Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Whooaaahoho are we just gonna let him get away with this guys?

Best way to deal with that is ignoring it! They are allowed to gloat after finishing ahead of us for the first time in 20 years and celebrating that fact more than finishing second in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

yep nobody here cares

20-18

always the bridesmaids ;) : D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Were people really expecting a clearout of 10+ players though?

We've already lost 3 first team players in Giggs, Vidic and Rio, and Buttner looks off too. So that's 4 players gone from the squad before July. That's before LVG even gets near the squad, and I'd expect more culling of the squad before the season kicks off.

Right, I'd have liked to see Val gone, but I can't expect to see him, Young AND Nani heading off this summer.

If the idea is to have Val as a back up RM and/or backup RB, then that's fine, we still need squad players, and he'll do grand against smaller teams. I won't be worrying about this until we get an idea of what LVG's plans are for him.

But you see this is the mind set we need to get away from as a club, the 'shur he'd be grand as a backup or against the smaller teams' if the player is no longer good enough ship him out...

Look at Bayern's depth, they have real quality ready to step up when needed, we need similar, not settling for someone like Val who would be grand against the smaller teams...

We need to think bigger and push on, personally I wasn't expecting 10+ players to leave but 6-7 players that have not done it (Val and Evra) in the last few years to be turfed out, not rewarded... I know nothing could be done with Evra but you get the idea....

I too think this will impact the reported 200mil....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

zarquon wrote: »
    Different Valencia! There's 2 of them in the Ecuador team.

TLDR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Jesus!! Offering Valencia a new deal! What on earth has he done in the last three years to justify remaining at the club?? He is horribly limited and every full back in the premier league has him figured out: Stand in front of him and show him inside. Can't use left foot. Has to go back towards his own goal. Passes to Carrick.

This summer is turning out to be a nightmare. Is Woodward working against us or for us??

RANT!! :)

Just look at the replies to that official tweet about him getting a new contract. How is it that every United fan can see the guy is useless, but those at the club cant?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

yep nobody here cares

20-18

always the bridesmaids ;) : D

Not really. More like the girl who gets plastered by 8 in the evening, pukes all over everyone and misses out on the real party later in the evening. Then wakes up and cries about where her life went wrong and how all the prettier, more successful girls are all a bunch of c*nts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

But you see this is the mind set we need to get away from as a club, the 'shur he'd be grand as a backup or against the smaller teams' if the player is no longer good enough ship him out...

Look at Bayern's depth, they have real quality ready to step up when needed, we need similar, not settling for someone like Val who would be grand against the smaller teams...

We need to think bigger and push on, personally I wasn't expecting 10+ players to leave but 6-7 players that have not done it (Val and Evra) in the last few years to be turfed out, not rewarded... I know nothing could be done with Evra but you get the idea....

I too think this will impact the reported 200mil....

Bayerns depth is built through adding one or two quality players every season through the youth team and transfers. We can't build a depth of squad over night that is comparable to there squad. Valencia is versatile and with no champions league is adequate for 15-20 appearances this season. Plus LVG might see something in him. I doubt he will see the 3 years of his contract if his current form continues.

LVG has decided he wants him and that's enough for me, he could easily be used as a wing back if we chuck him in a 5-3-2 system due to his work rate so no major issues with this deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Don't mind too much, decent squad player. If it was Young I'd be going mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Meh, who cares. Guy embarrasses himself with a post. Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The daily MD1990 windup posts have been less effective recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Liam O wrote: »
    The daily MD1990 windup posts have been less effective recently.
    md1990 does he have the 1990 in there to remind him of his age? would hate to be of the age not to remember euro 88 italy 90 and usa 94 the truly great years of irish football

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Ugh how does Valencia even deserve a new deal? Such a limited player. He can't even cross a ball anymore.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

kryogen wrote: »
    Regarding this rumoured interest in Valencia from Liverpool, I think he would be a smashing player for them and would definitely worry if we were to sell him to them (not)

Your timing is impeccable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

The new Valencia deal doesn't worry me at all tbh and I don't think it can be used as an indicator of how much money there is in the transfer kitty either.

If we were to clear out all 10+ players that people don't think are ''United standard'' then we'd end up having to spend the £150 million on squad players to replace them just to have enough players for the coming season. Whereas by keeping players like Valencia it means the squad size still stays constant and of reasonable depth while allowing us to strengthen the areas needed with 2/3 world class signings.

Squad depth was never our problem so replacing squad players shouldn't be our priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

If Van Gaal thinks he can get Valencia back playing the way he is capable of, I would have no problems with him signing a new contract. I would be delighted if he could recapture the form he showed before.

Having said that, I would have liked to see Young replaced with Cuadrado from Fiorentina. A skillful, fast, powerful winger that isn't afraid to take players on and always runs his nuts off for the cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Your timing is impeccable :)

Yours is slipping big time. The old you would have been here in 2 minutes max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I was only being sarcastic lads! Find it hilarious at this stage when someone comes in here on the windup :p:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think its great move by Utd. A good hard working player to help consolidate your 7th place finish from last season.

It makes sense for Rodgers to try and sign someone with at least one Premier League winners medal. Especially if he's gonna try and kick them on from their average position of 5th over the last three years.

Maybe Valencia, Toure and Sturridge could run seminars for the others on "how to actually win something meaningful"?

And Steven Gerrard in particular will probably need the arm around the shoulder treatment next season that someone like Valencia can credibly give...what with his disastrous and calamitous error basically snatching defeat from the jaws of the one victory that you crave above all else.

The fans also need the boost that signing a marquee name like Valencia would provide. You've basically blown the one chance in a generation that a smaller club will have to win the title. City are through the whole new manager thing and will only get stronger and stronger. Chelsea will be hugely strong now that Mourinho is shaping his own team. Arsenal are a financial juggernaut now that the Emirates is nearly paid off. And United have cash, a great manager and the foundations for a great side.

Antonio Valencia could be bigger than Shankly...a transformational signing that could bring hope to the hopeless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Right, I'll say this first as a United poster, as opposed to putting the Mod Hat on.

Someone came into the topic, posted "banter" that was then warned. But it frustrates me how some people moan and get dragged into yet another measuring contest. No one marks the post, mind. Rather they respond exactly how the person wanted them too.

I don't want to have to start issuing daily Mod Posts saying "Talk about this, don't talk about that!" but I am going to start getting strict with both people who go into other teams topics trying to get a rise, AND people who respond by dragging the thread off-topic and happily engaging in the problem. Not just in this topic either.

Don't engage people trying to get a rise, or you're going to get into problems as well, ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

duffman13 wrote: »
    Bayerns depth is built through adding one or two quality players every season through the youth team and transfers. We can't build a depth of squad over night that is comparable to there squad. Valencia is versatile and with no champions league is adequate for 15-20 appearances this season. Plus LVG might see something in him. I doubt he will see the 3 years of his contract if his current form continues.

LVG has decided he wants him and that's enough for me, he could easily be used as a wing back if we chuck him in a 5-3-2 system due to his work rate so no major issues with this deal

And why don't we start doing this instead of offering players like Nani & Val new deals??? Its fine saying it took Bayern time to do that, but they had to start somewhere, I'm not pushed if it takes 4-5 seasons to add some proper depth to the squad, but we need a start, somewhere...

This offering the likes of Nani and Val new deals is just stalling the progression of the club.....

As somebody pointed out on this thread, everyone knows exactly how to deal with Val, just show him inside on his left and job done, how is offering him a new 3 year deal going to change that on the pitch?

The bottom line of this contract extension is that we will now not be replacing Val with some top talent, if this is the trend throughout the squad then the club will stagnate at best, worst they will begin to decline...

New blood is needed, of that there can be no doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 1m
    BREAKING: We're delighted to announce Antonio Valencia (@7AntoV) has signed a new three-year deal at #mufc. More: http://bit.ly/1lHfaHm

Feck sake :mad:
    Come back in from town and see this fcuking s.hite :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Right, I'll say this first as a United poster, as opposed to putting the Mod Hat on.

Someone came into the topic, posted "banter" that was then warned. But it frustrates me how some people moan and get dragged into yet another measuring contest. No one marks the post, mind. Rather they respond exactly how the person wanted them too.

I don't want to have to start issuing daily Mod Posts saying "Talk about this, don't talk about that!" but I am going to start getting strict with both people who go into other teams topics trying to get a rise, AND people who respond by dragging the thread off-topic and happily engaging in the problem. Not just in this topic either.

Don't engage people trying to get a rise, or you're going to get into problems as well, ok?

This is the best piece of modding i've seen in this thread. Well sad in a good tone and pointing out a problem without getting preachy or restricting conversation. +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

I'd rather Valencia than this moron:

From The Guardian:
    It was Portugal’s first training session after the humbling defeat against Germany and Nani showed up with a star and his squad number shaved into his hair. It was as if he had not quite grasped that this was the time to knuckle down rather than show off a new haircut.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/21/world-cup-2014-nani-portugal

jamc wrote: »

From The Guardian:

Pretty sure he had the star cut into his hair before the Germany game. Mind you, I really dislike nani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

RasTa wrote: »
    Don't mind too much, decent squad player. If it was Young I'd be going mental.

Young offers far more than Valencia my only problem is his high wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

From The Guardian:

Yeah, a player getting a haircut is really newsworthy. It'd be ok if he got a short back and sides though presumably? Some Brazilian lad probably got a decent amount of money to do it too. People will really go to any lengths to put some players down. Stupid hair never impacted Ronaldo or Balotelli in big tournaments. I'm going to say Nani has shown great initiative with his silly hair as it clearly helps players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

From The Guardian:

He had it during the Germany game. And what difference does it make anyway. Are all the players supposed to get a bowl cut to show their dedication to the team? I presume all the non morons in the squad have been training 24/7 since the game and haven't taken a minutes rest either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

CR 7 wrote: »
    He had it during the Germany game. And what difference does it make anyway. Are all the players supposed to get a bowl cut to show their dedication to the team? I presume all the non morons in the squad have been training 24/7 since the game and haven't taken a minutes rest either.

Yes

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Young offers far more than Valencia my only problem is his high wages.

Well you're wrong is all I can really say, the only thing Young offers more is he can switch between the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Valencia over Nani. Jaysus wept.

Valencia signs new three year deal. Unbelievable yet totally believable when it comes to Utd.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Valencia over Nani. Jaysus wept.

Valencia sings new three year deal. Unbelievable yet totally believable when it comes to Utd.

Nani signed a 5 year contract last September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nani signed a 5 year contract last September.

I know. I was referring to the poster who called him a moron and said they'd have Valencia over him any day. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

What in the name of god almighty are United at? Really, Valencia new 3yr deal, couldn't give him away and we go and give him a new deal,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

What in the name of god almighty are United at? Really, Valencia new 3yr deal, couldn't give him away and we go and give him a new deal,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bit surprised at this to be honest. Its like the fans are living in a different reality than the management when It comes to team selections and signings the last couple of years. It's probably an indication of the lack of quality in the squad at the moment, they can't chuck the majority of the squad out, football doesn't work that way. If they give Young etc a new contract then I`ll really start to worry.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Cut those sideburns Nani.

Wouldn't have thought Valencia would be the type of player van gaal would want. I suspect the fingerprints of Giggs and fergie are all over that new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Pretty hilarious overreaction in here to Valencia's new contract. He's very experienced and good to have around, much like Evra.

It doesn't mean we're not signing anyone.

I suspect the fingerprints of Giggs and fergie are all over that new contract.

You think LvG is going to be dictated to? you are mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

hell-no.gif

That is all.

Well you're wrong is all I can really say, the only thing Young offers more is he can switch between the wings.

Young offers far more.

He can play on the left
    He can play on the right
    He can play off the striker
    He can take corners
    He can take free kicks
    He can use both feet
    He can dribble past players
    He can cross the ball
    He can score goals

Pretty hilarious overreaction in here to Valencia's new contract. He's very experienced and good to have around, much like Evra.

It doesn't mean we're not signing anyone.

Why are they good to have around?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Valencia's new contract also has an option for another year :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Val is a much better squad player than Nani ever will, Nani has yet to have a decent season. ... still waiting for him to come good, similar to anderson... flatter to deceive. No problem with new contract for Val

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Young offers far more.

He can play on the left
    He can play on the right
    He can play off the striker
    He can take corners
    He can take free kicks
    He can use both feet
    He can dribble past players
    He can cross the ball
    He can score goals

Since when can Young dribble past players without checking back onto whatever foot? Valencia is the complete footballer compared to Young in every aspect bar his final product.

• Advertisement

Why are they good to have around?

Not one club team on earth is completely jammed with superstars. Valencia is a hard working loyal player and can be a good influence on the younger players. Was our player of the year two seasons ago and didn't just become crap overnight. LvG probably feels he can get more out of him.

As a back up player for the wing he's pretty good, we should be aiming higher for first choice though and probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Val is a much better squad player than Nani ever will, Nani has yet to have a decent season. ... still waiting for him to come good, similar to anderson... flatter to deceive. No problem with new contract for Val

secman wrote: »

Did you miss the season Nani won the club player of the year and only for Bale being British he would have won Premier League player of the year.

Since when can Young dribble past players without checking back onto whatever foot? Valencia is the complete footballer compared to Young in every aspect bar his final product.

Valencia is a not a complete footballer compared to anyone. Patethic a professional football can't kick a ball with his weaker foot.

I am not as upset with Valencia's new contract as some appear to be. If the headline had have read "Ashley Young signs new 3 year deal at Utd" then I'd be mortified. Maybe our new manager feels that he can get Valencia playing like his old self, and for that I'm willing to give Valencia one more season. There were shades of the old Antonio still present at a few points over the past season, not enough but still evidence, the 1st leg against Bayern Munich jumping straight to mind.

Also, United are not going to get rid of 10+ players this summer, that would be mental. I'm not saying that there aren't 10 we could get rid of, but to cull them all in one summer might be too much at the one time. We will need squad players and Tony V could still be a very good one. He has a good engine and will keep going throughout the 90 minutes, but some aspects of his game need to be addressed and that's where LVG comes in.

The fact that Buttner is leaving (I'm sad to see him go) and Antonio is staying might mean that transfer funds are going to be used primarily for the positions that badly need addressing in this window - LB, MF, CB.

I would love to see a genuinely world-class winger come into the team, but really think that LVG will need to spend money on the above positions first to strengthen/repair the spine of the team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement