Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Quandary wrote: »
    Pogba is the hurt that will never go away for us.

I would be shocked if we signed him for any amount of money while Fergie is still involved in the background. It would be a bit of an embarrassment.

It's a killer all right. Just as bad was that Vidal was recommended to fergie and he didn't pursue him.
    Remember reading it somewhere. Shocking if true. And it wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Strootman. Cabeye. Pogba. Vidal. Modric. So many class midfielders could have been signed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It's a killer all right. Just as bad was that Vidal was recommended to fergie and he didn't pursue him.
    Remember reading it somewhere. Shocking if true. And it wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Strootman. Cabeye. Pogba. Vidal. Modric. So many class midfielders could have been signed.

We had Pogba so its worse, far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I'm sure every midfielder with huge potential was recommended to Fergie at one point or another and most of them turned out to be average but it's natural to remember and notice the ones that went on to become greats.

Saying that though, there is no doubt that Fergie is almost single handedly the reason our midfield is so bad right now. His inability or unwillingness to sign quality centre midfield players in the last 6 years has come back to absolutely crucify us.

I have high hopes that when LVG ultimately leaves us, our midfield will be a lot healthier

DM-ICE wrote: »
    We had Pogba so its worse, far worse.

You know what I mean. Yeah, it's depressing. In fergie's favour, maybe pogba was being a tit behind the scenes. He does seem to be a bit of a mercenary.

IMHO pogba was poorly treated and fergie lacked the vision he had in his earlier career when he embraced youth.

Quandary wrote: »
    I'm sure every midfielder with huge potential was recommended to Fergie at one point or another and most of them turned out to be average but it's natural to remember and notice the ones that went on to become greats.

Saying that though, there is no doubt that Fergie is almost single handedly the reason our midfield is so bad right now. His inability or unwillingness to sign quality centre midfield players in the last 6 years has come back to absolutely crucify us.

I have high hopes that when LVG ultimately leaves us, our midfield will be a lot healthier

True, it's great to have hindsight and cherry pick the ones that became world beaters
    I'd agree though that fergie lost his bottle somewhat when it came to buying midfielders. Was it down to the experience with veron?
    But it's damning that he pushed cleverly and chucked out pogba.
    *bangs head against phone*

• Advertisement

Pogba and Stam have to be two of Fergies worst moments of judgment as United manager.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We know absolutely nothing about what Pogba was like at United. He could have be a fcuking primadona, his agent might have been a nightmare and SAF might have been teaching a valuable lesson. He's gone, it's almost certain he'll never return - let's move on to someone we can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't see it with Blind tbh

I'd rather Swiss Rodriguez if we can't get Shaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'd see Blind more as a CDM than LB, bit too slow for a LB imo

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We know absolutely nothing about what Pogba was like at United. He could have be a fcuking primadona, his agent might have been a nightmare and SAF might have been teaching a valuable lesson. He's gone, it's almost certain he'll never return - let's move on to someone we can get.

That might be true. It might also be true that Fergie's stubbornness and pig headedness was what caused us to lose Pogba. The truth lies somewhere in between most likely.

The fact is we will never know for sure. All we know for sure is that less than 2 years after he left us, Pogba established himself as a mainstay in a vastly superior Juve midfield than what he left at Utd. He is now one of the most valuable young midfielders in world football. Maybe over the coming years Pogba along with his agent will skip from club to club like Anelka did in his youth but right now, it does look like we made a massive mistake.

Bottom line though, like you, I think we will never sign Pogba again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Never seen him before the WC, is he any use as a CM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Pretty big news, even if its not exactly the right thread for it!
    ENGLAND GET SECOND CHANCE AS REF IS CHARGED WITH MATCH FIXING OFFENCES
    http://bbc.com.sundaytimesdaily.com/england-get-second-chance-as-ref-is-charged-with-match-fixing-offences/r/24906

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

forget everything else, its time for some Valencia one footed magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

kryogen wrote: »

That is brilliant

Headshot wrote: »
    That is brilliant

There is a few of them, one for Suarez too which I stuck in The Others thread. Few of them going around facebook. Some quality :)

Can we swap Valencia's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can we swap Valencia's?

Ed would end up buying Valencia in Spain.

Ed would end up buying Valencia in Spain.

Grand they have some decent players :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Transfer news round up.

The Metro are reporting Liverpool might line up a bid for Valencia. No, seriously, stop laughing, it's what they said. Maybe we can swap him for Suarez. :pac:

The Buttner brothers are apparently in Moscow ahead of a move to Russia. Dinamo Moscow seems the likely destination for our Alex, and surely his departure will herald the arrival of a new LB soon.

Apparently LVG has banned the Dutch players from negotiations about their futures until the team get booted from the WC (or win it, I guess). He doesn't want any distractions for them. If other managers are taking this attitude too, it shows why the market is stagnant at the moment....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Lord TSC wrote: »

Apparently LVG has banned the Dutch players from negotiations about their futures until the team get booted from the WC (or win it, I guess). He doesn't want any distractions for them. If other managers are taking this attitude too, it shows why the market is stagnant at the moment....

Does that mean we can get the Shaw deal done today:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I can't see Blind at all.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I can't see Blind becoming a Man Utd player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Pogba and Stam have to be two of Fergies worst moments of judgment as United manager.
    djemba-djemba, kleberson, young, bebe, veron, taibi the list could go on and on....

i am so excited about van gaal tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

djemba-djemba, kleberson, young, bebe, veron, taibi the list could go on and on....

id rather **** up on buying bad players than to lose top players

you can get rid of the bad ones but you very rarely get the good ones back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

It's wrong to include Veron on that list. He was world class. It just didn't work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

There were plenty of good ones too.... And your post makes it sounds like you regarded Fergie as some sort of failure...

There were plenty of good ones too.... And your post makes it sounds like you regarded Fergie as some sort of failure...
    do you read into all posts in the same manner? all i was saying was we had plenty of poor signings. i never said or made out fergie was a failure now dont be so dramatic and wind your neck in

It's wrong to include Veron on that list. He was world class. It just didn't work out.
    yup he was world class defo but it ended up being a poor signing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

yup he was world class defo but it ended up being a poor signing.

Getting £15m from Chelsea for him was good business to be fair.

It just doesn't sit right because most of the other guys on that list were / are bad players.

I mean, FFS, Juan Sebastien Veron was captain of Argentina. "Homeless World Cup Star" Bebe seems to have been a series of bribes dressed up as a transfer.

• Advertisement

It just doesn't sit right because most of the other guys on that list were / are bad players.
    it simply ended a poor transfer dealing ie didnt work out. in no way am i taking from fergie the man is and was an inspirational football genius

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

...and he turned out to be an even worse signing for them!:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Blind had 3 assists so far.
    Justsayin

You might say... he's playing a blinder.

horatio-caine-shades.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Why do people not see any chance of Blind going to Utd?

Regarding this rumoured interest in Valencia from Liverpool, I think he would be a smashing player for them and would definitely worry if we were to sell him to them (not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool are not interested in Valencia and you all know it! Its Sanchez we're after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 1m
    BREAKING: We're delighted to announce Antonio Valencia (@7AntoV) has signed a new three-year deal at #mufc. More: http://bit.ly/1lHfaHm

Feck sake :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

This summer just goes from bad to worse. Valencia has signed a new 3 year deal. Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool are not interested in Valencia and you all know it! Its Sanchez we're after.

And you won't get him without sending the greatest player in the history of the world ever, the other way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 1m
    BREAKING: We're delighted to announce Antonio Valencia (@7AntoV) has signed a new three-year deal at #mufc. More: http://bit.ly/1lHfaHm

Feck sake :mad:

3 goals in the World Cup shows his class and ability. He'll be a new player under LVG. The main thing we all have to understand is that we need to hold on to our world beaters and Valencia is certainly one of them yes I know it's the other Valencia that scored and ours is poo but shur nothing else is going on we are not signing Toni Kroos.

Love the timing....

Sigh.

Realistically, if he's decreased to squad player, grand. If LVG thinks he can motivate him, fine, whatever. But I really don't want to see him first team week in, week out, no matter how bad he is....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

kryogen wrote: »
    Regarding this rumoured interest in Valencia from Liverpool, I think he would be a smashing player for them and would definitely worry if we were to sell him to them (not)

Crisis Over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

If Tony is going to be around then he better start asking his international team mates Enner Valencia and Jefferson Montero for a few tips to shake his game up a bit,

Even the Honduras lads weren't falling for his stop with the ball,throw a dummy with the right leg and then try and cross it trick last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think its great move by Utd. A good hard working player to help consolidate your 7th place finish from last season.

I wonder would Liverpool take Young on a free if we offered to pay his wages and increase their seating allocation at OT....

If they played hardball I suppose we could throw £5m at them to seal it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nani, Valencia with new long term deals in the last 12 months. Who next lads young, cleverly? More proof that 200m is a myth.

Valencia new deal makes sad and brings a bit of worry with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I understand that it was part of Evra's contract that he was entitled to a 1 year extension, nothing can be done there, but...

Valencia gets a 3 year deal??

Do the staff that hand out these deals even watch these players? It's been said many a time, Valencia has been figured out and teams can deal with him now quite comfortably.

Looks like the squad overhaul that many predicted and indeed wanted will now not happen....

Were people really expecting a clearout of 10+ players though?

We've already lost 3 first team players in Giggs, Vidic and Rio, and Buttner looks off too. So that's 4 players gone from the squad before July. That's before LVG even gets near the squad, and I'd expect more culling of the squad before the season kicks off.

Right, I'd have liked to see Val gone, but I can't expect to see him, Young AND Nani heading off this summer.

If the idea is to have Val as a back up RM and/or backup RB, then that's fine, we still need squad players, and he'll do grand against smaller teams. I won't be worrying about this until we get an idea of what LVG's plans are for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think its great move by Utd. A good hard working player to help consolidate your 7th place finish from last season.

Whooaaahoho are we just gonna let him get away with this guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

zarquon wrote: »
    Different Valencia! There's 2 of them in the Ecuador team.

You read the whole post yeah?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement