Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Zico wrote: »
    he thinks he's worth £300,000 a week

He's not getting paid that amount though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Rooney is far from the first Utd player targetted by the press because of his performances for England but he's the first one I've no sympathy for.

Rooney lost my respect permanently when he demanded his transfer first time round and now that he thinks he's worth £300,000 a week he deserves all the criticism he gets if he doesn't play like it, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd be delighted if we could just swap him for Hummels or Vidal.

Why do his wages bother you?

Ronaldo wanted to leave and made no secret of it, did you permanently loose respect for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ericzeking wrote: »

Ronaldo wanted to leave and made no secret of it, did you permanently loose respect for him?

Ronaldo situation was different.

He didnt then change his mind and take on a bumper contract. Ronaldo said he wanted to leave to Madrid, which is THE big club for people in that region. He was convinced to stay another year, and in fairness did so, with the agreement he could go next season.

It was amicable, it was respectful, Ronaldo got the head down and was incredible. Granted we didn't know all this until after the fact, if anything it gave me a lot more respect for Ronaldo. Fergie believed there was another CL on the horizon, didn't work out that way and he went, still mostly lauded by our fans.

Rooney has twice schemed a move, found out he's not as highly regarded in Europe as his agent might have made him think, and then ended up with a new contract, each time.

There was a pretty big difference. The amount of money doesn't bother me persay, but the club bending to his will certainly does. We've now made him an undroppable player on that salary, and to a point where we most likely won't be able to sell him. No one in Europe would pay 300k a week for Rooney.

No one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I keep popping my head in here hopefully, but it always come back to this:
    TheBunk1 wrote: »
    ....Six hours, nineteen minutes, right ascension, fourteen degrees, twenty-two minutes declination... no signing.

Six hours, nineteen minutes, right ascension, fourteen degrees, twenty-three minutes declination... no signing.

Six hours, nineteen minutes, right ascension, fourteen degrees, fifty-eight minutes declination! ...no signing.

55568.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

He's not getting paid that amount though.

Isn't that the thing though, he is getting that but 'only' £180K a week is from United.

If I remember correctly he signed a new contract under the same pay conditions but free to organise lucrative deals using his name for himself, thus the club does not get the money, he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

TheDoc wrote: »

He didnt then change his mind and take on a bumper contract. Ronaldo said he wanted to leave to Madrid, which is THE big club for people in that region. He was convinced to stay another year, and in fairness did so, with the agreement he could go next season.

It was amicable, it was respectful, Ronaldo got the head down and was incredible. Granted we didn't know all this until after the fact, if anything it gave me a lot more respect for Ronaldo. Fergie believed there was another CL on the horizon, didn't work out that way and he went, still mostly lauded by our fans.

Rooney has twice schemed a move, found out he's not as highly regarded in Europe as his agent might have made him think, and then ended up with a new contract, each time.

There was a pretty big difference. The amount of money doesn't bother me persay, but the club bending to his will certainly does. We've now made him an undroppable player on that salary, and to a point where we most likely won't be able to sell him. No one in Europe would pay 300k a week for Rooney.

No one

They are different situations true enough, but Ronaldo did have his head turned and got what was best for him, personally.

It was all about what was best for him, and that is what Rooney was doing too, although he could have done it in a better/different way, it's his agent I would have the gripe with.

Still, I don't get why people are so caught up with wages, if it's one thing the Glazers and Woodward are good at, it's the sums so why would we care about it.... and then I don't get why it's acceptable in any other profession to get the best contract for yourself and your family by whatever means are available to you and yet it's not for soccer players. Angling for a move in the press is their primary move to get a better deal. It's business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

No one

I don't think rooney would go abroad to play anyway, his wife wants to live close to her parents. and most players have done this to get better contracts, roy keane did it with Bayern Munich, giggs with Inter Milan, gerrard with Chelsea, suarez arsenal, most of the Bayern munich squad with man utd!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Some people seem to have rewritten history in their own heads so refresh your Rooney memories here

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/10/22/2173724/the-definitive-timeline-wayne-rooneys-controversial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

You's hate Rooney a lot.

wrong bloody thread again, my bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

MagicIRL wrote: »
    England didn't score goals against Italy and lost. Somehow that's Rooney's fault for playing LW. We'll diregard the fact that Mr. Sturridge only scored the one, and lil' Raheem scored zilch and Danny Welbeck offered nothing either. Let us add in the fact that Gerrard and Henderson also offered nothing from midfield, and a 35 year old Andrea Pirlo (who is magnificant and beautiful in every way) didn't even break a sweat in the Italian midfield.

The media definitely have an agenda regarding Rooney but that doesn't mean they aren't right from time to time. It was a great pass for the goal but Rooney did not have a great game and in my opinion was the least effective of the forward players.

Like it or not he was supposed to be a world class player and people are still judging him by that standard, but the fact is that he isn't playing like a world class player.
    ericzeking wrote: »

If Rooney was performing anywhere close to Ronaldo standard we wouldn't have a problem with his wages either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The media definitely have an agenda regarding Rooney but that doesn't mean they aren't right from time to time. It was a great pass for the goal but Rooney did not have a great game and in my opinion was the least effective of the forward players.

Like it or not he was supposed to be a world class player and people are still judging him by that standard, but the fact is that he isn't playing like a world class player..

He's a world class striker, he's not a world class winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I think hes an inconsistent World Class Striker. When hes on form he can be unstoppable, hes just not always on form, therefore gets flack

• What's the latest transfer bull****e?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What's the latest transfer bull****e?

M!CK changes from MUFC fan to Liverpool fan.

Its more or less as believable as what the latest Transfer Rumor is! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I agree.

England either need to play Rooney up front or drop him. Playing him on the wing is just more of the same rubbish that saw Lampard and Gerrard getting in each others way for years, picking the best players instead of the best team.

Rooneys problem is that he hasn't made himself undroppable as a striker. He is actually suffering from playing as a number ten for United, if he had played up front for United and scored 30 goals last season then it wouldn't matter what Sturridge did, Rooney would be playing up front and it would be Sturridge trying to squeeze in somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

He wasn't playing on the wing at the last World Cup and he was just as ineffectual.

He hasn't been world class for a long time, if he ever was apart from the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bray Wanderers to host Man United 'reserves' next month, July 20th. Hope i can grab some tickets for that. Will be a very very young squad I imagine.

With players taking a break after the WC, I can see some of the 'reserve' players heading to america on the tour. Michael Keane and Wilson in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

He wasn't playing on the wing at the last World Cup and he was just as ineffectual.

He had the potential to be truly world class, but I'd say he's never really fulfilled that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ineffectual? Firstly, he was injured going into the last world cup, secondly, you did see his assist the other night yeah? As already said, he created more chances than any other player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Bray Wanderers to host Man United 'reserves' next month, July 20th. Hope i can grab some tickets for that. Will be a very very young squad I imagine.

With players taking a break after the WC, I can see some of the 'reserve' players heading to america on the tour. Michael Keane and Wilson in particular.

Hopefully Varela too. Very impressive for U21s and IMO deserves to be in the first team squad as we don't even have any RB apart from Rafael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Gaal played both RVP and Robben up front a few times during qualification and friendlies so he could easily put both Rooney and RVP up top with Mata in behind and then a strong midfield 3 which Kagawa could possibly fit into as well.

Relying on wingbacks to provide the width in that case

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Hopefully Varela too. Very impressive for U21s and IMO deserves to be in the first team squad as we don't even have any RB apart from Rafael.

I think he looks a steal at the price £1.7M or so paid for him. He looks very impressive and is a very attack minded LB. Forget whether the deal was in place before Moyes came or was he scouted by Moyes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think he looks a steal at the price £1.7M or so paid for him. He looks very impressive and is a very attack minded LB. Forget whether the deal was in place before Moyes came or was he scouted by Moyes?

He was signed before Moyes. He also plays RB, not LB, if I recall correctly.

I think its both, I heard before he signed he was a LB but obviously been playing RB recently.

Sorry, I meant RB. Somehow typed LB :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think its both, I heard before he signed he was a LB but obviously been playing RB recently.
    Never seen him play lb for United or internationally when I've seen him for their youths.

He was officially signed after moyes arrived, but had been on trial the previous season and very likely the deal was done before moyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Van Gaal played both RVP and Robben up front a few times during qualification and friendlies so he could easily put both Rooney and RVP up top with Mata in behind and then a strong midfield 3 which Kagawa could possibly fit into as well.

Relying on wingbacks to provide the width in that case

This.
    It's what I expect VG to go with. For it to work we would need to add one very mobile player to the midfield. Vidal would be the ideal player to be added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

One of the UK rags claiming a bid being put together for Luis Gustavo

That would be a rubbish signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Don't worry about it, it won't ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Whether we're looking at a 2 or a 3 man midfield it's hard to look past Vidal as the perfect signing. The guy is warrior. If there is any truth to LVG liking him in the past and regretting not getting a chance to sign him, then with our transfer budget you would imagine he could well be on the radar.

Pjanic might be another great signing for us. He's not as all action as Vidal but the guy is very classy and composed on the ball, he has a great range of passing, doesn't give possession away easily and has a lovely first touch.

Also, If we end up being narrow across the middle we'll need top notch fullbacks with huge engines to provide width. Blind looks very promising(admittedly based only on his WC performances).

• Advertisement

Would he have signed for Bayern Munich when LVG was in charge there? If so, he's clearly a fan of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

bangkok wrote: »
    I don't think rooney would go abroad to play anyway, his wife wants to live close to her parents. and most players have done this to get better contracts, roy keane did it with Bayern Munich, giggs with Inter Milan, gerrard with Chelsea, suarez arsenal, most of the Bayern munich squad with man utd!!!

Other then maybe Keane none of them actually did it to get better contracts

Giggs was out of favour, fans on his back, Fergie losing faith seemingly, Inter came sniffing.

Suarez wanted to leave Liverpool
    Gerrard agreed to join Chelsea then U turned (hardly due to a couple of threats)
    Keane was showing the club he had options, I don't think he would have left though so you might be able to include him

Showing your current employer that you have others willing to pay you the market rate for someone of your stature is not a bad thing per se

How Rooney has conducted himself is a different matter entirely, Ronaldo is no angel either you know, the whole slavery thing and some of his antics do tend to get glossed over, but at least he was pretty much up front about what he wanted and did his job professionally in the meantime.

Ineffectual? Firstly, he was injured going into the last world cup, secondly, you did see his assist the other night yeah? As already said, he created more chances than any other player.

I'm afraid you just don't get it, unless Rooney tracks his man back to the edge of the England box, wins the ball from him with a Lionheart tackle, dribbles down the wing beating man after man and producing the most exquisite cross, before dashing into the box to finish off said cross

He will never be a world class striker.

beakerjoe wrote: »

Nope

I was calling for him to be signed last summer. Would make sense. A defensive midfielder who can cover as centre back.
    We would still need another midfielder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I was calling for him to be signed last summer. Would make sense. A defensive midfielder who can cover as centre back.
    We would still need another midfielder.

Not on here though?

I actually did suggest him last summer, on here, as a signing, but I have to be honest I havent followed his progress the season just gone, but going off how he is playing for Brazil I wouldnt have much interest unless Carrick was leaving, even then it would be thin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Rooney should retire from international football after this, Im not his biggest fan but this English vendetta is turning into a joke, Hansen blaming him for Italy's 1st goal now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Rooney should retire from international football after this, Im not his biggest fan but this English vendetta is turning into a joke, Hansen blaming him for Italy's 1st goal now too.

It's pretty laughable alright. The guy provided a great assist for their only goal. One has to wonder why Hansen et al don't start ripping into captain stevie G considering how horrific he was against Italy. He added almost nothing to the performance and was invisible for the majority of the game. England were crying out for leadership in the midfield and he was left wanting to put it mildly.

It's pretty embarrassing how the English media give some players practically a free pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Quandary wrote: »
    It's pretty laughable alright. The guy provided a great assist for their only goal. One has to wonder why Hansen et al don't start ripping into captain stevie G considering how horrific he was against Italy. He added almost nothing to the performance and was invisible for the majority of the game. England were crying out for leadership in the midfield and he was left wanting to put it mildly.

It's pretty embarrassing how the English media give some players practically a free pass.

Its funny too because Rooney's performance was far from the worst received in the continental media. Gerrard, Baines and Cahill consistenly rated much lower. Rooney actually rated among the better from the two sides. England need their scapegoat and Rooney suits that perfectly for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

If not I hope you will join me for some cans in the upstairs area of Bray Bowl where you can see the pitch but not have to pay in.

It's all the rage here with the locals.

:)

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Not on here though?

I wasn't on boards a year ago...

I wasn't on boards a year ago...

Thats what I meant, it wasn't on here!

Its not important, at this stage the midfield is so sh*t it wouldn't be hard to get a good signing

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    If not I hope you will join me for some cans in the upstairs area of Bray Bowl where you can see the pitch but not have to pay in.

It's all the rage here with the locals.

:)

I might drop down to this too, Bray isn't too far away.

According to AS -
    Manchester United can sign Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira for €24m. [AS] #MUFC

Heard they might be selling him so would make sense to be linked with him.

According to AS -

Heard they might be selling him so would make sense to be linked with him.

Cheaper than last seasons 40million reported bid anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Not a fan of Khedira but again hes better than the lot we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Same here,it didn't do Scholes no harm retiring from it early,

In saying that if he bangs in a few tonight,the same media head will be all over him like flies to a cow sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Vidal looks like a great all round box to box midfielder, how would ye guys compare him to Roy keane in his prime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

It's like the South Park episode where the public won't leave britney spears alone.

Breaking News Gary Linekar, Wayne Rooney has just taken a piss on a lady bug.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement