Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

beno619 wrote: »
    While it's nice to assume every footballer is a mercenary some do actually enjoy the profession and would rather play.

Being a mercenary is making a club honour the contract they offered you? Who knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

beno619 wrote: »
    While it's nice to assume every footballer is a mercenary some do actually enjoy the profession and would rather play.

You shouldn't be so naive. If Young were to move, I can't see anyone paying him more than 25k per week. That's a hell of a pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

ShaneU wrote: »
    Dearer than Fabregas, mind boggling.
    I wouldn't be surprised if United didn't bother even bidding for cesc, seems as if him fcuking us about last summer ended any potential move.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You do know the difference between a club trying to offload a player and a club selling a player they want to keep don't you? One will be more expensive that the other. And LVG obviously didn't want Fabregas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A quick scan and I think he's cheaper; Fab seemed to be 30m, and Herrera looks to be about 28.5m (in Pounds Sterling).

Also, that's the difference when deal with a player a club wants shot of and a player who the club would be happy to keep on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

irishfeen wrote: »
    £28.8m according to Ducker from the times.

Did any of them lads, as in Ducker, Taylor, Ogden etc....have this story yesterday?

ericzeking wrote: »
    Did any of them lads, as in Ducker, Taylor, Ogden etc....have this story yesterday?

A lot seem to be claiming "Oh, we're in Brazil so missed some stuff". :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

TheDoc wrote: »
    If we are going to spunk £30+m on a 18 year old LB with one year exposure to the premier league, I'd have no hesitation spending £28m on a midfielder with extensive La Liga experience and European experience, and at an age where his ability is somewhat more defined and a safe bet.

If those two signing do happen that will be the guts of £120 million spent on 4 players in 12 months - Fellaini, Mata, Herrera and Shaw.

Thats a big outlay and makes you wonder what could have been bought for that sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

irishfeen wrote: »
    Just talking to a Spanish mate about Herrera and he just started laughing when I said he would be our 4th most expensive signing ... For such a successful club it really is amazing.

I expect that to change this summer to be honest, I hope he is the first of at least 3 > £25M signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

ericzeking wrote: »

No which is great IMO, Ogden even said on twitter last night that Utd said this deal was dead and he would be very suprised if rumours were true. maybe Ed has been silenced at last the clown :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Leftist wrote: »
    who the hell has a mate called joby?

Everyone bar you, no mates.

j/k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Leftist wrote: »
    who the hell has a mate called joby?

Sure John Joby Mikel played for Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

It just shows you that none of them have a clue and are just making it up on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Flashdean

I dont know why ppl are knocking this transfer so soon. We have the a great scouting system and the club has been after this geeza for 3 years.. Tru 3 different managers ...

I watched him a lot last season due to him being so heavily linked and he was top notch...
    The game against barca he was the best player on th pitch..

Please give him time .. These are exciting times ahead!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

whoever said Herrera wouldn't walk onto the united team I bet has never seen him play before. Super signing really looking forward to seeing him in a united shirt next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    If those two signing do happen that will be the guts of £120 million spent on 4 players in 12 months - Fellaini, Mata, Herrera and Shaw.

Thats a big outlay and makes you wonder what could have been bought for that sort of money.

Yup it makes you wonder

At the same time there is always the issue of " who will actually come".

At a high level we can put a price against all players, but the big issues is them actually coming, and their clubs willing to sell.

If only real world was like CM01/02

"give me your star CM for £20m"

"No **** off he is ours"

"I'll give you £22m, stop acting the bollox"

"Sold"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No which is great IMO, Ogden even said on twitter last night that Utd said this deal was dead and he would be very suprised if rumours were true. maybe Ed has been silenced at last the clown :p
    I believe this deal will be almost as much a surprise to Herrera as any english journo to be honest. I reckon this has been done very very quickly, and not one we've been working on for months.

adox wrote: »

we over paid for fellaini no doubt, mata is world class, Herrera has the potential to go there and luke shaw is one of the best young left backs in world football...no problem spending that money on them 4 players

I believe this deal will be almost as much a surprise to Herrera as any english journo to be honest. I reckon this has been done very very quickly, and not one we've been working on for months.

Or the negotiations might have been ongoing since last summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Here's a couple of youtube clips of Herrera's entire performance in matches v Real Madrid and Barcelona last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hope this deal comes off. I love how it has slipped under the radar, it will be a big "up yours" to all the wannabe ITK journos and their Twitter slaves.

not really though, united were in for him last season, they probably told him they would go for him again this year and were in constant contact, he probably knew all along he would be moving

On a seperate note relating to managers knowing about footballers. While I'm sure the managers are aware of X player in relation to their ability, it's not as straight forward as " He is good, I must buy"

The work that is done by scouts, and scouting reports is pretty indepth. I had the wonderful experience, and rare one, of seeing a scout report done on myself. I had been unsuccesfull in a trial and before leaving I asked if it would be possible to have a read of my scouting reports with the scout present, so we could talk about the issues that I could maybe address going forward. They were very accomodating and I saw one, now obviously can't say they are the same for every club, but there was a lot of detail.

(Now mine was different being a GK but I could see the sections marked N/A)

A scout will cover a HOST of issues that really was seriously indepth.A few of them would be:

Tactical awareness: The players awareness of what's happening on the pitch, their ability to identify issues, weakness in their own team and opponents, and take steps to address/expose this, without instruction.

Flexability: The players ability to slot into varying systems, and the scouts interpretation of what the player could and could not do. This overlaps with a number of areas identified in other sections.

Communication: How the player communicates with his team mates, and coaching staff. Positive re-enforcement? Negative behaviour like sulking and criticising team mates. Ability to convey instruction to team mates. Relevant to Tactical awareness. Does the player relay their thoughts to team mates, or action upon it themselves.

Physique: Self explanatory really. Mine sighted I was "suprisingly" fast of my line, and had good spring. My height provided me advantage in dealing with aerial balls into the box. Major concerns over weight.

Health: Discovery of any issues of health with the player. Mine outlined issues with Asthma, history of a thing where the muscle grows too fast for your bones growing up , something shattlers disease or something. This was marked as a major concern, as it can lead to issues with knee and back ( Which I suffer from now big time)

And there was a rake of others, it was very detailed, as you would be when you are trying to decide out of a bunch of 25 goalkeepers, what three you want to take on a scholership.

So I can only imagine the detail involved when your deciding to spunk £20m on someone.

While the manager will have a high level idea of a player, from watching them in person or on the telly, the scouting reports are important in order to be certain this is a player they want and will fit into their plans

All we need now is to finalise this deal, then sell Cleverly to Everton for 15m. Happy time!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

On a seperate note relating to managers knowing about footballers. While I'm sure the managers are aware of X player in relation to their ability, it's not as straight forward as " He is good, I must buy"

The work that is done by scouts, and scouting reports is pretty indepth. I had the wonderful experience, and rare one, of seeing a scout report done on myself. I had been unsuccesfull in a trial and before leaving I asked if it would be possible to have a read of my scouting reports with the scout present, so we could talk about the issues that I could maybe address going forward. They were very accomodating and I saw one, now obviously can't say they are the same for every club, but there was a lot of detail.

(Now mine was different being a GK but I could see the sections marked N/A)

A scout will cover a HOST of issues that really was seriously indepth.A few of them would be:

Tactical awareness: The players awareness of what's happening on the pitch, their ability to identify issues, weakness in their own team and opponents, and take steps to address/expose this, without instruction.

Flexability: The players ability to slot into varying systems, and the scouts interpretation of what the player could and could not do. This overlaps with a number of areas identified in other sections.

Communication: How the player communicates with his team mates, and coaching staff. Positive re-enforcement? Negative behaviour like sulking and criticising team mates. Ability to convey instruction to team mates. Relevant to Tactical awareness. Does the player relay their thoughts to team mates, or action upon it themselves.

Physique: Self explanatory really. Mine sighted I was "suprisingly" fast of my line, and had good spring. My height provided me advantage in dealing with aerial balls into the box. Major concerns over weight.

Health: Discovery of any issues of health with the player. Mine outlined issues with Asthma, history of a thing where the muscle grows too fast for your bones growing up , something shattlers disease or something. This was marked as a major concern, as it can lead to issues with knee and back ( Which I suffer from now big time)

And there was a rake of others, it was very detailed, as you would be when you are trying to decide out of a bunch of 25 goalkeepers, what three you want to take on a scholership.

So I can only imagine the detail involved when your deciding to spunk £20m on someone.

While the manager will have a high level idea of a player, from watching them in person or on the telly, the scouting reports are important in order to be certain this is a player they want and will fit into their plans

I would thank this twice if I could.

• Advertisement

Or the negotiations might have been ongoing since last summer.

migjht be, but someone who says they have spoken to Herrera quite regularly (and I believe them) said Herrera and his agent felt a move was unlikely as United would be going for proven players this summer, and that was said only a month or two back - so I believe we weren't actively moving on a deal for him recently.

Obviously the person saying this could have been lying at the time, or Herrera could have been lying to him.

migjht be, but someone who says they have spoken to Herrera quite regularly (and I believe them) said Herrera and his agent felt a move was unlikely as United would be going for proven players this summer, and that was said only a month or two back - so I believe we weren't actively moving on a deal for him recently.

Seems a bit odd that we'd be on the brink of signing him last summer, then lose interest all season long, then suddenly want to buy him again. Who knows. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Andy Mitten ‏@AndyMitten 3m
    Just woke up in Brazil. The @anderherrera8 stories are true. He´s a top lad who loves football culture and he´s going to be a great player.

• irishfeen wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if United didn't bother even bidding for cesc, seems as if him fcuking us about last summer ended any potential move.

He didn't have great season for Barca being another reason.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Andy Mitten ‏@AndyMitten 3m

And that clinches it for me, Herrera is a done deal now, imo.

• Advertisement

Who's Andy Mitten? :confused:

Tongue in cheek?

MagicIRL wrote: »

Editor of United We Stand, and freelance writer for media outlets - does a lot of feature pieces for Four Four Two and others, rather than match reports etc.

If he is saying it is true, it is true imo - he would have good connections on this, imo.

I wonder if Herrara will take Chico's place in "Triángulo de amor en Manchester". :D

Reading Koeman has instructed the board at Southampton he will not sanction the sale of Shaw for less then 40m...with the funds used to bolster the squad.

Saga inbound. Herrera deal sounds lovely.

Tongue in cheek?

Nope.

If Mitten is saying the Herrera stories are true, then they are true (imo). I would say the same if he called the stories boll0cks too. I'd trust Mitten on this over any journo.

Reading Koeman has instructed the board at Southampton he will not sanction the sale of Shaw for less then 40m...with the funds used to bolster the squad.

As good as I think Shaw is, I'd tell them to f off and look at Blind, or Rodrigues etc.

• TheDoc wrote: »

FS 40 million

He's an 18yr old LB. 40 ****ing mill is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

He's often on "off the ball " on newstalk, was only on it the other night, he is in brazil for WC, he saidhe had a chat with Lvg the other day.

• Advertisement

Not sure how truthful it is now. But Reddit have it marked as "reliable" and the guys there are really on top of the "who's reliable and unreliable" in terms of MUFC stories.

Was the problem I thought would arise, new manager has come to the club, probably his questions in the interview were" Are you going to hang me out to dry by selling Shaw and Lallana".

I'd imagine it was discussed and a fee was agreed by which the club would sell, allowing the manager to reinvest those funds into the squad.

No surprise here, and as I said no surprise this will drag out. New manager is going to test the boards metal in terms of his authority. And the board arnt going to overule him so early in his tenure.

Expect this to drag out, either United stump big money, or they start making Shaw voice his desire to leave. Shaw being very quiet in this regards, which to me says his agent is telling him to play cool. If your sold you get a bumper contract with United, if you stay, club will have to bump your salary.

Win win for him,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He's an 18yr old LB. 40 ****ing mill is a joke.

But £30 milliom was ok? wasn't that the price everyone seemed happy with.

£30million is still crazy money to be paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah, Andy Mitten doesn't talk bollocks.

30m for an 18 year old left back is too much. 40m is "go f*ck yourself" money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Nope.

If Mitten is saying the Herrera stories are true, then they are true (imo). I would say the same if he called the stories boll0cks too. I'd trust Mitten on this over any journo.
    Its pretty easy for someone to come out and say something is true when so many media outlets have already been running with the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Reading Koeman has instructed the board at Southampton he will not sanction the sale of Shaw for less then 40m

Hopefully Woodward will instruct him to go F***k himself. I have serious reservations paying 30 million for him, never mind paying 40 million.

40m for Shaw is like what I'd do when I'm playing FM and someone comes after a player, so I stick a stupid price tag on him in a "I don't want him to go, but can easily buy 3 or 4 replacements with the cash if I can get it" situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Not sure how truthful it is now. But Reddit have it marked as "reliable" and the guys there are really on top of the "who's reliable and unreliable" in terms of MUFC stories.
    link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

But £30 milliom was ok? wasn't that the price everyone seemed happy with.

£30million is still crazy money to be paying.

i wasnt happy with it

i would have put his value at 20-25 so 30 was just about acceptable given our circumstances

40mill is ****ing insane

• Advertisement

Its pretty easy for someone to come out and say something is true when so many media outlets have already been running with the story.

I'd be impressed if he said it a day or 2 ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement