Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

bangkok wrote: »
    for about 5 years he was one of uniteds most important players

So he should be kept on sentiment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Wouldn't mind a good clearout. Our defence is terrible, but I have to accept there's no way we're getting in a whole new defence. Carrick needs to go, he offers nothing..

Thats not correct. He isn't up to it lately but he could be a good squad player. He hardly offers nothing. Wild exaggeration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Where can one find the prize breakdown for the World Cup sweep neVer was running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So he should be kept on sentiment?

Do you see us buying 5 central midfielders?

We currently have Carrick, Cleverley, Fellaini, Fletcher and Anderson.

Carrick would be the very last one of those I would sell/move on. Actually, what I have written above is a good order to how much I would like each to be kept.

I just really can't see the argument for selling the only midfielder we have that has shown himself to be sufficiently capable for us at some point in the last two or three seasons.

Carrick would be the very last one of those I would sell/move on. Actually, what I have written above is a good order to how much I would like each to be kept.

I just really can't see the argument for selling the only midfielder we have that has shown himself to be sufficiently capable for us at some point in the last two or three seasons.

Yes Mitch because asking that question was me saying lets buy 5 CM's! I said it because he didn't come back with a arguement he just came out it he was a good player for a few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The best argument for keeping Carrick is comparing him to our other options.

Unfortunately it is also the only argument for keeping Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Understandably yesterdays fixture list isn't generating many headlines but with the opening run of games we have we could easily build up a six or so points gap at the top by the time we face City or Chelsea.

The best argument for keeping Carrick is comparing him to our other options.

Unfortunately it is also the only argument for keeping Carrick.

Hes on the decline sure, but he is the most dependable CM we have at the min. He is also a home grown player and its good to have an experienced CM like him in the squad. If we bought 2 new CM (heres hoping), Id like to have Carrick in the squad too. Felliani and Cleverly will most likely be kept on too. Fletch may be gone and Anderson looks like a cert to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

thelad95 wrote: »
    Understandably yesterdays fixture list isn't generating many headlines but with the opening run of games we have we could easily build up a six or so points gap at the top by the time we face City or Chelsea.

Same happens at the start of the new year, we have what should be winnable games in a good run, then into a tough March/April, but we have a chance to build momentum and maybe a gap before the really tough games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Same happens at the start of the new year, we have what should be winnable games in a good run, then into a tough March/April, but we have a chance to build momentum and maybe a gap before the really tough games.

I would have said United of old chomping at that list. Typically much stronger after the Christmas run of fixtures coming into the business end of the season.

Experienced in chasing and leading titles to get through the tough winter programme grinding out results, and managing leads, or catching up on leaders towards the end.

Have to wonder if that years of nearly assumption, that United blaze into the second half of the season, is gone now after last year. Or if it will make a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

for about 5 years he was one of uniteds most important players

He had one solid season, 2 seasons ago where I begrudgingly admitted he was vital... last year coming back from injury he offered nothing. I don't see how that equates to 5 years.

He's not mobile, he was bought for the killer pass, unlocking the defence and he spends most of his time passing sideways, he's an alright tackler, but opposing midfields just breezed past us last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

uggybear wrote: »
    Can I just ask, if you watch all of Utd's games on tv and would prefer not to go to a football match because of the volatile and toxic atmosphere
    (and plus it's so bloody expensive!) does that make you less of a fan? Got criticised last season online from a regular match-going fan for saying "pity the last two games aren't on tv" to which he replied "not good enough, try turning up eh?". :rolleyes:

The only atmosphere I can imagine being "toxic and volatile" would be Leeds away, or possibly Liverpool away (United fans had piss thrown at them a few seasons ago). It's never felt like that at Old Trafford, even sitting right in the middle of the more vocal fans in Stretty T2.

Comments like that are very useful to highlight the dickheads of a forum. Most people don't even bother engaging with drivel like that.
    Just ignore it, got told by a United fan who lived a few mins from Old trafford that I wasnt a fan because I'm not from Manchester, saying this guy was aggressive about it would be a understatement!

Oh no, you like a team that some random guy, who you don't care about, says you shouldn't like. F*cks given = 0.

Never actually had a conversation/comment like that in person. I would have laughed in his face.

v3ttel wrote: »
    The only atmosphere I can imagine being "toxic and volatile" would be Leeds away, or possibly Liverpool away (United fans had piss thrown at them a few seasons ago). It's never felt like that at Old Trafford, even sitting right in the middle of the more vocal fans in Stretty T2.

Comments like that are very useful to highlight the dickheads of a forum. Most people don't even bother engaging with drivel like that.

Oh no, you like a team that some random guy, who you don't care about, says you shouldn't like. F*cks given = 0.

Never actually had a conversation/comment like that in person. I would have laughed in his face.

I pretty much did, told him to **** off that if I could I would go to every game I could and that I buy enough merchandise every year, Asked him did he subscribe to MUFC he said no, I laughed again and said who's the **** fan now :P

You're your own person, just because you don't go to matches or even dislike going to matches doesn't make you any less of a fan. Do your own thing and be happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

He had one solid season, 2 seasons ago where I begrudgingly admitted he was vital... last year coming back from injury he offered nothing. I don't see how that equates to 5 years.

He's not mobile, he was bought for the killer pass, unlocking the defence and he spends most of his time passing sideways, he's an alright tackler, but opposing midfields just breezed past us last season.

1 solid season??? if you asked any united player they will all say carrick was one of the most important players in the squad. even Ferdinand on the bbc when they were talking about busquets said a lot of the fans don't see all the interceptions simple passing the work rate etc and he compared him to carrick at united.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If we have an interested foreign club, sell Rooney.

He's not going to usurp RVP at Lone striker, he's not as good as Mata (and arguably Kagawa) at number 10, he's shown for England that he can't play on either flank. Too old / unwilling to be adapted to a central midfield role.

He's a good player (not world class) but I honestly think his departure could benefit the team rather than weaken it.

Bad thing is, he's bullied the club into giving him such ridiculous wages that only a few clubs are viable transfer targets.

I'm well aware that mine is not a popular opinion amount utd fans, but it's mine regardless.

Fenix wrote: »
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. If we have an interested foreign club, sell Rooney.

He's not going to usurp RVP at Lone striker, he's not as good as Mata (and arguably Kagawa) at number 10, he's shown for England that he can't play on either flank. Too old / unwilling to be adapted to a central midfield role.

He's a good player (not world class) but I honestly think his departure could benefit the team rather than weaken it.

Bad thing is, he's bullied the club into giving him such ridiculous wages that only a few clubs are viable transfer targets.

I'm well aware that mine is not a popular opinion amount utd fans, but it's mine regardless

Thats the whole point of a discussion site, if we all had the same opinion it be awful.

I agree with you. I think Rooney leaving could benefit United more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Thats the whole point of a discussion site, if we all had the same opinion it be awful.

I agree with you. I think Rooney leaving could benefit United more.

Yea, however, it's not like people don't get slated when posting an unpopular opinion ;)

Yea, however, it's not like people don't get slated when posting an unpopular opinion ;)

Hmmm could be a difference though

Unpopular: Sell Rooney/Keep Rooney

Ridiculous: Keep Young :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

miralize wrote: »
    ... except Vermaelen is Belgian

Ya I know it probably wasn't clear but I meant LVG teams defending is sometimes like a free for all and if he brings the same to United and buys Vermaelen with Jones and Smalling in the same defence it will be disastrous, I'll be watching from being the couch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ya I know it probably wasn't clear but I meant LVG teams defending is sometimes like a free for all and if he brings the same to United and buys Vermaelen with Jones and Smalling in the same defence it will be disastrous, I'll be watching from being the couch

I don't know. I'm kind of excited for the return of "Ye score 2, we'll score 3!" mentality! :pac:

1 solid season??? if you asked any united player they will all say carrick was one of the most important players in the squad. even Ferdinand on the bbc when they were talking about busquets said a lot of the fans don't see all the interceptions simple passing the work rate etc and he compared him to carrick at united.

Put under any pressure he crumbles. He got one goal and 0 assists last season. When you compare this to the output of the midfielders in the teams in the top four you can see why we've struggled. He hasn't even been screening the defence well...

The only reason Rooney tracks back into midfield is because what's behind him isn't pulling their weight, thus leaving Rooney a fair less effective striker.

And to butt in on the other discussion mentioned. Rooney could be very useful for United if he played as a striker, and was forced to stay up field where he can do more damage. He does a decent enough job on the wing and dropping back into midfield, but still he's a striker, he should be up the field getting goals, not tracking back all be it admirably helping out Evra at LB.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I read an article on how United are going to stun the world in buying Ronaldo back....all based on odds falling at Skybet.
    If only, we would already have Ronaldo, Kroos, Fabregas, Herrera, list goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭crank_1975

I'm well aware that mine is not a popular opinion amount utd fans, but it's mine regardless.

Totally agree with this, if anything he is more likely to become a destabilising influence at the club than to get back to his previous goalscoring form. Based on anecdotal evidence LVG won't stand for any of his nonsense and the worst case scenario would be Rooney training with the reserves a la Winston Bogarde at Chelsea a few years back except Rooney is on €300K + per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

RobertKK wrote: »
    I read an article on how United are going to stun the world in buying Ronaldo back....all based on odds falling at Skybet.
    If only, we would already have Ronaldo, Kroos, Fabregas, Herrera, list goes on...

Ronaldo will never come back. As fergie said, be happy that we had him as long as we did. Great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Could Utd play with 2 up front and Mata behind? I'd like to see Rooney get at least 1 season with LvG to prove himself.

Ronaldo will never come back. As fergie said, be happy that we had him as long as we did. Great memories.

So true, it was just the silly piece I read based on odds, which was just so stupid, I had to share :pac:

crank_1975 wrote: »
    Totally agree with this, if anything he is more likely to become a destabilising influence at the club than to get back to his previous goalscoring form. Based on anecdotal evidence LVG won't stand for any of his nonsense and the worst case scenario would be Rooney training with the reserves a la Winston Bogarde at Chelsea a few years back except Rooney is on €300K + per week.

If his form continues from the WC opener, I cant see anyone from Europe buying him. Should have let him go to Chelsea last year IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

v3ttel wrote: »

So what? It's my opinion and no, it's not "drivel" it's 100% fact. Yes "toxic" may not be the right word but hurling abuse towards referees and opposition players is not right and is very unpleasant to witness but to me, it ruins my match day experience which is why I stopped going over to watch football matches.

Could Utd play with 2 up front and Mata behind? I'd like to see Rooney get at least 1 season with LvG to prove himself.

Yes, with the right midfielders to support it.

• Advertisement

If his form continues from the WC opener, I cant see anyone from Europe buying him. Should have let him go to Chelsea last year IMO

The money quoted was pretty abysmal... Chelsea obviously hadn't adding the English tax to the 25-30 million to were supposed to have offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nah, hindsight is great but if Utd had sold him at that time, it would be waving a white flag at the beginning of Moyes reign.

What I want to see is some additions to the squad that are badly needed, not cherry pick some of our better players and say "sell them".

With the departures/retirements already, there is major surgery needed to the squad, probably 4 players minimum needed and those four would need to be in the starting 11.

We just dont have the luxury of deciding who we think should leave for the better of the team. The business that needs to be done most likely wont get done, not this summer for sure. Last summer/season really was a disaster, as well as the late sacking of Moyes, and now the chickens are coming home to roost. Its going to take time. Its been let slip too far by the board.

Sacking Moyes at Christmas or even January may have stopped the rot but the boards inaction has left Utd with a long hill to climb back up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd like to see Rooney get at least 1 season with LvG to prove himself.

What the actual fùck! Since when does Rooney have to prove himself?

Some ridiculously short memories in this forum.

I think what he meant was to prove he's a starter... with Mata and Kagawa lauded by LVG recently.

LVG, and the vast majority of top managers, would love to have a player like Rooney in their team. Rooney isn't going anywhere, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

You think memories will keep him in the England team if he's ****e again tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Poor choice of words. What I meant is lets see how he fits into LvG system. If he's not a regular starter or played out of position then for his own sake I'd like to see him move on. But you can see from my previous 2 posts that I want Wayne starting....and not out of position. I want him up front with RVP.

Zico wrote: »
    You think memories will keep him in the England team if he's ****e again tonight?

England play crap and Rooney gets the blame. It was his pass that got them their goal. There arent many English players who would have nailed that pass.

He was played out of position and spent most of the game chasing after a full back. what do people expect from him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Zico wrote: »

Rooney created more chances than any other player in the England vs Italy game (3, including one assist).

I hope England bench Rooney and get absolutely bent over proving once and for all that it's not his fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Rooney created more chances than any other player in the England vs Italy game (3, including one assist).

I hope England bench Rooney and get absolutely bent over proving once and for all that it's not his fault.

**** that. As a United fan you want Rooney playing centrally and playing well. Any sort of form he can take into the new season is a good thing. His mood will be awful if he is benched and we go home in the group stages.

(I get your overall sentiment though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I think we saw what we need last night. Go get Vidal, 30 or 40 m who cares, just get him.

I think we saw what we need last night. Go get Vidal, 30 or 40 m who cares, just get him.

His energy levels are astounding. He didn't stop for the 85 minutes (approx) that he was on. That sort of commitment and energy would transform our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I'd say your's is more popular than you think, the hard on for RVP is a strong one these days particularly since we appointed LVG.

Rooney is getting it in the neck from all angles for one reason or another.

Personally I think Rooney is every bit as good as RVP as a lone central striker and he has proved it in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Rooney got a raw deal off the English press, going on about the chance he missed, you think it was a Ronnie Rosenthal miss the way the media was portraying it, they are always looking for someone to blame.

The team is abysmal, compare it to the team they had in 02 and 06, a wealth of talent at their disposal and still couldn't get by the quarter finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

It's almost like this with the English press:
    Win the game = praise the team
    Lose the game = blame their best player for missing a penalty/chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

England didn't score goals against Italy and lost. Somehow that's Rooney's fault for playing LW. We'll diregard the fact that Mr. Sturridge only scored the one, and lil' Raheem scored zilch and Danny Welbeck offered nothing either. Let us add in the fact that Gerrard and Henderson also offered nothing from midfield, and a 35 year old Andrea Pirlo (who is magnificant and beautiful in every way) didn't even break a sweat in the Italian midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The worst thing was that Rooney was being blamed by some of the English pundits for both not being the creator and scorer of our goals as well as not tracking his full back who was bombing on. We (England) might be doing the same to him as was done to Scholes which was a huge mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Rooney is far from the first Utd player targetted by the press because of his performances for England but he's the first one I've no sympathy for.

Rooney lost my respect permanently when he demanded his transfer first time round and now that he thinks he's worth £300,000 a week he deserves all the criticism he gets if he doesn't play like it, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd be delighted if we could just swap him for Hummels or Vidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

MagicIRL wrote: »
    England didn't score goals against Italy and lost. Somehow that's Rooney's fault for playing LW. We'll diregard the fact that Mr. Sturridge only scored the one, and lil' Raheem scored zilch and Danny Welbeck offered nothing either. Let us add in the fact that Gerrard and Henderson also offered nothing from midfield, and a 35 year old Andrea Pirlo (who is magnificant and beautiful in every way) didn't even break a sweat in the Italian midfield.

Pirlo's movement is truly a thing of beauty. Effortlessly glides around the place,drop of the shoulder, pop pass..gone. Genius. And that beard...

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

From Andy Mittens latest piece in the M.E.N.
    "Edison Cavani is Uruguay’s other key man. The Paris St Germain forward has an offer to join United. Cavani, 27, likes the prospect, but wouldn’t want a repeat of his situation in Paris where he plays second fiddle to Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Cavani, the sixth most expensive player in the world since his €64 million transfer from Napoli to Paris a year ago, feels he’s good enough to be the leading striker at a club and is wary of joining United given Robin van Persie’s status.

The Dutchman struggled with injury last season and didn’t always enjoy the same positive relationship with David Moyes which he has with new United boss Louis van Gaal. That was evident as Holland got off to an epic start against Spain, with the sublime Van Persie scoring twice and that bodes well for United next season. Cavani scored himself in Uruguay’s opening game, but it ended disastrously for his team."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement