Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

ericzeking wrote: »
    I expect LVG to be having a good look at all these over the next couple of weeks before he goes splashing big bucks again, who knows what that man thinks he can do with TC23?!!

I would go along with this. Our glaring issues at LB and CM have been addressed.

LVG will assess the rest of the squad before dipping into the market again, I still think we will sign one or two players.

There are so many players in the squad better than what they showed last season and I expect LVG get them back to a decent level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭ericzeking

v3ttel wrote: »
    I do. Sell him. :pac:

I honestly don't think so... I reckon he could be moulded, with the right coach, into a half decent holding midfielder, in the mould of Carrick, but with more pace and bite. Sit there, cover gaps and play it simple.

Either that or a back up left back!!!

The boy has talent, I just think he was wholly confused with his role last year as well as being ruffled by the campaign against him.

There are a few I'd sell before him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Either Vidal will be United player or he wont.

Im 100% confident either one will happen

Viva The Revolution!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I honestly don't think so... I reckon he could be moulded, with the right coach, into a half decent holding midfielder, in the mould of Carrick, but with more pace and bite. Sit there, cover gaps and play it simple.

The boy has talent, I just think he was wholly confused with his role last year as well as being ruffled by the campaign against him.

I have failed to see his talent in a Man Utd shirt, at the top level he simply isnt good enough. Only being kept around because he is home grown.

While I agree there are others Id sell before him, Id still sell him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm still amazed that people believe what is written in the Daily Mail or the Mirror.

Imagine the team we would have if they were true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Its gone HD baby !

BslAP94CYAAd4bx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I think he has talent, and could turn into a decent player. There is no point in hurting the team by playing him at the moment when he isn't up to scratch. The main problem is that there are numerous players who are a lot better right now, with more potential (Clasie, etc).

I'd let Cleverley go to Everton. Fletcher, Carrick, Fellaini & Herrera are all better options. Powell is a good prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

beno619 wrote: »
    Our glaring issues at LB and CM have been addressed.

The issues at CM may have been addressed as you call it, but they certainly are not rectified, not yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Test post

Headshot wrote: »
    Utd going to sign Garth Brooks iv heard.

We did sign Garth Crooks once!!

garth-crooks-manchester-united-1983-1984_2998075.jpg

• Advertisement

The issues at CM may have been addressed as you call it, but they certainly are not rectified, not yet.

Well that depends on how much faith you have in the players already at the club, again I expect players that were written of under Moyes to come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

First time I've seen a post from Doc under 4 paragraphs long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

FutureGuy wrote: »
    There is so much to be happy about,

this part is definitely true especially the fact that we have Van Gaal now, as opposed to Moyes.

the team does need some top quality investment though in center back and midfield, hopefully this is done in the next 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

It's progress anyway, I'd no confidence in Moyes, his backroom staff and the job Ed Woodward was doing regarding players.

LVG seems like a bit of a baller, a tough nut, in a similar mould to Fergie in that respect (though I feel he got a little sentimental around the end of his tenure). LVG will have no problem cutting the dross from the team, and seems to have a hell of a lot more pull and buzz about him than Moyes had.

Ed Woodward has got me 2 players I actually wanted, in positions we actually needed. The Adidas deal also helps the club immeasurably.

I feel we still need two or three more players but if we didn't get them, I wouldn't be completely gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

So is it tomorrow LVg starts at Carrington? Wonder if Moyes left the mousepad behind, prob took everything including the lightbulbs ha

I say Cleverley is bricking it about tomorrow.

First time I've seen a post from Doc under 4 paragraphs long.

Haha.

I got lumped in by accident to the people who had soccer access removed after world cup.

They will have to try harder then that to remove.my short novels !

In relation to Vidal stuff..as I said yesterday. Old Trafford like a media blackout now that LVG is in charge, being a bit less transparent then Moyes reign.

Journos obviously won't confirm this so they arnt shown up as out of the loop...but it seems obvious to me.

The guys who have been on the ball are totally of it now..that they arnt getting the inside track from Woodwars and his team..nor Moyes.

Taking everything this summer with a pinch of salt.

Although if we penny pinched on Vidal...after missing out on 25m Kroos...only sealing Strootman would make some ammends.

Far fetched fantasy...Cleverly could be eager and maybe LVG can do something with him.

Looked totally uncomfortable in his role last year. Needs his position and responsibilities defined clearly.

He's a neat passer and great stamina...there is hope yet. He is dogged aswell which helps.

But certainly running out of straws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

United players face Van Gaal trial (ESPN)
    Louis van Gaal will effectively put some of Manchester United's players through a series of trials when he arrives to the club as the new manager on Wednesday.

The Dutchman is set to be presented to the media on Thursday but will meet his squad and staff 24 hours earlier and has reportedly put a block on loan deals until he has watched the squad in person.

Full article here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

TheDoc wrote: »
    He's a neat passer and great stamina...there is hope yet. He is dogged aswell which helps.

Did he bump into Stan Collymore in a car park? :eek:

Quite the opposite Cleverley's career was in tatters under Moyes.

LVG will either save him or let him leave and start fresh somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

TheDoc wrote: »
    Far fetched fantasy...Cleverly could be eager and maybe LVG can do something with him.

Looked totally uncomfortable in his role last year. Needs his position and responsibilities defined clearly.

But certainly running out of straws

His stamina is terrible for a footballer he is out on his feet after 70 minutes which is puzzling.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    His stamina is terrible for a footballer he is out on his feet after 70 minutes which is puzzling.

TBF he ran away from the ball so much last season how he managed 70 minutes was terrific;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

beno619 wrote: »
    Quite the opposite Cleverley's career was in tatters under Moyes.

LVG will either save him or let him leave and start fresh somewhere else.

Start fresh somewhere else? Who would take home at his current wage???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I actually think Carrick won't feature a lot next season. Far too pedestrian to feature in a van Gaal team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

glued wrote: »
    I actually think Carrick won't feature a lot next season. Far too pedestrian to feature in a van Gaal team

I'm of the same opinion about Fellaini. I thought he'd be a very good signing but he's been fairly useless.

Carrick will be a back up i'd say (assuming we get our targets in!)

Id be shocked if he was on more than £50,000 a week.

I think at 24 he has higher priorities than money, he could have a great career at a smaller club, not every footballer is a mercenary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

TBF he ran away from the ball so much last season how he managed 70 minutes was terrific;)

Referees should use videos of him for positional sense training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭dahat

On Vidal it looks a typical transfer stand off, Juve want more and Utd want to pay less, Juve seemnto have spent the Vidal money already so IMO the pressure is on them to accept a deal.

I believe it will get done but not as quick as we were led to believe over the last few days.

The lack of media leaks from within the club now is great and something that should stay that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Everton

• Advertisement

Hate when people rip the piss out of players who are giving their best for the club. :( It's not his fault he's not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

According to Sky Sports News, the Vidal quotes are accurate

"I'm already at a great team, Juventus, so I will be just as calm if the Manchester United option falls through."

Based on these quotes, it would appear we have most certainly held talks with the player at the very least.

Hopefully the two clubs can agree on a fee.

Hate when people rip the piss out of players who are giving their best for the club. :( It's not his fault he's not good enough.

Would you have the same opinion of Fellaini?

Quandary wrote: »
    According to Sky Sports News, the Vidal quotes are accurate

"I'm already at a great team, Juventus, so I will be just as calm if the Manchester United option falls through."

Based on these quotes, it would appear we have most certainly held talks with the player at the very least.

Hopefully the two clubs can agree on a fee.

Telling you. There is in my opinion a blackout to media. LVG seems the type. Probably not impressed learning our chief exec and previous manager would have texts and phonecalls with journalists about transfers.

You can see by how quiet and uncertain the reliables are. They are getting nothing this summer like they did previously.

I don't think we will get anything concrete a day or so before a transfer is going to go through.

Would you have the same opinion of Fellaini?

I'm not sure that Fellaini is giving his all, but ostensibly yes, why wouldn't I? I can think he's not good enough and should be moved on, but I'm not going to take the piss out of him as long as he's pulling on the red shirt and trying to win games for United.

I'm not sure that Fellaini is giving his all, but ostensibly yes, why wouldn't I? I can think he's not good enough and should be moved on, but I'm not going to take the piss out of him as long as he's pulling on the red shirt and trying to win games for United.

Neither would I. My own view was that Fellaini couldn't give it his best last season due to injury and the fact that everyone around him playing dirt.
    I'd give him one more season to prove himself.

Cleverley has had enough chances at this stage - and I certainly don't believe he's been giving 100%. I've seen a few games where he's strolled around for 90 mins.

Despite all that, I wouldn't slag either off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United players face Van Gaal trial (ESPN)

Full article here

The Guardian running with pretty much the same story:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/15/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-fringe-players-contracts?CMP=twt_gu

Neither would I. My own view was that Fellaini couldn't give it his best last season due to injury and the fact that everyone around him playing dirt.
    I'd give him one more season to prove himself.

Cleverley has had enough chances at this stage - and I certainly don't believe he's been giving 100%. I've seen a few games where he's strolled around for 90 mins.

Despite all that, I wouldn't slag either off.

I think Cleverley gives it everything and wears himself out, also his confidence can only have been in tatters last season after the abuse he took from his own fans. As I've said before, I think he's a better player than we've seen, but I doubt he'll ever make the grade. That said, with the right management, who knows?

On Fellaini, I also think last season doesn't represent his ability. It's not that long ago that people in here were crying out for him to be signed when he was running riot for Everton and we haven't seen that player in a United shirt yet. But, there were comments from him during the World Cup saying "I have nothing to prove" which would make me question his attitude. He has everything to prove.

The only issue with Fellaini is that even at his maximum ability in what seems to be his best position, United have much better players in an attacking midfield roll. He wasn't great at MC.

I think Cleverley gives it everything and wears himself out, also his confidence can only have been in tatters last season after the abuse he took from his own fans. As I've said before, I think he's a better player than we've seen, but I doubt he'll ever make the grade. That said, with the right management, who knows?

On Fellaini, I also think last season doesn't represent his ability. It's not that long ago that people in here were crying out for him to be signed when he was running riot for Everton and we haven't seen that player in a United shirt yet. But, there were comments from him during the World Cup saying "I have nothing to prove" which would make me question his attitude. He has everything to prove.

Cleverley has as much if not more to prove IMO.

Neither will make it long term at United unless they improve significantly.

• Advertisement

The only issue with Fellaini is that even at his maximum ability in what seems to be his best position, United have much better players in an attacking midfield roll. He wasn't great at MC.

I'd probably agree with most of that. But again, you could say the same for Cleverley. We very rarely see his best, and even that will probably not get him ahead of Herrera and Carrick, and certainly not Vidal. :pac:

I'd probably agree with most of that. But again, you could say the same for Cleverley. We very rarely see his best, and even that will probably not get him ahead of Herrera and Carrick, and certainly not Vidal. :pac:

Cleverley would garner around 8million considering his age too which would be pretty decent money for a player, no really in your plans. The squad is huge as it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Well I like to turn annoying frequent face palming fist clenching situations into a laugh now and again to lighten the mode... situations like when Cleverley runs away from the play and out of space instead of in.

Is he giving his best by not learning basic positional sense or hiding or whatever the hell he's doing? Cas whatever it is its extremely poor and frustrating to watch, especially for a guy that had some promise and is on a good wage at a great club. Turning that into a light hearted joke during the summer break is not such a bad thing to do.

There's bigger things out there to "hate"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cleverley would garner around 8million considering his age too which would be pretty decent money for a player, no really in your plans. The squad is huge as it is...

Not at CM it is not.

Herrera, Carrick, Fellaini, Cleverley, Fletcher.

5 central midfielders. (i'm not gonna count Anderson, he has no fecking chance of staying).

I would keep Cleverley over Fellaini, and based on what I reckon the chances are of actually playing much football, I would keep him over Fletcher too.

Cleverley could be a good squad option in a LVG side, imo, and the fact he is homegrown (PL and Euro quotas) would been even more reason to keep TC imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Andy Mitten put an update on his Playup app there, basically says wages with Vidal arent an issue, the issue is the club dont want to get into a bidding war for the player and they want to see from him that he wants United.....

Link:
    http://news.playup.com/articles/2848690-update-july-15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Not at CM it is not.

Herrera, Carrick, Fellaini, Cleverley, Fletcher.

5 central midfielders. (i'm not gonna count Anderson, he has no fecking chance of staying).

I would keep Cleverley over Fellaini, and based on what I reckon the chances are of actually playing much football, I would keep him over Fletcher too.

Cleverley could be a good squad option in a LVG side, imo, and the fact he is homegrown (PL and Euro quotas) would been even more reason to keep TC imo.

Oi....This could be Andersons year....fresh start :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Oi....This could be Andersons year....fresh start :cool:

The only thing he likes is a fresh Pizza

Tom Cleverley is not good enough, too much of a lightweight, doesn't find space, doesn't provide chances for the attackers, doesn't get into position to take the ball from the defenders, way too soft in the tackle. Time to move him on.

I'd rather give Ben Pearson a shot than keep TC around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Whether Cleverley is good enough or not, the fact of the matter is we are not stocked enough in midfield to dispose of him unless we see a replacement - which I can't see coming in this summer (i.e. not an additional midfielder to Herrera and possibly Vidal) and as such, I think he will stay.

Actually, I'll throw my neck on the line - he will sign a new contract. Much to our displeasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Surely its time to give Powell a chance as well?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement