Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Would have no problem picking up somebody like Gaitan or Shaqiri for a decent fee. But if Sanchez is available for reported €20 million it would be some signing i am impressed every time i see him play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have a funny feeling Evra will be out first choice LB next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I imagine he will be too, with Shaw getting slightly less games than him and getting sub appearances if he signs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Would have no problem picking up somebody like Gaitan or Shaqiri for a decent fee. But if Sanchez is available for reported €20 million it would be some signing i am impressed every time i see him play.
    He was pretty bad the season before the one just gone by. Good this season and I would take him in a heartbeat, just not as quickly as when he went to Barca originally, though we didn't need him then of course :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I think Gaitan is a great little player, he has heart determination and good close control some of the qualities that we could do with, would be a little concerned about his strength though coz hes not the biggest guy in the world.
    However i think he is most effective playing as an attacking midfielder or coming in from the left but does play as a winger a lot.
    If we are looking for a decent winger then after Di Maria, Ribery and the likes then Gaitan could certainly be worth a punt as long as Young is gotten rid of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I imagine he will be too, with Shaw getting slightly less games than him and getting sub appearances if he signs

i think it depends on the transfer fee. You can't be spending 25-30m on a player who is just gonna be on the bench for every game. I think evra and shaw will both get a good run of games. it will be good for shaw to have evra who has experience and he can teach him many things during the one year in his contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Did anyone else even bother read thescore.ie comments section throughout last season? I noticed at the end of every united-related story or liveblog ABU's would write nonsense like this "Utd are dying, LOVE it!" that was one of the numourmous ABUs comments made when we lost to spurs on New Years Day. All I can say is thank god LVG is coming in, it shows a statement of intent that our era is NOT over!

i think it depends on the transfer fee. You can't be spending 25-30m on a player who is just gonna be on the bench for every game. I think evra and shaw will both get a good run of games. it will be good for shaw to have evra who has experience and he can teach him many things during the one year in his contract

We spent 16 on Zaha and he didnt get a look. It all depends on Shaw himself. thats if he even goes. I agree both will get roughly the same amount of games, with Evra being first choice at the start at least with Shaw his understudy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

MagicIRL wrote: »
    It's worth a punt if Bébé goes the other way. No way he's worse than Young or Valencia on the wing.

I'd prefer to get the right player rather than wasting money on a punt who may be marginally better than what we have. Bebe can be offloaded elsewhere.
    Nuts102 wrote: »

In terms of semi realistic targets, I'd rate the likes of Shaqiri, Cuadrado more than Gaitan, from what I've seen of him.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    We spent 16 on Zaha and he didnt get a look. It all depends on Shaw himself. thats if he even goes. I agree both will get roughly the same amount of games, with Evra being first choice at the start at least with Shaw his understudy

Forgot about zaha. looked like a decent player coming from crystal palace, but have heard many things about his attitude and acting up. Is he coming back to united or is he still on loan. Would be really interesting to see how zaha and lvg get along-both have temperaments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Buttner's agent: 'Staying with United was not an option for Alexander. In the past two years, Van Gaal ignored him time and again.' (via VI)
    Buttner's agent Alexander Bursac:'...especially now that Evra has extended his contract and the club is trying to get Luke Shaw.' (via VI)

Same source i quoted above

Buttner's agent: 'Staying with United was not an option for Alexander. In the past two years, Van Gaal ignored him time and again.' (via VI)
    Buttner's agent Alexander Bursac:'...especially now that Evra has extended his contract and the club is trying to get Luke Shaw.' (via VI)

Same source i quoted above

Always wanted to see him tried out as a LW. He always seemed much more threatening on the attack from the wing than as a defender at the back

In regards to Shaqiri:
    MailOnline Sport @MailSport · 9m

Liverpool open talks with Bayern Munich over £16m Xherdan Shaqiri http://
    dailym.ai/U9X45n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

buttner is a terrible footballer. best of luck to him where ever he goes

bangkok wrote: »
    buttner is a terrible footballer. best of luck to him where ever he goes

Pretty direct but true i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Burner is a decent squad player and I'd much rather have him as back-up than Evra. It's a pity it's worked out this way.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Burner is a decent squad player and I'd much rather have him as back-up than Evra. It's a pity it's worked out this way.

buttner over evra as backup?! no, not even a contest.

buttner over evra as backup?! no, not even a contest.

Butner over Evra for back-up or first choice if it comes to it. Butner is a not great full-back, Evra is poison.

He'll never get a glimpse of first team football with evra and shaw in the squad, so it really is the best decision for him. The agent even confirmed the shaw interest again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

So many players leaving the club and Fcuk all arriving.

Our Starting 11 will have 3 or 4 original starters and the rest made up of reserves ( maybe some new players ) lol

• Advertisement

Butner over Evra for back-up or first choice if it comes to it. Butner is a not great full-back, Evra is poison.

evra is not as bad as everyone makes out. was one of the worlds best left back for years, cant be helping him that he has either Ashley young or kagawa playing ahead of him now who rarely track back. I love the myth of not seeing much of buttner but he surely must be better that evra. Buttner is actually a terrible player. no positional sense, terrible in possession had a decent first leg against Bayern is the highlight of his united "career".
    Evra starting the world cup in superb form and long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

It's a shame, I have a lot of time for Buttner after the Munich game and thought he did quite well in the games he played this season. Assuming Evra won't be with us longer we'll need a back up LB in another year or 2 and I'd be quite happy to have Buttner do that job.

If he wants to play every week then fair play to him, and I wish him well.

(This all under the premise that we sign an LB of course :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I wouldnt be surprised with this club if they let Buttner go and wernt able to bring in another left back before season starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thought Buttner bought himself the chance to be seriously considered.

He dealt with Robben effectively, whereas the highly lauded Acqueta, Ramos and Pique let him run riot only last week.

Hopefully he can grind out a good career for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Mr_Red wrote: »
    So many players leaving the club and Fcuk all arriving.

Our Starting 11 will have 3 or 4 original starters and the rest made up of reserves ( maybe some new players ) lol

De clutter and then re stock....

evra is not as bad as everyone makes out. was one of the worlds best left back for years, cant be helping him that he has either Ashley young or kagawa playing ahead of him now who rarely track back. I love the myth of not seeing much of buttner but he surely must be better that evra. Buttner is actually a terrible player. no positional sense, terrible in possession had a decent first leg against Bayern is the highlight of his united "career".

Ill reserve judgment til after til after the first round knockout phase. He played well against a poor team. Also they will play 2 more sub par opposition in the next group games. Id like to see how he would handle a better quality side in the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In fairness if this does end up, with LVG doing his first press conference with a big curtain behind hi, and him behaving in a extravagent CEO at a keynote presentation, with the curtain unveiled to have a load of top class players on a podium, that is totally fine by me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Macca07 wrote: »

Bit late in his career to be linked with utd again, should be signing some youth or at least bring in some of the players from reserves, why loan-out Promising players like Tunnicliffe time and time again until he signs permanently for another club like Fulham? The Loan policy is not making any sense, we cannot lose anymore young players due to financial debt that Glazers brought on us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

uggybear wrote: »
    Bit late in his career to be linked with utd again, should be signing some youth or at least bring in some of the players from reserves, why loan-out Promising players like Tunnicliffe time and time again until he signs permanently for another club like Fulham? The Loan policy is not making any sense, we cannot lose anymore young players due to financial debt that Glazers brought on us

Because they are not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Assuming we have a new first choice left back I would far rather have Evra as cover than Buttner.

He is an experienced international club legend. His ability has never been in doubt, the issue has been his workrate this last few seasons and I would expect that to be less of an issue if he were getting plenty of rest and only coming in when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

LVG is just doing that thing where you sell all the players on FIFA and just leave the minimum required 16 to trump up your budget to make some signings and then you go and make your Man United dream team....

Pity about Buttner, seemed like a decent lad and was definitely on the upgrade...he'll do grand for himself and I wouldn't be surprised if we crossed paths with him again.

I had a few responses to your various points written out, but I'm not going to bother. If you're still defending Evra at this stage and using a game against Honduras as proof of anything then I don't believe you are serious about the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

dahat wrote: »
    De clutter and then re stock....

Are they Dutch ?? Can they play midfield ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I had a few responses to your various points written out, but I'm not going to bother. If you're still defending Evra at this stage and using a game against Honduras as proof of anything then I don't believe you are serious about the discussion.

Bangkok is ITK. Respect him and Toni Kroos when he turns up. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Macca07 wrote: »

Sneijder: "Nobody from the Netherlands can simply reject van Gaal.”

ok, we want Robben :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sneijder: "Nobody from the Netherlands can simply reject van Gaal.”

Except Büttner! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

TheDoc wrote: »
    Thought Buttner bought himself the chance to be seriously considered.

He dealt with Robben effectively, whereas the highly lauded Acqueta, Ramos and Pique let him run riot only last week.

Hopefully he can grind out a good career for himself.

He did well in that game against Robben but it's easier for defenders to look good in a team that's sitting so deep for the entire game. There was constantly plenty of cover and much less chance of getting exposed. I wouldn't be getting excited by that game at all, Ferdinand played and looked good as well.

no but you were saying Buttner was better backup than evra!! that is a ridiculous statement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

no but you were saying Buttner was better backup than evra!! that is a ridiculous statement.

Please do not start talking about ridiculous statements....

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Please do not start talking about ridiculous statements....

touché

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I like Buttner, limited enough but worked very hard when he did get a chance. Not good enough to be a regular for a top side like United and hopefully he finds a club where he can achieve that.

Fergie really did make some poor signings in the last few years he was at the club. Hoping to see Shaw signing announced when England return home after the group stage is over :pac:

nuxxx wrote: »
    I like Buttner, limited enough but worked very hard when he did get a chance. Not good enough to be a regular for a top side like United and hopefully he finds a club where he can achieve that.

Fergie really did make some poor signings in the last few years he was at the club. Hoping to see Shaw signing announced when England return home after the group stage is over :pac:

Kagawa, van persie Powell de gea jones smalling hernandez all great signings apart from Bebe

Kagawa, van persie Powell de gea jones smalling hernandez all great signings apart from Bebe

Kags hasnt come good. Cant blame Fergie for it though as I thought he'd be great too.

Smalling is awful. Not up to the standard.

Jones looks like he may reach his potential but hes taking his time doing so.

Powell remains to be seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I didn't say he only made bad signings. Only ones from the above who have been a clear success and improved the team imo are De Gea RVP and Chico. I'm talking about Ashley Young, Buttner, Zaha etc.

Fergies gone now anyway so its a moot point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Wow.

Honestly never thought I'd see the day. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Buttner was simply not United standard, we wish him well..

Thecon21 wrote: »
    Buttner was simply not United standard, we wish him well..

He could go on and do a Bebe :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

He could go on and do a Bebe :pac:

Play medicorely well in Portugal?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Play medicorely well in Portugal?

No russia obviously.....:D

Bebe had a lot more to prove than Buttner and a move to Benfica looks likely, Beba excelled in a poor team.

*awaits backlash*

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement