Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Valencia keeps the ball :pac: Passes it back to the Right back all the time. Lets keep him instead.

If Valencia is right back who does he pass to? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Valencia keeps the ball :pac: Passes it back to the Right back all the time. Lets keep him instead.

Why win a game 1-0 when you can draw 0-0 and give the ball away a little less.

Flair, Creativity & Inconsistency > Consistency, without ever delivering a match winning moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ballboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Ah but who guards the guards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ah but who guards the guards?
    dougal guards the corner flags...

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Hopefully not too off-topic but Ronaldo really doesn't look like he's okay at all tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

POSSY wrote: »
    Hopefully not too off-topic but Ronaldo really doesn't look like he's okay at all tonight.
    Indeed. He has been looking out of sorts since the last few matches of the season with Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He's been carrying an injury. Tendonitis is not something that will go away easily. It finished Owen Hargreaves career.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Mars Bar wrote: »
    He's been carrying an injury. Tendonitis is not something that will go away easily. It finished Owen Hargreaves career.

You've got to worry that he's playing when he shouldn't be. Clearly struggling. I remember a few years ago when Ronnie first started cracking in the free kicks (the one against David James comes to mind), Mark Hughes stated that he felt Ronaldo's free kick style would lead to injury in the long-term. Hope he wasn't right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Very true and no player should be anywhere near a football field with Tendonitis. Playing while not fully recovered/fit can lead to further damage and possible complete tendon rupture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

True that. However I read an interview with Hargo once where he intimated that he had been playing on injections for months to the point where, after a game against Chelsea he said he couldn't muster the strength to drive his car. So hopefully Ronnie doesn't play through the injury much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

True that. However I read an interview with Hargo once where he intimated that he had been playing on injections for months to the point where, after a game against Chelsea he said he couldn't muster the strength to drive his car. So hopefully Ronnie doesn't play through the injury much longer

Prolonged steroid use does more harm than good. Steroids such as Cortisone can cause tissue atrophy. Which is a weakening of muscles tissue & tendons, it can also lead to loss of tissue mass. It is too often used a quick fix, short term solution. But long term, it creates more problems than it solves. It is a disgrace that Hargreaves was allowed to play for months in such a condition and unfortunately he paid the ultimate price for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Nani was absolutely horrendous last night X-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Was hoping he'd come good in this tournament and we could sell him off. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Nani was probably the only Portugal player who looked likely to make something happen last night. Scored a goal and made Howard make 2 or 3 good saves. He was far from the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Lads, when Raul Meireles is playing ball on the same pitch as you it is impossible to be the worst player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Nani was absolutely horrendous last night X-D

You're being a little generous, he was worse than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Nani looked to be playing for himself only last night, as if he has been told to put himself in the shop window by his agent. At one stage Ronaldo was clean through and he ignored him and tried a stupid hollywood ball across the pitch which was never going to reach its man.

He was lucky they were all terrible last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nani was undeniably poor last night, but at the same time you could still see what he can bring to a team in his performance. He was still one of the few players getting on the ball and actually trying make things happen, but unfortunately the end product didn't match the vision, the touch wasn't there and many passes weren't accurate.

In fact he looked like a player that has had very little football, I would say he isn't calibrated. Said it many times, give Nani a run of 15 games and you would find that those through balls, those passes and those crosses will start hitting their mark and we will have a consistently dangerous attacker again. On the other hand, continue giving him a game here and there and we will just get what Portugal had last night.

Or, we could give Valencia another 30 games a season where he does **** all. I know which I would choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Valencia was shocking last season but so was just about everyone under Moyes. Interesting to see if he reclaims his form of 2 seasons ago. I have little hope for Nani though, he's been here long enough, get rid... he and Young need to be given their p45s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Valencia was shocking last season but so was just about everyone under Moyes. Interesting to see if he reclaims his form of 2 seasons ago. I have little hope for Nani though, he's been here long enough, get rid... he and Young need to be given their p45s.

Valencia was crap the last season under Ferguson too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nani wasn't very good, but he has had no football this year and is in a very, very ****e team. He was trying and he did score and have Howard produce a couple of good saves. He is brave, always looking to take the ball and try things, they don't come off a lot of the time, but at least he is willing and keeps going. He managed to have an influence on the game in a positive way.

Edit: People mock the balls that didn't find their man, but its like they don't even see the couple of cracking balls he put into the box and good work to get by people etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Valencia has been shocking for the last three seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Its funny how people say nani should go, yet Valencia should stay because he might recapture his form of 3 years ago. In each of the last 2 seasons Valencia has been consistently in the first 11 despite being absolutely shocking. He cannot cross, he cannot beat a man anymore. He offers nothing. He's useless at defending and cosntantly gets caught out of position at RB.

Then you have Nani. I admit, he hasn't exactly set the world alight in the last 2 years or so either. But he hasn't been given a chance at all. He gets a game here and there to prove himself. Its unfair to do that, especially when you consider Fergie saying that Rooney always needs a run of games to get back to his best. Nani does too.

For the life of me, I will never understand people thinking Valencia is the better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Would love to see Nani get a run of games under LVG. If he doesn't start hitting form, then sure, get rid. But give him the chance first, he's worth it.

Valencia, great servant in his day but that day is done. It's time to part ways.

• De Jong from AC Milan...

Does anyone here rate him?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    De Jong from AC Milan...

Does anyone here rate him?

He is an upgrade on what he have. I thought he was poor when he was with City but a friend who watches Milan was raving about him last season. They are not in the Champions League so he might be cheap. Would not be happy if it was just him signed though.

Would love to see Nani get a run of games under LVG. If he doesn't start hitting form, then sure, get rid. But give him the chance first, he's worth it.

Valencia, great servant in his day but that day is done. It's time to part ways.

Nani played his best football when we played good attacking football. He struggled when we started playing slow negative football. He tries to do too much but i think the lack of quality in midfield is what makes him look poor. He bursts down the wing and where is the midfield sitting back deep with nobody looking for the ball. So he has two options try make something happen or run back the way away from goal. The difference is Nani will try make something happen it might come off two out of ten and create a scoring chance. Valencia will turn back and keep running back the way but keep the ball. Personally i find it far more frustrating watching a winger refuse to take on a player than watch somebody who tries to create a chance. When Nani is poor he can be very poor but will still create chances. I won't say when Valencia is poor he is very poor because a winger's job is too attack and create and poor is too kind a word for what he consistently does.

Some people find it frustrating watching Nani give the ball away while trying to attack. I find it more frustrating watching a winger turn away from goal and slowing down counter attacks. Each to their own both are very different players.

Out of our wingers i think Nani is the most likely to suit VAn Gaal's style. He plays better when we play attacking football. Nani, Kagawa and Mata have suffered under from United's slow negative style. I fully expect all three to come to their best under LVG and it is exciting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Only Bayern Munich have more goals at the WC at the moment than us.

http://i.imgur.com/nxJ2bli.jpg

RVP, Nani, Rooney and Fellaini doing the business representing us :P

Also any reason why Carvalho has not featured at all. Thought he looked their best midfielder last night. I saw him against Ireland and thought his price would rocket up after the World Cup. Hopefully he can be picked up for a decent fee now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Talk that Mangala is on the radar for both United and Chelsea, price tag is high at £35 million or so.
    But he is young and it is not like Rio when he came was cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Also any reason why Carvalho has not featured at all. Thought he looked their best midfielder last night. I saw him against Ireland and thought his price would rocket up after the World Cup. Hopefully he can be picked up for a decent fee now.

He was very good indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The coach picking muck like Raul Meireles on reputation more then anything else would have to be a factor, I didn't mind it so much for the German game, going with experience and that but Carvalho looks a very good player, the best in Portugal by a lot of estimations last season and he has looked good when he has got on the field. I expected him to start against the USA but he went with the more experienced players again.

Having him to shore up the midfield would be a no brainer to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Looked very good at winning the ball but certainly wouldn't like to pay the price quoted to see him in a 2 man midfield, He enjoys passing the ball sideways that's for sure so he'd fit in well with Carrick and Cleverly.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Looked very good at winning the ball but certainly wouldn't like to pay the price quoted to see him in a 2 man midfield, He enjoys passing the ball sideways that's for sure so he'd fit in well with Carrick and Cleverly.

I had a few bottles in me last night but he looked like the only Portugal midfielder who tried to run at defenders and pass the ball forward. You have seen him more than me so i won't argue with you.

There are two midfielders we need to buy and they are Vidal and Stootman. Strootman pre-ACL was a beast at Roma. Vidal has been incredible for Juve and has carried that in to the World Cup. The amount of problems those two would fix and cause for opponents is priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I had a few bottles in me last night but he looked like the only Portugal midfielder who tried to run at defenders and pass the ball forward. You have seen him more than me so i won't argue with you.

^^^^ the most reasonable response Ive seen to a post Ive seen on here in ages. Usually its "Im right and You're wrong" from the majority of posters (including myself.)

Well done Nuts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

MagicIRL wrote: »
    There are two midfielders we need to buy and they are Vidal and Stootman. Strottman pre-ACL was a beast at Roma. Vidal has been incredible for Juve and has carried that in to the World Cup. The amount of problems those two would fix and cause for opponents is priceless.

Would be 2 nice signings alright. Hurry home LVG and come to Manchester so we can start the rebuilding process.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Would be 2 nice signings alright. Hurry home LVG and come to Manchester so we can start the rebuilding process.

Can you imagine United splurging £80m to get the both of them :D

WC end soon please :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Strootman is great. A lot of us were gutted we didn't get him when he was at PSV and being only €17 million was even more upsetting. But an ACL injury is nasty. It might be best to see him play again for a while before signing. Do we want another Hargreaves?

There are two midfielders we need to buy and they are Vidal and Stootman. Strottman pre-ACL was a beast at Roma. Vidal has been incredible for Juve and has carried that in to the World Cup. The amount of problems those two would fix and cause for opponents is priceless.

Barring kidnpping Vidal or making him the highest paid player in the world without Champions League football can't see him coming. Think Vidal will end up at Barca to take over from Xavi.

Barring kidnpping Vidal or making him the highest paid player in the world without Champions League football can't see him coming. Think Vidal will end up at Barca to take over from Xavi.

They're not the same type of player though? Vidal is a rampaging midfielder. Xavi sits back and pulls all the strings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Don't think were gonna be signing any 'big name' players this summer. I'm assuming we have an army of scouts at the club wtf have they been doing the last few years? We haven't really unearthed any talent since Hernandez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

They've just signed Rakitic I think he'll take over from Xavi. They really did mess up letting Thiago leave last summer he'd have been a perfect replacement for Xavi.

They're not the same type of player though? Vidal is a rampaging midfielder. Xavi sits back and pulls all the strings.

Sorry maybe not to replace Xavi directly but it's what Madrid and Barca do. They just sign all the best players in the world and with Fabregas gone, and Xavi getting old i can see them moving for Vidal this summer.

• Advertisement

Can't see us buying more than one big name this Summer. Hopefully it will be Vidal and a bid will be put in for Strootman in January if he gets back to his best.

With a bit of luck Vidal runs riot against Holland today and LvG sees first hand how good he is! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Don't think we will sign any big names to be honest but there are probably around 30-40midfielders at the World Cup who would be an upgrade on anything we have at the moment.

With a bit of luck Vidal runs riot against Holland today and LvG sees first hand how good he is! ;)

He was great against Spain. Constantly harrassing players with the ball. He reminded me of Tevez and the way he used to chase down every ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Why do they keep putting the feckin' Dutch matches on at 5pm. :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement