Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

bmcc10 wrote: »
    No Kagawa :(
    That's my interest in this game gone right out the window.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-dutch-secret-to-soccer-success-field-hockey-1403045877?mod=trending_now_1

Hockey is the Dutch teams secret to success.

Apparently

In case ye didn't see it elsewhere already, so if we want to be any use at football in Ireland we need to get used to Hockey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

DM-ICE wrote: »
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-dutch-secret-to-soccer-success-field-hockey-1403045877?mod=trending_now_1

Apparently

In case ye didn't see it elsewhere already, so if we want to be any use at football in Ireland we need to get used to Hockey.

We are used to it. We often get hockeyed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Apparently

Ah yes,I can see why they like hockey in Holland :)

149477339.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Apparently

Jasus imagine the hurling lads involved we wouldn't finish a game with 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Have to feel for Kagawa. Ferguson didn't have the coy or genius to implement him and Moyes was just a butcher who didn't know what to do with him. Despite van Gaal coming in, surely, Kagawa should be looking to get out at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yeah Kagawa, hope he scores.

Kagawa is playing very well since he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

glued wrote: »
    Have to feel for Kagawa. Ferguson didn't have the coy or genius to implement him and Moyes was just a butcher who didn't know what to do with him. Despite van Gaal coming in, surely, Kagawa should be looking to get out at this stage.
    Kagawa is a very good talent. But there is always excuses being made for him. Moyes didn't utilise him but he needs to do alot better.

• Advertisement

• MD1990 wrote: »
    Kagawa is a very good talent. But there is always excuses being made for him. Moyes didn't utilise him but he needs to do alot better.
    Who exactly is making excuses for him?

Van Gaal played both RVP and Robben up front a few times during qualification and friendlies so he could easily put both Rooney and RVP up top with Mata in behind and then a strong midfield 3 which Kagawa could possibly fit into as well.

Relying on wingbacks to provide the width in that case

Watching Japan play and Kagawa when he came on, I was thinking the same and came across your post with the same idea (had missed it earlier).

I think this is what LVG should do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

...............DDG............
    Raf..Evans..Smalling..Evra
    ...............Gustavo............
    ......Kagawa......Strootman....
    ..................Mata..............
    ............RVP.....Rooney.......

I'm not happy with Gustavo in there as I think he's fairly dodgy and the games for Brazil haven't done him any good but seeing as we were linked earlier I threw him in.

Raf and Evra will hopefully not be the wingback pairing if indeed LVG wants to go this way as we'll need far better quality to provide the width, Evans and Smalling the pairing I'd go with from what we have but again I'm hoping Van Gaal brings in and experienced CB.

As it stands we've no idea what he will or won't do, the first game with him in charge will be a real learning experience for us as we should see what way he wants to go. I can't wait for it tbh.

I'm not happy with Gustavo in there as I think he's fairly dodgy and the games for Brazil haven't done him any good but seeing as we were linked earlier I threw him in.

Raf and Evra will hopefully not be the wingback pairing if indeed LVG wants to go this way as we'll need far better quality to provide the width, Evans and Smalling the pairing I'd go with from what we have but again I'm hoping Van Gaal brings in and experienced CB.

As it stands we've no idea what he will or won't do, the first game with him in charge will be a real learning experience for us as we should see what way he wants to go. I can't wait for it tbh.

Yeah, it makes sense to incorporate Kagawa in this way, along with Mata and the two strikers.
    I suspect LVG will use different formations and so will make use of the good player we currently have.

Getting onto rumours, some unreliable sources are saying Valencia could be sold for £8 million to Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

^^

Could you swap Khedira for Gustavo I wonder?

Would prefer a new CB also, just one to partner either Evans/ Jones or Smalling.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

MD1990 wrote: »

Kagawa deserves a sustained run in the center no.10 role ahead of Rooney before he is cut free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

^^

Could you swap Khedira for Gustavo I wonder?

Would prefer a new CB also, just one to partner either Evans/ Jones or Smalling.

I would much prefer if we moved for Illarramendi rather than Khedira. He was outstanding last summer in the u-21 Euros, and moved to Real for over €30 million. Don't know how much game time he got last season (I would think most were as sub), some reports that Real may be offering him on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Ah yes,I can see why they like hockey in Holland :)

149477339.jpg

Not a decent pair on any of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

glued wrote: »

why? lets call a spade a spade, kagawa has been a poor for united. A couple of good games here and there is not good enough for a man utd player. why does he get a free pass when someone like welbeck actually plays well for united gets slaughtered by a few people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

bangkok wrote: »
    why? lets call a spade a spade, kagawa has been a poor for united. A couple of good games here and there is not good enough for a man utd player. why does he get a free pass when someone like welbeck actually plays well for united gets slaughtered by a few people

He doesn't get a free pass, he is criticised(even by himself!), the difference I guess is that people understand there are mitigating factors for why he hasnt performed at a high level consistently

If Rooney was played from the left all the time would you just say he was ****e or would you understand that he is not as effective from that position and is not playing to his strengths at all?

Another factor is, the attacking play last season was sterile (he was actually ok under Fergie, just hampered by injury, the signs were good though) there was no good movement or link up play in the forward line, don't care who you are, you will struggle to shine in that set up when your game is based around quick passing and movement to unlock defenses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Not a hope in hell that the above team will be what he plays or is anywhere near good enough to win a league imo. There are faster pub teams than the above. And no width. LVG likes pace and width. You wont get that with Mata, Kawaga, Rooney , Strootman and RVP in the one team

• Advertisement

Vermaelen has said the rumours about him joining United are not true.

Vidal with Schweinsteiger/Kroos with Kagawa...in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Time to liven up this thread.

10377239_686525554717676_7379963976001769007_n.jpg

"gerrards been a great player for Liverpool, but hes not a great player"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

What a miserable end of season for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

An unbelievable attention seeker on the pitch. Was rooting for Liverpool to win the EPL, but couldn't help but enjoy his own personal implosion.

Similarly rooting for England pretty hard last night, but enjoyed the Uruguay goal a lot due to Gerrard's "lookatme" playing style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Not one to bask in my own predictions, but did say, and I believe openly in a few places on the forum, the talk of Gerrard being a great holding midfielder, and "reinvented" is the biggest load of smoke I've seen in years.

Called he'd cost England big time and be a noticable problem. Was pretty evident in the two matches thus far. No controlling of the game, has never appeared an intelligent player positionally, and while Carrick might have had a ropey season, is far superior to Gerrard in that role.

World cups expose weakness' and make them glaring.

Johnson at right back, the Jagielka/Cahill combo and Gerrard were standout issues in that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Think LVG will play a 5-3-2 formation like he's done with the dutch in this world cup. Jones/smalling/evans at the back. Needs 2 pacy wing backs. Raf being one. Evra/shaw(maybe). So evra might not have to concentrate so much on defending. Rooney and Rvp up top and Kagawa/Mata behind.
    2 central midfielders to do the donkey work and just break up play,distribute the ball. Fellaini and Carrick.[any other signing made to replace one of them].

Think the people to lose out under LVG will be Young/Nani. Not sure where Januzi will fit in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

we will need better wingbacks than Rafael and Evra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I have a lot of appreciation for Gerrard as a player but I always found him far too selfish to ever be a part of a consistently successful side.

What irks me about him is this Steven Gerrard football saviour aura his has about himself. He's probably the most hypocritical footballer of the modern era.

I think it's impossible for LvG to leave that Dutch squad and not bring one or two players with him.

I think Strootman is a given once fit. Depay, Blind, de Vrij, Martins Indi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Think LVG will play a 5-3-2 formation like he's done with the dutch in this world cup. Jones/smalling/evans at the back. Needs 2 pacy wing backs. Raf being one. Evra/shaw(maybe). So evra might not have to concentrate so much on defending. Rooney and Rvp up top and Kagawa/Mata behind.
    2 central midfielders to do the donkey work and just break up play,distribute the ball. Fellaini and Carrick.[any other signing made to replace one of them].

Think the people to lose out under LVG will be Young/Nani. Not sure where Januzi will fit in.
    Considering it is a formation he decided on due to necessity and not one used much at all in his long career, i would be surprised if it was his starting plan for United. I would imagine he would be more likely to be looking to bring in players to suit a formation and style he has used more predominately in the rest of his career.

If Strootman was fit this summer, Holland would not be playing 532.

Depends if we he is in for Shaw, which im starting to think he isnt. Blind may come with him.
    Maybe LVG doesnt want Shaw. I dont see why it wouldnt be announced if it was all sorted. Southampton have their new manager in place and all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I pretty much think the exact opposite.

There is no way I can see him playing 5-3-2 at United. We currently only have 3 fit first team CBs. I don't see him signing 2-3 others, when we desperately need a LB, 2 x CMs and a Winger.

And where would Januzaj fit in? On the left hand side of a 4-3-3 I'd say. I think he'll give Nani a fair chance too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Well if Holland go all the way LVG will have 35 days to the start of the season to transform United with new boys in place, A new Structure and training.

Hope he doesn't take a holiday lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

we will need better wingbacks than Rafael and Evra

As much as I like Rafael and think he will find his form of 2 seasons ago, if we are to replace him I would like Aurier from Ivory Coast.

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Well if Holland go all the way LVG will have 35 days to the start of the season to transform United with new boys in place, A new Structure and training.

Hope he doesn't take a holiday lol

remember reading a while back that he doesn't plan on taking a break after the WC, he'll be in place at United the day or so after Holland are done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Suarez is some player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Heard that myself Mitch, which is why I am in two minds about how well I want the Dutch to do.

On the plus side of England's collapse, perhaps the Shaw deal will be finalised sooner. Players will take a break I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

If we do play 5-3-2 I can see Valencia being used as RB. Can't see any other way to fit him in considering his new deal.

• Advertisement

evra gets hard time bout his defending.. anyone notice baines "defending" for suarez first goal last night??

Suarez is some player

He is, and he added millions on to his transfer valuation last night!Liverpool fans may worry about Real Madrid or Barcelona putting in a bid now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

zorro2566 wrote: »
    He is, and he added millions on to his transfer valuation last night!Liverpool fans may worry about Real Madrid or Barcelona putting in a bid now!

Worrying about along time before last night.
    Last night he just done what he does

KH25 wrote: »
    If we do play 5-3-2 I can see Valencia being used as RB. Can't see any other way to fit him in considering his new deal.

there was some rumours of a new deal, but ive seen nothing official or in the papers. a quick google search returns nothing on him signing a new deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Heard that myself Mitch, which is why I am in two minds about how well I want the Dutch to do.

On the plus side of England's collapse, perhaps the Shaw deal will be finalised sooner. Players will take a break I am sure.

Shaws involvement is very much a non factor at this stage. I would have imagined, like any footballer does over the summer if away on int duty, has had a discussion with their agent, has indicated his desires and intentions, and confirmed a number of scenarios in terms of accepting or rejecting.

Agent will be dealing with this, the issue looks very much in relation to Southampton and their new manager, and possibly putting on a front for the fans that they wont sell their best players.

The chairman is being pretty bullish, we are probably going to be robbed moneywise for Shaw, and wouldn't be suprised if it carries on.

The only way to expadite this situation is Shaw handing in a tranfer request, as I believe Lovren has done. No club can hang onto a player who has formally asked to leave, its a rare situation.

Although it does look like Southampton hold al lthe cards here. They have hot property everyone wants a piece of, and can take clubs to the cleaners for their players.

I'd be lyig if I said I was easy with 30m for Shaw, and I believe that will probably go higher before the deal is done. Sorry but an 18 year old with one season of PL football, especially a defender, is nothing in the realm of 30m. Regardless of "one for the future" and all the craic.

I think if the club are smart they can play Shaw here( like so many have played us) and indicate to Shaw's agent that the coach is actually considering Blind, as he is a cheaper option financially to the club and has worked with the manager. Time for Woodward to learn how to play dirty.

Southampton playing a dangerous game imo. The chairman is playing billy big bollox holding out for top fees, if it puts clubs off and those players fail to hold that level next year, their value will plummet and never hit the height of NOW again. Lallana is someone who I think Southampton should be selling and gaining the top price. Wouldn't be shocked to see him have an average - poor season next year.

there was some rumours of a new deal, but ive seen nothing official or in the papers. a quick google search returns nothing on him signing a new deal.

BBC's Gossip column has Liverpool interested in our Tony V!

• Advertisement

Exclude Januzaj, the rest of the wingers are in serious trouble, they don't score enough goals, injury prone or simply not good enough.

Wouldn't be surprised to see two wingers signed who are on the prolific goal scoring and goal assist side of things.

As I posted earlier in this thread, United conceded the exact same number of league goals last season but scored 25% less goals.
    Overly dependent on RVP and Rooney.
    Mata was coming good scoring wise when he settled in.

Need prolific wingers and midfielders who score, Carrick, Cleverley, Fletcher are very poor in front of goal, we need to sign goalscorers.
    Coleman instead of Rafael for example.

It was the goal scoring problem that cost United and Moyes last season.
    Last season and the season before 43 goals conceded for each.
    Went from the mid 80s in goals scored in 12/13 season to mid 60s for 13/14 season.
    The wingers need to be sold and midfield finally fixed.
    Get the right players and United can score more than mid 80s league goals.

I would be optimistic United can challenge for the title next season with the right signings.
    Just buy proven consistent quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Ah, my mistake then. I didn't read too much into it at the time so I just assumed it had happening. Won't lie, it pleases me to hear that he hasn't actually been offered a new deal. He has offered nothing in the last 2 years and looks lost in crossing and shooting positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

bangkok wrote: »
    evra gets hard time bout his defending.. anyone notice baines "defending" for suarez first goal last night??

that would be jagielka's fault as he was the one tracking suarez and he was the one that kept suarez onside baines was never in a position to defend that cross

Worrying about along time before last night.
    Last night he just done what he does

Yes, but with the world watching!

A world class player like Suarez deserves to be at a world class club, hence why id imagine Real will bid and liverpool will jave no choice but to sell.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement