Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Looks a done deal tbh. wonder what the fee is, considering he cost £3.5M if I remember right.

I'd say a fax rolled off machines at football clubs across Europe that read something like:

"25 year old male left back. Well trained and has been vaccinated. Free to good home."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Looked through the Dutch squad and it is so average. With Robben and RVP they have two world class players. Sneijder has been awful and none of the rest are standout players. Not in a million years did i see them topping that group nevermind scoring 10 goals and getting 9 points. I watched every game and his tactics were spot on and he got the best out of the players he had. I could not be more excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Duplicate post, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Looked through the Dutch squad and it is so average. With Robben and RVP they have two world class players. Sneijder has been awful and none of the rest are standout players. Not in a million years did i see them topping that group nevermind scoring 10 goals and getting 9 points. I watched every game and his tactics were spot on and he got the best out of the players he had. I could not be more excited.

Brilliant management and tactics which have been perfectly adapted for each opponent. I positively can't sit still with excitement waiting for his arrival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Ogden in on the act now
    Mark Ogden ‏@MOgdenTelegraph 4m

#mufc are indeed attempting to sign Ander Herrera. Could be done by end of the week, £28.8m. Still as surprised as last night..!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

I think Blind, Janmaat and Depay have been quite good in fairness. But you're right that the squad isn't amazing on paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

im really looking forward to seeing mata next season, just think how good he was with Chelsea for 2 years and then his form with united towards the end of the season, an absolute world class player we are lucky to have, add Herrera into the mix really looking forward to next season with more signings on the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The tactics will only get Holland so far, their squad isn't great. Quarters would be a great achievement, semis fantastic with that squad.

Imagine they won it and we had a World Cup winning manager coming in, Van Gaal would obtain a god complex and start referring to himself as Allah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

glued wrote: »
    Is the Woodward mob still out or are the pitchforks back in the hay?

As per usual under Woodward's watch there's been rumours and speculation but no actual signings as yet.

If the most recent rumours are true I expect more torches to be lit.

I haven't seen anything of Ander Herrera but if he'd been setting the world alight at Bilbao last season somebody would surely have mentioned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Think loaning out Zaha is a waste of time if he doesn't sort out his attitude. I think if he is to go we should sell him but maybe LVG can sort him out he has lots of raw talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Were Zaha's attitude problems local to Moyes or was he equally as bad with Ole?

• Nuts102 wrote: »

That's a little bit unfair on De Jong, I think he play's the role LVG has given him extremely well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Heard one of the lads on the off the ball show (who was at the game ) saying sneijder worked ferociously hard off the ball against spain. Putting in a huge shift is worth a lot more to a team then one or two omg moments imo. Id be happy to have sneijder at utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

dor843088 wrote: »
    Heard one of the lads on the off the ball show (who was at the game ) saying sneijder worked ferociously hard off the ball against spain. Putting in a huge shift is worth a lot more to a team then one or two omg moments imo. Id be happy to have sneijder at utd.

Thinks he's well past it now, two or three years ago I'd have been delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and this isn't an attacko n you, but Holland were scandously under rated coming into this tournament.

The assumption of inhouse fighting going to kick off, and for some reason the excuse "not enough quality" kept cropping up.

Sure there is a large portion of the squad play their football in Holland, but that's not to say they arn't any use.

And if this world cup has shown anything, it's that teams are being the best because of the sum of their parts, not because of their superstars. Holland are no exception to this. Only really Brazil have been.

De Jong is a good midfielder who I think people saw him at City and assumed the worst, along with his headline tackle at the last World Cup. But hes a tidy midfielder who is a bit of a rabid dog at times. Been one of the standout DM's in the tournament so far.

Van Gaal has operated pretty nicely in terms of keeping the front 3 fresh. They do a lot of work, and they seem to get ahead in the game, and then he makes the changes. Although it can't be forgotten those front three are kicking on in terms of age, although you wouldn't think it looking at Robben flying.

Bodes well for us next season, downright impressed with Van Gaal ( not that i needed impressing) but the way he seems to be able to shift tactically is pretty wonderful to see.

Stormed into the next round, no injuries, no suspensions I think, plenty of rest for the front three, and some big hitters not even involved. Suprised Huntelaar hasnt got a look in yet.

Thinks he's well past it now, two or three years ago I'd have been delighted.

Sneijder has done exceptionally well in that dutch front 3 operating through the middle.

Look it's no big secret Sneijder went where he went for the money. I'm sorry but a top quality player doesn't go to Turkey, unless hes getting big money, and wants to take the foot of the gas somewhat.

He will regret that decision, he was at the peak of his powers and decided that he would take a step back.

Sneijders game has never been built on pace, it's been passing and intelligence, with clever movement and the likes. Could probably do well for us, but your assuming there is dynamic pace around him.

It's unfortunate he never arrived, but I think there is better players out there. If he came for a snippet, sure why not, but I wouldnt go hunting him down and getting bogged down in the financials again like last time with him.

I think he had his chance, he decided to go for some easy money to Turkey, best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

delighted sneijder ended up in turkey. He could have been a united player if he wasn't so greedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Imagine they won it and we had a World Cup winning manager coming in, Van Gaal would obtain a god complex and start referring to himself as Allah.

I'm hoping for good things from LVG as well but I do think people shouldn't be getting so carried away, he is certainly not guaranteed to be a success. A lot of people seem to think that it is a given that LVG will sign the right players and handle our squad in the right way, that he will hit the ground running and we can get back into the top four.

Don't forget, Phil Scolari was a world cup winning manager who came to the Premier league with a big reputation and look how that turned out! I think I'll wait and see before I start proclaiming Van Gaal as our lord and saviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm hoping for good things from LVG as well but I do think people shouldn't be getting so carried away, he is certainly not guaranteed to be a success. A lot of people seem to think that it is a given that LVG will sign the right players and handle our squad in the right way, that he will hit the ground running and we can get back into the top four.

Don't forget, Phil Scolari was a world cup winning manager who came to the Premier league with a big reputation and look how that turned out! I think I'll wait and see before I start proclaiming Van Gaal as our lord and saviour.

Big Phil had never managed a club side out of Brazil; I always thought there were question marks over him and his ability to manage Chelsea.

LVG has managed in Spain, Holland and Germany, and is experienced in the CL too - I dont have the same reservations about him. Obviously it may not work out, but I personaly think it is a very different situation to Scolari.

TheDoc wrote: »
    De Jong is a good midfielder who I think people saw him at City and assumed the worst, along with his headline tackle at the last World Cup. But hes a tidy midfielder who is a bit of a rabid dog at times. Been one of the standout DM's in the tournament so far..

Is there anybody really saying differently? De Jong was excellent for City and I was surprised that they let him go, I'd have rather had him this last few seasons than Cleverley or Fletcher thats for sure.

Big Phil had never managed a club side out of Brazil; I always thought there were question marks over him and his ability to manage Chelsea.

LVG has managed in Spain, Holland and Germany, and is experienced in the CL too - I dont have the same reservations about him. Obviously it may not work out, but I personaly think it is a very different situation to Scolari.

Well that's not true.
    Here is managerial record.
    CLtGl0R.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Nice write about Herrera

http://www.loadofbullplop.co.uk

FYP :pac:

Only messing, just will never seriously read the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and this isn't an attacko n you, but Holland were scandously under rated coming into this tournament.

The assumption of inhouse fighting going to kick off, and for some reason the excuse "not enough quality" kept cropping up.

Sure there is a large portion of the squad play their football in Holland, but that's not to say they arn't any use.

And if this world cup has shown anything, it's that teams are being the best because of the sum of their parts, not because of their superstars. Holland are no exception to this. Only really Brazil have been.

De Jong is a good midfielder who I think people saw him at City and assumed the worst, along with his headline tackle at the last World Cup. But hes a tidy midfielder who is a bit of a rabid dog at times. Been one of the standout DM's in the tournament so far.

Van Gaal has operated pretty nicely in terms of keeping the front 3 fresh. They do a lot of work, and they seem to get ahead in the game, and then he makes the changes. Although it can't be forgotten those front three are kicking on in terms of age, although you wouldn't think it looking at Robben flying.

Bodes well for us next season, downright impressed with Van Gaal ( not that i needed impressing) but the way he seems to be able to shift tactically is pretty wonderful to see.

Stormed into the next round, no injuries, no suspensions I think, plenty of rest for the front three, and some big hitters not even involved. Suprised Huntelaar hasnt got a look in yet.

Yes, top scorers in the European section of the world cup qualifiers.

They were not Spain or Germany or even France, so got overlooked with their near neighbours Belgium being more talked about.

LVG did a great job for the Dutch side.

It is a different situation and Van Gaals experience should stand to him, but he still is by no means a guaranteed success, I just think some people are getting carried away and overstating the effect he is going to have.

Obviously I hope I am wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Well that's not true.
    Here is managerial record.
    CLtGl0R.png

some japanese outfit in the mid 90s?

hardly refutes the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Leftist wrote: »

Al-Shabab as well in fairness.

Leftist wrote: »

Clubs in Kuwait , Saudia Arabia & Japan before he took over Chelsea.

It definitely refutes the point when your point is he never managed a club side outside of Brazil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

When I've watched Herrerra he looked fairly average and was thankful that we hadn't signed him.

I find it strange that 2 consecutive managers seem to feel to think that's he's worth 30 million.

I just hope it's the managers decision regarding the transfer and not some director of football behind the scenes orchestrating the deal.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

keane2097 wrote: »
    Al-Shabab as well in fairness.

He ran a terrorist group in Somalia? He's obviously a loose cannon Bill.

In Mitch's defence, bar Chelsea, I thought he only managed in Brazil. And when you look at your chart, you can see he barely managed 12 months with a club outside of Brazil.

So while the specifics might be slightly skewered, doesn't think it derides his opinion ( one I echo) of his credentials outside of Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Clubs in Kuwait , Saudia Arabia & Japan before he took over Chelsea.

It definitely refutes the point when your point is he never managed a club side outside of Brazil.

It doesn't refute the spirit of his point though - Scolari had no experience of managing top level clubs in Europe.

In Mitch's defence, bar Chelsea, I thought he only managed in Brazil. And when you look at your chart, you can see he barely managed 12 months with a club outside of Brazil.

So while the specifics might be slightly skewered, doesn't think it derides his opinion ( one I echo) of his credentials outside of Brazil.

Had he said he never managed a top club side outside of Brazil I'd have agreed with him. Just correcting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Buttner
    "I want to play in the Champions League and win trophies."

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Spanish media claiming that Herrera is set to travel to Manchester tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ok, i was wrong, genuinely thought he had only managed club level in Brazil. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

He ran a terrorist group in Somalia? He's obviously a loose cannon Bill.

Would he kill his granny for the cause though Bill?

• Advertisement

Seems Ian Wright is on the same lines as the lads in regards national team pride ;)

Some shocking comments from that moron today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Hello it’s Ed Woodward again.

Yes, yes it was quite embarrassing. That was also very regrettable and as I said last time, we're very sorry about that, but funnily enough that’s why I’m calling.

We're still interested…

No we made no bid for Toni Kroos…. he’s not our type of player. Yes, he has looked good at the World Cup. No not Schweinsteiger either.

Fabregas was a complex situation..

Vidal? …who does he play for?

Mr. Van Gaal has full faith in me.

Listen about Ander Herrara, what’s your bottom line?

Same as last year? But…

Yes I know your club has been clear about that but I was hoping..

I see.

Will you accept bitcoin?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Seems Ian Wright is on the same lines as the lads in regards national team pride ;)

Some shocking comments from that moron today

He really is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Zico wrote: »

lol?

Buttner

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Are you upset that Buttner is saying nice things about his new club? Or that he isn't being effusive in his praise for the club that didn't ever give him any real gametime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

http://www.flightradar24.com/51.5,-0.13/7

if you want to keep track of what planes are going into manchester.;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If I come in from work later and don't see Herrera in a United shirt,I'll be pretty pissed off:

http://as.com/diarioas/2014/06/24/english/1403565957_171547.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Zico wrote: »

WTF is that?

It makes no sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Fairly strong Spanish contingent at the club if Herrera signs, who'd have thunk it! I keep forgetting we have Mata and one of the best young keepers in the world in De Gea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Are you upset that Buttner is saying nice things about his new club? Or that he isn't being effusive in his praise for the club that didn't ever give him any real gametime?

or when he did play he was normally crap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

glued wrote: »
    WTF is that?

It makes no sense

It does make sense, its just not very funny :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement