Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Prize money rises, television money rises - flipside is always going to be that player values and wages rises in tandem. Remember when people called the Zidane and Figo transfers outrageous money. Go back to the first 1m transfer and people said the same.

Yeah that's what I'm saying.. we need to adjust to the Times and not penny pinch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

Has the talk of signing Carvalho died off completely then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

burrenguy wrote: »
    Has the talk of signing Carvalho died off completely then?

Yup, he was a Moyes player so doubt LVG wants him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yup, he was a Moyes player so doubt LVG wants him.

Herrera was a "Moyes Player" too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lord TSC wrote: »

Or he would have been had Moyes not dithered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Hopefully we haven't bitten off more than we can chew with this Herrera transaction. We don't want to cannibalise our transfer kitty. Hopefully Van Gaal and Woodward can get their teeth into that list of transfer targets once the World Cup is over. We need to pay prospective players better than in-dentured slaves. We need someone who's as hard as enamel for our midfield. The rumoured signings could be savage. I'll celebrate like an animal if they come to fruition. Hopefully the details of future deals will be fleshed out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hopefully we haven't bitten off more than we can chew with this Herrera transaction. We don't want to cannibalise our transfer kitty. Hopefully Van Gaal and Woodward can get their teeth into that list of transfer targets once the World Cup is over. We need to pay prospective players better than in-dentured slaves. We need someone who's as hard as enamel for our midfield. The rumoured signings could be savage. I'll celebrate like an animal if they come to fruition. Hopefully the details of future deals will be fleshed out soon.

1861-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I have been saving my first post in here for something special.

No, just no.

tumblr_inline_muzx5fZQjX1rcohv7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

If there's any bad or embarrassing news relating to the club now is the time to release it. Anything that happens in the next 48 hours will be buried under Suarez-gate III and no one will ever remember it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kags starts,nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Lord TSC wrote: »

True..... I fail at boardsing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Having watched the England game I really hope we don't pay 40 million for luke Shaw.

No left back is worth that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

god I hate that money crap, its getting tiring at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Having watched the England game I really hope we don't pay 40 million for luke Shaw.

No left back is worth that.

Id rather Ashley Cole for free

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Headshot wrote: »
    god I hate that money crap, its getting tiring at this stage

You don't think 40million is mental talk for a player that is 18 and a left back?

Even 30million seems crazy to me.

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »
    You don't think 40million is mental talk for a player that is 18 and a left back?

Even 30million seems crazy to me.

Nope. Im certain he will be a WC left back and will have us cover for LB for years to come.

I would pay 40m even, just get it over and done with tbh.

Nope. Im certain he will be a WC left back and will have us cover for LB for years to come.

I would pay 40m even, just get it over and done with tbh.

Fair Enough :)

I don't think its that important a position so that would be my disagreement but I won't argue, just curious at your thinking.

Fair Enough :)

I don't think its that important a position so that would be my disagreement but I won't argue, just curious at your thinking.

I think these days its very important, infact the way the game is going, its one of the most important positions.

You see LVG Dutch team and the full backs and blazing forward all the time, Blink being the stand out performer.

I lost count how many times last season Jones at RB ****ed up the mojo of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

40million for Shaw would be madness. Better options available for less.

KH25 wrote: »
    40million for Shaw would be madness. Better options available for less.

Like who?

Name a player that is PL proven and has a better future than Shaw?

• Advertisement

I think these days its very important, infact the way the game is going, its one of the most important positions.

You see LVG Dutch team and the full backs and blazing forward all the time, Blink being the stand out performer.

I lost count how many times last season Jones at RB ****ed up the mojo of the team.

Oh I agree its important.

Buying a full back for the initial reported bid of 27 million wouldn't be a major issue for me if they were bit more established. Shaw is still so young, I would rather a player that was ready to go in an play all games from day one. I am not sure he fits that right now considering his age and experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Like who?

You can't see into the future. Phil Jones was supposedly a future England captain.

You can't see into the future. Phil Jones was supposedly a future England captain.

Yes I can, I knew I would reply to this post

Like who?

You could probably buy four talented young defenders for that amount of money.

Like who?

Jordi Alba

Zico wrote: »
    Jordi Alba

Who did he play for in the PL?

Who did he play for in the PL?

Barcelona and Valencia.

Primera Liga :p

You could probably buy four talented young defenders for that amount of money.

But I would argue they wouldnt be near Shaw's lvl. Utd are buying a player that they dont need to replace for 10 plus years, its going to save money in the long run
    Jordi Alba
    I must of missed him playing in the PL but jokes aside he would never everrrr leave Barca for utd.

Primera Liga :p

Well Played!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Pretty impressive stats here from Herrera

Bq7AkhfIMAEt6lF.jpg

• Advertisement

Out of interest is there a comparable transfer that anyone can think of (for Shaw), bearing in mind his age and lack of experience?

Rio was very expensive but had lots of experience in the EPL, Champions League, with England.

While Varane joined Real for only 10million euro (I know neither are full backs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lucas Moura £44 million

Lucas Moura £44 million

I was thinking of defenders :pac:

Since you mention PSG, Marquinhos would fit the bill but I still think that was massive and unnecessary money.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Out of interest is there a comparable transfer that anyone can think of (for Shaw), bearing in mind his age and lack of experience?

Rio was very expensive but had lots of experience in the EPL, Champions League, with England.

While Varane joined Real for only 10million euro (I know neither are full backs)

Rooney?

Edit: See you said defenders now but he had little experience and cost a bit at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Brenty

Marquinhos roma to psg €31 million

Like who?

Why need he be PL proven? We're looking for the club to sign players like Vidal. What PL experience has he got? So why must our LB have it? FWIW I would like to see us sign Shaw but 40million is ridiculous. Its literally just because of his nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Brenty

Marquinhos roma to psg €31 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I did a quick write up on Ander Herrera for Balls.ie/.co.uk here: http://balls.co.uk/ander-herrera-5-things-need-know-uniteds-new-signing/ for those who haven't seen any of him. It's only a quick piece but my thoughts on how and where he will play for us are in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

KH25 wrote: »
    Why need he be PL proven? We're looking for the club to sign players like Vidal. What PL experience has he got? So why must our LB have it? FWIW I would like to see us sign Shaw but 40million is ridiculous. Its literally just because of his nationality.

Don't see what the difference 5 or so million makes when you are investing in 10+ years cover in an important position. Just get the transfer done and concentrate on the others the team needs. Talk of money not being spent would irk me a lot more tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Southampton should give us a discount on Shaw considering we bought Buttner instead of them, had they bought him who knows how Shaw would have developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I did a quick write up on Ander Herrera for Balls.ie/.co.uk here: http://balls.co.uk/ander-herrera-5-things-need-know-uniteds-new-signing/ for those who haven't seen any of him. It's only a quick piece but my thoughts on how and where he will play for us are in there.

Nice piece Mikey. Hate to be THAT guy but the last sentence, career v carrer :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Shaw's pass for Lallana was exquisite to be fair...although one swallow doesn't make a summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Full back positions are the easiest to fill on the pitch and spending £40 million on one is madness IMO and one who isn't even near world class at that

Don't see what the difference 5 or so million makes when you are investing in 10+ years cover in an important position. Just get the transfer done and concentrate on the others the team needs. Talk of money not being spent would irk me a lot more tbh

Well its 10million, which is a fair chunk of change. I just think its money that should be better spent on midfield.

But I would argue they wouldnt be near Shaw's lvl. Utd are buying a player that they dont need to replace for 10 plus years, its going to save money in the long run

I would be more than happy to buy Shaw and have him for ten years, but at some point you simply have to say that a transfer fee is not good value. Its not a computer game, overspending for certain players does have a tangible effect and I would prefer the club was run responsibly, within reason.

I wouldn't pay £100million for Gareth Bale, I wouldn't pay £35 million for Andy Carroll and £40 million is simply far too much money for Luke Shaw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You gotta be a certain type of special if you think it's worth spending £40m on a left back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

we could get decent lb for 15 million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rio cost 30m in 2002. Wonder what that would translate to in today's market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rio cost 30m in 2002. Wonder what that would translate to in today's market?

english + united love for paying crazy cash for english = 130m est

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

english + united love for paying crazy cash for english = 130m est

It would easily be 50m and probably a good bit more. Looking back you would say it was money well spent but he was well established, Shaw isn't near that level yet. There is a big risk element involved even if he does look the real deal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement