Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

TheTownie wrote: »
    No he wouldn't. He would be a waste of a third midfielder. Apart from his head and chest the rest of his game isn't of a high enough standard for Utd.

Although with the midfield being so bad it doesn't stick out as much as it should.

The Townie is right...there's no point beating around the bush...Fellaini is brutal. He's a Niall Quinn / Tony Cascarino-esque plodder who should be getting on the end of long throws at Stoke instead of being at Manchester United. A truly shocking signing and an indictment of David Moyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I don't think we should be so quick to judge players based on last season alone. The Utd camp was clearly not right and Moyes wasnt helping matters.

Im reserving judgment on Fellaini until the end of the coming season. I honestly think he, along with a few others will be different players under LVG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Quandary wrote: »
    I don't think we should be so quick to judge players based on last season alone. The Utd camp was clearly not right and Moyes wasnt helping matters.

Im reserving judgment on Fellaini until the end of the coming season. I honestly think he, along with a few others will be different players under LVG.

You're probably right to want to give him a chance. I just don't see it though. All I see is a guy with poor control who cannot do anything more than physically bully people in a Jurassic Park style Wimbledon team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Premier League fixtures announced at 9 if anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Swansea at home

Sunderland and Burnley away.

First 3 all winnable games.

Edit from Manutd.com

First five
    16 August Swansea City H
    23 August Sunderland A
    30 August Burnley A
    13 September Queens Park Rangers H
    20 September Leicester City A

Last five
    25 April Everton A
    2 May West Bromwich Albion H
    9 May Crystal Palace A
    16 May Arsenal H
    24 May Hull City A

Rivals watch
    25 October Chelsea H
    1 November Manchester City A
    22 November Arsenal A
    13 December Liverpool H
    21 March Liverpool A
    11 April Manchester City H
    18 April Chelsea A
    16 May Arsenal H

• Advertisement

The 6 games between 14th March and 2nd of May are Epic :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Quandary wrote: »

My issue with Fellaini is that he seems to perform best in an attacking midfield role, not as a defensive midfielder. Allowing him to bomb on ahead, as he did for Belgium last night, shows he can produce a goal (and a fine goal, too) but as Defensive midfielder...? I'm not sure. Again I'll reserver judgement, but I think Fellaini may become a back-up for the likes of Strootman should he be signed.

duffman13 wrote: »
    First five
    16 August Swansea City H
    23 August Sunderland A
    30 August Burnley A
    13 September Queens Park Rangers H
    20 September Leicester City A

Wonderful opening games. Lets see LvG stamp his mark on United and the top of the league. Hope we smash Sunderland too. Gus Poyet annoys me.

It's a nice start for LVG in comparison to poor old Moyes last year. When we do have big games the seem to come in a little bunch which should suit us considering no European fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Great opening fixtures, first really tough back-to-back fixtures at end of October, being home to Chelsea then away to City. March-April is the big period, some huge games in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

When are the games for TV announced?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    The first batch will be announced probably in early August when discussions between sky/BT/PL over first picks have been sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Those first 6 games, if it's not 18 points then questions should be asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Can't ask for an easier start there. It looks like a typical route to the fa cup final for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Mid July.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Wonderful opening games. Lets see LvG stamp his mark on United and the top of the league. Hope we smash Sunderland too. Gus Poyet annoys me.

Great chance to get of to a good start for change. Really excited now seeing the fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Tougher fixtures at the start for last year's top teams as well (see Man City's), giving us a great chance to get some momentum.

Ah seriously people need to manage expectations a little. Questions won't be asked after 6 games unless we lose 3 or 4 of them. If we get 4 or 5 wins and a draw or two playing the right way and looking like we are developing then nobody here will be asking questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

duffman13 wrote: »
    Ah seriously people need to manage expectations a little. Questions won't be asked after 6 games unless we lose 3 or 4 of them. If we get 4 or 5 wins and a draw or two playing the right way and looking like we are developing then nobody here will be asking questions.

Don't you know that LVG is not allowed to lose a game at all!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Stupid question but what's the process of getting tickets to a home game? I've only ever gone over with fan clubs in the past and it's been years since I've even done that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Don't you know that LVG is not allowed to lose a game at all!!!

I predict United will finish with a record 114 points this season.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Nonsense.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Stupid question but what's the process of getting tickets to a home game? I've only ever gone over with fan clubs in the past and it's been years since I've even done that.

Check out the boards forum for soccer tickets in the soccer forum. Some sound lads in the United thread

OctavarIan wrote: »

There's a ticket subforum for that kind of stuff. You'll get better info there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Nice start on paper but football isn't won on paper etc etc........nice set of fixtures for LVG to get Utd playing his way and the players to adapt to him also. 4+ wins would be a fantastic start.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Chelsea and Liverpool both have to come to OT the weekend after Champs League games. LVG will be licking his lips :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Nice early fixtures!
    Somewhere David Moyes just punched a computer screen. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Nice early fixtures!
    Somewhere David Moyes just punched a computer screen. ;)

That or the F.A are genuinely afraid of LVG :pac:

The fixture leak proved false and now, hopefully, that hideous leaked jersey will be a fake, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Very happy with those first 6 games. They are all winnable so hopefully we get off to a positive start, playing some nice attacking football and actually have a proper game plan.

Reasonable fixture list around the Christmas/new year time as well when there are plenty of points up for grabs so hopefully we get a few wins during this period.

Hopefully by the time we get to march and April we will be in touch with the leaders and be looking good to secure champions league football again.

Now let's get back to signing all these world class players please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Very manageable start but with the 3 promoted teams in there you have to factor in their honeymoon periods where they'll play above themselves and may cause us some problems....I seem to remember us struggling against Burnley early in the season the last time they came up, did we draw with them or something, I think we might have even lost, I remember their ground was rocking the same night as it was like one of the biggest games in their history.

There's no easy games in this league Jeff...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Easy fixtures eh?

Let's see who we bring in before we start making assumptions. Sunderland A will be a stern test and Swansea are no slouches either. We have a lot of players at the WC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I reckon that our first game will get moved...would like to get over to it.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I reckon that our first game will get moved...would like to get over to it.
    Won't be on sat 3pm anyway so it could be any of Sat 12:45/5:30, Sunday 1pm/4pm or Mon at 8pm ... It all depends on television broadcasting between BT and Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I see a Portuguese journo on twitter has reported we've been on talks for Gaitan again, says deal would involve Bebe going the other way.

Just what we needed.
    Gaitan again on MUFC radar. Talks between clubs since two weeks ago. The deal should be done and Bebe involved.

Not saying everything he says is gospel, but he seems to spout a good deal less sh1t than most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Buttner looks off to Dymano Moscow it seems, convinced now a decent LB is coming in now.
    Comments by Buttner himself are the source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Fenix wrote: »
    I see a Portuguese journo on twitter has reported we've been on talks for Gaitan again, says deal would involve Bebe going the other way.

Just what we needed.

Not saying everything he says is gospel, but he seems to spout a good deal less sh1t than most.

jesus if we have Sneijder rumours we're back where we were 3 years ago

I've always wondered how Buttner would fair at LW instead of LB.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I've always wondered how Buttner would fair at LW instead of LB.

Awh he seems liek a nice hard working lad, but he just doesnt have it in his locker. With Evra staying and if the Shaw deal happens, its curtains for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I can only feel sorry for Moyes looking at the start LVG has been handed haha :D

Expecting us to be out of the blocks, simply won't accept anything short of top 2 by the time we hit Chelsea in October.

No excuses this time around, World Cup aside, it will have been the third transfer window available to the club to sort the squad issues out. a Manchester United squad should see those fixtures and be foaming at the mouth about being in the title hunt by Christmas.

• Advertisement

Fenix wrote: »

Just what we needed.

I believe the player himself caused a little stir with some comments he made saying he expects to leave the club this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

@elko_B
    According to De Telegraaf, Alexander Buttner will sign for Russian side Dinamo Moscow on Wednesday.
    Buttner: 'Van Gaal never gave me a chance in the Dutch team, even though I was MOTM for MUFC 14 times. I'm leaving at just the right moment'
    Buttner really did say 14 times. De Telegraaf also writes he made 50 appearances. My guess? They're including his reserve-team appearances.

A dutch journo on twitter....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

@elko_B
    According to De Telegraaf, Alexander Buttner will sign for Russian side Dinamo Moscow on Wednesday.
    Buttner: 'Van Gaal never gave me a chance in the Dutch team, even though I was MOTM for MUFC 14 times. I'm leaving at just the right moment'
    Buttner really did say 14 times. De Telegraaf also writes he made 50 appearances. My guess? They're including his reserve-team appearances.

A dutch journo on twitter....

MOTM 14 times?? Think Alex should stay out of the sun

Yorkie was on SSN there chatting about the new fixtures,

SSN played it safe keeping him up in Manchester and away from Kate Abdo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

When was Buttner voted MOTM 14 times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Obviously a mistranslation as Buttner played for Man United first team 14 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

markc1184 wrote: »
    When was Buttner voted MOTM 14 times?

Must have been on Fifa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I can't even remember him playing in 14 games nevermind being Motm in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I haven't seen an awful lot of Gaitan but when I have, he has never been impressive. At least not to the level where I thought I'd be delighted for United to sign him (like Di Maria, Coentrao when they were at Benfica).

Hope to be proved completely wrong if he does sign.

v3ttel wrote: »
    I haven't seen an awful lot of Gaitan but when I have, he has never been impressive. At least not to the level where I thought I'd be delighted for United to sign him (like Di Maria, Coentrao when they were at Benfica).

Hope to be proved completely wrong if he does sign.

It's worth a punt if Bébé goes the other way. No way he's worse than Young or Valencia on the wing.

Just for some clarification, as that quote may well be dodgy translation, Buttner had an extending run in the reserves at times where he did receive a number of MOTM awards.

Was nearly operating on the LW at times.

Ahead of the Bayern game last year did a little looking into Buttner in terms of how he was getting on, and seemingly played a lot of reserve games doing well.

But just as easy could be a misquote/translation gaff

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement