Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

A few of you seem to have gotten lost on the way here, here or here. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

NTMK wrote: »
    that would be jagielka's fault as he was the one tracking suarez and he was the one that kept suarez onside baines was never in a position to defend that cross

exactly, he was never in position was pointed out last night on tv as well, he is the left back looking straight at suarez, he should have been in the covering position. you can bet Ashley cole would have been

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I wonder who wants and how we can get rid of Ashley Young.

United would have to pay compensation for him to move elsewhere and be paid less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Robson99 wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell that the above team will be what he plays or is anywhere near good enough to win a league imo. There are faster pub teams than the above. And no width. LVG likes pace and width. You wont get that with Mata, Kawaga, Rooney , Strootman and RVP in the one team

He has played similar for Holland, if you move the ball quick enough you don't always need blistering pace. Anyway as I've said we'll need two quality wing backs to give us width

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

RobertKK wrote: »

United would have to pay compensation for him to move elsewhere and be paid less.

This is an issue I feel, with two years left on his contract he is liable for another £12M in wages over the next two seasons. Whilst he can still do a ob for someone he will not drop wages so we would have to supplement wages to a team who are wiling to take him. So do we keep him and hope LVG will get some return from him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I think we should be thankful that we didn't manage to blow another 20m on Baines last summer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 IgnatiousReily

It will be a deal similar to the one that Utd and Fulham struck for Berbatov where they paid an even split of his wages.

How Ferguson and Gill consented to giving Young that much is appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Perhaps Harry might fancy a punt with QPR, Even looking at his name now bothers me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

bangkok wrote: »
    evra gets hard time bout his defending.. anyone notice baines "defending" for suarez first goal last night??

I know this is not the place to go into, but screw it. Why are you regurgitating the ridiculous analysis of the RTE panel? Baines was not at fault for that goal. Not even f*cking close. There were two clear sources:

- Jagielka was not touch tight to Suarez. A simple piece of movement bought him the 1-2 yards he needed. That is Jagielka's fault. If, as a CB, you lose a world class striker inside the box, that is the real source of bad defending.

- Why was Cavani allowed to get the cross in, in the first place? Again, a world class player with time and space.

Put it a different way. If Baines was "on the cover", Rodriguez would have had about 15 yards of space in which to pick out a cross from the right handside. If Cavani picks him out, as is likely to happen, then Rodriguez swings in a cross, and Jagielka lost Suarez in a similar fashion, Baines would have been criticised for leaving the right winger with a crazy amount of time & space. Baines can only be in a covering position for the center back, if the left midfielder has covered Baines man.

He defended correctly given the situation he was in. To blame him not being able to make up for other peoples ropey defending is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

You may as well throw darts at a team photo to identify players at fault for England losing last night. Baines wasn't any worse than Glen Johnson, though that's not much of a compliment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Zico wrote: »
    You may as well throw darts at a team photo to identify players at fault for England losing last night. Baines wasn't any worse than Glen Johnson, though that's not much of a compliment.

Thought at the time henderson should have put more effort into getting back (he jogged) - had he actually ran he would have been in position to more effectively close Cavani, as it was he got close, but not close enough.

v3ttel wrote: »
    I know this is not the place to go into, but screw it. Why are you regurgitating the ridiculous analysis of the RTE panel? Baines was not at fault for that goal. Not even f*cking close. There were two clear sources:

- Jagielka was not touch tight to Suarez. A simple piece of movement bought him the 1-2 yards he needed. That is Jagielka's fault. If, as a CB, you lose a world class striker inside the box, that is the real source of bad defending.

- Why was Cavani allowed to get the cross in, in the first place? Again, a world class player with time and space.

Put it a different way. If Baines was "on the cover", Rodriguez would have had about 15 yards of space in which to pick out a cross from the right handside. If Cavani picks him out, as is likely to happen, then Rodriguez swings in a cross, and Jagielka lost Suarez in a similar fashion, Baines would have been criticised for leaving the right winger with a crazy amount of time & space. Baines can only be in a covering position for the center back, if the left midfielder has covered Baines man.

He defended correctly given the situation he was in. To blame him not being able to make up for other peoples ropey defending is a joke.

but baines jogged back???!!! if he had of sprinted he would have had a simple header to clear. against Italy as well he was all over the shop, not in correct position load of times, just because he plays for everton you don't see much of this but im delighted united never signed him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

but baines jogged back???!!! if he had of sprinted he would have had a simple header to clear.

This is incoherent drivel. Did you read my post? Which part of it do you disagree with?
    just because he plays for everton you don't see much of this

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Whats the crack with Zaha? Seems like a signing on a par with Bebe in some ways. Fergie obviously sanctioned the signing in the January when according to him he had decided at Christmas he was leaving at the end of the season. Is it not a bit strange to buy a player for quite a lot of money when he knew he wouldn't be there to use him.

they don't highlight much of evertons defending as they are not considered a top team.... if baines played for united every single one of his performances would be analysed to the ground, he gets an easy time at everton, evra is not as bad as everyone makes out.

and Suarez's movement was just him running into space that was left unoccupied by baines and if he had of sprinting back he would have made a simple headed clearence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

they don't highlight much of evertons defending as they are not considered a top team.... if baines played for united every single one of his performances would be analysed to the ground, he gets an easy time at everton, evra is not as bad as everyone makes out.

and Suarez's movement was just him running into space that was left unoccupied by baines and if he had of sprinting back he would have made a simple headed clearence

Baines is a poor defender, nobody here is going to argue that. Most people are glad we didn't splash out 20m on him. He is good going forward and has a very good set piece. Saying that, he doesn't play for United so why would we discuss him here? He is not a transfer target. I don't personally think he did too much wrong last night. He is not getting grilled because Jagielka did so badly for the first goal, should Baines have been in a better position? It doesn't matter, Jagielka should not have been caught out.

Evra is just as bad defensively. I really don't get your Evra love. He has cost us several goals this season and is not fit to play at the highest level week in week out anymore. He is a great servant to the club. He still has something to offer in experience to whatever LB comes in this summer.

There was nothing spectacular about Suarez's movement, it was pretty ordinary. But he made the run, created a yard of space and scored. Nobody is saying it was a great goal. It was awful from Jagielka. His second was a good finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Are you saying that Suarez's first goal was Baines' fault? :confused:

EDIT: What Bren said ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Thecon21 wrote: »

Yeah What Bren said. Couldnt agree with him more.

Thecon21 wrote: »

no not his fault but he played his part in it along with gerrard for losing the ball, Johnson for not closing down cavani quicker, jagielka for losing his man and baines for not sweeping around and sprinting back into position which suarez exploited

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

TINY bit of hope here maybe...
    Arturo Vidal has admitted that he does not know whether he will be staying at Juventus.

The 27-year-old Chile international is currently enjoying a starring role at the World Cup finals with his country.

Reports in Spain and Italy claim that Real Madrid are set to make an approach to Juventus over the midfielder's signature.

The 27-year-old - who has also been linked with Manchester United - admits he is unsure as to what the future holds.

"Will I stay at Juventus? I do not know," he told Sky Italia.

"I just think about the World Cup and the national team now.

"After the World Cup we will see what will be my future."

Vidal joined Juventus from Bayer Leverkusen in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I still can't really understand why this is being talked about here. There are about eighty four thousand world cup threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Perhaps Harry might fancy a punt with QPR, Even looking at his name now bothers me.
    Id take him at Villa if United were paying some of the wages, I think hed be perfect with Gabby and Benteke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

All we can is report off-topic posts and leave it to the mods. I agree though, it's really annoying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

MagicIRL wrote: »
    All we can is report off-topic posts and leave it to the mods. I agree though, it's really annoying.

This is very good advice.

I have no problem with these sorts of discussions if we are talking about the involvement of United players, and it started out that way when people were talking about Rooney, Welbeck et al. But we have veered off that now. Suarez vs Baines isn't something for this thread.

So please move back towards discussion of Man United, thanks :)

haha did you not start it all by posting a picture of Brendan Rogers and fergie talking about Gerrard?? :confused:

• Advertisement

haha did you not start it all by posting a picture of Brendan Rogers and fergie talking about Gerrard?? :confused:

That was four pages and 6 hours ago! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

astonaidan wrote: »
    Id take him at Villa if United were paying some of the wages, I think hed be perfect with Gabby and Benteke

He was actually a joy to watch for Villa. I have no ill will towards him, just think he is taking up a valuable squad number for United and is a huge drain on the wage budget. He could do well at Villa all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

He was actually a joy to watch for Villa. I have no ill will towards him, just think he is taking up a valuable squad number for United and is a huge drain on the wage budget. He could do well at Villa all the same

He seems to have lost all confidence. Years ago he used to take on players and cross, now he attempts to, piss*s the bed, turns back onto his other foot and sends in a cross that RVP and Rooney made a run for seconds ago..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This is very good advice.

I have no problem with these sorts of discussions if we are talking about the involvement of United players, and it started out that way when people were talking about Rooney, Welbeck et al. But we have veered off that now. Suarez vs Baines isn't something for this thread.

So please move back towards discussion of Man United, thanks :)

Feels good don't it? ha ha!!

Wonder with Koeman in charge at Southampton and England more then likely out will the Shaw deal get sorted 1 way or another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Shadow will soon enough be corrupted by the power

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Shadow will soon enough be corrupted by the power

He's already added Lord to his name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

As much as I like Rafael and think he will find his form of 2 seasons ago, if we are to replace him I would like Aurier from Ivory Coast.

Is Aurier better than Coleman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Stick them both in a formation and we will look at it :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

As much as I like Rafael and think he will find his form of 2 seasons ago, if we are to replace him I would like Aurier from Ivory Coast.

Seen as I've only seen him play one game in the WC. How did he play last season lads?
    (I presume you're not basing the decision to but him on matches at the WC because that would be really stupid).

He's already added Lord to his name!

I've been away a while, so am just catching up - Team Shadow Clan is now a mod?? Lord TSC no less? Congratulations Lord TSC, always liked ya :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Not sure only from what ive seen from the WC and a few highlights from last season he looks like he could be good, also linked with Arsenal lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

I think it's impossible for LvG to leave that Dutch squad and not bring one or two players with him.

I think Strootman is a given once fit. Depay, Blind, de Vrij, Martins Indi?

Martins Indi looks poor from the 2 games he's played, not massively impressed by De Vrij either. Depay looked really good against Australia, even though the keeper should definitely have saved his goal. Depay in, nani/young out. Cleverly and Anderson need to go for good too. Kagawa Mata rooney rvp up top would be great, with welbeck and januzaij and Hernandez on the bench. Need to get Shaw, Hummels and a good defensive midfielder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Blind had 3 assists so far.
    Justsayin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Justsayin

Was mostly playing cm for Ajax so I heard. Could be a decent option there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Justsayin

Blind can see a pass that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Awaiting someone to post that evra looks fantastic on tonight's performance and has a few good years left in him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Was mostly playing cm for Ajax so I heard. Could be a decent option there too.

a lot to be said for a versatile player like that. when you look at the likes of lahm, mascherano, martinez, thomas muller, alaba etc it shows how the players from the best teams have more than one string to their bow. Its a real sign of talent when a player can do a good job in more than one position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Evra looks fantastic on tonight's performance and has a few good years left in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Evra looks fantastic on tonight's performance and has a few good years left in him

Ah you stole Bangkoks line!

Thanks, bud. I was waiting for that all night. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Anyone got a link to the prizes for the World Cup sweep never did. On phone so can't search properly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Who do we want now, Sissoko? Valbuena? Matuidi? Pogba? Maybe even Debuchy for right back.

Waits for Neeson to suggest Senderos :p

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Who do we want now, Sissoko? Valbuena? Matuidi? Pogba? Maybe even Debuchy for right back.

Waits for Neeson to suggest Senderos :p

Debuchy is a player we could do with. Competition for Rafael, but he is really good at left full aswell, surprisingly.

That pogba is really good tonight. Imagine we had a youngster in our ranks like that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I would break the PL transfer record for Pogba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Pogba is the hurt that will never go away for us.

I would be shocked if we signed him for any amount of money while Fergie is still involved in the background. It would be a bit of an embarrassment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement