might appear a tight schedule, the boss insists he can’t wait for the challenge to begin.

“That is no problem for me, I don't need a holiday,” van Gaal said. “It's great to have such an exciting challenge. To work daily with young people is something that I don't need time off to rest for.

“I'm looking forward to it. I've only met two people from the daily management at the club - the chief scout and the chief executive officer. And I've met two of the owners. It's time that I get to know more people at the club.

“I hope the group in Manchester will become like this [Netherlands] one. We have to sing from the same hymn sheet. I hope at Manchester United I can do my best. I will do my best. Whether that's enough for the fans I will wait and see, but I genuinely hope that will be the case.”

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Jul/Louis-van-Gaal-relishing-chance-to-manage-United.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Andy Green, the usually negative financial type guy had this to say
    Andy Green ‏@andersred 12m

Debt story pretty much over at @ManUtd now. Annual interest bill c. £20m.
    Andy Green ‏@andersred 12m

Debt clearly held back transfer spending up until last year = legacy of weak, ageing squad whilst others strengthened.

Good times ahead!

“I hope the group in Manchester will become like this [Netherlands] one. We have to sing from the same hymn sheet. I hope at Manchester United I can do my best. I will do my best. Whether that's enough for the fans I will wait and see, but I genuinely hope that will be the case.”

tumblr_mzth02Tt1F1rmdsejo8_r1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Van Gaal excited by United challenge

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Jul/Louis-van-Gaal-relishing-chance-to-manage-United.aspx

Daggers out lads, it's Moyes MkII.

:pac:

Edit: AH FECK OFF TSC! :P

TheDoc wrote: »
    LVG could be taking a tac from Fergies book, address weak points in squad by singing MOAR STRIKERS!

He can play wide too, would be an expensive replacement for Young :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

He deserves credit but Ed is the man who holds the ultimate responsibility at United.

Maybe my memory is fooling me but were we not jizzing ourselves over woodward and his commercial deals when he was commercial director so it would make sense that we show some love for Richard Arnold too.

Doesn't really matter whos the biggest influence on these deals anyway, just passing comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Looks like Vidal is finally going to be confirmed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

FutureGuy wrote: »
    MUFC are not signing Vidal. It is not imminent.

Keep saying it FutureGuy, you know the drill
    same applies for hummels and di Maria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Doris300 wrote: »
    Looks like Vidal is finally going to be confirmed :)

Eh?

TheTownie wrote: »
    Maybe my memory is fooling me but were we not jizzing ourselves over woodward and his commercial deals when he was commercial director so it would make sense that we show some love for Richard Arnold too.

Doesn't really matter whos the biggest influence on these deals anyway, just passing comment.

I agree with you, those are very valid points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

according to Andy Green, the new deals now see our debt levels reduced from 70% of profit, down to 15%.

that is incredibly good news and should once and for all shut the people up who have moaned about the glazers non stop for the last 10 years.
    Where are the people who wanted Ed Woodward gone? :p

this deal was being talked about for last 3 years, long before he took over the CE so your point is well, pointless.

i dont think anybody on here ever doubted his ability on the commercial side, its his football respect and experience that is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Have to say this picture on the Red Devils subreddit gave me a chuckle.

Regarding the need for an image to welcome LVG to Old Trafford, this was submitted by user SantagetoutClause!

Source

UYfq3aG.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Brilliant! ^^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

ShaneU wrote: »

"with adidas for a global technical sponsorship and dual branded licensing deal"

I wonder does the dual branding refer to the casual gear being a separate contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Have to say this picture on the Red Devils subreddit gave me a chuckle.

Regarding the need for an image to welcome LVG to Old Trafford, this was submitted by user SantagetoutClause!

Source

http://i.imgur.com/UYfq3aG.jpg

I've just projectile Capri Sun all over the seat in front of me on the bus, I'm lucky it's empty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

paulbok wrote: »
    "with adidas for a global technical sponsorship and dual branded licensing deal"

I wonder does the dual branding refer to the casual gear being a separate contract?

I would guess dual branding is Manchester United and adidas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

paulbok wrote: »

Think dual branding just means itll have both united and adidas logos on all the merch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ride me Ed!!!

will never come out of course, but i wonder just how much the sacking of Moyes and appointment of Van Gaal strengthened out hand in terms of negotiating the kit deal.

What is James Ducker's reputation like lads? This is what he's said in a webchat...

I believe Van Gaal is planning on playing 4-3-3 primarily next season although it wouldn't surprise me if you saw 5-3-2 enlisted on occasion.

United want to keep Evra but his wife, Sandra, is desperate to leave Manchester - she has been for a good while - and the club don't want to stand in his way in that regard given what a good servant he has been. It's a real blow if you ask me - he's a big character with a lot of experience and would have helped Luke Shaw settle in. Part of the reason his decline was accelerated in recent years was because he was being asked to play a ridiculous number of games for a guy in his thirties who is all about bombing forward.

In terms of signings, I believe they want to sign another left back, a centre-half and at least one more midfielder plus maybe a winger-forward type.

I'm told Di Maria is on the radar but that there's been no contact with the player or Real Madrid, which would suggest there's one or two others that the club are pursuing first.

From what I was told last night, I think the Vidal rumours have taken on a life of their own. I don't believe United are actively pursuing him at this stage and although I'm not saying things won't change, it looks like Juventus are really trying to create a market for him, in much the same way as Benfica did with Nicolas Gaitan a couple of years back.

For the sake of the bit in bold, I hope he knows nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

stankratz wrote: »
    What is James Ducker's reputation like lads? This is what he's said in a webchat...

Unfortunatey hes prob the most reliable Utd journo, the only thing is the club are leaking les and less and he also said he didnt expect herrera rumours to be true.

Ducker would be considered credible. As would Ogden.
    Neither of them knew about the Herrera deal until it was almost complete. Or Shaw for that matter.

Would fit in with my own personal opinion of what's happening; it's a story the journalists are using to sell papers that might be true but as likely will see nothing come of them....

Or Shaw for that matter.

????? Shaw was widely reported as done since about 6 weeks before the world cup.

????? Shaw was widely reported as done since about 6 weeks before the world cup.

!!!!!!! Most knew it would happen, but the timing of it was a surprise.

• Advertisement

It was being reported during the world cup that the deal had stalled over price, and that we were looking elsewhere. Shaw wasn't seen as a done deal during the WC. The agreement, announcement and medical were all fairly out of the blue in the end.

Our interest in him, and agreement on his contract was well known - but that is different.

Thanks lads, hopefully the club are playing the Vidal deal very close to their chest, maybe a bit of misinformation to keep rival rich clubs from coming in to hijack the deal? /wishful thinking

However, I am now trying to curb my excitement/hopes regarding a Vidal deal, it's been going on that long now that it really is starting to remind me of the Sneijder and Thiago Alcantra episodes.

Also, is Evra officially gone yet? I have been a critic of his over the last season, but now that we've signed Shaw and released Buttner, it would be great if he hung around for another year. We have no other LB options and I imagine that with less games to play, Evra could be more than sufficient for LB back-up.

Honestly though, I feel a bit 'bad' even suggesting that. The man has been our LB beast (mostly) and a terrific servant over his years at the club, he deserves to go and get first team football elsewhere in his limited time left if that's what he wishes for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Unfortunatey hes prob the most reliable Utd journo, the only thing is the club are leaking les and less and he also said he didnt expect herrera rumours to be true.

yep.

for me the whole vidal thing is twitter circulated bullsht.

Has Evra's move to Juve been made official yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Regarding the Adidas news, I found this quote in particular to be pretty interesting.
    The huge sum involved is only £40m less than the Glazer family paid for the club in 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Someone called it right in here earlier when they said the Vidal story was BS and you could tell by the 'when he's back from holiday' line.

You do not have a conversation with Utd about a 40 million 150kpw deal and then say 'I'll let you know after my hols'.

They would rightly tell you to fcuk off and look elsewhere.

• Advertisement

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Regarding the Adidas news, I found this quote in particular to be pretty interesting.

An incredible deal, and Woody should be congratulated. As should Sir Alex Ferguson - without the sustained success for over 2 decades that he brought us, the club wouldn't be near as popular, and deals such as this would be nothing more than wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

No guarantees on who United will go for, hoping that once Wednesday rolls around and LVG as sitting at his desk, that we'll have a bit more legitimate information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Leftist wrote: »
    yep.

for me the whole vidal thing is twitter circulated bullsht.

It seems like it. There are very little reliable sources from Italy. It's very apparent that Manchester United are choking the press at the minute. My understanding is that Woodward in particular wasn't happy with the manner in which the Shaw deal was being reported and the pressure being placed upon him by the journalists the club was briefing. I think any Manchester United fan knows or can easily find out who was actually leaking the extra information from the club.

Ogden said that there was no deal for Herrera and 2 hours later it was announced. Ducker and Jamie Jackson via Daniel Taylor were nowhere to be seen either. Everybody knows who was sending around the texts to Andy Mitten, Ducker, Ogden, Taylor, Ladyman etc. I think that he or she is on a short lease at the minute and Woodward has stopped the briefing the media.

Also Ducker is by far the best writer on United. 99% of what he says is what he either believes or has researched. My feeling is that Jackson and Ogden went too far with the transfer stories and now the wider press are suffering as a result. If Ducker thinks that Vidal isn't happening that's because he hasn't heard anything. I don't think the English media will be first to any United transfer story this Summer so I wouldn't necessarily believe that a transfer isn't happening because the Manchester based journalists say it's not and Herrera and Shaw have proved that.

I'm not going to believe anything this Summer until the club confirms it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Now that Adidas are officially onboard, let the mockups begin

BbCdTkV.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

glued wrote: »
    I'm not going to believe anything this Summer until the club confirms it.

Best practice any Summer tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know its just rumours but it seems Zaha could be on his way out, really wanted to see him given a chance, surely he should have been given one last year. And would love to see Powell given some game time this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That third jersey mock up looks quite like our old Sharp one we wore winning the Cup Winners Cup. Quite like it.

Great to see the deal being done and more importantly our annual debt interest fee being reduced. Hopefully this will allow us to push on and spend on investing in the team over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

The Last World Cup Sweeps post :D

Well done and thanks to all who took part.

Below are the winners.

Winners: Germany - Liam O
    Runners Up: Argentina - NeVeR

Most yellow cards in group stages €20 - Honduras -- LostBoy101
    1st Red Card €20 - Uruguay -- Gadge
    1st OG €20 - Croatia -- ninja900
    1st Peno €20 - Brazil -- markc1184
    Worst goal difference in group stages. €20 - Cameroon -- bennyl10

If anyone would like to review and make sure I'm correct please do. Can the winners please PM me your Paypal email address and I'll send the winnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Now that Adidas are officially onboard, let the mockups begin

BbCdTkV.png

I know its the money that matters but dam that chevrolet logo looks horrendous. Cant see there being a really nice looking kit with that thing on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

NeVeR wrote: »

Below are the winners.

If anyone would like to review and make sure I'm correct please do. Can the winners please PM me your Paypal email address and I'll send the winnings.

Ivory Coast had 7 yellow cards too in the group stage. I was doing the office sweepstakes here in work and that was one of the prizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

NeVeR wrote: »

Below are the winners.

Well done to all the winners and to NeVeR for organising it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Team | Manufacturer | Per Year | Years | Total
    Manchester United | Adidas | £75M| 10 | £750M
    Real Madrid| Adidas | £31M | 8| £248M
    Chelsea | Adidas|£30M|10|£300M
    Arsenal | Puma|£30|5|£170M
    Barcelona | Nike|£27M|10|£270M
    Liverpool | Warrior| £25M| 6| £150M
    Manchester City|Nike|£12M|6|£72M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Suprised Bayern arnt in that list. Actually love Adidas jerseys, can't wait to see what comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Unsung Hero

A staggering amount of money.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Suprised Bayern arnt in that list. Actually love Adidas jerseys, can't wait to see what comes out.
    They should be.
    http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/adidas_and_bayern_munich_renew_kit_deal_for_eight_years/
    The reigning Bundesliga champions have signed an eight-year extension to their current deal with Adidas, which expires at the end of the 2011/12 soccer season, taking them through to 2020.

German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeinen Zeitung reported that the deal is worth a total US$289 million, around US$36 million per season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement