Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Hopefully we haven't bitten off more than we can chew with this Herrera transaction. We don't want to cannibalise our transfer kitty. Hopefully Van Gaal and Woodward can get their teeth into that list of transfer targets once the World Cup is over. We need to pay prospective players better than in-dentured slaves. We need someone who's as hard as enamel for our midfield. The rumoured signings could be savage. I'll celebrate like an animal if they come to fruition. Hopefully the details of future deals will be fleshed out soon.

Let me guess you had Italian for dinner tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Let me guess you had Italian for dinner tonight

A Chewy Luis, rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

People seem to forget that Rio Ferdinand was already the worlds most expensive defender before United bought him, Leeds broke that record when they signed him from West Ham.

Before Rio ever joined United he was the Leeds club captain, was first choice centre back at the 2002 World cup and had played in a Champions league semi-final.

Luke Shaw is 18 and plays for Southampton. I get why the comparison, but its not really the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

What will become of our Shinji next year? Was he any good tonight? Maybe i'm been blinded because he's a very likeable player but hopefully he come's good under LVG, Hasn't Van Gaal praised him very highly already from his time in the Bundesliga?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Can we please sign sign James Rodriguez...he is top quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Can we please sign sign James Rodriguez...he is top quality.

He was always quality imo but obviously his price tag has sky rocketed now. He's having some tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

40 million for Rodriguez I'd sanction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

40 million for Rodriguez I'd sanction

He cost more than that last season. Monaco paid €45m for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Reported herrera passed medical

Not sure if its totally true or just bs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

we could get decent lb for 15 million

Could we? Who?

We need more than a decent LB also. Evra is our only recognised one and he was cack last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Degag wrote: »
    Could we? Who?

We need more than a decent LB also. Evra is our only recognised one and he was cack last season.

im not going to list players we might not be linked too cause that would open can of worms but yes a few decent lb are out there for that price if you try hard enough. we were linked with few last summer for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hopefully we haven't bitten off more than we can chew with this Herrera transaction. We don't want to cannibalise our transfer kitty. Hopefully Van Gaal and Woodward can get their teeth into that list of transfer targets once the World Cup is over. We need to pay prospective players better than in-dentured slaves. We need someone who's as hard as enamel for our midfield. The rumoured signings could be savage. I'll celebrate like an animal if they come to fruition. Hopefully the details of future deals will be fleshed out soon.

Biting analysis that. All going well and come August time, hopefully we'll all be happy with the signings. Otherwise Woodward will be really in the doghouse. I'll be content if we can sign one midfield warrior, who can be a real pack leader for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is he going to use that 5-2-1-2 system at United do you think? Working for Holland :P

dyucsw.jpg

Another CB would be nice, even if Vermaelan signs, central midfielder too, can't see any room for Nani/Young/Zaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Is he going to use that 5-2-1-2 system at United do you think? Working for Holland :P

dyucsw.jpg

Another CB would be nice, even if Vermaelan signs, central midfielder too, can't see any room for Nani/Young/Zaha

Hes only using that formation out of necessity really. It'll be back to his favourite 433 with us i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Reports this morning that United have been working for some time to make sure there are no tax issues in the purchase of Herrera and that Herrera himself contributing €4m from future Manchester United salary to help deal go through.

Most pleasing element as long of course that it does go through is the lack of information leaked to the press from either side - it's nice to give the rags the two fingers every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

irishfeen wrote: »
    Reports this morning that United have been working for some time to make sure there are no tax issues in the purchase of Herrera and that Herrera himself contributing €4m from future Manchester United salary to help deal go through.

Most pleasing element as long of course that it does go through is the lack of information leaked to the press from either side - it's nice to give the rags the two fingers every so often.

remember reading an article a while back saying that United needed to get back to the old way of doing things, and cited the Hernandez transfer - where we agreed to play a friendly vs Chivas on the condition that the transfer was not leaked before it was made official. Seemingly United giving extras or incentives to keep quiet was fairly common.

glued wrote: »
    I think one of the problems more recently was that the leaks were coming from our side. That seems to have stopped now which is great news.

true - but the point would remain. In order to get back to the old ways the leaks would also have to stop from our side, no point incentivising the other party if you are blabbing yourself.

Interesting that Southampton went running to the press the moment we bid for Shaw at the end of the season.

• irishfeen wrote: »

Great news; I'm really liking how this deal is being handled.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

This time yesterday i was a bit angry with the amount stated UTD were spending on this player. After a bit more thought and reading up on few things il admit i was being harsh. Its a central midfielder, hes badly needed so, thumbs up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

This time yesterday i was a bit angry with the amount stated UTD were spending on this player. After a bit more thought and reading up on few things il admit i was being harsh. Its a central midfielder, hes badly needed so, thumbs up!

No harm done, sure its a discussion site and sure we are all (well most of us) supporting the same team and most want the club to do well, we all just have different opinions about how the club should achieve success.

If we all had the same opinion, the place would be boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Anyone think Shaw might try push through the deal. Out of all the big clubs United really are the only side who need a lb. If United sign somebody this season nobody might need him next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Great news; I'm really liking how this deal is being handled.

Source?
    Alistair Fergusson, freelance editor who has worked for ITN, C4, Sky Sports and Premier League retweeted it... Usually a solid chap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I read that Herrera is nearing the end of his contact, so that would explain Bilbao actually willing to sell this summer.

• DM-ICE wrote: »
    I read that Herrera is nearing the end of his contact, so that would explain Bilbao actually willing to sell this summer.
    More like cash in; he's been one of the best players.

DM-ICE wrote: »

There is confusion over this.

English press seem to be saying his contract is up next summer, but I read some spanish articles (translated) this morning that state his contract runs to 2016. AS, for example, say he has only completed the 3rd year of his 5 year contract.

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »
    2 years left.

He signed a 5 year deal in 2011.
    Real Zaragoza and Athletic Club had entered into an agreement for the transfer of the rights of Ander Herrera effective from July 1, 2011," a club statement said."For his part, the player has entered into a contract with Athletic club from the 2011-12 season until the 2015-16 season inclusive, with a buyout clause of 36million euros for the first three seasons and €40 million for the last two."

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

buyout clause of 36million euros for the first three seasons and €40 million for the last two.

That makes absolutely zero sense. Why would the clause be higher when he has less time on his contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

remember reading an article a while back saying that United needed to get back to the old way of doing things, and cited the Hernandez transfer - where we agreed to play a friendly vs Chivas on the condition that the transfer was not leaked before it was made official. Seemingly United giving extras or incentives to keep quiet was fairly common.

I seemed to be a policy of the Gill/Ferguson era, though it certsinly didn't happen all the time. Plenty of transfers leaked under their watch too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

That makes absolutely zero sense. Why would the clause be higher when he has less time on his contract?

Possibly as a guard against selling him for less due to his contract having less time on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

KH25 wrote: »
    Possibly as a guard against selling him for less due to his contract having less time on it?

YES THATS EXACTLY IT AND ALSO THE FACT THAT bILBAO CAN ONLY SIGN bASQUE PLAYERS, THEREFORE FINDING A REPLACMENT IS EXTREMELY TOUGH AND THEY MOSTLY PROMOTE FROM WITHIN, THEREFORE THEY WAIT UNTIL BUYOUT CLAUSES ARE MET IN FULL IN MOST CASES.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Look at the Fellaini disaster. We ended up paying more at the end of the summer than we could have paid weeks earlier because of contract clauses.

At least it could be argued that Herrara has improved as a player in that last 10 months, a year older is a year wiser at that age. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The club probably, and rightly, anticipated he would be a hot property and in a player is always somewhat up for grabs running into the last 1/2 years of their contract.

It ensures the club receive substantial return on the player, rather then any messing whereby the player winds down the contract then walks for free, or it being used as a negotiation tactic that the player is nearing the end of his contract.

You can bet your bollox, regardless of age, RVP would not have cost us 24m if he had 3 years left on his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Herrera will be presented as a United player on Friday with a 5 year contract.

Seems to be the latest news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Herrera is much better player now than he was when he signed contract?

So them expecting more money when the player has improved makes sense IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

RobertKK wrote: »
    Herrera will be presented as a United player on Friday with a 5 year contract.

Seems to be the latest news.
    few more great signings and we can take a good bite out of the league table :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Few papers saying we are in advanced talks for Shaw.....I hope not for 40 million.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Few papers saying we are in advanced talks for Shaw.....I hope not for 40 million.

I would expect the Shaw deal to be closer to £40m than £30m, and to include alot of add ons for appearances, trophies, England caps, etc etc etc etc etc blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I would expect the Shaw deal to be closer to £40m than £30m, and to nclude alot of add ons for appearances, trophies, England caps, etc etc etc etc etc blah blah blah.

I was impressed with him last night. But it's just retarded money. 25 million for a young player like that is more than enough. You could arguably get 3 good LB's for 40 million!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Graham Ruthven, a Spanish football writer said Herrera is where Fabregas was 5 years ago at Arsenal and of all the players he watched in the past season he is the best available along with Vidal, Pogba and Modric.

Rumours this morning that we are looking at Strootman, De Jong, Blind and Sanchez/Robben. THink I saw it mentioned that it was Ogden who was saying this - though I seem to remember he has fairly recently admited to not knowing exactly what United were doing since LVG was appointed. So either he is flying a kite or someone at United has given him something to work with. Would assume links to Blind, or other full backs, will increase at the same rate Shaws 'value' appears to be!

I would say Blind is a very likely target given (a) he is dutch and (b) can/has played central midfield so offers versatility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The headlines of "playing a blinder" and "Having a blinder" are worth the fee alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Rumours this morning that we are looking at Strootman, De Jong, Blind and Sanchez/Robben. THink I saw it mentioned that it was Ogden who was saying this - though I seem to remember he has fairly recently admited to not knowing exactly what United were doing since LVG was appointed. So either he is flying a kite or someone at United has given him something to work with. Would assume links to Blind, or other full backs, will increase at the same rate Shaws 'value' appears to be!

I would say Blind is a very likely target given (a) he is dutch and (b) can/has played central midfield so offers versatility.

United interested in Dutch team/World cup player shocker!

I reckon Strootman, Depay and Blind, possibly. The boat is out on Shaw though, no idea what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Blind has been quite impressive at the WC.

I didn't realise till this morning that Blind had won player of the year in the Dutch league last season playing mainly in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

TheDoc wrote: »
    The headlines of "playing a blinder" and "Having a blinder" are worth the fee alone

Nothing will beat the heady days of gems like "Shear Delight" when Alan Shearer was around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I get peoples concerns about the proposed fee for Shaw, but take a moment to consider this.

If Chelsea (for example) came in with a 40m bid and it was accepted and went through, would we be
    a) pissed that we didn't just get the deal done, or
    b) glad we didn't spend big money on a teenager....

Me? Firmly in the 'a' camp - If he's available, go get him, because if we don't somebody else will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I get peoples concerns about the proposed fee for Shaw, but take a moment to consider this.

If Chelsea (for example) came in with a 40m bid and it was accepted and went through, would we be

Me? Firmly in the 'a' camp - If he's available, go get him, because if we don't somebody else will.

I'm pretty sure we could get any lb in the world if we were offering £40m

ACtually, this is what Ogden is saying this morning, different to what I thought it was.

Can't see us going for Shaw and Blind. Also, lacks an attacking threat on that list - such as Robben, Sanchez or even Depay.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10921960/Ander-Herrera-to-sign-for-Manchester-United-for-29m.html
    United remain confident that they will secure the services of Southampton’s England left-back Luke Shaw once he returns from the World Cup, but no renewed bid has been made for the player following an initial offer of £27m at the end of last season.
    Van Gaal is also keen to sign Germany defender Mats Hummels, with the Holland coach also understood to be considering the possibility of moves for members of his Dutch squad, including Ajax midfielder Daley Blind and Nigel de Jong, AC Milan’s former Manchester City midfielder.

Al Capwned wrote: »

if we missed out on Shaw and got no other equally capable left back in I'd be pissed, but I do think there are other targets we could be looking at instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure we could get any lb in the world if we were offering £40m

..or CB or CM.

We could get Hummels or Vidal for that money, if they were inclined to move.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement