Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

There is more than one decent LB in the world, interest in luke Shaw should be dropped in my opinion. 40m even as a bargaining tool to get 34m or whatever. Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As good as I think Shaw is, I'd tell them to f off and look at Blind, or Rodrigues etc.

Agreed.

You could get a more experienced level LB with international and European competition experience for cheaper then that.

I'm all for buying for the future and buying top class players, but £30m+ for an English LB is mental, considering there is a high risk factor there.

You also have to wonder if LVG is interested. He's working the last how long, with a pretty good, dynamic LB, who has stepped up in this WC and being very impressive.

Get the feeling this deal might slip away. Can't see LVG being blown away by an English LB with one seasons exposure. That's a MASSIVE risk to take in his first few months in the job, sanctioning a £40m signing for an unproven talent.

Look at the Fellaini reaction and that is a relatively small sum in the modern era, for a player with a proven track record that we all know can play better. That was hung around Moyes neck big time.

Smart move from LVG would be to let this one pass if it's that sum, and I wouldn't blame him.

Leftist wrote: »
    link?

Came up in my RSS feed to my work email. It doesnt give names of papers etc so it doesn't flag with our e-mail policy, and I can't check all the websites this morning (Im sposed to be busy as **** )

I'd say have a quick check around to see, F365 probably has the specifics in their gossip column, they always report the daily gossip from papers

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

Bilbao in Champions League next year and coming to United. Shows that Champions league isn't an essential requirement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Its pretty easy for someone to come out and say something is true when so many media outlets have already been running with the story.

Yeah, the idea that Mitten might have known about this deal already and just conveniently announces it a few hours after the press association did is lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Ducker saying we haven't bid 34m for Shaw in his Herrera piece.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4128593.ece

Donerkebab wrote: »
    Bilbao in Champions League next year and coming to United. Shows that Champions league isn't an essential requirement!

I personally dont think its a massive concern.

I think most people will put it down to being a blip, and the club will get back into it quickly.

I think the Liverpool comparison, and a valid one to be honest, was different in a sense that the club started to sell their top players. Alonso, Mascherano, Torres etc.

We arn't showing the appearance of downsizing, we are keeping our top players, if anything I'm sure we are prsenting an enticing project to potential targets, with the investment we are talking about making, to get back into the CL asap.

I'd understand players reservations about no CL football, if they saw Rooney and RVP for example walking out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Why are we bothering with Luke Shaw at that price. I'd rather Moreno. Blind is good but is too slow IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Shaw for me is probably worth £15-£20M. Then there is the fact he is English and only 18, plus the United tax clubs in England charge. These factors would have pushed his 'value' closer to £30M.

Southampton were p*ssed as they were hoping for an auction, they pretty much released the £27M bid information as soon as United made it. When no one bit to match and raise that bid no more information came from them, so they stalled until the WC started hoping he would play games and raise his value. That hasn't happened so the next nugget is 'Koeman is digging his heels in unless United bid £40M'.

They know Shaw's agent has been talking to United for months now, the deal is almost done from the players point of view. Now its just the selling club trying to get more money and United seem to baulking at the demands. I expect the deal to be done soon but will probably be closer to the £37M paid for Mata. Southampton know United have money and know United want him/ need him. Whether its right or not is not the question, the selling club have the power and if United want him, and can afford to play hard ball then that is their perogative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Ducker saying we haven't bid 34m for Shaw in his Herrera piece.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4128593.ece

That line doesnt read right to me, ayone else pick it up that way/ Think it should read and have NOW submitted a new bid? doesnt make sense the way its shown on that piece.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

That line doesnt read right to me, ayone else pick it up that way/ Think it should read and have NOW submitted a new bid? doesnt make sense the way its shown on that piece.

I think you're right tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yeah, it is either odd structure or a typo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Just catching up an a couple of hundred posts :eek: since I last read in here. And what's jumping out at me is that I am really looking forward to three things.

van Gaal being our new manager.
    United signing new players.
    The charter reverting to original at the end of the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Shaw for me is probably worth £15-£20M. Then there is the fact he is English and only 18, plus the United tax clubs in England charge. These factors would have pushed his 'value' closer to £30M.

Southampton were p*ssed as they were hoping for an auction, they pretty much released the £27M bid information as soon as United made it. When no one bit to match and raise that bid no more information came from them, so they stalled until the WC started hoping he would play games and raise his value. That hasn't happened so the next nugget is 'Koeman is digging his heels in unless United bid £40M'.

They know Shaw's agent has been talking to United for months now, the deal is almost done from the players point of view. Now its just the selling club trying to get more money and United seem to baulking at the demands. I expect the deal to be done soon but will probably be closer to the £37M paid for Mata. Southampton know United have money and know United want him/ need him. Whether its right or not is not the question, the selling club have the power and if United want him, and can afford to play hard ball then that is their perogative.

Sounds right they were probably hoping Chelsea would compete but if the price is 37 million I hope they tell them to **** off

Hococop wrote: »
    Sounds right they were probably hoping Chelsea would compete but if the price is 37 million I hope they tell them to **** off

Chelsea won't be interested with them signing Filipe Luis.

Can't see anyone paying that much for Shaw tbh. Leave them for a weeks and they'll crawl back looking for 25m.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

It's being reported on th BBC that it's close now. Speaking for myself here of course, I have to say I will be de-fcuking- lighted if we sign Herrera. I think he will be a brilliant fit for us. I couldn't give two fcuks that he's not a Vidal, Fabregas, Koke etc. I think he will add hugely to our midfield(not that it would be hard). I only really started watching the guy this year and I was disappointed we didn't get him last year.

Him and Shaw will be a great way to kick the transfers off!

The thoughts of us actually signing a ball playing centre midfielder has me borderline delirious! It's been more then half a decade!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Hococop wrote: »

Would agree, would much rather we go for someone like Blind who has been impressive (have seen him play live for Ajax a few times as well as watching the WC) for circa 12-15m. Very versatile as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

But £30 milliom was ok? wasn't that the price everyone seemed happy with.

£30million is still crazy money to be paying.

30mill was never ok. The problem was back then Evra was on his way out and all we had was Buttner. In the right world, Shaw would be 15m. He's young, talented and has Premier League experience.

Add on to that the stupid English tax and the United tax and multiply by the depesration of only having Buttner and we arrive close to 30mill in my opinion.

But, things have changed. Moyes is out, LvG is in. Buttner is going out, Evra is staying in. We've retained our first choice LB (however poor his is).

I would much prefer another signing over Shaw for the money he's being touted at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

We should wash our hands of Luke shaw immediately. 30m was exceptionally high for a teenage full back. 40m is just nonsense. We could probably nab Vidal for that type of money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I like Andy Mitten but I don't think he has much 'inside' information. He gets interviews and access because of the fanzine. But I don't think he gets any information about transfers.

There is no doubt that Woodward has decided to stop briefing the media with transfer stories and it seemed to stop after the first Shaw bid.

Is the Woodward mob still out or are the pitchforks back in the hay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I've been told by a friend who watches La Liga regularly that he thought Ander was better than Koke and would take him at his club in a heartbeat for that price

Send the lads in

three-amigos.png

glued wrote: »
    I like Andy Mitten but I don't think he has much 'inside' information. He gets interviews and access because of the fanzine.

There is no doubt that Woodward has decided to stop briefing the media with transfer stories and it seemed to stop after the first Shaw bid.

one signing, not even made yet, does not a summer make.

glued wrote: »
    I like Andy Mitten but I don't think he has much 'inside' information. He gets interviews and access because of the fanzine. But I don't think he gets any information about transfers.

Nothings done yet. He's still starring down the barrel until quality is signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

one signing, not even made yet, does not a summer make.

Ah.. but one signing, on the way, does not a summer.. break..

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The club aren't insane, 30 million was too much for Shaw but considering he's the best around and was consistent in the premier league already it was worth the risk. 40 million is a joke

We could get Rodriguez for half that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

The club aren't insane, 30 million was too much for Shaw but considering he's the best around and was consistent in the premier league already it was worth the risk. 40 million is a joke

We could get Rodriguez for half that

Consistency surely spans more than a season

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I would prefer a sponsorship by Shaws as the official ham supplier to the club than Luke Shaw at this stage if the figure has gone to a ridiculous £40 million.

There are other left backs, let Southampton wallow in their greed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

RobertKK wrote: »
    I would prefer a sponsorship by Shaws as the official ham supplier to the club than Luke Shaw at this stage if the figure has gone to a ridiculous £40 million.

There are other left backs, let Southampton wallow in their greed.

I think its more like they want to keep their player rather than greed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A great day and the best is yet to come in coming weeks I sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Southampton are small fry, a selling club. It's in their interests financially to cash in on their best players.

If the player wants to leave and the club wants to milk it, then it is greed in my opinion.
    But yes, they might be doing this to force him to stay.

Southampton official: 'I'm sorry Luke, but you will have to stay, only we can see your true value, you want to go to United but they don't believe you are worth what we see, you will have to stay and show them what they are missing... ' :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

If the player wants to leave and the club wants to milk it, then it is greed in my opinion.
    But yes, they might be doing this to force him to stay.

Southampton official: 'I'm sorry Luke, but you will have to stay, only we can see your true value, you want to go to United but they don't believe you are worth what we see, you will have to stay and show them what they are missing... ' :P

It's not greed, it's doing what is best for their club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Out of interest, how are we doing on the homegrown front? We have lost Giggs and Rio so far, with more possibly on the way. Are we going to have to buy a HG player?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    It's not greed, it's doing what is best for their club.

If they want to sell him and end up not being able to because they overpriced him, then it would be greed.
    That is the only position I see that would be greed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

thelad95 wrote: »
    Southampton are small fry, a selling club. It's in their interests financially to cash in on their best players.

You should probably check out the prize money clubs received from the Premier league last season. Southampton received £77 million for finishing in 8th place, the idea that these clubs need to sell to survive doesn't hold true any more.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Out of interest, how are we doing on the homegrown front? We have lost Giggs and Rio so far, with more possibly on the way. Are we going to have to buy a HG player?

Amo, Rafael, Evans, Smalling, Jones, Cleverley, Fletcher, Carrick, Welbeck, Rooney

8 players needed, 4 trained by United - on the above we are ok. Not sure if Rooney counts as United trained.

We could see a couple of those midfielders go though - would expect Cleverley to stay though, personally.

You should probably check out the prize money clubs received from the Premier league last season. Southampton received £77 million for finishing in 8th place, the idea that these clubs need to sell to survive doesn't hold true any more.

have read they have a lot of transfer fees to meet this summer.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Rafael
    Phil Jones
    Evans
    Rooney
    Smalling
    Carrick
    Young
    Welbeck
    Cleverley
    Fletcher
    Zaha
    Powell
    Januzaj
    Amos
    Wison

Out of thse I think Powell, Januzaj, Zaha, Wilson can play without registering them.

Amo, Rafael, Evans, Smalling, Jones, Cleverley, Fletcher, Carrick, Welbeck, Rooney

8 players needed, 4 trained by United - on the above we are ok. Not sure if Rooney counts as United trained.

We could see a couple of those midfielders go though - would expect Cleverley to stay though, personally.

For Premier league squad you just need 8 home grown players and there is not restriction of club trained players.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Rafael
    Phil Jones
    Evans
    Rooney
    Smalling
    Carrick
    Young
    Welbeck
    Cleverley
    Fletcher
    Zaha
    Powell
    Januzaj
    Amos
    Wison

Out of thse I think Powell, Januzaj, Zaha, Wilson can play without registering them.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Zaha go and for Lingard to get some time in the first team, he has lots of potential in my opinion, and I suspect he doesn't have the Zaha attitude problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Watched the youtube video of Ander Herrera against Barcelona and was delighted with what I saw. A midfielder who not only wants the ball but also turns and runs with it.

Looks like he was used on the right side of a midfield 3. Im so interested in our tactics for next year. If i see a 442 again i'll be disappointed. Just want something different for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

GSPfan wrote: »
    Watched the youtube video of Ander Herrera against Barcelona and was delighted with what I saw. A midfielder who not only wants the ball but also turns and runs with it.

Looks like he was used on the right side of a midfield 3. Im so interested in our tactics for next year. If i see a 442 again i'll be disappointed. Just want something different for a change.

I think its safe to asume we won't see 4-4-2 as the main formation under LVG. He loves 4-3-3 and variations of that.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Zaha go and for Lingard to get some time in the first team, he has lots of potential in my opinion, and I suspect he doesn't have the Zaha attitude problem.

I would be surprised if we sell Zaha so early. Maybe one more loan deal next season to PL club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

GSPfan wrote: »

I read he was deployed as a no10 mostly this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

TheTownie wrote: »
    I read he was deployed as a no10 mostly this season.

Can play anywhere in midfield though.

So this just went up on the United Facebook page

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/12987-join-our-squad

KH25 wrote: »
    I think its safe to asume we won't see 4-4-2 as the main formation under LVG. He loves 4-3-3 and variations of that.
    Wouldn't assume anything with Van Gaal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Further evidence -
    Graham Hunter ‏@BumperGraham 8m

I expect the deal for @anderherrera8 to happen. Promptly #United #Ander

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Lucas Hood wrote: »

That's Stanislav Manolev he is with who signed for them a week ago. Looks a done deal tbh. wonder what the fee is, considering he cost £3.5M if I remember right.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement