Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I would love sanchez at united, put I am gearing up for another disappointing summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Right lads...going to play devils advocate to the Vidal love in....Gary Medel also looked class tonight,this the rotund lad who was only average in Premiership this year!:)...Vidal has energy and talent but is he 'the best midfielder in the world'...which he said in an interview...about himself!
    Watched him seven or eight times for Juve this year and he only stood out in around two games as a lad you would love to see at OT.
    He is 27 as well so if he came for a huge fee he would have poor sell on value...and seems Juve would be talking 50m euro plus for him...and that was pre WC.
    PS-will gladly be proven wrong if he signs and proves he is the best Midfielder in World!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Any clips of RVP's goal tonight lads? Can't find it on stream.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/robin-van-persie-holland-2-2-v-australia-vine/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

kryogen wrote: »
    I assume you are basing that off the match and not the entire season he spent in the league?

He was very good before the Cardiff move, surprised he went there but had a lot of off field problems. United could have done with some of his attributes last season if only for him to rile up the rest of the players when it was going pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

What the hell was song thinking, hope that kills any rumours with us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some players' value will go way up after the WC, some will be going for a song

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Hococop wrote: »
    What the hell was song thinking, hope that kills any rumours with us

He's an over rated benchwarmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

So then Thomas Vermaelen...do not want!

At times I find myself watching Holland defend through my fingers it's that comical, Vermaelen to add solidity to Jones and Smalling who aren't strangers to a gaffe now and then themselves is a recipe for disaster I think.

Although Holland switched to a 433 type in the second half and looked more solid, I wouldn't mind seeing Evans, Jones and Smalling compete for a place beside a more experienced defender in that type of system.

Depay and Sanchez would be welcome addictions to the flanks, both will move for the right price and we've cash to burn so why not.

I read somewhere that Strootman won't be back playing until the end of August so Van Gaal will surely have to bring in someone unless he wants to start the season with Carrick and Cleverley. Fabregas moving to Chelsea was difficult to swallow, I've no idea who we will be after. Vidal living up to the hype in these matches so far he is so relentless, serious fantasy signing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

So then Thomas Vermaelen...do not want!

At times I find myself watching Holland defend through my fingers it's that comical, Vermaelen to add solidity to Jones and Smalling who aren't strangers to a gaffe now and then themselves is a recipe for disaster I think.

... except Vermaelen is Belgian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Right lads...going to play devils advocate to the Vidal love in....Gary Medel also looked class tonight,this the rotund lad who was only average in Premiership this year!:)...Vidal has energy and talent but is he 'the best midfielder in the world'...which he said in an interview...about himself!
    Watched him seven or eight times for Juve this year and he only stood out in around two games as a lad you would love to see at OT.
    He is 27 as well so if he came for a huge fee he would have poor sell on value...and seems Juve would be talking 50m euro plus for him...and that was pre WC.
    PS-will gladly be proven wrong if he signs and proves he is the best Midfielder in World!;)

He played DM for Cardiff I think, and last night he was playing CB for Chile. It won't work in the Prem league purely because he hasn't got the height to be a CB against such tall players. Spain in general isn't reknowned for the height of their team.

I would sign him as a DM back-up though. He reminds me of Park, in that, to quote Pirlo he seems "nuclear powered" and is relentless without the ball. Could be a very handy player to have on the bench to shore things up.

Regarding Vidal, an absolute must buy. What a player. Having watched him a few times playing for Juventus, the Chile v Spain game just has me all hot and sweaty :pac: for the lad. Brilliant.

Memphis Depay as well looked sensational on the wing for Holland yesterday. Could be another handy signing, especially with the LvG factor.

Alexis Sanchez would do terrible, terrible things to the Premier League, especially in a counter attacking team. Methinks himself and Chico could form a lethal partnership against high line teams.

Blind as well for Holland is another player worth watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

miralize wrote: »
    ... except Vermaelen is Belgian

I think that he was saying, given the way Van Gaal has set up the Netherlands defence and assuming he does something similar at United, he doesn't think Vermaelen would be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Sounds like Woodward is still persuing an elite signing, offer for Cavani on the table apparently.............why why why ??!!??

If he wants an elite signing at least buy one for an area of the pitch we actually need............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

And I see maintenance on the Kroos rumour mill has been completed........

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    And I see maintenance on the Kroos rumour mill has been completed........
    Manchester United target Toni Kroos, 24, is no closer to committing his future to Bayern Munich despite the midfielder's team-mates Thomas Muller and Philipp Lahm being given new deals. Daily Mail

Daily Fail - Ignore completely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Sounds like Woodward is still persuing an elite signing, offer for Cavani on the table apparently.............why why why ??!!??

If he wants an elite signing at least buy one for an area of the pitch we actually need............

I'm not saying I believe the rumour or not.

But I do find it weird that people go on about what we "need" when they also don't know what LVG has planned with regards shipping out people. If, for example, Rooney does get moved on, we would very much then be in need of a top level striker, due to RVP's age and injury proness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Can I just ask, if you watch all of Utd's games on tv and would prefer not to go to a football match because of the volatile and toxic atmosphere
    (and plus it's so bloody expensive!) does that make you less of a fan? Got criticised last season online from a regular match-going fan for saying "pity the last two games aren't on tv" to which he replied "not good enough, try turning up eh?". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

uggybear wrote: »
    Can I just ask, if you watch all of Utd's games on tv and would prefer not to go to a football match because of the volatile and toxic atmosphere
    (and plus it's so bloody expensive!) does that make you less of a fan? Got criticised last season online from a regular match-going fan for saying "pity the last two games aren't on tv" to which he replied "not good enough, try turning up eh?". :rolleyes:

Tell him to f*ck off and then carry on doing whatever makes you happy.

Well obviously, as a fan, you want to get out an support your team whenever possible. It's easy sitting on the couch and enjoying the game, but try sitting in the stands signing the chants and screaming. It's what football is all about.

Granted, because LOI is shíte (Oh no I didn't), most Irish people follow a UK team and can't get to games regularly, but if you've got the opportunity, go. Toxic atmosphere my bollox. The atmosphere of Old Trafford is sensational in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Remember Bangkok said Vidal wasn't worth more than €30m?

Good times...

yea £30m would be a fair price for him, not as if he is 22 and the type of game he plays cant see him playing that way past his 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

bangkok wrote: »
    yea £30m would be a fair price for him, not as if he is 22 and the type of game he plays cant see him playing that way past his 30's

Seriously???

Vidal is a beast of a player, has proved it all season with Juve, and now in the World Cup against Spain.

Will it take an outstanding performance against Holland before you admit you were wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rumour today is united are prepared to offer Bayern Munich £40 million for Arjen Robben.

If an offer has been made for Cavani, and if there is any truth in Robben being wanted, it would suggest players like Young, Valencia and maybe Nani are on the sell list.

All we can do is speculate on rumours.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Rumour today is united are prepared to offer Bayern Munich £40 million for Arjen Robben.

If an offer has been made for Cavani, and if there is any truth in Robben being wanted, it would suggest players like Young, Valencia and maybe Nani are on the sell list.

My speculation is 40m for Robben is absolute horseshìt of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Just ignore it, got told by a United fan who lived a few mins from Old trafford that I wasnt a fan because I'm not from Manchester, saying this guy was aggressive about it would be a understatement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Really don't understand why we would be in for Cavani, unless it is woodward ploughing on with his superstar signing wish.

He is, apparently, unhappy at PSG because he has been pushed out wide to accomodate Ibra, and I can't see any different happening at United with RVP in Ibra's place. Don't see where LVG would plan on fitting him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Robben is 30 isnt he?
    40million on him? No, its bull.

Really don't understand why we would be in for Cavani, unless it is woodward ploughing on with his superstar signing wish.

He is, apparently, unhappy at PSG because he has been pushed out wide to accomodate Ibra, and I can't see any different happening at United with RVP in Ibra's place. Don't see where LVG would plan on fitting him in.

Selling Rooney???

I can only see it if Rooney is on the way out and LvG plans on playing a sort-of 4-3-1-2 situation, with Mata/Kagawa playing #10 behind RVP and Cavani.

Other than that I can't see why United would bid for a player unhappy with his position, and presumably play him in that same position.

Macca07 wrote: »
    Seriously???

Vidal is a beast of a player, has proved it all season with Juve, and now in the World Cup against Spain.

Will it take an outstanding performance against Holland before you admit you were wrong?

I wouldn't give more than 30-35m for Vidal. There's quality out there for that price that would build for long term. United can't afford to throw 30m at every player and unlike City and Chelsea have finite resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Liam O wrote: »
    My speculation is 40m for Robben is absolute horseshìt of the highest order.

I agree, if we pay 40 million for him we will be the laughing stock of European football and the first number in every agents phone book. We don't need a Robben or a Cavani. We need a Hummels and a Schweinsteiger (possibly a younger version too if possible lol)

• Advertisement

Macca07 wrote: »
    Seriously???

admit what?? yes he is a world class player but he is 27 and plays a box to box midfielder role, his legs wont carry him forever. 30m maybe 35 would be a fair bid. what do people here expect his price to be?? if we were going to pay 40m + why not just buy Pogba who is 21!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

admit what?? yes he is a world class player but he is 27 and plays a box to box midfielder role, his legs wont carry him forever. 30m maybe 35 would be a fair bid. what do people here expect his price to be?? if we were going to pay 40m + why not just buy Pogba who is 21!

I don't get why you are saying "he's 27" as if it is a bad thing. He is back smack in the middle of the prime of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

No guarantees the likes of Pogba would want to return to United. Vidal is unreal, 30-35 for a player in his prime would be alright, he'd be just what we need too so wouldn't mind paying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

40 million for Robben would be idiotic, considering his age. He is a player I'd love to see at OT, but not at that type of money.

It does seem that Woodward is still chasing the BIG signing. If that is the case, the BIG signing should be a player we need - a central midfielder, not another striker. We can't even accommodate the strikers we currently have. It would be such a waste of money to blow 50m on Cavani. For that money we could probably land Kroos and a really good centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lord TSC wrote: »
    But I do find it weird that people go on about what we "need" when they also don't know what LVG has planned with regards shipping out people.

Because what we "need" is very ****ing obvious.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I don't get why you are saying "he's 27" as if it is a bad thing. He is back smack in the middle of the prime of his career.

not a bad thing but he is all action type midfielder. you don't see many box to box 30 year olds around? I would love him at united, but lets not forget he just had knee surgery as well. If there was a choice of 30m vidal or 40m pogba I would go pogba all day long

• Advertisement

Juventus need a striker...United could do with a Juve midfielder.
    My off the wall speculation... United after Cavani to replace Rooney, Rooney sold to Juve as part of a deal to land either Vidal or Pogba. Rooney plus cash = Juve midfielder????
    I am sure Rooney would be happy to remain in the CL.

Or maybe Rooney is converted into a midfielder...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Because what we "need" is very ****ing obvious.

What we need is based on who is going as much as who we have, and the likes of Woodward and LVG would be more privy to that than us. We obviously still need a Lb and 2 CM players, but if there are departures we don't know about yet, then the list of what we need will grow too.

not a bad thing but he is all action type midfielder. you don't see many box to box 30 year olds around? I would love him at united, but lets not forget he just had knee surgery as well. If there was a choice of 30m vidal or 40m pogba I would go pogba all day long

Gerrard only stopped last year and he's what now 33-34?

Timmyctc wrote: »

Because a lot players don't adapt to the PL in their first season. I'm not sure why but it's a pretty long list and United can't afford for their 40-50m statement to do that, you'll have the hounds out like they are for Fellaini. People will say bow much better Vidal is than Fellaini but better players than even Vidal have come in and been shakey for their first season. I struggle to see the logic spending that much when as shown by Rakitic there is quality out there for hakf what people are advocating for Vidal. Sure Vidal himself moved for 15m a few seasons back, he's hardly that much better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I think VG will attempt to convert Rooney to a midfielder, and if he doesn't go along with it, he will be shipped out pronto.
    If Rooney has another poor world cup, he may well need to re-evaluate his belief on where he should be playing positionally.

• Advertisement

Juventus need a striker...United could do with a Juve midfielder.
    My off the wall speculation... United after Cavani to replace Rooney, Rooney sold to Juve as part of a deal to land either Vidal or Pogba. Rooney plus cash = Juve midfielder????
    I am sure Rooney would be happy to remain in the CL.

Or maybe Rooney is converted into a midfielder...

they already have tevez, llorente, vucinic and Quagliarella unless one of them is being sold?

Gerrard only stopped last year and he's what now 33-34?

last year?? he played as a no10 for 2 years when torres was there and rafa played him on the right wing as he didn't have the discipline to play centre mid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I can only see it if Rooney is on the way out and LvG plans on playing a sort-of 4-3-1-2 situation, with Mata/Kagawa playing #10 behind RVP and Cavani.

Other than that I can't see why United would bid for a player unhappy with his position, and presumably play him in that same position.

Has LvG been known to play a 4-3-1-2 formation in the past? I'd love to see how it'd work with Rooney and RVP up front, with Mata playing behind.

.............De Gea

Rafael Jones Evans Shaw

.......MF......MF......MF

...............Mata
    .........RVP........Rooney

If this was the lineup, who (from the current squad or new signings) would be ideal in midfield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Has LvG been known to play a 4-3-1-2 formation in the past? I'd love to see how it'd work with Rooney and RVP up front, with Mata playing behind.

De Gea

Rafael Jones Evans Shaw

MF MF MF

Mata
    RVP Rooney

If this was the lineup, who (from the current squad or new signings) would be ideal in midfield?

He was very complimentary in the way he spoke of Kagawa. I could see Kags being used as the most forward of the midfield three. For starters anyway.
    The other two positions are anyone's guess.

Adnan is the future, I want him in our midfield for the years to come... though you need someone with bite and a defensive midset to offset a teamsheet that's very top heavy, all attackers.

last year?? he played as a no10 for 2 years when torres was there and rafa played him on the right wing as he didn't have the discipline to play centre mid.

He has pretty much played CM for most of his career especially with England, even as a number 10 he would bomb back, just accept that your Vidal statement was ridiculous and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Don't buy this "converting Rooeny to CM".

Why take, despite the debate, a top quality forwward/striker and deploy him in midfield?

Go buy a midfielder. We arn't a club with a short budget where we need to re-train. At the level we operate we need people that have experience in their position.

Cavani stuff makes little to no sense to me. He's unhappy that he is playing out wide of a front 3 at PSG, for all intensive purposes could be doing the same if he comes here. With RVP up the middle.

Although I noticed in the Spain game and the Australia game RVP operating wide for large parts, with Sneijder taking up a more central position of the three.

Do think it's fascinating to see how we will line up, and the new season cant come soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lord TSC wrote: »
    What we need is based on who is going as much as who we have

What we need are midfielders and a left back, and that doesn't change in the slightest no matter who stays or goes.

Wouldn't mind a good clearout. Our defence is terrible, but I have to accept there's no way we're getting in a whole new defence. Carrick needs to go, he offers nothing..

Wouldn't mind a good clearout. Our defence is terrible, but I have to accept there's no way we're getting in a whole new defence. Carrick needs to go, he offers nothing..

for about 5 years he was one of uniteds most important players

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement